Jump to content
Irishswissernie

Glengarriff + my former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I like the realistically rough ground surface. All too often we see perfect layouts with mirror-smooth goods yards and approach roads....!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Did you apply the paint before ballasting and was it handprinted with brush?

A tedious job but with great results.

The ballast is Gaugemaster GM200 ballast underlay which you have to lay under the track as you lay the track down. Its is far less messy than trying to ballast the track with loose ballast/glue etc. You have to cut the strip when laying it under points but its quite easy after a bit of practice. The rails were painted after the ballasted track was laid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

The ballast is Gaugemaster GM200 ballast underlay which you have to lay under the track as you lay the track down. Its is far less messy than trying to ballast the track with loose ballast/glue etc. You have to cut the strip when laying it under points but its quite easy after a bit of practice. The rails were painted after the ballasted track was laid.

Looks fantastic! Very hard to tell it's not regular ballast.

The weathering job on those cement bubbles is great too. What techniques did you use on them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer to use it, as a.) Its easy to lay, has a 'built in' 'shoulder' , b.) Using loose ballast plus PVA or similar adhesive; this tends to get in the points etc and affects the electrical contacts, and most importantly c.) doesn't fall off when  moving boards or even more importantly falls off on the carpet thereby causing a hiatus in marital harmony!

The weathered bubbles are a marriage between the Dapol Prestwin chassis and my son Alan's designed 3D printed Shapeways Bubble mouldings. He built and weathered them and amongst the weathering material was some toothpaste! One or two developed an interesting green mould on this over the years.

Yesterday I took the plunge and started similar heavy weathering (less toothpaste) on an IRM bubble. I think I hear cries of 'Sacrilege' but that's the way I remember them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I prefer to use it, as a.) Its easy to lay, has a 'built in' 'shoulder' , b.) Using loose ballast plus PVA or similar adhesive; this tends to get in the points etc and affects the electrical contacts, and most importantly c.) doesn't fall off when  moving boards or even more importantly falls off on the carpet thereby causing a hiatus in marital harmony!

 

Certainly seems a viable alternative. I'm about to start ballasting my own layout and I'm dreading it!

21 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

The weathered bubbles are a marriage between the Dapol Prestwin chassis and my son Alan's designed 3D printed Shapeways Bubble mouldings. He built and weathered them and amongst the weathering material was some toothpaste! One or two developed an interesting green mould on this over the years.

Yesterday I took the plunge and started similar heavy weathering (less toothpaste) on an IRM bubble. I think I hear cries of 'Sacrilege' but that's the way I remember them.

The toothpaste is a clever idea! I've been experimenting with various techniques including mixing talcum powder and pva or varnish to simulate cement dust. I've been doing this with old Hornby tank wagons, I want to have the method right before I touch my lovely new bubbles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my own today for a few hours so a bit of progress.

The time of year is supposed to be Autumn so I can have a variety of greens and browns. The trees are heather which has been lying in the loft for some 6 years and whilst it is quite brittle Haltwhistle and the surrounding countryside's  main contribution to nature can easily be re-plenished. It is probably somewhat over-scale.

The box needs an interior.

Barrow crossing DSC03028.JPG

Box + foliage DSC03031.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit more progress. All the ground now has some paintwork done .

Foliage now started but I have discovered that I don't seem to have any 'turf' flocking. I am off to the Welsh Highland Gala tomorrow so hopefully will be able to pick some up then.

Ernie

DSC03083.JPG

Glengarriff cart road.jpg

Goods yard is busy.jpg

Guinness sidings.jpg

  • Like 5
  • WOW! 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic work all-round. Has that rough look to it, and that's meant as a compliment. The area looks used and slightly neglected which gives it that more of a realistic appearance. Enjoying watching this progress. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very nice. It reeks of atmosphere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Glengarriff! but another old modelling photo which might be of interest I have just come across . 7mm O gauge PP & JT outside shed based on Enniskillen GNRI shed . Most of the stone/brick work on the shed front was made from individual pieces of plastikard. I must have had more time in those days - working full time and with 5 bairns, 2 dogs, rabbit , Guinea pigs, ferrets and rats and the wife to keep amused! (ER not necessarily in that order- nearly shot myself in the foot!)

 

Ernie

DSC06176.JPG

  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez! Really nice. Life is busier, that's for sure and not necessarily a good thing, I'm afraid. Lovely modeling. Irish steam is definitely underrepresented. Is the layout still extant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The layout or 8ft x 2ft test track cum display   was dismantled many years ago as other projects and growing children needed the space. Here is another view; the locos as previously mentioned have all moved on.

 

Ernie

DSC06178.JPG

  • Like 4
  • WOW! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely narrow gauge scenes! 

 

Your model of 4 and 6 look like T&D Kerr Stuart number 4 or 4T, where did you get this?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, irishrail201 said:

Lovely narrow gauge scenes! 

 

Your model of 4 and 6 look like T&D Kerr Stuart number 4 or 4T, where did you get this?!

They were freelance scratch-built, mainly plastikard on Bachmann GWR mogul or Manor chassis, based on the Dingle Kerr Stuart plans. The boiler was some plastic plumbing pipe, smoke box, a button from a charity shop, Cab windows- brass marine modelling port holes.

Chimneys/domes were 7mm Drummond style white metal but I can't remember the manufacturer. Slaters hand rail knobs.

I think I built about 20 narrow gauge locos in this way; I needed perhaps 10 for the layout but I used to take completed models along to various model railway shows and was usually persuaded to sell them. The same thing happened when I took along coaches, wagons etc.

When I built stock  I always found that something wasn't quite right in my eyes so I was usually quite happy to part with it and try again!

My main regret is that we didn't take more photographs.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, Ernie. Reminds me of stuff I did in much the same way and nicely illustrates what can be so enjoyable about doing 7mm NG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Terms of Use