Back in the Day

Rate this topic

bufferstop

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I used to travel once a month from Limerick Junction to Dublin during 1978/79. During that time breakdowns and delays were not uncommon. I noticed that there was always an engine standing on the siding at Limerick Junction ticking over and wondered why so!!. Well on one dark wet evening I plucked up the courage to ask one of the staff why. The response was very reassuring. He said that "It was the backup engine in case any of the Dublin Cork trains broke down". I replied "O that is a good idea, but why is the engine running all the time?" He said " If it stopped we would never get it started again".

I asked exactly the same question one time in Loughrea, as the “C” class on the branch that week idled for hours in the station before the afternoon train.

And yes, I got the same answer!

If I remember right there was a problem with the EMD engine in that when it cooled down,

it would dump the lube oil.

After the first oil crisis special heaters were fitted to keep the lube oil warm but they became a maintenance headache and usually was easier to leave the engine idling away, even overnight rather than risk it cooling down and not being able to start in the morning.

• Like 1

I believe at some point in the uk it was normal to keep locos idling 24/7 for the above stated reasons, along with grumblings about the batteries not being too good in the cold weather.

i remember being on a GAA special as a child, one of my only loco hauled train trips in Ireland before everything went DMU unfortunately.

we were at the back of the train and when it got into the station there was a few more coaches than the lenght of the platform would allow. so everyone in the back coaches simply hopped out and started walking along the trackbed towards the platform!

wouldnt see that now lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

…….we were at the back of the train and when it got into the station there was a few more coaches than the lenght of the platform would allow. so everyone in the back coaches simply hopped out and started walking along the trackbed towards the platform!

wouldnt see that now lol.

That happened to me once on an summer excursion and I missed my footing climbing down and fell onto the ballast!

• Like 2

The UK version of the story about whether to keep diesel locos running or not revolves around how much power is taken from the battery to start the diesel engine. Apparently it would take many hours to recharge it. Sounds plausible but not a very green approach these days.

Stephen

• Like 1

There is a story that during the late 50s early 60s that a local dignitary possibly the Captain of the Golf Club or Lifeboat unable to sleep went into the shed and shut down the Rosslare Harbour Pilot loco a C Class.

Apparently an instruction was issued following the incident for loco crews to lock the loco/shed before leaving the loco with the Pilot loco unattended ticking over.

There was an interesting UK magazine article during the 1990s on the challenges of maintaining the BR Class 24/25 Sulzer Type 2 locos, cylinder glazing leading http://coxeng.co.uk/engine/bore-glazing-and-polishing-in-diesel-engines/ from prolonged idling was a major problem with these locos, leading to poor engine performance and oily exhausts.

The problem was almost institutional, apart from leaving engines idling between duties and overnight, apparently the problem began to set in as engines were run-in and tested before release to traffic after overhaul. From a modeller viewpoint an ex-works or recently overhauled loco with oil streaks and stains around the exhaust and down the sides of the loco.

• Like 4

Reading a book by a Stuka pilot, he mentions that, during the harsher parts of the winter on the Eastern front, it was often felt worthwhile to leave the engines running gently overnight, to ensure that they would be available for service the next morning. An alternative method was to light a (small) fire under the engine - hoping that it would stay small, and that any light from it was not noticed by the opposition chaps.

It would be wise, should you ever find yourself in that situation, to avoid wandering about in the dark - the noise would be the least of your worries, should you blunder into a propeller.

• Like 1

On that note, never approach a Chinook helicopter from the front….the blade can sail alarmingly….vaguely on topic, one of my earliest CIE memories is lying in a hotel in Mullingar c1980 and hearing GMs running all night in the ice-bound station.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

On the subject of “back in the day”; jhbSenior had a notoriously weak stomach for motion sickness. He dreaded the Holyhead ferry (yet his grandfather had captained it). You only had to show him a picture of a ship and he’d be seasick.

The Schull & Skibbereen Railway had the same effect. He travelled on it in the early 1930s and ended up being sick over the end balcony of a four-wheeled coach, as it roughly rocked and rolled along at a mind-blowing speed of Warp 12 miles per hour…. (Maybe that’s why he became a PW engineer….)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 13/5/2022 at 8:03 AM, StevieB said:

The UK version of the story about whether to keep diesel locos running or not revolves around how much power is taken from the battery to start the diesel engine. Apparently it would take many hours to recharge it.

I recall a story told to me around 1969 by someone "in the know", that the MPD sets stationed in Ballymena for the early morning Belfast runs were left idling overnight as a precaution against them not starting. I can state from experience in such matters, that starting a large diesel engine from cold requires a substantial amount of battery power.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

I recall a story told to me around 1969 by someone "in the know", that the MPD sets stationed in Ballymena for the early morning Belfast runs were left idling overnight as a precaution against them not starting. I can state from experience in such matters, that starting a large diesel engine from cold requires a substantial amount of battery power.

Interesting. Back in the day did depots not have some form of APU for cold starts? (ie mains supply cable).

• Like 1

A former member of the Chatham Club was in the Royal Engineers. Did some time in N Ireland during the Troubles and also went to Falkland after that war. Couple of times he did a slide show and remember see photos of the Donegal stock, taken at some personal risk because at the time it was not a good idea for a squaddie to stick his head above parapet...

When on Falkand, also got to visit South Georgia, so this slide show had pictures of the whaling station railway, plus lots of penguins too!

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, jhb171achill said:

MORE "edgy" than Strabane?  ...ye gawds...........!

The CDR stock at Strabane were just beside the perimeter of the Army base in Strabane and about 400 yards from the border

When Dr Cox paid a visit in late 1970s to the stock he had to hide as the local IRA fired a few rounds at the Army base!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bufferstop said:

I buried Mam last week. I held her hand as she breathed her last, looking out of a window, that has seen trains pass by for over 150 years.

And Mam fought so hard for the rights of gatekeepers. They were treated as the absolute lowest grade by the company. They were officially employed 24/7, no days off. They had to pay for the luxury of a bathroom or a water supply or septic tank. They ran to the shops in between trains  In most gates, there wasn't even semaphore  signals. Mam was one of the organisers getting the union involved. She went up and down the line along with others, persuading each gatehouse to stick together. And they did. And they got what they were entitled to. Actual days off and relief at night. The working time act came in 97, and it solidified everything.. There's not many gatekeepers left anymore, everything is remote now. But those that are left are in better conditions 

You fought and you won, Mam. It won't be the same without you. Rest easy now, with Dad.

Sorry for your loss there lad, Some Lady she was by the sounds of it!

On 30/6/2022 at 2:13 AM, bufferstop said:

I buried Mam last week. I held her hand as she breathed her last, looking out of a window, that has seen trains pass by for over 150 years.

And Mam fought so hard for the rights of gatekeepers. They were treated as the absolute lowest grade by the company. They were officially employed 24/7, no days off. They had to pay for the luxury of a bathroom or a water supply or septic tank. They ran to the shops in between trains  In most gates, there wasn't even semaphore  signals. Mam was one of the organisers getting the union involved. She went up and down the line along with others, persuading each gatehouse to stick together. And they did. And they got what they were entitled to. Actual days off and relief at night. The working time act came in 97, and it solidified everything.. There's not many gatekeepers left anymore, everything is remote now. But those that are left are in better conditions 

You fought and you won, Mam. It won't be the same without you. Rest easy now, with Dad.

Very well said indeed. Rest in peace.

• Like 1

Rather than start a new topic, I think this fits in here & is certainly historical. No modelling for me these past couple of weeks as we've been on a New England fly drive [postponed twice because of Covid], starting in Boston, moving up into the White Mountains before making our way south to Rhode Island and Cape Cod.

Anyway, one place we visited was the former home of Robert Lincoln, son of Abraham and founder of the Pullman car Company. In the gift shop my wife bought me a pack of reproduction playing cards, featuring important trains of the 20th Century.

DSCN4867.thumb.jpeg.1d364e9ad3cd06bfe707f95ca2bd3a49.jpeg

Imagine my surprise and delight to find that the seven of spades is an SLNCR railsbus! Obviously whoever choose each subject has very good taste, but given the amount of Irish heritage over the Pond, perhaps it is not too surprising - though the little railbus sits among what might be more expected in terms of 'Great Trains', like the Flying Scotsman, 20th Century Limited and so on.

DSCN4868.thumb.jpeg.45554950ea17c62a6d51be7574073afb.jpeg

Further on in the pack, the five of hearts is the North Atlantic Express, the eight of clubs the Dublin - Belfast express and the two of diamonds a GNRI 4-4-0 'Neptune'.

Been to North America several times, so it was nice to see there are lots of heritage railways in New England too, albeit most of them using first generation diesels. Food and drink can be eye wateringly expensive though, but is at least off set by the price of petrol. They think it is expensive at under $5 a gallon or less than one euro a litre - needless to say, we made sure they knew the cost over here!

DSCN4869.thumb.jpeg.5f89e67303463340b407cea8f02bb94c.jpegDSCN4870.thumb.jpeg.04446e809a2cdc662ed808f61df411b3.jpegDSCN4871.thumb.jpeg.b8f9c41d87074d82e8825d3c2498dee4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Many thanks to all of you for your condolences for Mam. I really appreciate your kindness.

This post has nothing to do with railways but for the weekend that's in it...

Back around 1989, I was working in a pub called the Greyhound down near the Oval in South London. Ran by a legend called Eddie Moran from Wicklow. Anyway we had a great clientele, huge mixture of people, that all got on. One of them was a Dub, I can't remember his name, we'll call him Jimmy, but he was about retirement age, never lost his 'Ah Jaysus Dub accent' He had worked in the Royal Horseguards for decades looking after the Queen's coaches and carriages.

I said to him one night, any chance of a look around. "When are you off" "Tuesday" "Be at the gate at 2, I"ll be coming back from the lunch" I was there at 2, Jimmy marched in, I went after him, security came out, "Ah Jaysus, no he"s with me* In we went, complete tour of the place, Jimmy at one stage was showing one of the carriages used for Epsom or Goodwood "We put an extra step onto this because we're afraid she'd slip, she turned around and snapped at me "I"m not that bloody old"" Anyway we came to this shed, and inside was the State Coach used for opening Parliament and Coronations and the like. Jimmy was nearly whispering at this stage. I looked at it and I reached out and opened the door, and this is one of the greatest regrets of my life, I didn't hop up into it and do a royal wave. Jimmy would have either fainted or killed me but it would have been too late! So next time you see Charlie riding along in the State Coach, think of how close an Irish arse was to that cushion.....

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I wonder what her favourite trains were............

Well, she’s been seen on a GW footplate. And she footplated a Garratt. But I suspect she probably best liked the loco that was named after her as far back as 1933 when she was 7 years old….6201 Princess Elizabeth. 

D70050A1-D8DA-4942-82E1-909EB188F112.jpeg

C49F4F38-1CAA-4BAE-B3D8-BECC38507E4B.jpeg

297E0C65-B300-43A6-9E8B-3F17B596F6BD.jpeg

B9D28648-AFF4-4C4F-BE7B-F33AF741F4E1.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Thomas said:

I used to travel once a month from Limerick Junction to Dublin during 1978/79. During that time breakdowns and delays were not uncommon. I noticed that there was always an engine standing on the siding at Limerick Junction ticking over and wondered why so!!. Well on one dark wet evening I plucked up the courage to ask one of the staff why. The response was very reassuring. He said that "It was the backup engine in case any of the Dublin Cork trains broke down". I replied "O that is a good idea, but why is the engine running all the time?" He said " If it stopped we would never get it started again".

Kind of makes sense back in the day from a maintenance perspective. There'd be raised eye brows these days keeping NoX spewing diesel engines constantly running. So much for mums in Donnybrook tractors keeping SUV diesel engines running outside schools while waiting to collect their kids. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It' s freezing.

Back in the day, and don't ask me why.....

I was sitting on a 201, heading East and it was so cold with fog, that you could just about see the starting signal. It was horrendously bad, and it never lifted for about 30 miles,

Now I thought I knew the road pretty well, and the driver certainly did, so we took off at line speed. And we never stopped, with a maximum of 300 yards of visibility.

And then I realised about running in the dark, back in the day, when the headlight "failed", which it usually did within a mile of the final station.

Boy, you learn very fast about route knowledge. 😘

Edited by bufferstop
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, bufferstop said:

It' s freezing.

Back in the day, and don't ask me why.....

I was sitting on a 201, heading East and it was so cold with fog, that you could just about see the starting signal. It was horrendously bad, and it never lifted for about 30 miles,

Now I thought I knew the road pretty well, and the driver certainly did, so we took off at line speed. And we never stopped, with a maximum of 300 yards of visibility.

And then I realised about running in the dark, back in the day, when the headlight "failed", which it usually did within a mile of the final station.

Boy, you learn very fast about route knowledge. 😘

I remember during a nighttime foot plate trip on the Tralee line around 1980 when the driver turned off the headlights in order to show me what what it was like running steam or the early diesels. Hurling through the darkness with the speedometer showing 60mph was quiet unnerving!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

One for the Christmas and the new Westport stationmaster....

Long ago, maybe back in the late 70's. Ronnie Drew presented himself in a rather agitated state in Westport station for the morning train. Ronnie's focus, though wasn't on the departure time, but where he could get a drink. He was informed that the only drink available was on the dining car, but the only person that had the keys was the attendant and he hadn't arrived yet.

"Ah jaysus". Off went Ronnie, marching up and down the platform, checking his watch. 10 minutes went by, then 15. Ronnie's steps were getting faster. By now, word had spread and the entire staff were agog. Driver, signalman, shunter, guard, checker, platform men, stationmaster, the lot were all looking out of windows, around corners, at Ronnie, thinking, God all the stories are true about the Dubliners.

The attendant strolled up eventually and was directed,lively like, to get the bar open for Ronnie. Onto the train, he went, Ronnie's behind him, breathing on his neck. Rattle of keys, the panels sprung open.

"What can I get you, Ronnie"

"Do yez have a can of Fanta? I'm fecking parched"

And the whole station let out a sigh of disappointment......

• Funny 4