BREXIT NEW V A T ON EBay TO IRISH

Rate this topic

burnthebox

2 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Hi guys, only recently, very recently found out that EBay is charging us Irish, as a result of BREXIT,  V A T on ítems we’d be hoping to sell on there eBay site,!! Anyone heard anything different,!

It's something that was being introduced anyway so nothing to do with Brexit (other than Britain now happens to be outside the EU)

Edited by NIR

24 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

Hi there NIR, what was being introduced, by EBay..! or Gov..!
TIA

BTB

Hi, from 2021 European governments are making organisations like Ebay responsible for charging and collecting VAT on sales through their portals.

So an Irish seller will have UK VAT applied to any sales into the UK. I believe something similar already happens with sales into the USA, US sales tax gets applied whether you like it or not.

The Irish seller needs to do nothing. Ebay adds VAT to the selling price, the buyer pays the VAT to Ebay then Ebay pays the VAT to the appropriate government.

Edited by NIR

11 hours ago, NIR said:

Hi, from 2021 European governments are making organisations like Ebay responsible for charging and collecting VAT on sales through their portals.

So an Irish seller will have UK VAT applied to any sales into the UK. I believe something similar already happens with sales into the USA, US sales tax gets applied whether you like it or not.

The Irish seller needs to do nothing. Ebay adds VAT to the selling price, the buyer pays the VAT to Ebay then Ebay pays the VAT to the appropriate government.

So if Ebay gives the VAT to the UK Gov, then when the item hits Irish Customs, they'll be looking for the Irish VAT if the item is over €22, and duty on top of that if it is over €150

Skinner75 said:

“ So if Ebay gives the VAT to the UK Gov, then when the item hits Irish Customs, they'll be looking for the Irish VAT if the item is over €22, and duty on top of that if it is over €150 “

So if the item is sold off EBay to a buyer in UK, who then sends that item to Ireland, how does the Custom man know the Vat that’s to be paid...!!

BTB

7 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

So if the item is sold off EBay to a buyer in UK, who then sends that item to Ireland, how does the Custom man know the Vat that’s to be paid...!!

The old fashioned way, the value will be stated on the package. If not they will guess a value and charge VAT on that.

• Like 1

I just sold an item to the UK and the way eBay shows it is a bit confusing, as they include the VAT, which is removed by PayPal. If you are an Irish seller that is sending an item to the UK you don't need to worry about it. If you are buying from the UK you will pay VAT.

I am however unclear how to declare that the VAT has been paid.

Untitled.png.3e0635d5d3c91d0f6339407c2b17e3ce.png

4 minutes ago, RobertRoche said:

I just sold an item to the UK and the way eBay shows it is a bit confusing, as they include the VAT, which is removed by PayPal. If you are an Irish seller that is sending an item to the UK you don't need to worry about it. If you are buying from the UK you will pay VAT.

I am however unclear how to declare that the VAT has been paid.

Untitled.png.3e0635d5d3c91d0f6339407c2b17e3ce.png

You'll need to ensure the parcel, going into the UK, has a valid customs paperwork / invoice on the outside, showing the VAT paid and full details.

Me neither. In summary, many eBay UK sellers simply don't and never did offer shipping outside the UK. I feel that the eBay GSP is largely responsible for this.

Some sellers would ship to Ireland if asked nicely but for those that wouldn't, parcel motel type redirection services were fantastic. I used parcelwizard. It was a very reasonable €3.75 per redirected item. They've left the market because of Brexit.

Only An Post are still offering such a service currently, at almost twice the price. And who knows how well it's working. I reckon a lot of people are getting nasty surprises where used eBay items arrive without so much as a declared price and customs are estimating values.

6 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

I have pretty much just stopped buying stuff from UK sellers/companies now. If I can't get it from an EU country, then I question myself 'how badly do I need/want it?'

Ditto I've also stopped using UK. I've discovered a few german retailers who can supply all the scenic and electronic bits I may need in the future. I've discovered the prices are better than UK especially for electronics. The key is to find model retailers who have good postage rates to Ireland, some do, some don't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Ditto I've also stopped using UK. I've discovered a few german retailers who can supply all the scenic and electronic bits I may need in the future. I've discovered the prices are better than UK especially for electronics. The key is to find model retailers who have good postage rates to Ireland, some do, some don't.

Noel

can you supply the german retailers you use?

regards

warb

On 17/1/2021 at 2:08 PM, BosKonay said:

Then you’ll pay UK Vat on the original purchase then Irish Vat on import. 

Unless the Sender knows the Final Dest is outside GB. Ie your billing address and takes the VAT of the initial Cost. 

This is a right balls up especially for buying n Selling UK outline Etc, should of went Continental outline  a year ago....I must admit I did not know or think the VAT was Strictly gonna be locked in. The Tiny people Get Squeezed to hell but the Corps get away with Murder.  Even the price of some Etched Headcodes is gonna be pricey or problematic to get in now.

Feel like throwing in the towel now TBH on the GB stuff but too late now.

Quite a lot of Model Shops outside of the UK and decided it is not worthwhile supply the UK anymore

This is were the Local Models shops in Ireland come into their own, Lets hope the EU Suppliers like Noch, Revell etc now don't have this awful model of UK DC's anymore as a lot of Kits etc are supplier through UK hubs.

6 minutes ago, warb said:

Noel

regards

warb

There a couple in Hamburg, Get me a ticket and an Empty suitcase and I do a trip for ya and collect all ye bits! :)

"Item Location" may not always be trustworthy on eBay, either. I recently bought a couple of Dremel chucks that they wouldn't send to anywhere outside GB and, being under house arrest 4.9km from Ballybrophy*, I got the seller to send them to a friend on the Big Island, as I'm in no real rush.

I'll admit that I was suspicious that the stated location being Manchester just might have been untrue, but at that time, the £15 allowance still applied, so, even if my suspicions were correct, my agent would not be hit for an extra payment.

When they arrived, they most certainly hadn't been posted in Manchester - I haven't actually seen the packaging, but, from the description it seems almost certain to be Hong Kong or mainland China.

This 'risk' probably applies more to tools and materials than actual models, but it's worth bearing in mind.

* I will do an inspection at some point.

2 hours ago, warb said:

Noel

regards

warb

Two that come to mind are Kieskemper and Modelbahnshop-lippe. Excellent service from both and the latter has good shipping rates to Ireland €3.90 UPS my last few orders. It would be great if MM appointed a stockist in Germany.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Noel said:

Two that come to mind are Kieskemper and Modelbahnshop-lippe. Excellent service from both and the latter has good shipping rates to Ireland €3.90 UPS my last few orders. It would be great if MM appointed a stockist in Germany.

Or just buy from the several MM stockists in Ireland??

• 5 weeks later...

Well The Bro in Law ordered Firesticks from Amazon through addresspal, Vat levied on both sides so ended up being 20% odd extra cost than buying in here from an Irish retailer say.

Beware if using Addresspal. It is really a defunct service now as the UK Vat charge cannot be backed out as the seller thinks it is a UK transaction so it really pointless.

• Like 1

Why the hell would anyone do that. Two lots of VAT are inevitable if you get something delivered in the UK and then get it redelivered to Ireland. It's nuts.

Addresspal and the like were just dodges to make a piddling few quid on delivery charges. There was never a real business case for it.

Edited by NIR

11 minutes ago, NIR said:

Why the hell would anyone do that. Two lots of VAT are inevitable if you get something delivered in the UK and then get it redelivered to Ireland. It's nuts.

"Nuts" is right. My daughter is in the IT business and had some computery gubbins delivered lately from Britain. €120 to be paid to the post office before delivery...... she took it up with the sender, who was completely unaware of it - having understood that whatever THEY had paid at THEIR end was the lot............the deal was that it was to be delivered fully paid.

33 minutes ago, NIR said:

Addresspal and the like were just dodges to make a piddling few quid on delivery charges. There was never a real business case for it.

Address pal as fab for getting paints, solvent and cottage uk suppliers who didn’t ship to non uk customers (you know the type SAE for a paper catalog, never heard of PayPal, don’t do credit cards and have adenoid trouble).

just received two eBay purchases this week via AddressPal and no problems. Delivered to my door so no Covid expeditions to the local post office either.

Exactly. Addresspal is much more about being able to order a particular item at all rather than for the cheaper shipping.

Certainly for me that was mostly the use case (in my case Parcelwizard). Now it's just way dearer as the delivery charge itself is almost twice the price and double vat. 

In my case the items then need to be consolidated by the mother and shipped to me in Germany.

I haven't used a redirect service yet since brexit but I suspect I will for that niche item.