JM Design rtr GSR/Ranks Bulk Grain and Irish Standard Open Wagons

Rate this topic

Mayner

Thats a very interesting picture F.L. It looks like the grain wagon ruptured or deliberately emptied  by the look of all the grain on the floor. But if you look further into the picture could those be Guinness kegs in the wagon that has reared up?  And there is a road tanker down by the L.C. that is I would think pumping fuel out of one of the tank wagons there looks to be a large braided fuel hose snaking  towards that tank wagon on the left. That would have been a disaster if one of those rail tanks leaked.  Thanks for posting and finding the picture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are not proceeding further with the commissioning of the bulk grain wagon and open wagon at this stage primarily as a result of uncertainty of the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the World economy, but may re-visit the models at a later date.

I would like to thank everyone who has expressed support for the project, by completed the survey, responding to this thread and who contacted me directly.

Although the survey results were encouraging with over 75% of people who responded interested in both types of wagon the sample size of 74 (including members of this thread, customers and people who responded on social media) was relatively small considering the size of the Irish railway modelling community.

• Like 3

You see plenty of Polls surveys for model of the year and Wish list etc but looking at the volume of people actually voting it seem to only capture a small section of People. TBH I did not even see a Survey on this but you could add me to the list for the Red ones if it ever happens!

Would of been nice for the B&T stuff too. Maybe later as you say but I would imagine these would move along quite nicely TBH, all the Dapol grey 4W Stuff went and they were on UK products so if you have a good outlet to move em on surely these would sell away. (Easy to say when its not my money though)

Now a nice Bandon Tank Train pack with suitable stock would be very nice :)

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

Sorry, John, sad news and surprising that there was not enough support for the open wagon even if the grain was maybe a less mainstream. Not sure what we're going to run with all the early A class and grey 121s pretty imminent now. Thanks for all the work you put into it. K

John’s additions would have been perfect - but Leslie’s Provincial Wagons are perfect for the era, as are a few repaints of certain types of British wagons (ONLY a few of them!) and the early grey cement bubbles from IRM Towers.

SSM kits of the era too.

Worsley, Silverfox, Murphy, IFM & SSM all provide various kits and RTR carriages. 

.....and one pot of grey paint does the lot!

Go past 1970, and while the “snails” and steam engines are long gone, repainted brown wagons start to appear.....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

In the notes of someone very familiar with grain operations in Limerick I have  just come across the following: as there were no rail sidings at the docks, grain wagons were unloaded into open bulk grain lorries near Limerick station - by virtue of cutting a hole in the road bridge at Carey’s Road and discharging the wagons into the lorries underneath. 

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1