after the A

Rate this topic

mphoey

I wonder when the A is complete and available what will the boys do next their uk site has done amazing things and I would love to see them do a similar set here as a push pull set be it the mk3 mk4 or Dietrich sets .I cant imagine it would be an easy choice and all 3 would be favoured by most

11 minutes ago, mphoey said:

I wonder when the A is complete and available what will the boys do next their uk site has done amazing things and I would love to see them do a similar set here as a push pull set be it the mk3 mk4 or Dietrich sets .I cant imagine it would be an easy choice and all 3 would be favoured by most

Why not all 3? haha

In all seriousness, we have a good few projects underway for IRM that we have not announced yet, and a good idea of what we will make for a number of years to come. We will bring out a lot of models and we will be around for a long time! 

We have also a lot of models announced that we have yet to deliver of course, so until we land some of them we wont be announcing much else. Then there's the re-runs of ballasts, gypsums, blue taras etc etc and Paddy's 121 too. So, lots to consider.

Patience is what it's all about! And the more we sell, the more we can make of course. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4

just waiting to see your first carriage with what you have done with freight and locos I cant even think of the detail on a carriage. you have also done line side items like links and buffers all we need now are proper Irish station staff and crew and the likes of Gardaí etc. as they are essential

• Like 1

If Jon meant those fine British products (What am I saying? - I hated them in the 1960s!) with bodies by Park Royal, then you're dead right. The intermediates of my AEC and BUT sets spend time being pulled by blue 4-4-0s!

Or did he mean having done an A Class, an E Class, followed by a C Class was the way to go.............

Then you could have verbal fisticuffs over whether the E should be with or without tent.

And the digitally controlled option to derail at 40mph?

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

All of the above, Leslie!

Serious point: it is simply not possible to accurately model the 1950-70s period without several staples. Cravens, A & 141 classes, 42ft flats, H vans and corrugated opens, and AEC railcars.

Thanks to Messrs. Murphy & IRM we now have all of these bar the AEC.

As a reminder to perhaps some of us here who have had fewer birthdays than I, the AEC cars were as integral as an 80 class in a north-based 1970/90s layout.

CIE and the GNR has large numbers of them, initially used on the sort of duties ICRs have today, but also commuter traffic.

The GNR ones would be divided between CIE and the UTA, later NIR.

They were everywhere on the present system (except the NCC, where visits were extremely few). But they also got to Clones and Enniskillen, the Derry Road, Wisht Caaark boy,  and Tralee - Limerick - Sligo.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4

A C/B201 Class appears to be the most significant gap for a high quality rtr  diesel loco within the late 50-late 80s time frame. A reasonably large class by Irish Standards a must for branch line and pilot duties in their original form, the re-engined locos were initially used on main line passenger and freight duties before taking over Dublin Suburban duties in the early 70s, but also appear to have been extensively used on Drogheda-Dublin bulk and bagged cement trains (Saturday afternoon spent working/trainspotting near Howth Junction in late 70s.

The AEC railcar/CIE push pull set is an essential for the 50-70s period on CIE & the Great Northern, intermediate vehicles would be a challenge with CIE & GNR using different stock. A 4 car set with  open 3rd and Buffet car in GNR Blue and Cream livery would be eye watering or a CIE set in the original light green. The main challenge would be designing accurate models of coaches as apart from the Buffet Cars most suitable GNR & CIE coaching stock has been scrapped, Park Royals and Laminates appeared several years after the CIE railcars entered service.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, leslie10646 said:

The intermediates of my AEC and BUT sets spend time being pulled by blue 4-4-0s!

Or did he mean having done an A Class, an E Class, followed by a C Class was the way to go.............

I sort of knew someone was going to say that, Leslie, either way would be fine I suppose. But yes, the intermediates would have a lot of uses being hauled by anything before the end of CIE steam and could be produced as separate items I would hope Lots of livery options here although not as much as the A class. The railcars also became part of the push/pull sets (in this case you'd not need a powered loco at the other end) and as regular demotorised carriages in BnT 

On 9/3/2019 at 6:59 PM, Mayner said:

A C/B201 Class appears to be the most significant gap for a high quality rtr  diesel loco within the late 50-late 80s time frame. A reasonably large class by Irish Standards a must for branch line and pilot duties in their original form, the re-engined locos were initially used on main line passenger and freight duties before taking over Dublin Suburban duties in the early 70s, but also appear to have been extensively used on Drogheda-Dublin bulk and bagged cement trains (Saturday afternoon spent working/trainspotting near Howth Junction in late 70s.

The AEC railcar/CIE push pull set is an essential for the 50-70s period on CIE & the Great Northern, intermediate vehicles would be a challenge with CIE & GNR using different stock. A 4 car set with  open 3rd and Buffet car in GNR Blue and Cream livery would be eye watering or a CIE set in the original light green. The main challenge would be designing accurate models of coaches as apart from the Buffet Cars most suitable GNR & CIE coaching stock has been scrapped, Park Royals and Laminates appeared several years after the CIE railcars entered service.

I had the same thoughts as you with the B & C except the the B ran in far smaller numbers and the C is similar in many ways to the A that at  little variety would probably be preferable in my view. I'd love to see that CIE set and with extra laminate coaches. IRM has done a fantastic job of producing models which are running or preserved but they seem to have a good eye for scaling photographs which are fairly plentiful for these options. If you look at the British outline, particularly steam, I'm not sure how many preserved examples remain of the plethora of coaches and engines produced by larger manufacturers (no offense to IRM for the comparison)   

18 hours ago, DiveController said:

I sort of knew someone was going to say that, Leslie, either way would be fine I suppose. But yes, the intermediates would have a lot of uses being hauled by anything before the end of CIE steam and could be produced as separate items I would hope Lots of livery options here although not as much as the A class. The railcars also became part of the push/pull sets (in this case you'd not need a powered loco at the other end) and as regular demotorised carriages in BnT 

I had the same thoughts as you with the B & C except the the B ran in far smaller numbers and the C is similar in many ways to the A that at  little variety would probably be preferable in my view. I'd love to see that CIE set and with extra laminate coaches. IRM has done a fantastic job of producing models which are running or preserved but they seem to have a good eye for scaling photographs which are fairly plentiful for these options. If you look at the British outline, particularly steam, I'm not sure how many preserved examples remain of the plethora of coaches and engines produced by larger manufacturers (no offense to IRM for the comparison)   

an aec set would be great and could even be brought in with the c class as they ran in suburban life later on

Quite a few livery options for AEC railcars....

1. GNR navy & cream

2. CIE light green (post 1955)

3. CIE dark green (with option of top-of-front-roof stripes, as in one example in Wisht Caaark)

4. Black’n’tan 

5. Short-lived UTA plain green

6. UTA green with front wasp stripes

7. UTA riviera blue & thin cream window band

8. As above with wide cream band 

(Both the blue & cream options were very short-lived and only applied to some vehicles)

9. NIR maroon & light grey.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Another vote for a C class loco and an AEC railcar set. I would certainly buy these with a view to fast-tracking a future 'Ballyglunin 1965x1975' micro layout. So a black and tan or all black loco and a green flying snail AEC set. Plenty of fading flying snails on the wagons in any case and then maybe a bredin, a laminate, a park royal... mmmm

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1

The little Guinness trains that used to run through the cobble streets to the various parts of the Saint James's Gate complex. Happy memories, I can still get that smell as I stood watching them.  Need to increase the size of the layout to get a brewery complex in, complete with internal rail system!

2 hours ago, NIR said:

Another vote for a C class loco and an AEC railcar set. I would certainly buy these with a view to fast-tracking a future 'Ballyglunin circa 1970' layout. So a black and tan loco and (hoping against hope really!) a green flying snail AEC set. Plenty of faded flying snails on the wagons in any case and then maybe a bredin, a laminate and a park royal... mmmm

Last year at the Raheny show, I overheard Richie talking to a customer beside me. He said that prior to the A launching, he was working under the impression that the C class was to be IRM's first loco with the A coming later on. Don't know how much tongue in cheek was ment there. 

From that, I'd take away that work on the C class is alot closer than one may think.....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Railer said:

Last year at the Raheny show, I overheard Richie talking to a customer beside me. He said that prior to the A launching, he was working under the impression that the C class was to be IRM's first loco with the A coming later on. Don't know how much tongue in cheek was ment there. 

From that, I'd take away that work on the C class is alot closer than one may think.....

Plans change. We will see where we are after the A. :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spudfan said:

The little Guinness trains that used to run through the cobble streets to the various parts of the Saint James's Gate complex. Happy memories, I can still get that smell as I stood watching them.  Need to increase the size of the layout to get a brewery complex in, complete with internal rail system!

I remember seeing a model of this at the RDS Horse Show maybe 50 years ago.  Anyone else remember that and know where the model is now?

DART8118

45 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Plans change. We will see where we are after the A. :) 

I think that the A Class is the right way to go. It was the most numerous locomotive on the network (CIE/IR) and a lot of people will remember them. It will also help those of us who had to suffer the indemnity of operating LIMA [BR] class 33s and mark I coaches to get those dark days out of our collective memories. I don't want to mention the Hymeks, they were worse.

• Like 3

From a point of view across the stream I would suggest the SL&NCR ' B' railcar at Downpatrick, I do appreciate the fact that your guys dieselised a long time before we did in the UK, however A RTR CIE steam loco would go down well that could be done to 21mm gauge, something like one of the Queens?

I did ask if those RTR steam locos by OO Works could be fitted with a 21mm gauge chassis, but I was told they could not, so I am back to brass kits.

That said I do have a short list of OO gauge steam locos I would love to see:-

Any of the former SL&NCR 0-6-4T’s

GSR                      K2 2-6-0

BCDR                   Baltic Tank 4-6-4T

GNR                     T2 4-4-2T

NCC                      U2 4-4-0 Tender

Regards

Colin R

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...