Silver fox B101

Rate this topic

Killucan2

The seller appears to be Silver Fox, John Hazleton, Stockport. Looks like it could go for more than the Silver Fox web site price, already £132 after 6 bids.

It wouldn't be the first time that an item of Irish stock sold for more on eBay than it could be bought from a supplier for..... :rolleyes:

The seller appears to be Silver Fox, John Hazleton, Stockport. Looks like it could go for more than the Silver Fox web site price, already £132 after 6 bids.

Hi No. 4,

I just don't get that: Do you have a link to Johns Website, where the B101 class locos are already available? I would really like to see one in black and tan, but I still don't find ANY B 101 on his site :confused: The one on ebay is the second one I see after the pictures of the silverish one here on the forum.

Cheers

Gerhard.

Definitely Sterling. Absolutely ridiculous... the list price is £148 for the RTR version.

I've seen twits bidding against each other on a vinyl copy of an album that is still available from the record labels own online shop, and paying over the odds for the pleasure

I've seen twits bidding against each other on a vinyl copy of an album that is still available from the record labels own online shop, and paying over the odds for the pleasure

Yep, vinyl collectors are on a par... it pays to stop and do a quick Google search before clicking on 'bid' or 'buy it now'!

Sure look at the A class wrong cab but people still got them.

They did, but things were very different back then. Even though it's not all that long ago, Irish modellers had very little available to them in the form of locomotives at that time. When you consider that the A class is a very popular and desirable locomotive, it's not surprising that so many bought one, or more, despite it's shortcomings. Since then, a lot has changed. Largely due to Murphy Models, but also because of other projects by others. Basically, the quality we've come to expect has risen dramatically. Plus, the amount of locomotives and rolling stock available to buy at the present time means that the average modeller can't afford all of it, and needs to be selective in what they purchase. So basically, anything that is deemed to be sub standard will be first to be ruled out of any buying decision, at least as far as I'm concerned......

They did, but things were very different back then. Even though it's not all that long ago, Irish modellers had very little available to them in the form of locomotives at that time. When you consider that the A class is a very popular and desirable locomotive, it's not surprising that so many bought one, or more, despite it's shortcomings. Since then, a lot has changed. Largely due to Murphy Models, but also because of other projects by others. Basically, the quality we've come to expect has risen dramatically. Plus, the amount of locomotives and rolling stock available to buy at the present time means that the average modeller can't afford all of it, and needs to be selective in what they purchase. So basically, anything that is deemed to be sub standard will be first to be ruled out of any buying decision, at least as far as I'm concerned......

People are still buying them though. I'd kill for a top quality A Class and they're just about my favourite Irish loco along with the 071s but there was no way I was touching the Silverfox one. I'm sure a good one will eventually come.

I agree with aclass. We all have repaints and 'not great' stuff in the cupboard that's now put to shame by the stuff that's now available.

If you told me four years ago I'd have a protypical DeDietrich enterprise running around on a layout behind a sound chipped 201 I'd have laughed you out of the house! Never mind the rest of the Paddy stable, D&M models, and excellent looking small run freight stock..

While detailed, etc, my Silverfox locos tend to sit on shed now.

If it wasn't for the Silver Fox A class I wouldn't be modeling Irish Railways. When I started the railway I had practically no experience modifying or scratch building rolling stock and A class and 141/181 were the minimum requirements to effectively portray the era I wanted to model. My goal is to create a realistic plausible model railway which is fun to operate in a prototypical manner and striving to produce an A class up to the standard of Paddy Murphys GM's would not get me far down that road even if I had the ability to do so. At some stage the models will be upgraded, either with the SSM detail kit, when I am more confident in my ability to do a good job of it, or with a new model which will hopefully come on the market. For now when I view the layout in action I don't see a diesel model of questionable accuracy hauling a string of nice looking containers on underframes loosely modified to represent an Irish prototype all running on narrow gauge track. What I see is the Cork Waterford Bell liner travelling between Grange and Glenn More. I would never have started the layout if it was not for the Silver Fox A class.

• Like 1

Oh I am :):):) They still get a run :) Will have to find time to double up their pulling power as per Kirleys great work!

Stephen I've had a play about with the double motor system on DCC and the best decoder for running the 2 motors at the minute looks to be TCS. I've tried several brands of decoder and the TCS handels the 2 motors nicely.

As for the Silver Fox A/C class yes its not exactly 100% but with the SSM detail kit and a little work you can have a fairly decent model of the A/C class until someone comes along with a 100% RTR model I'm quite happy with the SF version.

Edited by Flying Scotsman 4472

Well put Patrick! At the end of the day, it's waay better than either the BR Class33 or Hymek repaints from the 70s!

You've got your layout up and running & it gives you pleasure to operate & 'watch the liner pass' - that's all that matters at the end of the day!

Absolutely....... but going on that logic, why should Paddy Murphy and other model producers invest so much time, money and effort into producing models that are as close to perfect as possible?

The Irish model scene has made enormous strides forward in recent years. That's why models like Silver Fox's new Sulzer won't sell in the numbers the Silver Fox A class did when it was released. (in my opinion, of course..)