To respray or not to respray - Keep Silver/Black or Freight Grey?

Rate this topic

Noel

To respray or not to respray?  I have this 071 a number of years in the hideous but short lived black and silver IE livery. I am considering respraying it in the newer freight grey livery like 078 in the lower photo. What do folks think, should I keep it as it is as an oddity or respray it into current freight grey livery which I rather like? There is another option which is to weather this ugly livery which may make the loco look more attractive. I have enough rust colours! :) 

IMG_5738.jpg

078 in grey livery

DSC_7972.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

I quite like the silver cab livery but it's a bit late for my chosen era so I don't have any of them. I would point out that whilst it may be "straightforward" (for someone with Noel's skills) to go grey, it would be much more difficult to revert the loco to the silver and black livery to the same standard as the factory finish. 

I'd weather it. Looks pretty cool weathered in those pics.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Personally, I think the silver, black and yellow was unattractive, but the grey isn’t the brightest either!

I think for those locos - tippex livery is the nicest. But it’s your loco! 😀

That's decided it then, Black'n'Tan it is! Thanks Jonathan 🤣

43 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Weather it like this one from Flying Scotsman of this parish

957207092_2013-06-2415_33_46.thumb.jpg.543aab3edc79325bcddb8c3c0b175cd3.jpg

OMG - Trying to replicate the work of St Anthony could be a fish plate too far.  Its a few years back but I remember nearly falling off a chair when I first saw this loco done by A.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 4:03 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

And an open door halfway along the body!

That is an awesome photo!

Towards the end of this livery period, before they were taken in and given a decent BODYWORK makeover as well as the grey paint, some were in an awful state - either like this or rusted and filthy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Towards the end of this livery period, before they were taken in and given a decent BODYWORK makeover as well as the grey paint, some were in an awful state - either like this or rusted and filthy.

I have a hazy memory of somebody claiming that they hadn't much interest in 071's because they weren't shteam!

😆

• Funny 1

I was never a fan of the black & silver in reality Noel! That said, the livery in model form does grow on you and it is, after all, part of the livery history of the 071's. So on that basis I would keep it as it is in silver & black, and give it the weathering it deserves, which you are more than capable doing! Have a look at a video I posted on YouTube some time ago. From 3.55 on you'll get a good idea of the condition of the loco up close and who is winning the war on rust!! Looking forward to seeing the result! Eamonn

Edited by fishplate7
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, fishplate7 said:

I was never a fan of the black & silver in reality Noel! That said, the livery in model form does grow on you and it is, after all, part of the livery history of the 071's. So on that basis I would keep it as it is in silver & black, and give it the weathering it deserves, which you are more than capable doing! Have a look at a video I posted on YouTube some time ago. From 3.55 on you'll get a good idea of the condition of the loco up close and who is winning the war on rust!! Looking forward to seeing the result! Eamonn

As much as I like the Black and Silver, THAT FRONT FACE...reminds me of the Noddy toy trains with THAT SMILE...🚂

BTB