ICPHOWWWARRR - 22000 Class Railcars In OO from IRM!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

I would agree with Fran's [Warbonnet] sentiments. Think this is the ideal set to produce as they're very widespread over the network. I only remember the 2600 class operating in sets of three (six cars) so, in my case, wouldn't be a better price option than the 22,000. I'm sure the 2600 class is in IRM's future plans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The 22000's were a ballsy move, but are great value when you think of the price of a loco and coaches.

People are always talking about an Irish trainset. Well, this is more or less what a trainset would cost and entail.

I hope to order a few more of these further down the line but don't want to overcommit just yet, after just clearing the NIR coach pack balance and having some IR coaches with payment pending.

Plus, it's possible that we'll see Paddy's new run of 141's and 181's this year, plus we may have an IRM steamer, and we'd bloody better have 47' Flats and two-tone green Dublin Buses, all draining the budgets that little bit more.

Possible that others are in the same boat, unwilling to pre-order until they get their stuff together.

I think the 22000s were a pretty solid choice, some of the larger sets perhaps but they are the J15 or AEC railcar of the modern era, can't have a layout without them.

Part of me is almost hoping the IRM steam loco is not an 800, me SSM one has just had the chassis finished!

The other part of me has a list done out of all the things that need to be perfect...

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi George,

We've exceeded 20% pre-sold already, so we're quite happy with progress in a few months. End of the day, these are the trains people see every day across the country and have done for over 15 years now. 

I'm sure we'll get round to the 2600 in time ;)

Cheers!

Fran 

Aye you could convert a 2600 from something english (hell a 2700 exists RTR from Bachmann) but an ICR is unlike anything in the UK as far as I can see, it would be very hard to scratchbuild. 

plus they have unlimited route abalibility. I think only places like ballina, and maybe the ballybrophy line have have not had a 22k yet. Middleton and cobh lines have got 1 or 2 on railtours. these are very much the face of Irish rail outside the cork and northern mainline for the most part (and even then ICR’s can be found on them) 

I love the 2600, the best of the 2nd generation of DMU’s. But there not really as well travelled. And in 2022 they barley leave cork and never leave Munster. actually a good article on them here recently. I love the new livery but the as deleived orange with points logo is probobly the nicest 

https://www.tailtetours.com/post/the-2600-class-the-railcars-that-keep-on-going

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Having emigrated 45 years ago, my last few visits to Ireland only included a trip to Portlaoise from Houston on the Cork service, Class 201 hauled. 

I have never heard the 22000 class, could anyone put a recording on here please. I have a 6 car, 4 car & 2 X 3 car sound sets on order.

TIA.

Wait till we get these electric hybrid things. They will make no noise at all; we will all drool over the mini-"thrash" of the last ICR....................................

And those of us who remember 071s will be seen as being just as odd as people like me who remember steam.................!!

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Wait till we get these electric hybrid things. They will make no noise at all; we will all drool over the mini-"thrash" of the last ICR....................................

And those of us who remember 071s will be seen as being just as odd as people like me who remember steam.................!!

Ah, a new form of "Whispering Death" which is what PW men called the (lovely) Wessex Electrics (Class 441) on the LSWR - you see the motors were in the middle car (of five) only - so if they were coming towards you (at 100mph) you heard nothing, until you heard the words from St Peter "Name please?" .......

• Funny 3

On 8/7/2023 at 6:30 PM, irishrailways52 said:

hopefully this will give you an idea of what they sound like. you will have to turn up your volume as ICRs are not verry loud.

That is awesome!

Thank you for finding and sharing.

Sounds like a fleet of locos starting all at once.

I've ordered IRM's non-sound 22000's but will have to consider a few sound ones after that.

Don't mind the moaners here, that was absolutely fabulous!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Ah, a new form of "Whispering Death" which is what PW men called the (lovely) Wessex Electrics (Class 441) on the LSWR - you see the motors were in the middle car (of five) only - so if they were coming towards you (at 100mph) you heard nothing, until you heard the words from St Peter "Name please?" .......

You'll still get the tell-tale "chirrup" in the rails as the train approaches.

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

That is awesome!

Thank you for finding and sharing.

Sounds like a fleet of locos starting all at once.

I've ordered IRM's non-sound 22000's but will have to consider a few sound ones after that.

Don't mind the moaners here, that was absolutely fabulous!

2 speakers per set, buy a couple of three car sets and double head........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

supposedly both power cars run off a single decoder so surely that means theres going to be a wiring link running the length of the train to tap into the speaker bus.........

just sayin.....

€690, so the real question is original livery or post-2013 livery?

May be time for @BosKonay to merge this thread with the other 22000 thread!

We tend to view our early railway experiences through rose tinted glass. Nostalgia for the past ignoring the realities of train travel. Those of us in our 60s hanker for the  nostalgia of travelling in Supertrain, Craven and CIE built coaches during the 70s/early 80s, ignoring the high noise levels in conventional non-AC stock and the poor ride quality of the Cravens, the less said about the quality of CIE/IE track between 70s and early 2000s, travelling on a CIE/IE train was often a bone and ear shattering experience.

I have a soft spot for British Railways  first generation EMUs with their fast acceleration compared to loco hauled stock from weekend exploration and commuting on the Southern and London Midland during the 80s and curiously the Class 158 DMU for the way they revolutionised Cross-Country services in England and Wales and Intercity Services in Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mayner said:

We tend to view our early railway experiences through rose tinted glass. Nostalgia for the past ignoring the realities of train travel. Those of us in our 60s hanker for the  nostalgia of travelling in Supertrain, Craven and CIE built coaches during the 70s/early 80s, ignoring the high noise levels in conventional non-AC stock and the poor ride quality of the Cravens, the less said about the quality of CIE/IE track between 70s and early 2000s, travelling on a CIE/IE train was often a bone and ear shattering experience.

I have a soft spot for British Railways  first generation EMUs with their fast acceleration compared to loco hauled stock from weekend exploration and commuting on the Southern and London Midland during the 80s and curiously the Class 158 DMU for the way they revolutionised Cross-Country services in England and Wales and Intercity Services in Scotland.

I can testify to the fact that the old UTA MED & MPD cars, plus the truly AWFUL NIR 450 class, made 2600s & 29s feel like 1st class in the Titanic by comparison. And it's a statement of fact that a modern ICR is quieter and more comfortable than MOST old railcars in the past. The exceptions were the centre and trailer cars (NOT the power cars!) in the 70 class, and the AEC / BUT cars for comfort - though they'd deafen you and could be draughty in winter.

There's a huge, huge difference between the outward appearance of many a train, and what it's like to travel in!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I am typing this on a northbound Enterprise - have just spent my first day in two decades travelling round Dublin by rail and bus. Much though I loved the dereliction of the push pulls in the pre Dart era, it really is a fabulous system now. Clean and efficient as far as I could see. Broombridge interchange is a wonderful facility- that LUAS/rail interchange is brilliant. I did feel rather aggrieved to see some green and silver snake sporting the legend ‘Sligeach’ crawling through. Everybody knows that the Sligo train is hauled by 121s with a buffet car and mail vans !! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I am typing this on a northbound Enterprise - have just spent my first day in two decades travelling round Dublin by rail and bus. Much though I loved the dereliction of the push pulls in the pre Dart era, it really is a fabulous system now. Clean and efficient as far as I could see. Broombridge interchange is a wonderful facility- that LUAS/rail interchange is brilliant. I did feel rather aggrieved to see some green and silver snake sporting the legend ‘Sligeach’ crawling through. Everybody knows that the Sligo train is hauled by 121s with a buffet car and mail vans !! 

That was a "customer train". They don't carry "passengers" now, any more than "sundries" or cattle to Ballinasloe fair..............................only "customers"....

• Funny 2

Fully agree on the nostalgia. I long to see what I remember from my childhood, only remembering the good, not the bad.

Still, the last decade or two, the closest I get to rail travel is the Tranvia / tram up in Santa Cruz, so you guys don't know how lucky you are with your grey 071's, your 22000's and your RPSI specials!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Fully agree on the nostalgia. I long to see what I remember from my childhood, only remembering the good, not the bad.

Still, the last decade or two, the closest I get to rail travel is the Tranvia / tram up in Santa Cruz, so you guys don't know how lucky you are with your grey 071's, your 22000's and your RPSI specials!

The "good" I remember from my own childhood would be, i suppose, sinking back into deep seta cushions in forst class compartments in GNR coaches behind steam....playing with the antimacassars......... watching a GNR 0.6.0 shunting somewhere..... early sighting of a 121 and what I think was probably an all-black "C" class at Westland Row bumbling about..... seeing the last steam-hauled "Enterprise" at a level crossing, and Donegal locomotives and carriages at Strabane awaiting a never-to-appear Dr. Cox from America!  Teenage travels - first holidays away from home - with runabout tickets on a railway largely populated by clapped-out Park Royals, laminates and Bredins, new Cravens, and hauled by 121 / 141 / 181 / A & C class locos.

My one and only run behind a B101. Plus covering lines no longer with us - Harcourt St (OK, I don't remember THAT one - I was about 2!), Ardee, Loughrea, Mullingar-Athlone in a mail train, Kilmacthomas, New Ross, Claremorris - Limerick, Foynes on a cold day......Youghal on a hot day.................... and so on............

Also happy days footplatibng 5'6" gauge main line express steam in India in the 1970s, and in South Africa in 1977...........

• Like 8

For me, the "good" was on the outside rather than the inside, everything looked great but tended to be unreliable crap under the skin, the ST / IR era, Jacob's-orange Atlanteans, then the flat-faced Atlanteans in the new two-tone green, then the KC's and KD's, weekends at the end of a platform in Hueston or Connolly wasting the film in my Dad's camera, then as a teen in secondary school, spending lunchbreaks down by the railway line.

IMG_20230711_1037545.jpg

IMG_20230711_1039406.jpg

IMG_20230711_1035584.jpg

IMG_20230711_1036231.jpg

IMG_20230711_1037318.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

A favourite of mine was the Mk 3 hauled by a 71 Class Loco or even when they changed to a 201 loco on Cork - Dublin line but times change the 22000 are not the same but I still like them they have helped a lot to improve the Irish Rail network more services and comfort for passengers 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2