Peculiar CIE Rolling Stock

Rate this topic

The 6 wheeler is an ex-GNR Diagram 47 Ballast Wagon.

The third wagon in the trains looks like an ex-LMS-NCC van possibly returning empty from Navan or even Kingscourt to Northern Ireland.

The GNR & SLNCR both had 6 wheel ballast wagons.

The GNR appears to have had two varieties.

1. A 2 door wagon with sloping ends.

2. A dropside version possibly with removable ends and sides.

I saw one of the latter in Kingscourt in 75/76 the wagon had lost its sides and ends may have been used for carrying sleepers or rails.

575877665_GNR6WBallast2Door12022020.thumb.jpg.c6330d8772aaf223954c85ee1cb0e727.jpg

955239935_GNR6WBallastDropside12022020.thumb.jpg.75344f3de1c8add80fd7fe5bab4b0d00.jpg

The Ulster Transport Museum have the UTA & GNR carriage and wagon diagram books

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:49 PM, DiveController said:

Well seven wagons but at least 4 are ventilated cover H vans, another covered that I can't make out properly, the corrugated open (beet) wagon and the one that is perplexing me

(but yes it would be noice to have some rtr purchase options)

The third van behind the loco is a quite old fitted GNR van. I think, but i am not sure, that the GNR used these for bread traffic at one time.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:42 PM, Noel said:

7 iconic wagons in that train and no RTR Irish versions on the market :) 

Come off it, Noel, it's not as if my kits of the Bulleid corrugated open, or the H van  are that difficult to build!

See:

http://www.provincialwagons.com/cie-wagons/

and the price remains the same, even though some eejit thinks the Pound is worth 5% more than when I set the price!

Leslie (aka Provincial Wagons)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I got to agree with Leslie here Noel. I greatly admire your skill modelling CIE passenger stock, you should have no problem achieving incredible results with Leslie's kits. It is truly amazing what has become available to Irish modelers in the last few years but IRM and Paddy Murphy can't be expected to produce everything for what is after all a very small, but thankfully growing market. Duplicating an already good an easily assembled kit can only drive small manufacturers out of the market which is detrimental to all of us. I for one don't want to see this forum dominated by cookie cutter layouts all populated by the same high quality off the shelf models. 

Edited by patrick
Damm spell check!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dhu Varren said:

I would agree with Mayner. The third vehicle is most likely an ex LMSNCC van. It has the classic NCC outside W irons.  

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Yes: think a drawing appeared in a recent New Irish Lines 

I can't see the outside W"'s.... if so, however, one wonders what it was doing further south than Portadown, given that the UTA stopped goods traffic in 1965? The locomotive has the higher tan sides, so the photo can't have been taken before about 1963. In 1964 / 5, I saw the goods trains passing through Lisburn every day, and they were almost, if not literally, completely ex-GN or CIE (including GSW vans) stock at that time.

21 hours ago, Mayner said:

The 6 wheeler is an ex-GNR Diagram 47 Ballast Wagon.

575877665_GNR6WBallast2Door12022020.thumb.jpg.c6330d8772aaf223954c85ee1cb0e727.jpg

Looks like something in Parting Shot pages 83 and 84. Portadown 1968, spoked wheels, wooden solebar/headstock, grey... but dropside like the second drawing. Number 8067.

Edited by NIR

13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I can't see the outside W"'s.... if so, however, one wonders what it was doing further south than Portadown, given that the UTA stopped goods traffic in 1965? The locomotive has the higher tan sides, so the photo can't have been taken before about 1963. In 1964 / 5, I saw the goods trains passing through Lisburn every day, and they were almost, if not literally, completely ex-GN or CIE (including GSW vans) stock at that time.

The photo is dated May 63 before the UTA ended goods traffic, Beauparc  seems to have recently closed as a block post signal arms removed but signal post and pointwork still in place. https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5736789174/in/album-72157626756740602/ 

There are a number of photos of ex-NCC vans on the GNR system both before and following the UTA takeover. Presumably NCC stock would have been mainly used for traffic from the ex NCC lines onto the GNR and returned empty before the takeover while GNR & CIE wagons were more likely to have been used for interchange traffic between the GNR & CIE. 

Interestingly there is a photo a SLNCR Enniskillen-Sligo goods mainly made up of GNR & CIE vans, with a cut of relatively new looking CIE H vans marshaled behind the GNR stock towards the rear of the train. Its likely that several of the GNR vans were being used to transport bagged cement from Drogheda to Sligo (the GNR & SLNCR competed with CIE for Dublin-Sligo freight traffic & Drogheda-Sligo bagged cement) the H vans are likely to be returning to the CIE system over the SLNCR rather than via Dublin to maximise CIEs  share of the line haul revenue particularly if the wagons were consigned to a destination in the South West.

The NCC vans make a nice contrast to CIE & GNR stock and relatively simple to build from plasticard.  "Nelson" produced a nice model of an NCC van complete with outside axleguards on a Dapol wagon chassis https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/2382-nelsons-workbench/page/4/

• Like 1

Yes, CIE wagons, including but not confined to "H" types, were indeed regulars on the SLNCR. I saw a photo somewhere with a goods coming into EKN with as many CIE wagons as (combined) GN & SLNC types.

For those modelling the SLNCR, that allows probably a greater variety of goods stock than anywhere else!

The wagon in the photo above, if NCC, is certainly a very unusual and interesting visitor.

• Like 1

Just received another edition of my favourite Irish railway book - the one I’d take to a desert island- off eBay. It includes my favourite Irish railway pic - by JJ Smith. But I’d never noticed the car on the flat wagon before.....just ahead of the bogie brake being worked back to EKN for the 7:20 ....

ED477BBE-5CA6-4459-8CFD-FB1623AF16F2.jpeg

F398447E-7D6E-400C-A1C7-084BE9352D01.jpeg

5124DCC6-94AF-48EA-AD29-9BBD4FDE01A3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...