BREXIT NEW V A T ON EBay TO IRISH

Rate this topic

burnthebox

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

What is the limit, and how is it controlled?

Is there one limit for all non-EU countries combined, or a limit for each one individually?

As in, is the limit X from China, Y from the US, Z from the UK, or a limit on the total of X, Y and Z?

Liar!

Vaccines are a preventative measure. That horse has long bolted.

ALL HERE:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/customs-information-for-travelling-and-duty-free-allowances/travelling-from-outside-the-eu/how-to-calculate-what-you-owe.aspx

image.png.1d683a05b4f37154e172ce79ad3ecdbf.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 27/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

BrExit, whether one is in favour of it, against it or on the fence, is offering an opportunity in the face of crisis for Irish retailers to expand their online presence massively.

Correct, but 100 years on and it's still the Brits fault. Let's face it, all the bright people left long ago.

1 minute ago, NIR said:

Correct, but 100 years on and it's still the Brits fault. Let's face it, all the bright people left long ago.

I don't want to get into a debate on anything too divisive, but I'm pretty sure that nobody here on the forum was around 100 years ago.

I mean, maybe @jhb171achill was, counting Tin Vans, but the rest of us weren't.

We have a nice little forum here and we all help each other out.

I'd hate to lose that over whose fault a problem from hundreds of years ago is, even though the impact is still felt today by many.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

On 27/02/2021 at 9:04 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Agreed on the Marks website. It looks like something that a scammer would have built twenty years ago, and it's very diffiicult to spend money with them as a result.

Clunky awful looking and awful to use site.

Heaps of items out of stock too. As this country's main hobby shop they should really up their game, all the more at this time.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Clunky awful looking and awful to use site.

Heaps of items out of stock too. As this country's main hobby shop they should really up their game, all the more at this time.

Would be nice if they could adopt something on the lines of the Hatton's site with live stock updates.  I recently ordered some items from Marks via their website and it said items where in stock,  few days later got phone call to say two items where not available and they were unavailable at Hornby, but having looked on the Hornby site they were available to order direct.  Incidentally I have just received one or the items that I could not get at Marks from Hatton's for only £2.80 postage. We are kept being told to buy 'local' but its not easy.

• Like 4

So yeah my Hattons parcel that was supposed to arrive delivered duty paid arrived with no DDP markings whatsoever. Of course the German customs slapped VAT on top of it again (and DHL added their handling charge of course). I'll be looking for EU stockists for any "commodity" stuff in future. IRM: Please consider a trunk service for the smaller items so we can throw stuff into a box until reaching the minimum order quantities for free/reduced price shipping. I would definitely order more "small stuff" if such a service existed 🙂 I appreciate there may be issues surrounding ownership/insurance that aren't immediately obvious to us as customers but maybe there's a solution.

• Like 2

On 27/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, Georgeconna said:

Well The Bro in Law ordered Firesticks from Amazon through addresspal, Vat levied on both sides so ended up being 20% odd extra cost than buying in here from an Irish retailer say.

Beware if using Addresspal. It is really a defunct service now as the UK Vat charge cannot be backed out as the seller thinks it is a UK transaction so it really pointless.

Could he not have ordered from Amazon.de? €60 there with free shipping, versus £50 from the UK site

https://www.amazon.de/fire-tv-stick-4k-ultra-hd-mit-alexa-sprachfernbedienung/dp/B07PW9VBK5/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=C0EAU5FV8T2W&dchild=1&keywords=amazon+fire+stick+tv+4k&qid=1614606707&sprefix=amazon+%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1

• Like 2

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but books and magazines are still Vat exempt so there should be no extra charges beyond postage costs whether importing or exporting between UK and Ireland. Having said that there still seems to be long postal delays, it took 12 days for the GS&WR Loco book to make its way via An Post and Parcelforce from Dublin to Haltwhistle whereas I ordered a new book on the Reseau Breton in France which was ordered on the Thursday from France and arrived the following Tuesday via La Poste and Royal Mail.

My main problem is the second batch of Casserley Irish Negs I won in the Auction last December which ultimately I wish to transfer to the IRRS for their Archive. Slides and negatives are subject to VAT.

I didn't realise this some years ago when a friend and I purchased some 1950's UK original slides from a photographer/seller in Canada and we were presented with a £300 demand for VAT before Customs would release them.

Edited by Irishswissernie

9 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but books and magazines are still Vat exempt so there should be no extra charges beyond postage costs whether importing or exporting between UK and Ireland. Having said that there still seems to be long postal delays, it took 12 days for the GS&WR Loco book to make its way via An Post and Parcelforce from Dublin to Haltwhistle whereas I ordered a new book on the Reseau Breton in France which was ordered on the Thursday from France and arrived the following Tuesday via La Poste and Royal Mail.

My main problem is the second batch of Casserley Irish Negs I won in the Auction last December which ultimately I wish to transfer to the IRRS for their Archive. Slides and negatives are subject to VAT.

I didn't realise this some years ago when a friend and I purchased some 1950's UK original slides from a seller in Canada and we were presented with a £300 demand for VAT before Customs would release them.

i wonder could we not claim the slides negs were produced in ireland as they are usually of irish items

It's not as simple as that unfortunately. Union goods lose their union status after a fairly short time period and you have to be able to prove that they were always going to be re-imported into the EU anyway. Stuff that's been outside the EU for decades you can forget about claiming as union goods. I checked this avenue out thinking the same thing.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

free/reduced price shipping. I would definitely order more "small stuff" if such a service existed 🙂 I appreciate there may be issues surrounding ownership/insurance that aren't immediately obvious to us as customers but maybe there's a solution.

Our shipping is already flat rate, based on spend, so the more you buy, the cheaper relatively it gets :)

Yeah I very much appreciate the flat rate shipping which kicks in more or less straight away if I buy "railway stuff" but for the new stuff you lads have added (Oxford diecast especially) I'd love to be able to throw this or that little item into a trunk until I hit the hundred quid before pulling the trigger on shipping the lot. Anyway it's just a thought. I understand if it's not feasible for whatever reason also 🙂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Oh come on. Really?

Yep it happened to me a few months back too!

6 hours ago, skinner75 said:

Errrr, you don't know the Bro in Law!!. I dont think he thought about it too long, Must buy, must buy, must buy now!! Press.

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

So yeah my Hattons parcel that was supposed to arrive delivered duty paid arrived with no DDP markings whatsoever. Of course the German customs slapped VAT on top of it again (and DHL added their handling charge of course). I'll be looking for EU stockists for any "commodity" stuff in future. IRM: Please consider a trunk service for the smaller items so we can throw stuff into a box until reaching the minimum order quantities for free/reduced price shipping. I would definitely order more "small stuff" if such a service existed 🙂 I appreciate there may be issues surrounding ownership/insurance that aren't immediately obvious to us as customers but maybe there's a solution.

Get onto Hattons and get them to take the VAT they charged you off the bill, Send em a copy that the German Zoll lads gave you as proof.

Sod that for a game of soldiers..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Yeah in fairness they responded there and said the charges would be refunded to my card. 

They say they are waiting for Royal Mail to enable the DDP service.

That sounds a likely explanation, although there is a lot of pressure for non-resident retailers to export DDP, Customs Services are set up to levy duty and VAT at the point of entry and do not appear to be set up to process DDP shipments unless they arrive through the 'big boys" like E-Bay GSS or Amazon.

I received a number of high value items ($400+) duty and tax paid from the States using the E-Bay Global Shipping Services interestingly there was no customs declaration or tax invoice on the parcels and they did not appear to have been stopped by Customs. 

• Like 2

I started buying from German retailers two years ago in preparation for anticipated possible brexit issues and so far have found it an excellent if not better source than UK outlets. Same for amazon.de who's postage rates  to Ireland has improved significantly over the past two years. Happy Days. 

Edited by Noel
lexdysia bad smelling
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

In this day and age to advertise something as in stock and find out afterwards it isn't. Unacceptable.

Yes but in fairness it seems to happen more frequently than one might hope with some of the smaller online sites. I've had this occur in the past even with Peters Spares, Osbourne Models, Gaugemaster, Element Games, etc. Its annoying but not the end of the world.

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Yes but in fairness it seems to happen more frequently than one might hope with some of the smaller online sites. I've had this occur in the past even with Peters Spares, Osbourne Models, Gaugemaster, Element Games, etc. Its annoying but not the end of the world.

In fairness MM aren't an operation run by plug tobacco pipe smoking old fellows not au fait with the concept of online sales. Good way to lose custom.

• Like 1