Would you model in 21mm if RTR track and models were readily available?

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Would you model in 21mm if RTR track and models were readily available?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Would you model in 21mm if RTR track and models were readily available?

• Absolutely yes!
    • Maybe, if it was cost neutral?
    • No way!

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Studio Scale Models 6 Wheelers
Came in a set of Five
1st
image.thumb.jpeg.bd9c803c45c3318174ed8781164c9304.jpeg

Comp
image.thumb.jpeg.01abbe50b618715aabbf420cd2101f7b.jpeg

All 3rd
image.thumb.jpeg.43fff4351e98e8017920bb4325a68be7.jpeg

Brake 3rd
image.thumb.jpeg.d5942c12863ee878f95c7956a8222bb5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c441523ee8b2cae1e0ba80377f51d078.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf752b7479671265f66c883ce33d1886.jpeg

Undercarriage detail

image.thumb.jpeg.da2f2b6ac773835af38cfaa02710b077.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f035fb05a0e74687af7ad714f5343780.jpeg

The SSM GSWR 6 wheelers were originally supplied boxed in sets of 5. In recent years under Des Sullivan's ownership the coaches were available individually unboxed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Couple of Midland wagons this morning
And a GSWR van

image.thumb.jpeg.bcba03efd82103563b5dc95327a66c5b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0941193237e553103bd8171370e43de8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6de3fc6028c1961b26a9d8436e904ab5.jpeg

The Midland & GSWR Convertibles are Studio Scale Models and may still be available.

The MGWR Coal Wagons are "Jeremy Suter Irish Kits" One batch produced 20 years ago, the Rolls Royce of whitemetal kits rare by any standards.

• Like 1

On 21/2/2024 at 7:25 AM, David Holman said:

Whoever built all these certainly knew what they were doing. Single maker or more than one/separate painter? 

Interestingly, having looked at all the photos so far, it does look to me like there's a slight variation in the depth of the wheel flanges amongst some of the models. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Interestingly, having looked at all the photos so far, it does look to me like there's a slight variation in the depth of the wheel flanges amongst some of the models. 

There are variations in wheel profile between different manufacturers of so called EMF profile wheels, which may affect flange depth.

There was variance in thread width  between earlier and later batches of Sharman B profile wheels.

The EMF Standard specifies:                                                                 P4 Standard secified

F T (effective thickness) 25-thou/0.65mm                            FT (Effective) 0.35-0.40mm

Flange depth varies.

TW (tyre width) 90-thou-2.28                                                 TW             1.85-2.00mm

Standard info from Tables 1 and 2 "An Approach to Building FINESCALE TRACK in 4mm Iain Rice 1991

Specifying a max-min makes more sense from a manufacturing perspective than specifying an absolute.

Sharman

Actual TW          TMD Midland Tank    Sharman B Profile  1984-5     2.25-2.29 mm

SSM SG2                   Sharman B Profile  2002-3    2.14- 2.17mm

TMD J15                    Sharman B Profile   1994-5     2.16-2.19mm

SSM S                        Gibson EMF Profile  2002-3      2.27mm

Coach wheel             Ultrascale EMF                         2.23-2.27

I measured TWs using a calipers with a digital read out: 

The Sharman B profile wheels were set with a B-B of 19.5 using a TMD B-B gauge same B-B ran without problems on the MRSI Loughrea laid to EMF Standards on which group members used a combination of Ultrascale and Jackson (wagon and coach) wheels set with a B-B of 19.3. 

A 19.5mm B-B was used on locos and stock built by Tim Cramer featured in a Railway Modeller article in the early 70s, locos built by Tim included a Bandon Tank, GSWR 90, a Midland Tank and a J15 Chassis.

I now set the B-B on locos fitted with Gibson or Ultrascale wheels to 19.3 which is consistent when using EMF profile wheels and running clearances.

Dave:

Is Brian who built the majority of the locos and stock that ran on the Loughrea Layout still with us or able to advise? Frank who was the guiding light in terms of trackwork passed away several years ago.  I got involved when I returned for the UK in the mid 90s after most of the hard work was done 😀

Restoring the layout would be a great way of acknowledging the effort of the team that came up with the idea, built and worked on the layout all those years ago.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

John
Brian's wife passed some years back and he took it very hard, hasn't been seen in the club since
As stated earlier I hope to resurrect Loughrea after our 3 day show in October
I managed to pick up a few bits from Brian from the layout and will post some pics when the current 21mm stuff is all posted

• Like 1

Another stunner. Interesting to read about back to back standards. I used 19.3 on Fintonagh for wagon and coach wheels (Branchlines), with Code 83 rail and 1mm flangeways. The wheels have fairly fine treads and anything more than 0.3mm out can cause problems. Could be my track laying though!

27 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

RPSI have quietly made considerable strides over the last decade in building an all-new one.

Yes, I am aware of that. My heart applauds the project. My head says a second WT would have been a more prudent use of the spare parts. These spares - the boiler and wheels - are the core of the second Jeep that the RPSI could - and would have - bought in 1971 had the funds been available. I was born in Carrickfergus in spring 1971 - only realised recently that a mile from the hospital a number of Jeeps still slumbered awaiting their appointment with the oxy torch. But I don’t want to disrupt @WRENNEIREs thread. Hopefully he’s got a 21mm WT to post!! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Yes, I am aware of that. My heart applauds the project. My head says a second WT would have been a more prudent use of the spare parts. These spares - the boiler and wheels - are the core of the second Jeep that the RPSI could - and would have - bought in 1971 had the funds been available. I was born in Carrickfergus in spring 1971 - only realised recently that a mile from the hospital a number of Jeeps still slumbered awaiting their appointment with the oxy torch. But I don’t want to disrupt @WRENNEIREs thread. Hopefully he’s got a 21mm WT to post!! 

The wheels and some of the motion were salvaged from no.54, I think. I don't think the RPSI managed to save a spare boiler, otherwise they wouldn't be building an all new boiler and firebox now.

Interesting to note that the driving wheel pattern is the same one used on the LMS Black Five. 

• Like 2

Thanks - sadly my RPSI knowledge has lapsed from the minute by minute currency I had in my childhood! There are a few spare boiler projects kicking around in GB so my synapses must have made a false connection … Going back to those RPSI days, when I basically travelled on any trip doing fundraising,  the carriage officer was Alan Edgar, who later built this superb 21mm Mogul 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Finally the last of the locos
UTA ex NCC Class W Mogul "Earl of Ulster" #97
There were 15 in the class and were named after British Nobility and Northern rivers, with the last 4 having not been named.

image.thumb.jpeg.50e3cd370baaa620ab989729c452955a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a90e0dd3f371778c329ff844eb364e34.jpeg

Lovely model, Dave, but Wikipedia (or somewhere else) has led you astray.

No. 101 was named Lord Massereene in September 1949. "As Every Schoolboy Knows" Viscount Massereene and Ferrard cut the first sod on the Belfast and Ballymena Railway on 6 November 1845 at Whitehouse, Co Antrim - so an appropriate acknowledgment, albeit a century late!

No.103 was named Thomas Somerset in March 1943. Mr Somerset was Chairman of the NCC.

HCC51801LimavadyJct103.thumb.jpg.38a8fbcee3e41fb2f986f4e57f915b72.jpg

As you can clearly see! Limavady Junction 1948. Photo by Henry Casserley, copyright The Syndicate

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks - sadly my RPSI knowledge has lapsed from the minute by minute currency I had in my childhood! There are a few spare boiler projects kicking around in GB so my synapses must have made a false connection … Going back to those RPSI days, when I basically travelled on any trip doing fundraising,  the carriage officer was Alan Edgar, who later built this superb 21mm Mogul 

Alan's Irish 21mm output is sublime

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I recall Brian Fennell had TMD/SSM  CIE J15, GNR S Class 4-4-0 (Black) GNR GG 0-6-0 a 3 Coach rake of SSM GNR Coaches (2 K15 Open+ 1 Brake end)  Rake (5 coaches) SSM GSWR  6 wheel coaches GSR Maroon 1 assembled as a MGWR coach, Scratchbuilt -rake 10-15-Irish Standard Covered Wagons (GNR/MGWR) rake GSWR Cattle Wagons. 

Brian also had a Bandon Tank scracthbuilt by Tim Cramer during the early 70s, Tim disposed of his 4mm collection through Southern Model Railways when he moved up to O Gauge.

All operated ran well at exhibitions, locos had Ultrascale Wheels and Mashima Motors, Wagons were scratchbuilt in plasticard ran on Jackson (brass) wheels on 28mm pin point axle (probably machined by Brian), all stock were fitted with Kadee No 36 couplers. Kadees were very reliable in operation with delayed un-coupling though shunting 14' GSWR cattle wagons cou;d be trick due to the short length of the wagons, I used ran my 14' GNR cattle wagons in pairs with 3 link coupling at one end Kadee at the other avoiding the accidental uncoupling problem when making up a train.

Another member had a 21mm gauge GN JT 2-4-2T a RTR model produced by the late Harry Connaughton a commercial model maker during the early 1970s

662421117_191oncattletrain.jpg.9a7d9373f4ae125e9feb15702ba72398.jpg.1112e189dee2596803d456efb0abb5ee.jpg

TMD J15 191 arriving with a cattle train at MRSI Exhibition Clontarf 2002.

With readily available TMD/SSM loco and carriage kits, none of us scratchbuilt the correct (ex) Midland locos or stock to run on the layout.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I came across this chap's YouTube channel recently, and it's very informative for anybody interested in finescale modelling and scratchbuilding. He has a few videos in which he describes how to use Templot and 3D printing/laser cutting to produce bespoke trackwork, and this looks like a viable option for 21 mm track. I've never used Templot, but my understanding is that it includes 21 mm templates, so it should be straight forward to produce 21 mm track and points. Has anybody here tried this approach?

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Fiacra said:

I came across this chap's YouTube channel recently, and it's very informative for anybody interested in finescale modelling and scratchbuilding. He has a few videos in which he describes how to use Templot and 3D printing/laser cutting to produce bespoke trackwork, and this looks like a viable option for 21 mm track. I've never used Templot, but my understanding is that it includes 21 mm templates, so it should be straight forward to produce 21 mm track and points. Has anybody here tried this approach?

Templot will do pretty much any gauge you specify, within reason.

I've seen a Plugtrack sample in the flesh and, for what it is, it's very good since you can potentially print out endless stretches of P4-standard 5'3" with pointwork to match.

The only thing it doesn't do is have chairs that replicate the inward 1-in-20 tilt of the rail heads - the software isn't advanced enough to do this - so in this respect it's not that different to the old Hornby-Dublo and Triang-Hornby RTR track with strictly vertical rail (teamed with steamroller tyres and pizza cutter flanges)

20240226_215234.jpg

20240226_215243.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

James' videos are a really good explainer of what's possible. I follow the Templot forum discussion on "Plugtrack" and it is still very much "experimental" according to Martin Wynne (the man behind Templot) but it is possible to turn out (sorry!) functioning track that looks better than anything you can make using traditional methods I feel (except flat bottom rail on timber sleepers....it can only do Bullhead rail at present and that may stay that way in 4mm scale as the clips that would be needed to hold flat bottomed rail in place would be absolutely miniscule and extremely fragile (in 4mm scale anyway).

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

James' videos are a really good explainer of what's possible. I follow the Templot forum discussion on "Plugtrack" and it is still very much "experimental" according to Martin Wynne (the man behind Templot) but it is possible to turn out (sorry!) functioning track that looks better than anything you can make using traditional methods I feel (except flat bottom rail on timber sleepers....it can only do Bullhead rail at present and that may stay that way in 4mm scale as the clips that would be needed to hold flat bottomed rail in place would be absolutely miniscule and extremely fragile (in 4mm scale anyway).

With current technology, you can forget about doing Pandrol.

• Agree 1

An important factor to consider is that Templot uses different track gauges for "Irish 5'3" depending on whether you model to EMGS or S4/P4 dimensions.

Specifying a gauge of 20.2 for EM(I) and 21mm  for S4 (I)

Martins rationale for using a narrower than prototypical track gauge for EM(I) may have been based on providing adequate running clearances for wider than scale wheels in loco and stock bodies in a similar manner to the choice of 18 and later 18.2mm rather than the more accurate 18.83 to model the British Standard gauge during the 1940/50s or possibly Martin simply adding 2mm to EMGS dimensions in a similar manner to Martins subtraction of 2mm from EMGS in advocating  16.2 mm gauge in order to achieve improved running than 16.5  for OO gauge rtr models.

image.thumb.png.fef854b77f7352079dc69a5ba9f459e8.png

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 1

For Fintonagh's  three foot, 21mm track gauge, I used Templot's Irish EM point templates, but ran them through the photocopier to get 21mm gauge, three foot radius.

I used Branchlines 4mm scale wagon wheels on 2mm brass axles without problems, though do need to keep an eye on back to backs.

Now using Slater's 7mm scale, three foot narrow gauge wheels without problems and likewise Gibson 4mm scale drivers.

I think the important thing is the flangeways, which are 1mm and (fingers crossed) all seems ok with this mongrel approach!

• Informative 2

I've used templot for all my 2mm finescale track including the Irish 10.5mm guage. 

It needs a little bit of dedication to learn but is a very powerful tool. 

As has been noted above loads of presets that cover some quite esoteric scales and guage and the possibility to set your own. 

You can also make up track panels that match the prototypes practice. I don't do this in 2mm but do with my 7mm scale Modelling as its much more noticeable. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1