42ft Sample Arrives

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

I believe that these are probably 638A &639A converted from 2962-2971 4w TPOs/sorting vans. Spray control coach would probably still be at the back. At times there seem to have been 2 tool vans and (more recently?) just one. Open to correction as weedsprayer not my particular forte 

Edited by DiveController

11 hours ago, Wexford70 said:

What were these original wagons from early 1970s in L'derry?

image.png.b64ad61317bbf1a5701a5e7e6032fb13.png

The water tanks swap-bodies were converted from CIE owned tank wagons built in the late 50s/early 60s, the wagons are standard 20' skeletal container wagons introduced in 1970.

The tank wagons had a bullied triangulated underframe (similar to corrugated open wagons & H vans built during the 1950s/60s).

CIE converted the tank wagons to swap-bodies by removing the running gear and extending the underframe to 20' and fitting container cup locks.

Photos and information on the tank wagons in their original form is scarse, some were built for stores oil and industrial alcohol traffic from the Chemi Teo plants in Cooley & Donegal

Irish Railways Today (1967) H Richards & B Pender has details of the numbers but no photos of the tank wagons in their original condition.

The 4w vans are conversions of Bulleif 4wTPO.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Apart from the spoil wagons, are the 42' wagons still used on any other trains these days?

Still on the IWTs. Generally 2 42fts with 16 47fts in a rake of wagons. Still part of the former weedsprasy formation now used only as brake force in the Sperry train.

• Informative 1

On 6/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback! Here it is with some of the forthcoming containers to give you a flavour of what to expect! We should have a sample of the CIE 20ft container in the coming weeks to see what it looks like too!

1744447457_BI1.thumb.jpg.10d6c74e848855dba79b4be3c9dd00f7.jpg

1262658229_BI2.thumb.jpg.90d4127ec5858c066f4276fe1d5738cb.jpg

1067501629_Bell1.thumb.jpg.77d22e7605b9ba2b57c983938d19ffdc.jpg

906788828_Bell2.thumb.jpg.fdf35d4a35ebfb7340a3338e36803f32.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

I've done it again, just soiled myself.That is just an absolute beauty. :drool:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Apart from the spoil wagons, are the 42' wagons still used on any other trains these days?

Two are used for transporting the Donelli relaying gantries-and are fitted for both air and vacuum duel brake working-now there is a challenge for you Richie...hint hint..no pressure....😋

IMG_7317.JPG

IMG_7318.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

While we were off air we got a sample of our CIE 20ft containers. We are assessing them at the moment and have some amendments to make, but moving in the right direction! We will have better pics once I get the sample back off our technical director! 

1034851098_ciecontainers.thumb.jpg.62714aa5988b441b479018609fc30288.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 8

Hi gang,

Having the craic with the flat and containers in the liner yard on the new office layout (more from that soon!) 

592186461_CIE20ftPort2.thumb.jpg.cb8103fe6c325c28c033e2303928cde2.jpg

We had to make a few alterations to the sample as you can probably work out, but production continues and they will be with us in the coming weeks. Obviously you like liners as much as we do, as these are the fastest selling wagons we have done to date. Cheers for that!

If you fancy some this is the link to click! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/container-liners 

1062979068_CIE20ftPort1.thumb.jpg.20ad31df79fac42e36ba0dd2e3fd5c30.jpg

Remember, it's any 4 packs for €375 and all 5 packs for €460. And yes, we are doing the CIE 20ft container as a separate item. More news on prices etc soon!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • WOW! 2

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi gang,

Having the craic with the flat and containers in the liner yard on the new office layout (more from that soon!) 

592186461_CIE20ftPort2.thumb.jpg.cb8103fe6c325c28c033e2303928cde2.jpg

We had to make a few alterations to the sample as you can probably work out, but production continues and they will be with us in the coming weeks. Obviously you like liners as much as we do, as these are the fastest selling wagons we have done to date. Cheers for that!

If you fancy some this is the link to click! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/container-liners 

1062979068_CIE20ftPort1.thumb.jpg.20ad31df79fac42e36ba0dd2e3fd5c30.jpg

Remember, it's any 4 packs for €375 and all 5 packs for €460. And yes, we are doing the CIE 20ft container as a separate item. More news on prices etc soon!

Cheers!

Fran

Fantastic looking wagon gents-any chance of placing a 20' tank in the centre of the wagon just for comparison please?

Or two tanks to replicate the empty tank return working-for present day modelling?

See attached photos.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

• Like 5

On 6/22/2019 at 7:36 PM, DiveController said:

I believe that these are probably 638A &639A converted from 2962-2971 4w TPOs/sorting vans.......

Correct. One (dunno which) is now at Downpatrick and will be restored as a passenger brake vehicle, as one or two were actually briefly converted to in CIE days.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, DiveController said:

Shame it's not a sorting van but there is the green bogie TPO, ...

I can see that the brake van  might have greater utility 

I see what you mean, DiveController.

Several of these vans (four, I think but could be wrong) were actually used as brake vans for a while, so it isn't totally unauthentic. Naturally, in this state it should be technically only black'n'tan, while if converted to a TPO it could be silver or green. DCDR policy at the moment is to paint all coaches green, much the same shade which is close to earlier CIE, and lighter than UTA. The idea is uniformity rather than accuracy, much like the RPSI's Cravens.

You know me - I think anything preserved should look the way it was, but that's just my opinion and I respect those of others....the RPSI's "Harvey" is now, I understand, being painted in Isle of Man apple green, to match a badly inaccurately painted GNR guard's van...there's "uniformity of inaccuracy" for you...but again, having been that youth with paintbrush myself forty years ago, I will never, ever criticise the work of any volunteer in any sphere. Just the colour!

Rant over; back to the TPO: my understanding is that the DCDR will use it as a passenger brake, and to carry children's buggies in. A space for a wheelchair has, I think, also been considered, but I would advise against it as there are only windows on one side, and these vans were NOTORIOUSLY bad to ride in! Noisy and bumpy.....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 2:35 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Any update on delivery?

Hi Gareth,

Because the wagon is mainly diecast it has taken longer than usual for the alterations, but they are done now. Production has begun and we expect them in stock in mid September. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 3

28 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi Gareth,

Because the wagon is mainly diecast it has taken longer than usual for the alterations, but they are done now. Production has begun and we expect them in stock in mid September. 

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks for the update. Just planning finances!😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2111403083_CIE20fts.thumb.jpg.043cb54d8e88e024222e4d5818061897.jpg

What have we here?! It's been a long time coming, with many, many hurdles to clear, but project 42 is edging closer! We will have a full update on liner delivery dates this week, along with some previews of ferts and the opening of the order book!

Keep an eye out for further updates this week and drop by to see more at the Stillorgan train and toy sale show this Sunday!
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 2