Modular OO Layouts

Rate this topic

murrayec

A bit late but just to fill in with recent info on Fremo, they have now made a full specification available in English.

See http://www.fremo-net.eu/h0_normentwurf.html?&L=6

There is also a section in Fremo who are doing 00. Their page is http://www.fremo-net.eu/00fremo.html?&L=6

Some pictures from one of their gatherings can be seen on https://secure.flickr.com/photos/91875255@N05/sets/72157644505284902/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current issue of Continental Modeller (September) has an interesting article on Eurotrack which is an international 'association of model railway clubs from across Europe'. The association includes 12 clubs from eight countries - Britain, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy and Hungary. The article outlines the history of the association and sets out details of the standardised module adopted. I know that Eurotrack uses HO standards but the concept and practices might be of interest to OO modellers on this thread.

The next Eurotrack exhibition is due to be held in Southampton on 20/21 September. The principal layout is due to be made up of some 44 modules totalling over 53m in length. See: http://solentmodelrailwaygroup.webs.com/ for information.

Edited by josefstadt

In all the research that Eoin and myself have done the biggest problem in the modular scene is dimensions. Despite that the NMRA have set the standards for module size each Fremo or modular group are adapting their own standards. I am taking part in a modular group in the UK next year that model in American outline and they have set a different standard in size of board. The NMRA in the UK have different standards than the US! It seems each group is trying to adapt their own standard locking participants into their system and way of doing things.

Myself and Eoin have now finalised the standards for Ireland and they are very close to NMRA US. The only change really is in the width, going from 610mm wide to 600mm wide to make it cheaper for getting more from raw materials. I will be offering a 1200mm x 600mm module for sale at a very competitive €50 per module. Legs will be offered at a discounted price.

I have 3 modules made and we will be making an announcement on Monday for the launch and exhibition of the first 3 modules. Watch this space!

Myself and Eoin got together today and assembled the 3 modules in the workshop with the 1 to1 scale drawings and laid them out. The plan is to model the section along Seapoint in Dublin, Eoin has started the structures and we will be displaying our work to date at the October bank holiday weekend in Raheny at the MRSI exhibition.

We plan to have a DART running on the layout.

We really hope now we have taken the first step this will encourage others to follow suit and get involved. If anyone is interested please get in touch.

Eoin is going to post the revised specification sheet up.

So here's a few pics and a taster of what's to come!

2014-09-01 14.45.17.jpg

2014-09-01 13.16.48.jpg

2014-09-01 13.16.58.jpg

2014-09-01 13.17.02.jpg

2014-09-01 13.17.13.jpg

2014-09-01 13.17.25.jpg

2014-09-01 13.17.45.jpg

2014-09-01 13.17.54.jpg

2014-09-01 13.19.15.jpg

2014-09-01 14.42.28.jpg

2014-09-01 14.42.47.jpg

2014-09-01 14.44.33.jpg

2014-09-01 14.44.38.jpg

2014-09-01 14.45.00.jpg

Thanks Rich, all credit to Eoin as it was his idea to model Seapoint. He has made an exceptional set of drawings with phenomenal amount of detail in them which means he can work on the structures at his house and I can be getting track laid and ballasted and all the wiring done at my house.

Hi All

Thanks for the comments

It was great out with Dave today, this was the first full scale set-up of the drawings & main features on Dave's well crafted modular baseboards- It's huge!

Its great to see the layout now at design completion, we stood there smiling, finally it's real! Then reality- we got down and made some adjustments, agreed the next stage and back to work. Still smiling.

I will revise the Modular Layout drawing over the next few days and post it up. Not much to change- some adjustments to depth of baseboard, the height of the baseboard, track right to ends of layout, and adjustment to the display lamp standard.

Sven-E

Thanks for those links, I took a look, some I read before and used in relation to the drawing. Regardless of which Fremo spec one reads our board spec will connect to most other Fremo systems, its just the matter of wiring and the like. I believe Dave will shed further light on the wiring in coming posts.

Regarding the running of trains and the ultimate use of a modular set-up, that can only be solidified when other modellers come with their layouts.

josefstadt

Thanks for that note, I must grab a copy of that mag and have a look

Regards

Eoin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Here is a shot of the up and running modular layout;-

MODL-00 IMAG1339.jpg

We are delighted with the response and interest we got over the 3 days of the MRSI show, the comments and well wishes for the future of the system are well received by Dave and myself- it made those late nights in Dave's workshop worth it.

We still have a lot to do, next stage is to introduce the stone wall finishes, add the rocks, install the sandy beaches!, model the waves of the sea, finish the catenary, add the trees, finish the ground cover...... the list is endless!

Dave took photos with his 35mm camera and hopefully will post up more photos.

Eoin

Hi All

Here is a shot of the up and running modular layout;-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15629[/ATTACH]

We are delighted with the response and interest we got over the 3 days of the MRSI show, the comments and well wishes for the future of the system are well received by Dave and myself- it made those late nights in Dave's workshop worth it.

We still have a lot to do, next stage is to introduce the stone wall finishes, add the rocks, install the sandy beaches!, model the waves of the sea, finish the catenary, add the trees, finish the ground cover...... the list is endless!

Dave took photos with his 35mm camera and hopefully will post up more photos.

Eoin

It was nice to meet you Eoin. Loved the developing layout, but I was astonished at the stunning Dart models. DMUs, railcars, Darts and Luas have never been 'my cup of tea', but your stunning Dart models could prove very tempting for this dinosaur locked in the GM loco and steam hauled train era.

Noel

• 5 months later...

Hi All

We had the Modular Seapoint Layout at the Wexford Show last weekend and Dave took a few shots of the work in progress;-

Dart cantenary spars have been installed.

Viewing area handrail installed.

Upper section of the footbridge installed.

More detail to the cannon added.

MODS-10 2015-04-05 17.06.13.jpg

MODS-11 2015-04-05 17.07.29.jpg

MODS-12 2015-04-05 17.05.51.jpg

MODS-13 2015-04-05 11.49.55.jpg

MODS-14 2015-04-05 11.49.42.jpg

MODS-15 2015-04-05 17.05.33.jpg

MODS-16 2015-04-05 15.55.22.jpg

Eoin

looking forward to seeing this in October. Layout progressing well, will watch this thread with interest

Due to the very high cost to exhibit in October we won't be bringing the modular layout. It will be next year before it's next outing.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I'm Slavek, originally from Poland, have been living in Ireland since 2006 with my family. I am H0 (Polish State Railways - PKP) and 00 (CIE, IE, IR) enthusiast. Having been talked a lot with Polish guys building modular layouts according to FREMO. Have also found OOFremo standards and I am really interested in building some modules. As I am new on this forum, I would like to ask you how popular is modular layouts in Ireland. How popular would be here in Ireland to joint the efforts and build according to one standard to be able to do some real line operations, etc. Or maybe it is happening already and I missed something. And if someone is already building that modules, what track do you use, ready built or self-builds. THanks for info. Slavek

Hi Slavek

Welcome to the forum, and great to see someone post here in ages

This modular system started off with great enthusiasm but with time the steam ran out, and at the moment not much is happening. We are still working on our Seapoint Modular layout, but workload has slowed us up, another chap is working on a 1200mm board- but that's how thing stand at the moment. Interest is low and I hope in the future with more free time we can finish Seapoint and get it out to promote the idea again....

The track we have used is ready built, but that doesn't mean you cant use self build, it just has to connect and be compatible with ready built.

Also keep in mind this system is not fully Fremo compatible and not finally designed, as we tried to keep things relatively simple and not have multi type boards, a persons module can do anything within that module, it just has to be compatible to join the system and have the two track through....

Do keep watching here, hopefully more will show interest when we get Seapoint finished

Eoin

Hi guys, thanks for reply. It might be a good idea to join the efforts in the future to build a decent point-to-point operation modular layout. I know guys from Poland would agree on particular modules that are needed to finish the scennery and they they will join in toghether and build a particular module, eg if the need a curve or say a track coming off the main line to the yard, etc. I think the most important would be to agree at least on end profiles of the modules. I would personally follow 00Fremo standards - those guys in Germany have been doing modular layout for the last 30 years at least!, they know what they are talking about and know what works. I know the cost might be a barrier for someone but, hey this is not cheap hobby after all and I dont personally think 1200mm x 610mm board is ideal from the practical reason - imagine to carry it or transport it! OOFremo standar is 500mm wide and it might be good idea to have it 900mm long as PECO flexi track is 914mm long (just to have something to cut/shapa at the end, etc). Personally, I am thinking to start of something not too much complicated, so was thinking of building Dunsandle station from the golden 70s and then maybe few modules. Scenery could be extremely variable and beautifull. I have already checked lots of www (Polish/German). I am going end of November to Poland for a exibition as well. I know by joint effort those guys have build and exhibit nearly 300 metres of modular layout... Just beautiful! Check with you guys later.