Jump to content

Petersbridge

Rate this topic


JasonB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys. So after spending the last number of years running trains on my Dad's layout, I finally gave in to temptation a while back and decided to put a plan in place to make some sort of start on a layout of my own. So this is the first of what will hopefully be many more updates from Petersbridge over the coming month's and beyond. But before anything else the layout obviously needed a home. Here's the progress to date...

First thing to do was submit planning permission to her indoors, and after spending a week or so convincing her that the back garden wouldn't be completely ruined with what I wanted to plonk into it (plus some heavy bribery) permission was eventually granted.

With the green light given the next couple of weekends were spent clearing some small trees and hedging on one side of the garden. This hadn't been part of the original plan but after a rethink and some more measuring I felt I could gain a little more space and decided to go for it while the going was good.

With the area now cleared and marked out, in went a concrete base. Again this wasn't originally planned and was another added cost but I felt long term it was the right way to go considering the size of the frame going in and the problems you can face with damp etc further down the line. With the hard graft now out of the way and the concrete set I could finally make the call to have the new man cave delivered.

100_1438.thumb.JPG.2c4278410d5646974342c38cbe107026.JPG

100_1432.thumb.JPG.13efd2d8ccc2ce8609d86ebce99bd63d.JPG

100_1435.thumb.JPG.61561f27047d728887d49176e6e1c352.JPG

Unfortunately, with one thing and another the only progress made since the pictures above were taken earlier this year is that the outside has had a couple of coats of paint. But its now back at the top of my to do list and my priority over the next few weeks is to insulate the interior and get some power connected before the winter really takes hold. Once this is done I can then start thinking about the baseboards.

Obviously there's absolutely nothing to look at regarding a railway at the moment and some might even be thinking what's the point of the post? But I felt it was time to start the thread somewhere and I thought why not from the very beginning, from the ground up so to speak, and update from here on in. With regards to the layout itself I've plenty to be getting on with when it comes to various buildings and scenics etc without the need for the baseboards to be in place, so I will be cracking on with some of those smaller jobs over the coming weeks also.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice space there Jason, this is going to be fun to watch develop.

My only suggestion on the shed, and you have probably considered this- is to install roof gutters and down pipes. This will stop water dripping from the corrugated sheeted roof onto the wall, generally it hits the wall low down and causes dampness to the lower planks and the floor edge if no guttering is installed.

Also the added extension of the gutters weather the wall better from the rain.

Eoin

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

best of luck with the build - if I may suggest - be sure there are no leaks anywhere in the roof or walls before you insulate. My bunker was leaking for months as the complete gobshite who put the roof on placed the felt length ways and they didn't even overlap the felt at the apex of the roof.  It proved very costly to repair as the whole roof and insulation had to be replaced! :((

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Best of luck with your new project Jason.:tumbsup:

Thanks Noel, long long way to go yet but it's a start I suppose :) 

 

19 hours ago, murrayec said:

Nice space there Jason, this is going to be fun to watch develop.

My only suggestion on the shed, and you have probably considered this- is to install roof gutters and down pipes. This will stop water dripping from the corrugated sheeted roof onto the wall, generally it hits the wall low down and causes dampness to the lower planks and the floor edge if no guttering is installed.

Also the added extension of the gutters weather the wall better from the rain.

Eoin

Cheers Eoin, thanks for the advice. Yes I've already looked at installing the gutters and it's definitely something that needs doing sooner rather than later. Your spot on regarding the rain water running down the sides. I've only recently noticed it myself with the change in weather and it's certainly something that could cause problems down the road if it wasn't addressed. 

 

18 hours ago, heirflick said:

best of luck with the build - if I may suggest - be sure there are no leaks anywhere in the roof or walls before you insulate. My bunker was leaking for months as the complete gobshite who put the roof on placed the felt length ways and they didn't even overlap the felt at the apex of the roof.  It proved very costly to repair as the whole roof and insulation had to be replaced! :((

Nice and secure on that front heirflick :tumbsup: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Cheers Eoin, thanks for the advice. Yes I've already looked at installing the gutters and it's definitely something that needs doing sooner rather than later. Your spot on regarding the rain water running down the sides. I've only recently noticed it myself with the change in weather and it's certainly something that could cause problems down the road if it wasn't addressed. 

Often a greater problem, which it will also greatly reduce, is splash from the soil at the base - a great rot-promoter.

And you can let The Authorities know that you have made such great efforts to collect rainwater for the plants in their beloved garden....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats Jason on your progress, that's looking like a very impressive location, ( man shed ) & your right in getting the all important issues of insulation done, before you start on the railway, no matter how eager you may be, I know just how eager one can get...! to my own disappointment ..😓  So keep on with your plans & let us know how you're doing, best of luck...👍👍👍

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Congrats Jason on your progress, that's looking like a very impressive location, ( man shed ) & your right in getting the all important issues of insulation done, before you start on the railway, no matter how eager you may be, I know just how eager one can get...! to my own disappointment ..😓  So keep on with your plans & let us know how you're doing, best of luck...👍👍👍

Paul

Cheers Paul. Yes I have to admit the temptation to just get things up and running after the shed went in was certainly there. But I was adamant I wanted to do this right from the very beginning, so hopefully it will pay off down the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, heirflick said:

Remember Jason what I said about double checking for leaks?  The rain over the last few days caused a major leak that I had to take a section from the ceiling and wall to find the source🙄

20181129_135413.jpg

Believe it or not i was only thinking about what you said in your post a couple of weeks back, and first thing I done yesterday evening when I got home was went out and checked the shed considering the combination of strong winds and heavy rain. Still no issues on that front I'm pleased to report, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it over the winter 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 11:20 AM, Broithe said:

Often a greater problem, which it will also greatly reduce, is splash from the soil at the base - a great rot-promoter.

And you can let The Authorities know that you have made such great efforts to collect rainwater for the plants in their beloved garden....

One way of combatting the splash of soil is to install a concrete flag around the perimeter of the shed. I have been able to do this one all sides except one and it works. The rear end of the shed is close to a tree and from time to time I run a small hand brush over the surface to clear the dusty soil deposit. I am considering fitting a clear perspex strip to the lower base of the shed here to protect it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Driving rain tracking in between the concrete slab and floor seems to be the biggest risk with your shed, the floor slab appears to be high enough off the ground to minimise the risk of rainwater water splash causing problems.

The flashing detail to the barges is not great and could be improved, on the plus side corrugated iron and  weatherboard are very effective cladding systems and will last indefinitely once they are installed correctly and adequately maintained, our house was built in 1924 most of the weatherboard and timber framing is original, original roofing iron replaced after 70-80 years

I would look seriously at adding another strip of weather board (rustic or shiplap) or ripping a strip of treated plywood to provide a min 50mm overlap between the weatherboard and the concrete slab as detailed below.

If its to last any length of time pine weatherboard should be painted with a paint system such as Dulux Weathershield or Wattyl Solaguard. (Primer and min 2 coats)

Detail are from NZS Standard for Timber Frame Building so the timber sections and concrete slab design is heavier but the basic principals can be applied to a garden shed.

 

Image result for weatherboard detail at foundation level

 

A purpose made barge flashing and closing in the end of the ridge will provide better protection to the gables than the current arrangement.

The correct metal flashings are fairly inexpensive.

Rilco Roofing Products or Tegral should be able to point you in the right direction.

Image result for nz building code barge flashing

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jason

Where does one stop! Though John has a valid point about the slab edge detail, though I would not close off the void under the floor fully, all the timbers in the void need air ventilation from the underside.

Here is an idea that I have used in the past- a galvanised steel drip pressing installed behind the lower weather sheeting plank, dressed up behind the sheeting and fixed to the studs, the lower plank has to be removed to do this! the drip pressing is carried outwards and then down to cover the conc slab edge with a little turn up to create a drip. Rodent mesh could be installed behind to close off creature access into the void under the floor but still allow ventilation.....

303486793_ShedFlashing-00.jpg.5926455163a353b216e5c96876ae74fe.jpg

The flashing out turn should be about 10mm below the the weather sheeting so that water is not held up against the timber edge.

If you consider doing something like this, do the barges also as John suggests- it will pay for it's self in the end!

Eoin

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, murrayec said:

Hi Jason

Where does one stop! Though John has a valid point about the slab edge detail, though I would not close off the void under the floor fully, all the timbers in the void need air ventilation from the underside.

Here is an idea that I have used in the past- a galvanised steel drip pressing installed behind the lower weather sheeting plank, dressed up behind the sheeting and fixed to the studs, the lower plank has to be removed to do this! the drip pressing is carried outwards and then down to cover the conc slab edge with a little turn up to create a drip. Rodent mesh could be installed behind to close off creature access into the void under the floor but still allow ventilation.....

303486793_ShedFlashing-00.jpg.5926455163a353b216e5c96876ae74fe.jpg

The flashing out turn should be about 10mm below the the weather sheeting so that water is not held up against the timber edge.

If you consider doing something like this, do the barges also as John suggests- it will pay for it's self in the end!

Eoin

 

 

Eoin's detail is spot on & should prevent any long term problems at floor level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These remedies are all fine but most garden sheds, including mine, came pre-built. So unless you are willing to remove the bottom TG&V boards you will have to look at other solutions. Forming an apron with flags around is one, placing a PVC land drain around the base of the shed is another and thank god I also have the shelter provided by a big maple tree that forms some shelter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Evening Gents, 

It's been a while since the first post way back in November 2018, but plans for the layout are still very much alive. The recent combination of some work being carried out around the house and my never ending battle with time, has resulted in progress on the shed being a little slower than I had hoped for of late. 

Although saying that, things are moving in the right direction, with the majority of work which needed doing now complete. So here's a quick update as to where I'm currently at... 

First to the exterior. Original windows have been taken out and replaced with double glazed pvc. It was another added cost, but the benefits have been well worth the investment. Gutters were tackled a couple of weekends back, along with covering the exposed area's of the frame with flashing. 

IMG_20190713_160430.thumb.jpg.1b8b1aa0377a70cc40c6623c6ffbd9f2.jpg

IMG_20190714_105232.thumb.jpg.3234888300e50d87aaf40676029047b5.jpg

Site supervisor keeps a close eye on things :) 

IMG_20190622_133807.thumb.jpg.4a4317c8ad56144561bb641a3d1e9eea.jpg

As for the interior. Walls and roof have now been insulated, slabbed and skimmed. Floors have also been covered, and painting was finished last weekend. 

IMG_20190727_170242.thumb.jpg.ad97ad2f085e46af32a09312275a4ae1.jpg

IMG_20190727_165817.thumb.jpg.79b623967b9b50ac3b2fd3a8b518bab9.jpg

IMG_20190727_170353.thumb.jpg.9b8b1cca15d6c8587ffac4f9f4488825.jpg

Just the electrics to sort now, and then I'll finally be ready to really start planning for the layout itself. 

  • Like 7
  • WOW! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Looking fantastic Jason I like the colour on the shed too.

Rich,

Cheers Rich. Her Indoors picked the colours. Anything to keep her sweet after bulldozing half the back garden :)

 

19 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Splendid, to say the least! What are the internal dimensions?

Thanks David. 20ft X 10ft overall, so I've a decent bit of space to play with when I'm eventually up and running. I was pushing for a little bigger but I ran out of luck in the end :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use