42ft Sample Arrives

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Decorated Liner Samples!

Our 'Project 42' has been a massive undertaking, with the wagon becoming five projects in one and taking a long time to come to fruition, but we now finally on the home straight!

1001479520_20ftCIEContainers.thumb.JPG.e1d4050e4a62365a0c7fe650ad7b2bbc.JPG

1765358568_BI.thumb.JPG.1fe3f24d5b26350dda69ff30162bd5bb.JPG

Bell.thumb.JPG.157faee6e1486515596c97a073d9b81e.JPG

As you can see, we received some decorated samples of the liners. There a some decoration corrections to be made, but that has already been sent to China. The coupling mechanism caused a lot of head scratching and didn't function on our first sample, so this took a lot of work to sort, including tooling changes to get right. As it was dealing with die-cast, it took a lot of work.

Production has begun, and delivery is in mid-October. It's taken far longer than we would've liked, but we had to ensure that they function correctly as well as look great.

Dont miss out on these babies, order yours today: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/container-liners
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 7

Oh they are just stunning. This project might have taken that bit longer than expected Fran, but the results just go to show yet again, that good things come to those who wait. You and the lads at IRM should be immensely proud of your achievements to date.Highest of respect from here. 

• Like 2

Brilliant - just Brilliant! - they look the absolute business - bodes well for the rest of the project if a bit ominously for my finances!

Just sent ye a mail there to ask if I can add another 2 sets to existing 2 sets I've ordered ( and Yes I am cheekily asking if there is any chance of qualifying for the 4 pack discount!)

Ed

1 hour ago, scahalane said:

The CIE containers look a little too yellowish rather than orange/brown, was this its original colour?

I blame my photography skills on that one, but the research material suggests suggest they were quite bright in colour when clean 

C0B4BA50-63F7-4956-82E1-DA602AC4C868.thumb.jpeg.8cea31065a85733a71a4dd47fb194b93.jpeg

Richie dirtied one up too, uniload 10 footers seemed darker in colour than these 20fts?

FE318C82-2F09-41A2-9E11-37F5891305BB.thumb.jpeg.978c05520420970922ee0f23f95c307d.jpeg

We’re going to have another look but we think it’s pretty close?

• Like 2

There would have been numerous batches of CIE 20' containers built over the years, all with slight detail differences and paint colour finishes. It depends on the specific type of container that IRM are modelling, but from memory, the colour looks too bright. Pretty sure that while some batches of these containers had the brighter colour, the majority of the 20' containers carried a darker orange during their service, which would have only got darker over time through weathering, as the majority would have never seen a repaint. 

I have checked back through the many photos that I saved over the years, and well lets just say, there might be forty shades of green, but most likely 80 shades of orange, so no easy task for the IRM lads here.

I will upload a few photos that I found, but I should state that these are not my own personal photos, but ones that I have saved for reference material over the years.

Screenshot_20190904-102331_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-102420_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-102938_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20190904-103738_Flickr.jpg

2019-09-04_10-44-46.jpg

• Like 3

Hi iarnrod,

Great photos, but I would argue that they are heavily weathered for the most part, with the one at the end in Inchicore cleanest, which indeed looks like a repaint into orange. Repaints may have got orange, but as delivered (and many were not repainted) were lighter in our experience. We white balanced that pic to get a colour representation, and as you can see at this clean part of the nearmost container is a close match for our shade. You can also see in the cleaner parts of the the container along the side that it has a lighter shade.

1428288453_White_Balanced_20_Containers.jpg.0f3299b3cde6fa979631eea54db391d4.jpg

I would say that my pic last night is taken in very bright conditions (my bad on that one). The weedspray container itself is in a poor shape paint wise and the container representing this will be a different shade on our model of that train.

If you look around the door mech and handles in the below pic you can see the proper colour of these containers. They will look great weathered I agree, but this was the ex works colour going by the evidence we found. 

1031381147_CIE20Containerharp.thumb.jpg.0f2e8f7d5d4cafa3d07c405294833bd6.jpg

I would say ours just look a bit odd as they were under a very bright light, I brightened the pic up slightly to bring out the wagon underframe details and it was very rare you saw a clean one. If I pile them in more normal light in the office you can see they are a darker shade. (no trickery done to the below) 

526727079_CIE20fts.thumb.jpg.afd04b7e4479402d33fff35499865977.jpg

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

I worked for Irish Rail for a time and remember the Twenty footer used to deliver the post every morning to be collected by An Post. The container had some patches where clean paint was revealed and the photo of the 4 containers Fran posted from the office looks dam close to how I remember seeing that container in Plunkett as mentioned.

Rich,

• Like 3

I'm definitely planning a rake of the CIE containers even before I'd buy the Bells and B&I's (blasphemous, I know) :bishopbrennan:and one good thing about Fran's original photo (after my chest pains eased) is that it prompted a lot of great shots being posted above.

I don't really want to have to weather every container immediately on arrival so I'm glad to see the later photo which is probably as light as I ever remember these thing in the yard. Very eye catching photos though, they really look well with the container loads only. Really nice job!!

• Like 1

Oh, Joy, this new container ISN'T the same as the one Michael did for me two years ago!

Take a look at mine on my website -

http://www.provincialwagons.com/cie-wagons/

So you can have a nice mixture of containers AND we have a 20ft flat for you to put it on!

Mine looks very bright (it isn't really, just my lousy photography), but I've no doubt that the weather-beaten types among you will have a field day mucking them up - mind you the 4mm to the foot graffiti looks quite a challenge! 

Loved your weathering, Richie.

Leslie

• Like 1

Can someone enlighten me about the two channels in the containers for the tines of the forklift? As you can see from the photos above, they exist on some containers , not on others and a bit of both on the model. Were the containers modified at some point in time or were there batches of each from the outset? The ability to unload the flat wagon without an overhead crane was obviously necessary at some (more remote?) locations? TIA

The containers would have been supplied to CIE complete with forklift pockets. https://www.hapag-lloyd.com/content/dam/website/downloads/press_and_media/publications/15211_Container_Specification_engl_Gesamt_web.pdf

As far as I know all the 10' containers used for sundries traffic and some of the 20' CIE containers were manufactured with forklift pockets. Container pockets can be useful for moving containers around a factory, freight depot or container storage yard.

The biggest drawback using forklift tines to load containers was that the gross container load was restricted to 7.5 tonne, at some yards including Tralee and Ballinasloe forklifts with lifting gear capable of lifting 25t containers 20-40 length  were provided rather than a gantry.

• Informative 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, scahalane said:

The CIE containers look a little too yellowish rather than orange/brown, was this its original colour?

They were always orange, never yellow.

As they aged, they began to look yellowish, as per the photo above taken at Mallow. Some looked slightly brownish, like the derelict one at Whitehead. But always orange, same as on carriages and locomotives, rather than the post-1990 brighter shade.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi iarnrod,

Great photos, but I would argue that they are heavily weathered for the most part, with the one at the end in Inchicore cleanest, which indeed looks like a repaint into orange. Repaints may have got orange, but as delivered (and many were not repainted) were lighter in our experience. We white balanced that pic to get a colour representation, and as you can see at this clean part of the nearmost container is a close match for our shade. You can also see in the cleaner parts of the the container along the side that it has a lighter shade.

1428288453_White_Balanced_20_Containers.jpg.0f3299b3cde6fa979631eea54db391d4.jpg

I would say that my pic last night is taken in very bright conditions (my bad on that one). The weedspray container itself is in a poor shape paint wise and the container representing this will be a different shade on our model of that train.

If you look around the door mech and handles in the below pic you can see the proper colour of these containers. They will look great weathered I agree, but this was the ex works colour going by the evidence we found. 

1031381147_CIE20Containerharp.thumb.jpg.0f2e8f7d5d4cafa3d07c405294833bd6.jpg

I would say ours just look a bit odd as they were under a very bright light, I brightened the pic up slightly to bring out the wagon underframe details and it was very rare you saw a clean one. If I pile them in more normal light in the office you can see they are a darker shade. (no trickery done to the below) 

526727079_CIE20fts.thumb.jpg.afd04b7e4479402d33fff35499865977.jpg

Cheers,

Fran

Answering the other post about colour, this is exactly what they looked like in traffic. Initially painted the same orange colour as the lower half of carriages, they received less attention than carriages did, so they faded to the above.

Outside my era but I might need one or two!

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:01 AM, Warbonnet said:

I blame my photography skills on that one, but the research material suggests suggest they were quite bright in colour when clean 

C0B4BA50-63F7-4956-82E1-DA602AC4C868.thumb.jpeg.8cea31065a85733a71a4dd47fb194b93.jpeg

Richie dirtied one up too, uniload 10 footers seemed darker in colour than these 20fts?

FE318C82-2F09-41A2-9E11-37F5891305BB.thumb.jpeg.978c05520420970922ee0f23f95c307d.jpeg

We’re going to have another look but we think it’s pretty close?

Same colour, normal orange. See photos above with carriages and an A class for comparison. All orange, all weathered!

A point for the purist; the bogies painted black with blue and green bits is a modern variation. When operating with the CIE containers, B & I or Bells, the bogies were all brown. Presumably variations of both are included?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1