Prototype operation of models & layout design

Rate this topic

David Holman

To try and equate Irish Railway Models with the number of fictitious layouts which we've heard of for 18 months now, combined with the arrogant distain you have for exhibitors is disgusting.

You also insult three other members here, and the entire community who support it.

And we all have real lives too, don't try and pull that one.

I find your perspective strange , I was merely commenting on my personal opinion of layouts I perceive were designed for the sole purpose of exhibitions

as for IrishRailwayModels, I fully support such a start-up and what its trying to do , I was merely making a point that we all start with an " idea", I fail to see how I insulted any "three other members here", I never mentioned a bad word about any of the three.

sure the proof is in the " eating" , but in all ventures time will tell and we shall see, I personally have no particular timescale and a lot depends on money , time , space and all the other thing going on in my life. But the photographic work, personal accounts , drawings etc, that I have already collected on Claremorris represents a body of work in itself useful to future modellers , as I said I didn't throw rocks at your work, please dont throw them at mine , I merely dont agree with some of your views, and you seem not to like that when people disagree with you :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how you go for sweeping general statement to 'my personal opinion' in the space of two sentences. You've slagged off a huge amount of modellers on this forum with your previous post for a start, with you superiority complex regarding signalling. Not to mention the model railway clubs who work hard to put on shows and build exhibits every year to appeal to both us enthusiasts and the general public alike. Do the general public get the horn over semaphore signalling and prototype paths? Not a hope. I reckon you could count on Bart Simpsons right hand how many people do on this forum and at our local shows.

If it flicks your switch then run with it. Fair play to you. But do not come on here and insult those who are not interested in it. This is not an arena that will tolerate that. Maybe bring up your sickening arrogance at the next show you attend and see how you get on instead of hiding behind your keyboard and being too afraid of telling people who you are behind the online persona.

Sorry, am I not allowed merely to express my opinion, I have a particular perspective in signalling, but I was placing that in a context of the original OPs comments that we are rapidly losing the memory of how these prototypes railways operated. If more people looked at signalling then there clearly would be more retained knowledge

Thats all I said, I never commented on any specifc layout built by any specific person. what they do is their business

what I did give was my opinion

if that came across as harsh then I apologise, I did not see it so, nor was it intended as so.

I think any large layout , operated to its potential , particularly at an exhibition, , needs a "layout" timetable , other wise you just get chaos

Dave

A timetable is fine. Just not one that involves having too much "dead time" between movements, punctuated by gruff operators who grunt a reply to any questions without looking you in the eye!

Not to mention the model railway clubs who work hard to put on shows and build exhibits every year to appeal to both us enthusiasts and the general public alike. Do the general public get the horn over semaphore signalling and prototype paths? Not a hope.

The OP was not talking about exhibitions, and my comments were placed in that context of his posts. ( i.e. the decline in prototype operating knowledge)

nor in any sentence did I criticise any model railway club, merely what I like and dont like, or should I simply not say what I like and dont like

A timetable is fine. Just not one that involves having too much "dead time" between movements, punctuated by gruff operators who grunt a reply to any questions without looking you in the eye!

yes its an issue, at some of the major UK shows , I notice many layouts have a point man, who isn't operating the layout and can answer questions, thats a great idea. But its very difficult to run a multi man layout and also talk to people at the same time. my single experience of it left me with very clear issues

hence the rise of a certain style of " exhibition " layout, rather then a layout being exhibited ( if you see what I mean )

Sorry, am I not allowed merely to express my opinion, I have a particular perspective in signalling, but I was placing that in a context of the original OPs comments that we are rapidly losing the memory of how these prototypes railways operated. If more people looked at signalling then there clearly would be more retained knowledge

Thats all I said, I never commented on any specifc layout built by any specific person. what they do is their business

what I did give was my opinion

if that came across as harsh then I apologise, I did not see it so, nor was it intended as so.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, but do not insult everyone or indeed anyone while you make it. There's no need to play dumb about it. I know you're not stupid despite your appalling spelling and grammar. You know exactly what you did and it's plain to see in your previous posts. All you've served to do is take a good topic started by David and fill it with bile and arrogance.

The OP was not talking about exhibitions, and my comments were placed in that context of his posts. ( i.e. the decline in prototype operating knowledge)

nor in any sentence did I criticise any model railway club, merely what I like and dont like, or should I simply not say what I like and dont like

I hate " exhibition layouts " build to just run roundy roundy trains on the basis of " simple things for simple folk". its the ultimate fob off for railway modellers. I see these increasing at irish events and Im not happy !.

As a club member I find this insulting personally. We don't 'fob' anyone off.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, but do not insult everyone or indeed anyone while you make it. There's no need to play dumb about it. I know you're not stupid despite your appalling spelling and grammar. You know exactly what you did and it's plain to see in your previous posts. All you've served to do is take a good topic started by David and fill it with bile and arrogance.

I disagree with your conclusion , and you are taking my exhibition layout comment out of context of the whole post as I sought to reply to the OPs original topic ( and not how it became )

as for my spelling and grammar I can only apologise. I did not in any of my posts attack any particular poster here, yet it seems fair game that they attack me ( and not actually discuss the subject matter).

I have no issue with people replying to my post and putting a counter argument, yet all that happens is people sling mud at the poster and play the man not the ball

none of this helps the original posters comments on the decline in prototype operations knowledge

As a club member I find this insulting personally. We don't 'fob' anyone off.

well then I apologise for the use of the term "fob". What I meant was that I personally do not like layouts that are built solely for exhibitions in that they present a perspective of the hobby to the average joe public.

to me a good layout is immensely interesting even with nothing moving, one can study the method of construction of track, scenery , buildings etc., examine the signalling etc and talk to the builders to boot.

again, I placed my exhibition layout comments in the thread in the context of the OPs comments, in that such layouts do nothing to capture the prototypical operation of the real thing and thats was what I was trying to say ( however appalling spelt with bad grammar )

Edited by Junctionmad

I disagree with your conclusion , and you are taking my exhibition layout comment out of context of the whole post as I sought to reply to the OPs original topic ( and not how it became )

as for my spelling and grammar I can only apologise. I did not in any of my posts attack any particular poster here, yet it seems fair game that they attack me ( and not actually discuss the subject matter).

I have no issue with people replying to my post and putting a counter argument, yet all that happens is people sling mud at the poster and play the man not the ball

none of this helps the original posters comments on the decline in prototype operations knowledge

Playing the victim now? I think you can see from the amount of adverse reactions you posts have generated along with PMs we mods have received that you have insulted a great deal of members on here, personalised or not.

to me a good layout is immensely interesting even with nothing moving, one can study the method of construction of track, scenery , buildings etc., examine the signalling etc and talk to the builders to boot.

Interesting to you but not to many people who attend these events. I appreciate good trackwork, scenery, etc. as much as anyone. But it's all for nought if you don't see trains running - prototypically or not.

Playing the victim now? I think you can see from the amount of adverse reactions you posts have generated along with PMs we mods have received that you have insulted a great deal of members on here, personalised or not.

fine, if you wish that I extend an apology to any member here, that feels in some way that I personally offended them , then I do so willingly. That was not my intention. I had no specific member of this forum or their layout in mind when I wrote the post and in fact most of my conclusions are derived from some UK shows

Interesting to you but not to many people who attend these events. I appreciate good trackwork, scenery, etc. as much as anyone. But it's all for nought if you don't see trains running - prototypically or not.

I know this , again my posts are reflections of my views. Look at adavoyle junction, now thats an " exhibition layout" and was designed to be so . ( and its roundy roundy) I fully understand that exhibitions have to appeal to the public , but that doesnt mean I have to like it ( "see trains running - prototypically or not")

I know this , again my posts are reflections of my views. Look at adavoyle junction, now thats an " exhibition layout" and was designed to be so . ( and its roundy roundy) I fully understand that exhibitions have to appeal to the public , but that doesnt mean I have to like it ( "see trains running - prototypically or not")

As an exhibitor of many years and on many layouts, Ive not once had someone directly point out to me that my operations were bad. Its mostly compliments I get.

Ive said it repeatedly, in Ireland at least people want to watch trains go by, or round and round and round. They want to be entertained. Realism,accuracy,scale etc is only appreciated by a few and thats fine. The fact that the Lego layout is the most popular of late says it all. People who come to be entertained make up the bulk of the attendance. People who are modellers,critiques etc also come along but if it was them alone who attended, the show would not make a profit and would not be repeated

It also says in the exhibitors manual for the Warley show that you are there to entertain and engage each and every visitor

I think you are the one who is going around in circles, ever decreasing ones

As an exhibitor of many years and on many layouts, Ive not once had someone directly point out to me that my operations were bad. Its mostly compliments I get.

Ive said it repeatedly, in Ireland at least people want to watch trains go by, or round and round and round. They want to be entertained. Realism,accuracy,scale etc is only appreciated by a few and thats fine. The fact that the Lego layout is the most popular of late says it all. People who come to be entertained make up the bulk of the attendance. People who are modellers,critiques etc also come along but if it was them alone who attended, the show would not make a profit and would not be repeated

It also says in the exhibitors manual for the Warley show that you are there to entertain and engage each and every visitor

I think you are the one who is going around in circles, ever decreasing ones

HI Blaine , my various exhibition comments were in the context of the OPs comment , nor was I addressing the issue of any specific layout operation.

This was forcibly brought home to me a couple of years ago when exhibiting at a show in Sussex. None of my usual operators were available that weekend, but a couple of other club members kindly volunteered. What I didn't realise [but was soon to find out], was that they had virtually no knowledge of railway operation & had probably never done more than run their own models round in circles.

They were not a comment on model railway exhibitions in general , or why they exist or to whom they are pitched etc, nor where they addressing the commercial aspects of exhibitions. They were made in the context of the idea that a model railway can be a form of historical document , so to speak

Anyone who attends Scalefours national show, will know the current difficulty it has in sustaining itself financially , but as a demonstration/exhibition of finescale ultimate railway modelling its probably peerless.

As I said , I was commenting on the Op and his concerns

Now, if simply watching the trains go by is your thing, then fine, but for me, things take on extra dimensions if you can replicate what the prototype did.

and how exhibitions can , in my view , sometimes work against that ( which was only one of the smaller topics in the whole post ), for example I dont think the Lego model helps in our ability to replicate the prototype , its brings in the punters sure , but thats different

Edited by Junctionmad

Guys its Christmas, can we all smile, and just realise we are really the same just wonderfully different. :) Keyboards can disguise the generosity of spirit that really resides inside human hearts.

Wishing everybody on here a happy and peaceful Christmas.

living-nativity-header.jpg

As "Ted" might say, railway modellers, "a great bunch of lads"

Jaysus I thought Boutros Boutros Ghali had joined the site. Don't think it will make the Nobel peace prize.

Rich,

....Keyboards can disguise the generosity of spirit .....

'tis a feckin' good disguise.

Here you go garfieldsghost, I'll leave the ceremony up to you....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21866[/ATTACH]

Would that be the same size as the one Ted won for the "Three Elvises Act" in the Priests' Talent Show?

Jaysus I thought Boutros Boutros Ghali had joined the site. Don't think it will make the Nobel peace prize.

No, 'beam me up scotty' comes to mind. :)

From seeing this sort of difference of opinion or difference of interpretation on other forums over the years, folks that had met face to face seemed to get on better and were able to discuss opposing opinions without upsetting each other. It is a fact that normal decent folk behind keyboards on the internet can end up in a spat because there are no facial expressions, no eye contact, and no tone of voice, just text which without the other queues can lead to unnecessary heat. Two chaps I knew years ago were on the steps of a court house 8 years ago after an alleged liable during an internet spat, they met face to face, talked it out, realised they had both misunderstood the others intentions, over reacted and escalated what had started as a minor issue. Had they met 'face2face' in a pub it would never have happened. Ironically they ended up the best of mates. Strange but true. Sorry for going off piste (topic), but wish all could calm down. Nobody has died, it a model railway forum, not how to solve the worlds serious problems, and most definitely not the UN.

Couldn't agree more!!!!

"......From seeing this sort of difference of opinion or difference of interpretation on other forums over the years, folks that had met face to face seemed to get on better and were able to discuss opposing opinions without upsetting each other. It is a fact that normal decent folk behind keyboards on the internet can end up in a spat because there are no facial expressions, no eye contact, and no tone of voice, just text which without the other queues can lead to unnecessary heat. Two chaps I knew years ago were on the steps of a court house 8 years ago after an alleged liable during an internet spat, they met face to face, talked it out, realised they had both misunderstood the others intentions, over reacted and escalated what had started as a minor issue. Had they met 'face2face' in a pub it would never have happened. Ironically they ended up the best of mates. Strange but true. Sorry for going off piste (topic), but wish all could calm down. Nobody has died, it a model railway forum, not how to solve the worlds serious problems, and most definitely not the UN......"

Seems like I've opened the proverbial can of worms here....

Not my intention!

The issue is that of increasing numbers of people not having experienced railway operation pre 1970 and the effect it can have on layout design, choice of period etc etc.

If folk want to do their own thing, fine. At times, I can enjoy seeing trains go round in circles, BUT doing things (reasonably) properly can very much enhance the whole experience, which is surely one of the main purposes of this forum.

Your initial point, David, is perfectly right and very well put. As you also suggest, though, while (in my opinion) wide access to absolutely, meticulously correct and detailed information on all aspects of the past railway is of great importance, there is room for absolutely all and every other aspect of modelling too.

Meanwhile, I'll email you with some "detailed" observations regarding Arigna Road! (And I'm hoping that for the first time, the RPSI May tour will visit there....)

I've been mulling this over for a bit. If I had an exhibition layout, let's say 16' long 2' wide, a perfect replica of say Askeaton, where would I start with the operational side of things?

I'd have scale speed for arrivals. But I'm hardly going to have the train stopped for 5 minutes waiting for yer man with the flag?

I know sod all about shunting rules, and I know how to make semaphore signals, but haven't a baldy about placement or operation.I'd sooner eat an operating manual than read it.

So David, what do you, Andy,Ed, or the many exhibitors think is the happy medium? Is there one? Keep the audience or the operator happy?

Personally, as one of the majority of exhibition attenders - the viewers, rather than exhibitors - I like to see a "round'n'round", as the trains are in operation. But once I get my own thing up, running and built (I moved house last year), I'd be onto accurate operation.

I think that even for those of us with an interest in absolute accuracy, it would be hard to concentrate on a layout operated thus at an exhibition, and it wouldn't be easy, if possible at all, for an exhibitor to concentrate hard on correct operation, while talking to and interacting with the public. To do it properly you'd need one person to operate and another to talk!

Now - as I've said numerous times - I've the greatest expect for all aspects and opinions; that's just my tuppence worth.

My point is - to answer the question, I think the exhibitor has to have final word, or at least a major say, as he's sitting there not getting paid!

Most exhibitions seem to have a good mix, with everything from highly accurate models to "Thomas"!

Glenderg raises the realistic scenario of a train sitting five minutes in a station. Here's one old-fashioned, original, and highly effective solution.

The late jhb171 Senior had a huge old coarse scale O gauge layout in his youth. Now, we're going back to the mid to late 1920s here. His own father, who was a very skilled modeller indeed (unlike me), adapted an old clock to run at higher speed - 12 times normal speed. You could see the hands going round.

While scenery was absent, the railway was run to strict timetable. It had a double track main line with a single track branch, and another single track loop of some sort. There were slow and fast up and down passenger trains, light engines, shunting procedures, two large goods yards, and slow and semi-fast goods services. Even shunting engines had duty rosters, like in real life.

He would wind the clockwork locomotives, and wind the (clockwork!) clock, and set it all going. The clock ticked away, completing a 24 hour day cycle in two hours.

By the time I was old enough to appreciate it, the clock had become worn out, and his LMS 4.4.0 tinplate locomotive was reckoned to have run over 1000 actual miles....

It's all gone to Tinplate Heaven now..

But a "faster clock" idea might be of interest to a modern modeller determined to have absolute operational accuracy, and surely must be possible to replicate using all the modern gadgetology that exists....

(....there must be an "app".....)!

Edited by jhb171achill

Actually I agree with Glenderg here , well up to a point ( or semaphore ) you certainly can't run a model layout to a prototypical timetable. Nor have you prototypical berth track distances or clearance distances around signals. So by its very nature it's s compromise.

I don't think the OP was specifically targeting exhibition layouts , in my view ( note ) it's somewhat incongruous to focus say on purity of rolling stock and then run it incorrectly or to ignore signalling etc. I mean it's railway modelling not train modelling.

But I accept that many people have no interest in how the prototype operated and that's fine. But I think , like the OP if you go to the effort of modelling an " era " it surely behoves modellers to equally try and operate it in a prototypical fashion. ( whatever that means. )

I do wonder however if the " hobby" always had many participants who didn't care about prototypical operation even when the prototype was there to see.

The difference of course, today , is that one can't just duck down to the nearest station to cram up on such operations.

This is all fresh in my mind as I have an appointment to continue taking down some of the oral histories of the people that worked freight in Claremorris after Christmas.

I do think that our various clubs should be in the vanguard of this type of operation/layout simply because they have potentially access to the requisite bodies , but again that's got nothing to do with exhibitions.

Dave

I've been mulling this over for a bit. If I had an exhibition layout, let's say 16' long 2' wide, a perfect replica of say Askeaton, where would I start with the operational side of things?

I'd have scale speed for arrivals. But I'm hardly going to have the train stopped for 5 minutes waiting for yer man with the flag?

I know sod all about shunting rules, and I know how to make semaphore signals, but haven't a baldy about placement or operation.I'd sooner eat an operating manual than read it.

So David, what do you, Andy,Ed, or the many exhibitors think is the happy medium? Is there one? Keep the audience or the operator happy?

I am no exibitor,never have been and have never been a member of any railway club.I consider myself as a railway modeller,but at exhibitions I am basically Joe public. I can stand and watch small shunting operations for ages,appreciating all that it involves,but I equally enjoy seeing an express belting round a layout.In layman' terms,I generally have time to appreciate the former,while having to fight my way to view the latter. I think nowadays exibitors are interacting more with their audience compared to years ago,as has been pointed out,without them the show would not go on. In relation to the original topic,it is great that some modellers strive to make every aspect of the model prototypical,but somewhere along the line,a compromise will always have to be made

I am no exibitor' date='never have been and have never been a member of any railway club.I consider myself as a railway modeller,but at exhibitions I am basically Joe public. I can stand and watch small shunting operations for ages,appreciating all that it involves,but I equally enjoy seeing an express belting round a layout.In layman' terms,I generally have time to appreciate the former,while having to fight my way to view the latter. I think nowadays exibitors are interacting more with their audience compared to years ago,as has been pointed out,without them the show would not go on. In relation to the original topic,it is great that some modellers strive to make every aspect of the model prototypical,but somewhere along the line,a compromise will always have to be made[/quote']

Well said and agree with you Andy.

A few weeks ago while running the pick up goods train on my South Waterford line it occurred to me that this was the reason I built the railway. Sure the passenger trains are nice, as is the Bell ferry train. The manganese and oil train will be great when it gets built as will the dolomite train which will use the promised Irish Railway Models ballast hoppers. (There are deposits of dolomite near Lombardstown on the Tralee line and shipping it to Ballinacourty was considered at one time. Had a line been built between Youghal and Dungarvan as I imagine the South Waterford line to be, this would have been a plausible route). All of these trains merely punctuate the passage of the pick up goods train in each direction which drop off and pick up wagons of tar beet fertilizer cement and general merchandise in each direction and are the most fun to run.

My interest in this type of operation stems from my teenage years in the seventies when I was most fortunate to have traveled on the Castleisland and Listowel goods trains and the beet specials to Lixnaw and Fenit. Along the way these trains did all sorts of interesting things which could be emulated on a model railway. The South Waterford line is the third model railway I have built, all of which were designed for prototypical operation. The first two were American outline based on fictitious lines in Pennsylvania but neither reach the scenic stage but were fully operational. A few things I learned along the way,a realistic model railway that is fun to operate does not necessarily require a lot of track. Following prototype track arrangements not only makes a layout look more convincing but also sets you up for realistic operation. Shunting puzzles get tiresome very quickly and also don't look right.

The current layout is a lot of fun to operate. Since I have no interest in running the layout in the dark and don't have enough tracks in the fiddle yards to run a 24 hour schedule the operating session covers daylight hours. During this period a pick up goods, a Bell Ferry train and one or two passenger trains (depending on my mood) are run in each direction. It is assumed that through goods trains run in each direction at night. The pick up goods trains are arranged by hand in the fiddle yards prior to each operating session with wagons arranged for reasonably convenient shunting at the stations, remember shunting puzzles get tedious. A hand written "switch list" is written up telling what wagons are to be dropped off and picked up. Not every wagon at each station is picked up during an operating session. This would not happen on the prototype but some wagons must be moved in the course of shunting moves. The original plan was to have a beet special run from the Cork fiddle yard as far as Glen More and return but having the pick up goods handle the beet makes it much interesting to run and the fiddle yard track will now be used for the dolomite train instead. No clock is used but trains are run in a predetermined sequence. The whole sequence takes about an hour but often can extend over days or even weeks making one or two moves as the mood strikes me. With two operators one runs the east bound goods while the second runs all other trains around it. The roles are then reversed with the second operator running the west bound goods and the other operator running the other trains around it. No signals are in place yet but hopefully one day they will be and one or two signalmen will control all train movements during a full operating session. For now though, the layout is a lot of fun to operate.

Edited by patrick

Little puzzle about what went on-on the railways not so long ago.

February or March evening 1996 nothing better to do so checked out activity at Longford Station.

1.Longford commuter train recently arrived from Connolly 071 + 3-4 Cravens & van.

2. Coaches must be stabled clear of the main line for the Up & Down evening Sligo trains.

3. Loco is required to work the Longford Liner back to the North Wall.

4. Molasses tank wagons remain in yard.

Task

1.Stable coaches clear of main line.

2.Couple on to Liner and position train in the loop for departure to Dublin with the least number of moves.

Longford puzzle.jpg

....Task

1.Stable coaches clear of main line.

2.Couple on to Liner and position train in the loop for departure to Dublin with the least number of moves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21870[/ATTACH]

Are we to assume that the loop is not long enough to hold both commuter and liner, and that the molasses must not be touched?

1. Draw commuter train forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

2. Set back train into loop. Uncouple.

3. Run forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

4. Set back into liner road and couple to liner.

5. Draw forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

6. Set liner back into main line. Uncouple.

7. Run forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

8. Set back into loop, couple to commuter.

9. Draw forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

10. Set commuter back into liner road vacated in 4/5 above. Uncouple.

11. Run forward towards Dromod, clear of points.

12. Set back and run through loop towards Edgeworthstown, clear of points.

13. Set back onto main. Couple to liner.

14. Draw liner forward towards Edgeworthstown, clear of points.

15. Set liner back into loop.

End.

I'm sure the whole thing could be done in fewer moves if there were enough space on the cem&fert line.....