Bargain of The Century? The 'Dicky' Taras - An Almost Perfect Wagon At a Bargain Price

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Who doesn't love a bargain? And in these times of uncertainty in the wider world we need to consider value for money. We've always worked tirelessly to bring you the very best models for the best possible value for money. However, in this case we have really gone above and beyond.

Exceptional value, you might say! How about a brand new, never run model at a whopping 75% off the RRP? This is available with 5 different packs with 10 different running numbers. It's Irish outline, fully detailed, and works perfectly.

Let's welcome to our 'Dicky Taras', our Tara Mines twin pack wagons for just €20 a box!

"Listen, there is a catch right? That's crazy value!" you are probably muttering to yourself.

Tara_Deco_600x600.jpg?v=1666797148

Don't be so suspicious! Well, yes. A slight one. Gather around and we'll tell you a story...

Okay. Fádo, fádo, we were working on our first run of Tara Mines wagons. During development it was noted that the pre-production model was incorrect. The bodyside strakes did not extend down the full length of the wagons. 

Now, here's what it should look like...

IMG_3029_600x600.jpg?v=1666796195

Exquisite! What our sample looked like...

DSC_0585_600x600.jpg?v=1666796265

Right! As you can see, they stop too short of the wagon.

In other words, our first run of wagons was manufactured both correctly and incorrectly. Initially the factory used the incorrect tooling, and we ended up with a batch of Taras with the incorrect bodysides. This was then corrected with the correct tooling and customers received a truly excellent model that was spot on.

Corrected and delivered, they sold out in no time. But, what about these 'dicky' Taras as we christened them? Well, they have sat in a dark corner of a warehouse for many, many years, guarded by 'Top Men'.

Tara_box_600x600.jpg?v=1666797326

However, it seems silly keeping them locked away, when they too could be enjoyed by modellers who are not overly bothered with this blemish. So, we will be offering them for sale, strictly 'sold as seen' at the Dublin show this weekend for a mere €20 a twin pack. That's just €10 per wagon. A highly detailed, beautifully finished wagon that is Irish outline. Yes, the strakes are not long enough, but you cant argue that it's an incredible bargain.

Insane bargain, right!?! Limited stock will be available at the Dublin Show this weekend only. But, if you cant make the show and can only shop online, then don't worry! We will have them listed on our website for the same price for our Black Friday sale in November. If we have any after that they will be sold at shows and the odd flash sale only till they're gone. 

Each box will be stamped 'Reject' so they can not be passed off as original stock either as they have the same running number and barcode as our first run of Tara mines wagons in red oxide livery. Strike while the iron is hot this weekend and bag yours as IRM brings you the true bargain of the model railway world. 

View the full article

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 6

9 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Who doesn't love a bargain? And in these times of uncertainty in the wider world we need to consider value for money. We've always worked tirelessly to bring you the very best models for the best possible value for money. However, in this case we have really gone above and beyond.

Exceptional value, you might say! How about a brand new, never run model at a whopping 75% off the RRP? This is available with 5 different packs with 10 different running numbers. It's Irish outline, fully detailed, and works perfectly.

Let's welcome to our 'Dicky Taras', our Tara Mines twin pack wagons for just €20 a box!

"Listen, there is a catch right? That's crazy value!" you are probably muttering to yourself.

Don't be so suspicious! Well, yes. A slight one. Gather around and we'll tell you a story...

Okay. Fádo, fádo, we were working on our first run of Tara Mines wagons. During development it was noted that the pre-production model was incorrect. The bodyside strakes did not extend down the full length of the wagons. 

In other words, our first run of wagons was manufactured both correctly and incorrectly. Initially the factory used the incorrect tooling, and we ended up with a batch of Taras with the incorrect bodysides. This was then corrected with the correct tooling and customers received a truly excellent model that was spot on.

Corrected and delivered, they sold out in no time. But, what about these 'dicky' Taras as we christened them? Well, they have sat in a dark corner of a warehouse for many, many years, guarded by 'Top Men'.

However, it seems silly keeping them locked away, when they too could be enjoyed by modellers who are not overly bothered with this blemish. So, we will be offering them for sale, strictly 'sold as seen' at the Dublin show this weekend for a mere €20 a twin pack. That's just €10 per wagon. A highly detailed, beautifully finished wagon that is Irish outline. Yes, the strakes are not long enough, but you cant argue that it's an incredible bargain.

Insane bargain, right!?! Limited stock will be available at the Dublin Show this weekend only. But, if you cant make the show and can only shop online, then don't worry! We will have them listed on our website for the same price for our Black Friday sale in November. If we have any after that they will be sold at shows and the odd flash sale only till they're gone. 

Each box will be stamped 'Reject' so they can not be passed off as original stock either as they have the same running number and barcode as our first run of Tara mines wagons in red oxide livery. Strike while the iron is hot this weekend and bag yours as IRM brings you the true bargain of the model railway world. 

View the full article

We live in the best timeline 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

View the full article

How many of these are closely guarded at the Fort Knox basement of IRM towers? 

There will be such a large queue outside raheeny…you’ll have to make a quota per person! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I was actually hoping that the bargain would also be open to those unable to attend the show. It's great that IRM has remembered its customers in the farther flung reaches of the planet 🙂 I shall definitely be taking some come Black Friday.

I was actually hoping that some of the bargain will be there Sunday for us customer that has to rip the mattress up Saturday night to Get musty bank notes out ( not the northern type ) , I swear they should be fine.😀😀.

• Funny 4

7 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I’ve decided to take 2 packs. Enough to make a full train on my small layout 

already a bargain from raheeny and we aren’t even there yet

Watch yourself, Pal.

DJD Senior will be ahead of you in the queue, and he'll be demanding autographed examples, signed by the IRM rockstars there and then.

• Funny 1

I'm not sure a straightforward conversion to the shale wagons is there. The top profile is not present at all on the shale wagons. Removing it would be more than trivial as it's a single piece moulding. The strakes (my new word for the day) are also not equidistant from each other on the shales like on the Taras. An approximation of a shale wagon is as close as one is likely to get without fairly major surgery. The thing is IRM is likely to make the shale wagons anyway at some stage. I can't justify all that work for a wagon that will likely be released in RTR in better quality than I can achieve. I think they are most likely going to be a very cheap way to extend one's fleet of Taras. You could add bits of plasticard to complete the strakes then heavily weather the wagons to conceal any colour differences. I think that's what I will do with them anyway, after renumbering of course.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

I'm not sure a straightforward conversion to the shale wagons is there. The top profile is not present at all on the shale wagons. Removing it would be more than trivial as it's a single piece moulding. The strakes (my new word for the day) are also not equidistant from each other on the shales like on the Taras. An approximation of a shale wagon is as close as one is likely to get without fairly major surgery. The thing is IRM is likely to make the shale wagons anyway at some stage. I can't justify all that work for a wagon that will likely be released in RTR in better quality than I can achieve. I think they are most likely going to be a very cheap way to extend one's fleet of Taras. You could add bits of plasticard to complete the strakes then heavily weather the wagons to conceal any colour differences. I think that's what I will do with them anyway, after renumbering of course.

It was a thought, the other possibility is to do the two tara wagons 31026,31027 which were built as shale wagons identified by the extra rib running the length of them.

Tara Mines wagons pass Ashbrook, Dublin

Picture from flicker by Irish Rail Trains 

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, flange lubricator said:

It was a thought, the other possibility is to do the two tara wagons 31026,31027 which were built as shale wagons identified by the extra rib running the length of them.

Tara Mines wagons pass Ashbrook, Dublin

Picture from flicker by Irish Rail Trains 

Good call. Conversion to an ex-shale Tara is a really good idea as these two fairly unique wagons are let's say, probably not a high priority for IRM. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Fran,

Great to chat at the show today - congratulations again to all at IRM for the tremendous range and quality of products for modellers of all abilities. Very pleased that my ordered kegs, fertilisers & containers are imminent.

A suggestion for all of us who missed the "dickies" (swallowed up by all the "January Sales" folks yesterday !), to help fair availability and control large accumulation by some, perhaps you might consider a max quantity per existing IRM customer in the Black Friday event ? - just a thought.

Regards,

George 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Hi Fran,

Great to chat at the show today - congratulations again to all at IRM for the tremendous range and quality of products for modellers of all abilities. Very pleased that my ordered kegs, fertilisers & containers are imminent.

A suggestion for all of us who missed the "dickies" (swallowed up by all the "January Sales" folks yesterday !), to help fair availability and control large accumulation by some, perhaps you might consider a max quantity per existing IRM customer in the Black Friday event ? - just a thought.

Regards,

George 

That’s is a very good idea and perhaps a way of rewarding IRM loyal customers and at the same time discourage the skelpers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Hi Fran,

Regards,

George 

That's a great idea, George!

Limit of two or three rakes per existing customer, some sort of purchase history required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1