Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is a clearer pictures of the wooden chocks in action on an 071. I put this up a number of years ago. They were lying on the ground with a small length of rope attached to each one.clipboard_image_359ec678e53b4df5.thumb.png.d7bb972174c33debc5e99e4f3850718f.png

Edited by spudfan
  • Like 6

Chocks do stop a runaway if the external handbrake released by ****tards making up for lack of school career. 

On BR class 31s had chocks as handbrake could not be relied on and secondmen tasked with securing loco/ removing once air brake applied on startup. 

I can see the loco has also been pulled off the wagons ready for the run round.

Grand phots as ever.

Robert  

• Like 2

Obviously I liked the GNR shots, but it was the photo at Inchicore which caught my eye - I hadn't realised that the Work's Platform was so long!

When was it shortened / removed, or is it still there - I wouldn't know as it's on the non-milepost side and I'm always on the other side of the train!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

....GNRI 1956-09-14 Clones shed 41 LN428 GNRI 1956-09-14 Clones shed 41 LN428  

Clones shed is brilliant, as if a flying saucer had landed. At least it still exists, even if it's not publicly accessible, unlike Portadown. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Obviously I liked the GNR shots, but it was the photo at Inchicore which caught my eye - I hadn't realised that the Work's Platform was so long!

When was it shortened / removed, or is it still there - I wouldn't know as it's on the non-milepost side and I'm always on the other side of the train!

The platform went when the third road was extended over Sarsfield Road bridge and up to meet the four-track section at the west end of the Works. The Platform wasn't just for the Works. There are references to Summer Sunday trains to and from DSE destinations in earlier Irish Railfans' News.

The Down Home signal attached to the footbridge is unusual.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

On 7/7/2024 at 9:10 PM, Robert Shrives said:

Chocks do stop a runaway if the external handbrake released by ****tards making up for lack of school career. 

Respectfully, Robert, I would watch the language you use there. Perhaps soften the apparent abuse of people who you consider unintelligent. Railway safety is an important issue but verbal abuse does nothing. I do not want to start an argument but that language, although I cannot tell quite what childish insult you may have used, is uncalled for and especially unpleasant as I believe the term used was a slur “applicable” generally to those who may have intellectual or developmental disabilities. Watch what you say about people, especially around those who may have been bullied for disabilities or neurological conditions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LNERW1 said:

Respectfully, Robert, I would watch the language you use there. Perhaps soften the apparent abuse of people who you consider unintelligent. Railway safety is an important issue but verbal abuse does nothing. I do not want to start an argument but that language, although I cannot tell quite what childish insult you may have used, is uncalled for and especially unpleasant as I believe the term used was a slur “applicable” generally to those who may have intellectual or developmental disabilities. Watch what you say about people, especially around those who may have been bullied for disabilities or neurological conditions.

The term "****tard" has no relation to the term "retard", which I suspect you are implying.

A ****tard is basically somebody who is dangerously stupid, so @Robert Shrives is spot on with his comment.

NB:

****tard
noun

An extraordinarily stupid person, especially one that causes harm.

Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License • More at Wordnik

Posted (edited)

I see. I apologise, then, for my anger above. I believed Robert was using playground insults and was quite shocked as I know him to be a kind man of good judgement. Apologies, Robert, I hope you understand.

Edit: and, DJ, although I get your point, I believe “****tard” is derived from “retard”, if it implies stupidity, as the English language, and those who shape it, can often be cruel.

Edited by LNERW1

4 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

I see. I apologise, then, for my anger above. I believed Robert was using playground insults and was quite shocked as I know him to be a kind man of good judgement. Apologies, Robert, I hope you understand.

Edit: and, DJ, although I get your point, I believe “****tard” is derived from “retard”, if it implies stupidity, as the English language, and those who shape it, can often be cruel.

Every word is derived from something. If one wishes to look for an excuse to be offended, one will find it.

• Agree 4

On 6/7/2024 at 11:37 AM, spudfan said:

Here is a clearer pictures of the wooden chocks in action on an 071. I put this up a number of years ago. They were lying on the ground with a small length of rope attached to each one.clipboard_image_359ec678e53b4df5.thumb.png.d7bb972174c33debc5e99e4f3850718f.png

Wooden scotch blocks -no ropes attached. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Hi I stand fully corrected sorry if I caused you grief not intended I will of course refain in any action in future. thanks for folks time . 

Robert  

• Like 1

That is fine Robert, I misunderstood the language you used. I can be quite touchy specifically around words like “retard” or “spastic” that I’ve had used against me because I’m autistic. The same goes for apparent insults against people with disabilities those slurs describe. I was unaware of the language you were using and believed it was a much more severe insult that I find inappropriate and am uncomfortable with. I shouldn’t have assumed a man such as yourself would use such language. I apologise for the misunderstanding and hope you have a good afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Wooden scotch blocks -no ropes attached. 

I took the photo and the blocks were lying on the ground. They were picked up by a small rope attached to them.    There were two chocks joined by one piece of rope

Edited by spudfan

55 minutes ago, spudfan said:

I took the photo and the blocks were lying on the ground. They were picked up by a small rope attached to them.    There were two chocks joined by one piece of rope

I worked in the freight yard and have never seen such scotches there. 

11 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ballina station 080 prepares to run round

Ballina  078 on the Manulla 'shuttle'justa181

CDRJC 1957-06-08  Donegal Town Railcars 16,19 +20 LN1086

CDRJC 1957-06-08 Ballyshannon wagons 245 & 113 LN1087

Ballina station 080 prepares to run round Ballina  078 on the Manulla 'shuttle'justa181 CDRJC 1957-06-08  Donegal Town Railcars 16,19 +20 LN1086 CDRJC 1957-06-08 Ballyshannon wagons 245 & 113 LN1087

Love the last two.photos of course

• Agree 1

Now - AND THIS IS A WIND-UP -

Note the BR furniture containers in corrugated opens in the background of the photo of the "E" Class at Kingsbridge.

The Bachmann model of said container WON'T FIT INTO THE NEW IRM OPEN!!!

Comments gents?

Mind you - it won't fit into my kit of these wagons either!

In the interests of scientific experiment, I'll get my files out and adjust the container and post the results!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Now - AND THIS IS A WIND-UP -

Note the BR furniture containers in corrugated opens in the background of the photo of the "E" Class at Kingsbridge.

The Bachmann model of said container WON'T FIT INTO THE NEW IRM OPEN!!!

Comments gents?

Mind you - it won't fit into my kit of these wagons either!

In the interests of scientific experiment, I'll get my files out and adjust the container and post the results!

Are they in the open corrugated or behind them on the next line?🤔

I might be wrong but just curious.

Ah this is a wind up 🫣

Edited by Gabhal Luimnigh
DOH
  • Like 1

Lovely Ernie. Glenfarne shot is probably the 2pm goods out of Enniskillen. A close look at the shot of the Omagh train suggests that the 7:20 to Sligo will be railbus worked tonight. There is no stock in the Sligo bay, which implies the bogie coach did not travel across on the 1115 goods ex Sligo. This was an increasingly common occurrence in the line’s final days, much to the chagrin of many an enthusiast!

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

4 John Dewing slides today. It appears that GNRI practice on the Dublin-Belfast Main re ballasting was to pack the sleepers with ballast underneath the chairs/rail but leave a depression on plain track in the middle possibly to assist drainage. Interesting detail to model along with a line of new or re-placed sleepers (its hard to tell which) on the last photo.

GNRI 1963-05-19 Wellington Bank 91 JGD630606.

GNRI 1963-05-28 Belfast GVS WT54 JGD630620.

GNRI 1965-07-11 Laytown JGD651110.

GNRI 1964-06-02 Mount Pleasant 54 JGD640425.

GNRI 1963-05-19 Wellington Bank 91 JGD630606 GNRI 1963-05-28 Belfast GVS WT54 JGD630620 GNRI 1965-07-11 Laytown JGD651110 GNRI 1964-06-02 Mount Pleasant 54 JGD640425

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

4 John Dewing slides today. It appears that GNRI practice on the Dublin-Belfast Main re ballasting was to pack the sleepers with ballast underneath the chairs/rail but leave a depression on plain track in the middle possibly to assist drainage. Interesting detail to model along with a line of new or re-placed sleepers (its hard to tell which) on the last photo.

GNRI 1963-05-19 Wellington Bank 91 JGD630606.

GNRI 1963-05-28 Belfast GVS WT54 JGD630620.

GNRI 1965-07-11 Laytown JGD651110.

GNRI 1964-06-02 Mount Pleasant 54 JGD640425.

GNRI 1963-05-19 Wellington Bank 91 JGD630606   GNRI 1964-06-02 Mount Pleasant 54 JGD640425

"Centre cess" drainage with the drain in the centre of the 5' appears to have been commonly used in Ireland up to the 80s. The same arrangement was used in the cuttings on the Islandbridge Junction-North Wall line and on the Cork Line at Stacumny Bridge between Lucan Nth and Hazlehatch. (Cyril Fry H Stacpoole collection) 1961 photo of green B110 on an Up Waterford passenger Irish Railways in Colour a Second Glance" (Midland Publishing 1995

Practice probabably ceased with the introduction of mechanised track maintenance from the 1970s onwards, would be challenging to model!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Galteemore said:

CIE kept up the practice re ballasting and the Dundalk-Drogheda section was always fairly tidy into the 80s as I recall it. Would be interested in @leslie10646 comments on how well Moguls performed on Dublin passenger work. 98 certainly looks well fired passing Fr Murphy’s.

24 February 1962, I went to Dublin on a Rugby special. Pre-timing days, I'm afraid. These notes from a late friend who took more notice of things than I did!

The Specials were: Moguls  93,98, VS 210.

08.15 regular: 104+10 bogies.

8.45 spl stopped GWD and DKJ. Running time 2 hours 31 mins. No.98+10 bogies driver Charlie Hurson, arrived 30 mins late due to sigs etc. Inspector (Frank) Dunlop on 98. Presumably Frank was there to give encouragement  and advice on handling the mogul from his home territory. The two stops will have cost a decent amount of time, so all in all probably a decent effort.

9.25 spl booked nonstop: 93+10 bogies. Booked 2 1/2 hours. Sigs PPS and GWD and stopped DKJ for water. Running 17 late. Inspector Hanley on 93.

I have the log my friend took. Driver Arthur Boreland of Adelaide. Lurgan passed in 29'34 at 65, max 66 beyond, , 34'34 to pass Portadown, 50s across The Bog, Goraghwood in 61'15 at 15mph a temporary restriction at the worst possible place, recovered to 30 but fell to 22 at the top. Ran freely downhill, max 72 to stop in Dundalk in 89'48.

Onwards ran in mid to high fities with a minimum of 45 at Kellystown followed by a little sprint to 61 before the Drogheda slacks. 71 down Rush bank suggests that the typical mogul free running was no myth. 71'29 to Amiens Street.

11.10 spl 210+10 bogies. On time. Inspector Mullen on 210. Showing that the GNR 4-40s were still best on their own main line. 210 would have had a 2hrs 30-ish schedule.

In 1962, I returned with the 6pm special, No.210 and nine bogie coaches. Bob Surgeon of Adelaide, again with Inspector Mullen who came down on the VS, I guess his job was to get the first special home in good style to ensure no hold-ups for the later trains!  42'10 to pass Drogheda, no speed over 61, but 72 at Dromin Jct descending to Dundalk, reached in 68 minutes.

The following year, 1963, I travelled with No.91 and 8 bogie coaches on the 0925 special with one of Adelaide's finest, Arthur Boreland. He took the 90 minutes allowed to a water stop at Dundalk. Mind you, his fifty minutes Portadown to Dundalk looks very slow compared with recent runs with No.85, albeit with smaller load. No.91 took the 70 minutes allowed on to Dundalk - a slower schedule than the previous year.

Returnng in the evening - same loco and load we took 76 minutes to Dundalk, but with a bit of 70mph running "down Dunleer".

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your query - but you get a flavour?  @Galteemore

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1