2024 Irish Model Speculation Thread!

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

So, to kickstart the new year, how about some speculation???

Anything to do with Irish model trains, trucks, buses and cars.

Likely arrivals over the coming months are IRM's NIR Mk2B/C coaches, Paddy Murphy's Mk2D coaches and his new run of 141's / 181's.

Hatton's Genesis coches are probably here by summer.

And for me, although not prototypically perfect, the Heljan Mk2's as respray donors!

Will we finally see two-tone green Dublin Bus Olympians from IRM?

Or at the very least, a mainstream livery to follow up the smashing City Swift buses?

Will we see Hino's from IRM?

Will Brian Collins hit us with a surprise bus commission?

Will anybody commission some Oxford vans? Maybe a triple pack of An Post, Telecom Eireann and ESB Transits?

Or two triples, a Telecom Eireann era pack and an Eircom era pack?

Will we see IRM develop a 21mm chassis for the next run of Bubbles?

Will we see 45' containers from @Arran's C-Rail stable?

Will we see Project 47 from IRM?

Will Paddy Murphy offer any more on the rumoured 071 re-run?

Or his Mk3's and 201's?

Will we have an update on IRM's steam project?

Will it be 21mm-friendly? Have they come up with some ingenious way of doing so? Wouldn't be surprised if they had, knowing them!

Trolling by @BosKonay is fully permitted, as I know he just can't help himself!

Will @Edo's bookcases collapse?

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

MM mk3's likely to be a hit with the demographic here. But I suspect the 141/181 re-runs may top the charts. Personally looking forward to the IRM Bulleid Beet wagons. 071 re-runs are promised including NIR blue and IR grey which have achieved crazy money on ebay this past 24months.  eBay collections likely to be devalued by the Loco re-runs from MM. Will IRM ever do either of the Sulzers? Not convinced there's enough nostalgia memory in the market for those wonderful CIE era diesels. I'd sell my pet hamster for B113 :) (if I had a pet hamster).

Best wishes for 2024 to all on here.

PS: Also very much looking forward to the IRM Park Royals.

• Like 2

In terms of delivery, 2024 is scheduled to see the following delivered to customers, in no particular order:

• ICR Sets
  • Bulleid Range (Flats, opens, perhaps some more)
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds
  • [Probably] Murphy Models 141/181 rerun (minimal details on the timeline just yet)

Beyond that into 2025, 26, there are four Diesel Projects, Two steam, Three coach, four wagon / freight stock and some accessory projects 'actively' underway as well as some overlapping Accurascale ranges that will feature IRM elements, all of which will be revealed once they have reached an advanced point (around about when Engineering samples / prototypes (*EP's) are in hand during 2024. 

3 hours ago, BosKonay said:

In terms of delivery, 2024 is scheduled to see the following delivered to customers, in no particular order:

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds
  • [Probably] Murphy Models 141/181 rerun (minimal details on the timeline just yet)

Beyond that into 2025, 26, there are four Diesel Projects, Two steam, Three coach, four wagon / freight stock and some accessory projects 'actively' underway as well as some overlapping Accurascale ranges that will feature IRM elements, all of which will be revealed once they have reached an advanced point (around about when Engineering samples / prototypes (*EP's) are in hand during 2024. 

That's a lot to choke down over the next few years!

Why did I think the ICR sets were 2025? Better get them paid off!

Accurascale ranges featuring IRM elements, now that sounds very interesting.

Mk1 BCK's / BSK's maybe!

Or British Container Flats with Lyons Tea boxes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BosKonay said:

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds

Better start saving more,  really looking forward to the IRM Mk2c packs and the ICR sets

Great work IRM lots of new models due, any chance of a MK4 set with DVT😀

Happy New Year to you all

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

It’s 30 years in May since the Arrow railcars were introduced-I would love to see the original livery to celebrate one of the most reliable units to work in Ireland. 

Have to admit, I have a soft spot for the 2600. I'd definitely invest in a few sets. 

• Agree 4

22 minutes ago, JasonB said:

Have to admit, I have a soft spot for the 2600. I'd definitely invest in a few sets. 

While too late for my interest period, a 2-car unit like this is absolutely ideal for a small layout / starter layout. I saw a mini-layout at an exhibition somewhere once which had just one (British) "bubble car" railcar - cab at each end - and it just shuttled back and forth to a small terminus in modern era style, with no run round, just a buffer stop and away back too where ye came from. It was surprisingly good to watch - largely because of extremely top-notch scenery realism. A two-car 2600 would be perfect for that. 

Had the Wisht Cark lines survived, or some of them, they might have a thing like that on a Cork - Bandon local.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BosKonay said:

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds

2025 / 2026 before we "see" a RTR steam loco?

I'll be EIGHTY (DV).

At least let us know WHAT, so I have something to look forward to in my dotage!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

45 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

I'll be EIGHTY (DV).

Be fair!

If they tell you, you'll have forgotten before you get upstairs.

• Funny 9

11 hours ago, BosKonay said:

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals

RPSI MkII sets? 

10 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

I'll be EIGHTY (DV).

Of all the people on all the threads, there's no better man to speculate on some Provincial Wagons releases!

That's something to look forward to!

11 hours ago, Bob229 said:

20230918_143045.jpg

C Dyer respray fine model, an IRM version would be most welcome in original and current livery 

Lovely shot, @Bob229. The carpark is particularly nice.

The spacing, the lack of clutter, also very evident on @Rob's Heuston North (no Heuston North updates nor North Wall photos lately, @Rob???) is great. We tend to try cram as much as possible in and it often feels very cluttered and unrealistic, but you two have nailed it perfectly.

Picked up two four-car 29000's from Chris a while back, the first four-car units he ever did, but the paintwork was abysmal. Chris retired before we could do anythinbg about it, so I'm stuck with them. I think that the paintwork on his later commissions suffered as his painters were overworked. Some of the earlier examples like yours look excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

On 1/1/2024 at 4:10 PM, BosKonay said:

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds

like02.gif

• Like 1

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds

some overlapping Accurascale ranges that will feature IRM elements:

This one should get a speculation thread all on it's own..

Here's a stab to get the conversation going:

MK2Fs, continuing on the Mk2 theme, although Bachmann and Hornby have both done them already, could give you NIR 904 and the Gatwicks

MK3s, done by most UK rail manufacturers by now, maybe something more niche like the MK3 international train which ended up on Irish Rail.. Also, Mk3 EGV would be a unique tooling that could be handy as they survived the scrappers axe

Ammonia wagons, yep the IFI wagons had very similar UK cousins(same diagram or similar)

BR class 08,09 and derivates, applying the modular accurascale approach and allowing for CIE D class?

• Like 4

On 3/1/2024 at 2:13 PM, MOGUL said:

some overlapping Accurascale ranges that will feature IRM elements:

This one should get a speculation thread all on it's own..

Here's a stab to get the conversation going:

MK2Fs, continuing on the Mk2 theme, although Bachmann and Hornby have both done them already, could give you NIR 904 and the Gatwicks

MK3s, done by most UK rail manufacturers by now, maybe something more niche like the MK3 international train which ended up on Irish Rail.. Also, Mk3 EGV would be a unique tooling that could be handy as they survived the scrappers axe

Ammonia wagons, yep the IFI wagons had very similar UK cousins(same diagram or similar)

BR class 08,09 and derivates, applying the modular accurascale approach and allowing for CIE D class?

I often thought of getting a British “08” and repainting it in CIE livery, but while the basic shape is the same, when you look at them there are a LOT of detail differences!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I often thought of getting a British “08” and repainting it in CIE livery, but while the basic shape is the same, when you look at them there are a LOT of detail differences!

Same! Was thinking about an O Gauge one when they were on offer, but on lookind at the photos, there were just too many differences to turn a blind eye to.

Maybe IRM's first O Gauge loco.....

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 10:59 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

Of all the people on all the threads, there's no better man to speculate on some Provincial Wagons releases!

That's something to look forward to!

Lovely shot, @Bob229. The carpark is particularly nice.

The spacing, the lack of clutter, also very evident on @Rob's Heuston North (no Heuston North updates nor North Wall photos lately, @Rob???) is great. We tend to try cram as much as possible in and it often feels very cluttered and unrealistic, but you two have nailed it perfectly.

Picked up two four-car 29000's from Chris a while back, the first four-car units he ever did, but the paintwork was abysmal. Chris retired before we could do anythinbg about it, so I'm stuck with them. I think that the paintwork on his later commissions suffered as his painters were overworked. Some of the earlier examples like yours look excellent!

Thanks DJ   went for a well worn car park look with a lack of white lines turned out well, only got 2600 DMU last January from C Dyer  and it is very well finished model

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 8:26 AM, Wexford70 said:

I'd love to see a guard's van (with working lamps of course) to go with the bulleid and other freight wagons. 

What's wrong with John Mayne's or my brake vans? Mind you, you'd have to fit your own light!

I'll wind up Patrick, Fran and Bosko by saying that they'd never do one as they sell SINGLY!!!! Not in threes!

2025 for a twin set of CIE brake vans - one with wood cladding and one with steel sheeting.

You heard it first here - from me. Definite prediction - just in time for my eightieth! (DV).

You know that it makes sense ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

40 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

What's wrong with John Mayne's or my brake vans? Mind you, you'd have to fit your own light!

I'll wind up Patrick, Fran and Bosko by saying that they'd never do one as they sell SINGLY!!!! Not in threes!

2025 for a twin set of CIE brake vans - one with wood cladding and one with steel sheeting.

You heard it first here - from me. Definite prediction - just in time for my eightieth! (DV).

You know that it makes sense ......

Absolutely nothing wrong with them. I think that John has a few RTR brake vans in stock right now.

https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/products/copy-of-cie-20t-brake-van-light-grey-23580

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0763.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• ICR Sets
  • NIR Mk2b packs
  • IRM Mk2c Packs
  • Park Royals
  • Murphy Models Mk2ds

Okay, so while all of this seems great and promising, what I do not like the look of is the word "Probably" in relation to the Murphy Models 141/181 rerun. I understand it is beyond the power of the lads at IRM to do anything about it but it is a bit frustrating . Are the bloody things coming out or not? And before you all come on and tell me to be patient, please remember that I only have two Irish locos. (One I got from a man we all know).So I don't want Johnny Mc ten locos telling me to relax.  When I originally heard murmurings of a rerun of the 141s I emailed Paddy Murphy for a possible timeline and was given a possible date of Q2 2023. That was in 2022. That changed to Q1 2024, which was to be expected, but what is this with "probably this year?" And the silence from Murphys is deafening. I know it is a one man operation but don't make announcements if nothing is going to happen. Maybe I am getting excited for nothing . Could someone on here elaborate please or should I give up and look at getting some "previously loved" locos?. ? Ok, rant over😀 Here's hoping..............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, derek said:

Okay, so while all of this seems great and promising, what I do not like the look of is the word "Probably" in relation to the Murphy Models 141/181 rerun. I understand it is beyond the power of the lads at IRM to do anything about it but it is a bit frustrating . Are the bloody things coming out or not? And before you all come on and tell me to be patient, please remember that I only have two Irish locos. (One I got from a man we all know).So I don't want Johnny Mc ten locos telling me to relax.  When I originally heard murmurings of a rerun of the 141s I emailed Paddy Murphy for a possible timeline and was given a possible date of Q2 2023. That was in 2022. That changed to Q1 2024, which was to be expected, but what is this with "probably this year?" And the silence from Murphys is deafening. I know it is a one man operation but don't make announcements if nothing is going to happen. Maybe I am getting excited for nothing . Could someone on here elaborate please or should I give up and look at getting some "previously loved" locos?. ? Ok, rant over😀 Here's hoping..............

From where I’m sitting, they are fairly imminent…..

Not enough to have a file waiting on my desk for tomorrow morning like the MK2Ds, or a file in the pile like the IRM MK2s but they are in the pipeline 

Edited by MOGUL

Patience is in order,  we waited a long time for the 121 but we got them eventually. Paddy is indeed a one man operation and that probably contributes enormously to the viability of his business but being relatively small probably has an impact on his influence with the producers. He may announce something but may have little control if for example the production run is bumped. What do we know about this rerun, is it being commissioned from Bachmann as before or independently by MM?

Edited by Ironroad