ICPHOWWWARRR - 22000 Class Railcars In OO from IRM!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

For me, the "good" was on the outside rather than the inside, everything looked great but tended to be unreliable crap under the skin, the ST / IR era, Jacob's-orange Atlanteans, then the flat-faced Atlanteans in the new two-tone green, then the KC's and KD's, weekends at the end of a platform in Hueston or Connolly wasting the film in my Dad's camera, then as a teen in secondary school, spending lunchbreaks down by the railway line.

IMG_20230711_1037545.jpg

IMG_20230711_1039406.jpg

IMG_20230711_1035584.jpg

IMG_20230711_1036231.jpg

IMG_20230711_1037318.jpg

nothing wasteful about those photos!

• Funny 1

I do often find it funny that Irish rail who are obsessed with eco friendliness are putting engines in eery carriage of a railcar rather than building or buying a efficient locomotive with only one engine.

loco haled trains are more eco friendly, substantially smoother ride and far better for us enthusiasts. 

2012: A Year in Review - The Wanderer's Photos

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'm sure my Dad had a different opinion!

So are there any fixed configurations for multiple running of 22000's?

Like, do they run in 6+6 format, or is a 6+3 the longest etc?

seems to commonly be a 2x3 car down my way. heading over there in a half an hour so ill try an remember to grab a video of the rev up/drive away. 

If i recall right 6 is the maximum for the wexford line as most of the platforms are extended to accomodate the extra car. no more trailing beyond the end of the platform anymore!

18 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Fully agree on the nostalgia. I long to see what I remember from my childhood, only remembering the good, not the bad.

Still, the last decade or two, the closest I get to rail travel is the Tranvia / tram up in Santa Cruz, so you guys don't know how lucky you are with your grey 071's, your 22000's and your RPSI specials!

kato do a line of a very inexpensive trams with its own road embedded track system....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irishrailways52 said:

I do often find it funny that Irish rail who are obsessed with eco friendliness are putting engines in eery carriage of a railcar rather than building or buying a efficient locomotive with only one engine.

loco haled trains are more eco friendly, substantially smoother ride and far better for us enthusiasts. 

a loco hauled service pulls many times it own weight though and the engine is generally ran pretty hard. requiring more frequent maintenance and overhauls. 

a dmu with power in every car would essentially be a number of "locomotives" running in multiple and the whole thing works together with each motor essentially running a relatively light load. I could only assume that this leads to reduced maintenance, running costs and overhauls as the engines would not need to be worked as hard to get up to speed etc.

I dont have any hard data but ive often wondered how the running costs would vary between a single 121 or a pair of 121 running in multiple for lighter trains of course the engine technology is completely different to how it is in a modern 4 stroke DMU

Edited by Sean
  • Like 1

Waiting at the DUBLIN platform for the DUBLIN service, 4 car set, funniest thing about gorey station is that the CTC dont seem to give a shit about what platform your train will arrive on so its very common to see a platform full of passengers scramble to get to the other side when the train pulls in to the wrong platform.

you can see here also how they raised and extended all the platforms to accomodate these sets. kinda just ploppled it all down ontop of the old platform and called it a good job.

Double trouble! had plannned to film a platform departure but this may just be better than that lol

• Like 5

6 hours ago, irishrailways52 said:

just earlier today Irish rail ran a 7 car set as a test

Snapshot_3.PNG

So when IRM do a re-run in 2026, they can do a seven-car set!

Wonder if they'll have the 1/76 catering cart ready for the 2026 re-run...

Edited by DJ Dangerous
Spelling
  • Funny 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:03 PM, irishrailways52 said:

Nothing funny about it.Loco hauled trains only start to become more economical after 6/7 vehicles (it varies depending on the actual ones used). Under that it's considerably more efficient to use railcars with distributed traction, for performance, financial and environmental reasons.

7 ICR tests are purely for comissioning the new B2 centre cars

Enthusiast wants are rather low on the pecking order for new fleets

Edited by hurricanemk1c
  • Like 4
  • Informative 1

On comfort, one of the most comfortable train journeys I've ever been on was a Danish IC3 railcar/multiple unit set from Hamburg to Copenhagen (standard class btw). Dispelled any notions of railcars being less comfortable than hauled stock by nature. Personally I find the 22000s quite comfortable for what they need to do, I don't have much interest in them as an enthusiast but that's a non-argument.

You also have to consider the output of each individual engine in a railcar set versus a loco hauled set (factoring in a huge loco engine and generator van). It's not quite as simple as 6 railcar engines is the same as 6 locomotive engines.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Niles said:

On comfort, one of the most comfortable train journeys I've ever been on was a Danish IC3 railcar/multiple unit set from Hamburg to Copenhagen (standard class btw). Dispelled any notions of railcars being less comfortable than hauled stock by nature. Personally I find the 22000s quite comfortable for what they need to do, I don't have much interest in them as an enthusiast but that's a non-argument.

So no need to visit the chiropractor after each trip?

🤣

• Funny 1

The 22k set with the MTU powerpack rebuild trial was on the Limerick Junction to Waterford service this morning - I didn't get to hear it leaving but wonder if there's any difference in sound after the rebuild. Screenshot_2023-07-13-14-45-11-15_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.fb1c5a8449d0313e1133bb0e38f0938e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

SEE OUR FIRST ICR AND PARK ROYAL SAMPLES THIS WEEKEND

All set for the 3 Day Dublin Show? As well as an all new announcement, complete with tooling sample, we have the first sample of our 22000 ICRs in hand and we're very excited to show you all how it's progressing. As you can see from the teaser below, it's looking rather lovely!

ICR22000016.thumb.jpg.ec180dfb7f823dbefdae483ca86791c7.jpg

We will also have the first samples of our Park Royal coaches, so make sure you pop along to our stand to see both and find out the latest news on both.

Make sure you visit our stand this weekend at Blackrock College between 11am and 5pm to see all these lovely goodies in the flesh!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Announced at the 2022 Dublin show in Raheny, we're delighted to bring you the first tooled samples of our all new Rotem ICR 22000 Intercity Railcars at the 2023 show at Blackrock College this October Bank Holiday weekend!

There is some improvements to be made to the tooling, such as fit and finish, particularly the removable roof sections. We are also looking at the fine tuning of the underframe equipment and improving the car-to-car connections.

However, pictures tell a story of a thousand words, so feast your eyes below!

ICR220000_14_600x600.jpg?v=1698313600

ICR220000_5_600x600.jpg?v=1698313543

ICR220000_4_600x600.jpg?v=1698313537

ICR220000_7_600x600.jpg?v=1698313556

ICR220000_6_600x600.jpg?v=1698313550

ICR220000_1_600x600.jpg?v=1698313523

ICR220000_8_600x600.jpg?v=1698313517

ICR220000_16_7beaba65-1b3f-470a-ae9d-98d

ICR220000_3_600x600.jpg?v=1698313509

As well as the ICR tooling, we also have the first samples of the Sculfort shunting tractor. This little loco is un-powered and comes free with each ICR 6 car pack, based of the shunting tractor in Portlaoise Depot.

ICR220000_13_600x600.jpg?v=1698313592

ICR220000_11_600x600.jpg?v=1698313572

Our ICRs are on course for delivery in Summer of 2024! As you can see, the first high quality ready-to-run model of an Irish railcar that is prototypically accurate is shaping up rather well indeed! 

Due to the size of the sets, production is limited, so we advise any of you thinking of placing an order to do so very soon to avoid disappointment. Browse the range of 3, 4 and 6 car sets via the link below, and place your preorder, either no money down until they arrive in stock, or spread the payments over 6 months via our partial.ly service at no extra cost!

Pre-Order Your 22000 ICR Here!

View the full article

• Like 4
  • WOW! 3

2 hours ago, DiveController said:

Can someone explain the liveries on these? The post 2013 livery for example seems to have both intercity ribbons and rubix cube icons? 🫤 

A bit of discussion on ther liveries here, @DiveController, as per your question in the other 22000 thread.

On 31/10/2022 at 3:33 AM, Rob said:

Would the date order below be reasonably accurate as regards the different options?

- Inter City branding with Bowling Ball set Numbering (2007 - 2008/9????)

- lnter City branding with Individual Numbering (2008/9??? - 2013)

- Irish Rail branding (2013 - ????)

- lrish Rail branding with blue doors etc (???? - current day)

On 2/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, hurricanemk1c said:

Pretty much. The bowling ball didn't last too long, although 22007 was the last to be treated some time between April and August 2013 from my own photos.

UIC numbers started creeping in with the 22047-22063 batch delivered in 2012 and progressively were added to the existing fleet.

Blue doors (or more accurately a shade of purple) started with 22008 in November 2018 and was spread across the fleet as they went in for internal refurb. The last set was I think 22029

I am available for scanning!

My big question is where the front number will be on 22302.........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

A bit of discussion on ther liveries here, @DiveController, as per your question in the other 22000 thread.

Read this entire thread only to find your post at the end , Dave😂. This is the most informative post regarding liveries. I realized the bowling ball livery is actually probably the only one that ran with the last of anything Orange 🍊 

This is so not my era as you know but as an ex-pat when these were introduced I don’t have any real nostalgia for them. I do like the look of the RTE Big Music week ( only nostalgic way to justify a purchase 😉) but I’m confused about the intercity ribbon livery post 2013. Is this when IE went I’ve to the current logo?