42ft Container Flats Pre-orders begin this weekend at Raheny!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

You lot miss nothing!! :)

There is a 'get all 5 for €460' deal, as well as buy any 4 packs (any number of any packs) for €375

On the four pack deal, you can have any mixture you want for the €375 price. Just add the four packs you want to your cart, and the checkout will automatically deduct the difference. Easy peasy! 

The five pack deal is for one of each pack (2x Bell, 2x B&I and 1 CIE) only. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

19 hours ago, Railer said:

They just put it up now. The 5 packs for €460. Great offer if I do say so myself. 👍

counting down...

yer making me stay up to near midnight over here in NZ though lads, and i have to be some sort of sober-ish to be able to order them, on a Saturday!!  the things I do...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chris said:

counting down...

yer making me stay up to near midnight over here in NZ though lads, and i have to be some sort of sober-ish to be able to order them, on a Saturday!!  the things I do...

We like drunk ordering, especially when there's carefree attitude to spending money! 😂

• Funny 3

The Bell liners ran from mid 80s or earlier, I stand to be corrected up to the mid 90s. Yes they ran 40 and 20fts but the 20s were rare. There were even a few reefer versions the odd time. 

The B&I are mystery to me as I never saw them with my own eyes or any pictures of them. 

• Like 2

In 1970s when containers first started to appear, Bell 20ft containers originally ran on 20ft or 22ft two axle container flat wagons. However once jointed rail was gradually replaced by CWR (continuous welded rail) two axle container flat wagons were used less due to the speed restrictions imposed on them because of the dangerous oscillations they developed on CWR at speed. From then on 42ft bogie container flats could carry either two 20ft Bell containers or a single 40ft Bell container at speed on CWR as per the IRM product announcement above. One of the IRM products above has 2 x 20ft CIE containers carried on a 42ft bogie flat. Dates concur with Stephen's comment above.

1 hour ago, Railer said:

The B&I are mystery to me as I never saw them with my own eyes or any pictures of them. 

Me too, I don't recall seeing them, but I knew they were carried on rail and B&I was a well known transport brand in Ireland. Memory can be a strange thing, in my case of suspect memory Bell seemed to be the most common containers followed by Hapag-Lloyd, P&O, and CIE containers.

• Informative 1

A 20' or 40' container in the original B&I grey and red would be nice!

B&I was the 1st company to commission CIE to operate Liner Trains for container traffic in Ireland. Bell originally intended to use road haulage as a feeder to its Waterford Port operations, but was forced to use rail due to the poor state of the road network in the South East and the rest is history so to speak with a highly successful rail operations.

CIE introduced a Cork-Dublin Port B&I Liner Train in the late 60s to act as a feeder into its Dublin Port-UK cargo sailings after B&I shut down its Cork-UK services. The dedicated B&I Liners operated until CIE could provide sufficient capacity on its own liner trains. CIE also operated Liner Trains of export sugar in B&I containers from CSE Carlow to Dublin Port.

The B&I Liners were loaded/unloaded in the B&Is Terminal near the end of the Alexandra Road Tramway.

B&I traffic was carried on 4w 20' wagons until sufficient bogie wagons were in service by the mid-late 70s.

There is a colour photo of a 001 Hauled Cork-North Wall liner (bogie wagons) with B&I containers in the original grey & red livery on the cover of Locomotivces & Rolling Stock of CIE & NIR 1st Edition and a 1972  black & white photo of B181 on a B&I Liner made up of 4w wagons passing Cabra Bank.

The 40& later 35mph speed restriction on 4w wagons were imposed following a series of de-railments of tank wagons on jointed track on the Midland, rather than stability issues with 4w stock on CWR.

These derailments (Dunamon & Moyvalley) may have been due to an overall deteriorating standard of track on the CIE system from the 80s onwards as track maintenance and renewals were deferred until the system reached breaking point in the mid 1990s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Nice pic here of 42ft bogie flats at Mallow carrying a mix of 20ft Bell pairs, and 40ft Bell containers. Some time between 1987 and 1994ish.

Fran, presume we could load any existing C-Rail 20ft containers we might already have onto your new 42ft wagons once lug holes drilled?

CorkWaterfordBellLiner.jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Most of the early B&I containers were 20' the 40' blue containers did not appear until much later below is a link to an O'Dea photo of a single 121 with a B&I liner

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000307819

Is there a height difference in the BI containers in this picture or is my imagination playing tricks on me?

6 hours ago, PJR said:

Is there a height difference in the BI containers in this picture or is my imagination playing tricks on me?

There’s certainly a noticeable difference in the height of the red line/logo. As flange says, early containers were 8ft in height but later were 8’6”. Thanks @flange lubricator For posting. Open to correction on those heights. Does it actually say B&I LineR on the side?

Have seen this photo before but on a mobile so will review later. The O’ DEA collection is a great resource but takes a little while to find things as they not labeled with specifics or tagged.

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Noel said:

Nice pic here of 42ft bogie flats at Mallow carrying a mix of 20ft Bell pairs, and 40ft Bell containers. Some time between 1987 and 1994ish.

Fran, presume we could load any existing C-Rail 20ft containers we might already have onto your new 42ft wagons once lug holes drilled?

CorkWaterfordBellLiner.jpg

Correct Noel, it will be possible.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:46 PM, Noel said:

The C-rail containers are 'flat' and need holes drilled into the base of the container a the appropriate spacing to hold on the IRM 42' flats, correct?

On 10/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, DiveController said:

The C-rail containers are 'flat' and need holes drilled into the base of the container a the appropriate spacing to hold on the IRM 42' flats, correct?

HI All

They are Not flat and have locating holes at the corners like most makes, getting containers to fit on some flats needs adjusting but thats down to different standards unlike NMRA which seem to have pins which  look crap.

I tried my containers on the Hattons wagon the other week and they fitted as they should .

Regards Arran

=C=Rail=

• Thanks 2
  • Informative 2

4 hours ago, DiveController said:

Thanks, Arran. So has anyone fitted your c-Rail container on  IRM flat yet? 

Exactly Rich. The IRM flat has been designed to accommodate the CRail containers as they are the standard Arran says and we chose to use them from the outset. It would be pretty brain dead design wise to design the wagon without considering that tbh. This will be demonstrated when the tooling sample arrives later this year.

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 4

Hi gang,

Not to work you all into a frenzy or anything, but we have passed the 50% pre sold barrier on these beauties already (9 days!) so this is officially the hottest model we have done yet sales wise! We cannot increase the production run on these as the CRail containers have already been ordered and now cannot be changed, so we would advise sticking your name down on these as soon as you can if you're considering them. You know what we're like; once they're gone....

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi gang,

Not to work you all into a frenzy or anything, but we have passed the 50% pre sold barrier on these beauties already (9 days!) so this is officially the hottest model we have done yet sales wise! We cannot increase the production run on these as the CRail containers have already been ordered and now cannot be changed, so we would advise sticking your name down on these as soon as you can if you're considering them. You know what we're like; once they're gone....

Cheers!

Fran 

'Hi Ho  - Hi Ho...''tis back to work I go,  for 42's and an 'A' class too, Hi Ho  - Hi ho - Hi ho - Hi Ho!'

dwarf.png

• Funny 2

On 11/7/2018 at 11:59 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi gang,

Cheers!

Fran 

What are the possibilities of more flats with earlier/different containers or supplied with no containers?

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, DiveController said:

Not quite sure why you wouldn’t use the existing tooling to provide more 42 foot flat but that information is very much appreciated

👍

The market is limited Kevin, as has been explained manny times before. The tooling is being use to make a huge amount of wagons in the 42ft project. As I said, it hasn’t been ruled out, but it won’t be for a good while if indeed it does happen.

Cracking shot Ernie, soon we will have accurate components to form that train in 4mm scale!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3
  • Informative 1