New models?

Rate this topic

217 RIVER FLESK

Can't help but wondering if MM should be doing a 22K next - at least then any kid could wonder in & buy something that he'd seen that week.

It would cost a fortune to produce a kid just wandering just would not have the cash required to buy one.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you would have open a retail shop and then open an account with Mr Murphy ,order at least 500 models and pay for the artwork , printing re-tooling and then pay the total cost due up front before manufacturing would take place not easy to do me thinks.

It will be interesting to see which direction the hobby in Ireland will take when PM retires. It will happen, and probably sooner rather than later. Heljan do seem to be looking at the more obscure prototypes and producing in smaller numbers. Their more recent form has been hit and miss, although their 4mm Hymek model is a beauty and is still held in huge regard by UK modellers. Anyone seen as a new player coming into the market will surely have to have cash up front as I can't see many Chinese companies offering credit to an unknown.

Rich,

A trip to Hong Kong with a deposit of $20k up front for the initial CAD work and the deeds to your house as security :).

It will be interesting to see how Arran gets on with comissioning a container flat, business with China is based very much on being prepared to work face to face with the manufacturers and their agents.

I think one of the main problems is that Far Eastern manufacture has raised unrealistic expectations about quality and price, locos seem to sell fairly well mainly because of demand from collectors who want every variation of each loco produced, for every wagon or coach sold.

The availability of decent rtr locos has shifted the focus from scratch & kit building and modification to rtr models which has opened up opportunities for batch builders of RTR stock like D&M with their 2600 DMUs & Enterprise stock.

20 years ago I some one told me professional model makers were producing limited run rtr railcars or coaches I would tell them to see a shrink.

The next few years should be interesting for rtr greater access to computer and 3d modelling and desk top manufacture and higher prices from the Far East could make local manufacture more economic.

It would cost a fortune to produce a kid just wandering just would not have the cash required to buy one.

Very true Waffles, but equally could any kid just wonder in & afford to buy a Hornby or Bachmann multiple unit?

But if the kid is going to pester their parents or grand parents for a train set, are they not more likely to pester for the train that they saw go passed the end of their garden last week or the one they took a ride on to Galway etc etc?

Cheers, Mike C

Very true Waffles, but equally could any kid just wonder in & afford to buy a Hornby or Bachmann multiple unit?

But if the kid is going to pester their parents or grand parents for a train set, are they not more likely to pester for the train that they saw go passed the end of their garden last week or the one they took a ride on to Galway etc etc?

Cheers, Mike C

Basic Thomas set by Hornby €89.00 basic Bachmann irish set €135.00, 3mk11s 071 , track and controller Approx. €320.00.

don't see how it could work.

in 1975 ho irish Lima set retailed at £12.00

A Sindy doll also retailed £12.00

A matchbox 75 range car was 45p

Parents find it hard to justify the cost of the Thomas set.

• 1 month later...

Cheers, Mike C

He might still get a Hornby industrial starter set at the end of the day and make do, to use the much maligned phrase 'in the current economic climate'

Basic Thomas set by Hornby €89.00 basic Bachmann irish set €135.00, 3mk11s 071 , track and controller Approx. €320.00.

don't see how it could work.

in 1975 ho irish Lima set retailed at £12.00

A Sindy doll also retailed £12.00

A matchbox 75 range car was 45p

A pound in 1975 is equivalent to €13 today in terms of average earnings.

So the Sindy or Lima Set would be c.€160 and the Matchbox (be still my beating heart!) would be close to €6

This also explains why you didn't get the Raleigh Chopper off Santa, as at £65, you'd get a motorbike for the equivalent cost!

I remember getting my Hornby Irish Freight in Dunnes stores in 1980 for Irl£20, equiv to c.€120 today

So really, no major change in terms of prices.

• 1 year later...

With the upcoming model show at the end of October and an earlier statement that 208,209,230 and 233 would be released in time for it, what's with the hush hush. The Murphy's site has stated that an update with photos of the new 201s would be released but the old Lima 201 is still there. They must be almost in the country at this stage if they are to clear customs in time. I can hardly wait and don't know what 201s to pick up first myself. Would like to get 2 at first but with speculation that they will be north of 2 bills it's going to be tough.

Its definetly possible but it would only work on lets say a bubble cement, were most will need multiple wagons for there use. I remember reading somewhere that the Irish oo guage market is 300 approx. With a break down of 65% in ireland, 35% rest of the world.

If we were to do it, it would have to be done right, not a copy of the MIR runs. Maybe a limited edition 071 to get us started and work from there. I know the n guage society in the UK do it

The only loco I can see that would be viable is the A class

Good call! I'm with RiverSuir on that one. The problem with getting people to pay up front is that they want to see what's on offer before committing funds or have a say in what the product is going to be. With a large group only a few really have decision making input making many more people feelling they signed on for what they hoped was going to be something else. I would like to see more RTR steam but I think the A classs would have much wider appeal to a group and I would go for it (at least before I buy som RTR kits)

Its definetly possible but it would only work on lets say a bubble cement, were most will need multiple wagons for there use. I remember reading somewhere that the Irish oo guage market is 300 approx. With a break down of 65% in ireland, 35% rest of the world.

If we were to do it, it would have to be done right, not a copy of the MIR runs. Maybe a limited edition 071 to get us started and work from there. I know the n guage society in the UK do it

The only loco I can see that would be viable is the A class

Good call! I'm with RiverSuir on that one. The problem with getting people to pay up front is that they want to see what's on offer before committing funds or have a say in what the product is going to be. With a large group only a few really have decision making input making many more people feelling they signed on for what they hoped was going to be something else. I would like to see more RTR steam but I think the A classs would have much wider appeal to a group and I would go for it (at least before I buy some RTR kits)

With the upcoming model show at the end of October and an earlier statement that 208,209,230 and 233 would be released in time for it, what's with the hush hush. The Murphy's site has stated that an update with photos of the new 201s would be released but the old Lima 201 is still there. They must be almost in the country at this stage if they are to clear customs in time. I can hardly wait and don't know what 201s to pick up first myself. Would like to get 2 at first but with speculation that they will be north of 2 bills it's going to be tough.

Although I am so grateful to Paddy Murphy for these great RTR models, it is disappointing how poorly their website is updated which is an important part of the business. More surprising given the attention to detail on the models themselves. Operating as Apple does is probably not the optimal business model in in this setting

Yes the website content is somewhat out of date, but I don't mind at all as long as his incredible model range remain available from the retail/web channel. The web site coverage by store and online retailers of his fabulous products are what is important. From what I understand it's a one man operation which is an awesome achievement to have produced such stunning and precision range of locos. I guess the website is really designed to serve dealers and retailers rather than consumers. I found the technical content useful. He keeps 'delivering the goods' so my mild frustration at the web site currency is not an issue for me personally. Some of the retailers have excellent MM content with detailed photos.

Looking forward to whatever new stock is 'coming down the line' in the future - forgive the pun! :)

Edited by Noel

Noel

A one man operation as you say is correct, punching way above his weight division methinks

At the upcoming 3 day MRSI show IN Raheny over this coming Bank Holiday Weekend 25 -27th he will be launching 4 new 201's

2 X NIR , 208 River Lagan, 209 River Foyle & 2 x Enterprise 203 River Bandon in original livery, 233 River Clare same as 203 but with full yellow face

He is flying in a pallet load for the show and the remainder is coming by sea and should be here a week or so later

Paddy himself usually has a display of all his MM stuff at the show and there may be some pre production Mk 2 Supertrain coaches on show as well

Check out the MRSI Website or Facebook page for a list of all attending the 3 day show

• Like 1

No I did not mean to sound overly critical. The website is not the biggest issue in the world by far, the models are fantastic! I just did a headcount and realized I have 16 steam/ baby GM or 071s already. I'm looking forward to the supertrain coaches that are coming out They will go well with some of my baby GM's I think. There will be a long wait to receive them here in the US so I envy you guys seeing them at the shows!

Im delighted with any model that comes out as well, still can t believe i can walk into marks, Grahams, rb models, modelshop belfast and get top quality irish rtr models. Our corner of the hobby is very well served by Paddy & others and long may it last. Only problem is i ve enough 201's so it ll be only 230 out of this batch :( .

Is it really that small?

Paddy may have been right a few years ago, but my customer database is 300 strong and there's quite a few of the 386 of you folk who have never done business with me (yes, yes, I know, I don't deal in anything built after 1970!). Not all the 300 are "active" but at best the marketplace is about 500?

Paddy may have been right a few years ago, but my customer database is 300 strong and there's quite a few of the 386 of you folk who have never done business with me (yes, yes, I know, I don't deal in anything built after 1970!). Not all the 300 are "active" but at best the marketplace is about 500?

I've had stuff off you indirectly - and almost directly, but you were missing from the stand at Warley a couple of years back and your mate took the sale...

Look at this site Leslie

Around 600 members but only 200 active

From various shows I attend I would say there are a lot more guys into the hobby,

These guys turn up at various shows, take a list out of their pocket, buy whatever it is they need and then vamoose, until the next show

I must see what the total number attending the 3 day show will be, might make some interesting reading?

Agreed Wrenn.

I'm one of those boys that appears now and then (funds permitting) but disappears for a while. Still can't believe that we have such a choice of Irish prototypes. Long may it continue. See ya in Raheny on the bank holiday weekend.

It's going to be a difficult figure to estimate but that may have been the correct number several years ago and that number may have expanded spurred by the increased availability of Irish outline. Exposure is the key, I think:trains:

Which brings up the point of limited runs. I understand that it would not be wise to produce far more product than could be expected to sell in any given market but there are clearly items that are sold out and obviously in demand that have not had a second run for newer modelers. This happened with the original 201s.

Should new runs be larger if the modeling market has expanded and wouldn't it be good business sense to do some re-runs when design and tooling has already been made??:confused:

I agree with DiveController on that one because there is only a limited run on some models but there are guys buying them up in the hope that they can make a hefty profit on them when they are all sold, preventing genuine modellers & collectors from getting any. Hats off to Paddy though as was said- for a one man operation he's doing an outstanding job & long may it last. Bachmann on the other hand can afford to take a punt & do re-runs. PIMP

Nearly all Paddys range from the cravens to the mk2's are available so hes producing the right amount . The lima 201's is possibly the worst example as they were available from 2001 to 2005 & they couldn t be given away. All the 201's are available bar maybe river shannon, all the 071's are still available , most of the cravens and mk2's. If your looking for aparticular loco or coach that isn t available buy the nearest one to it and get one of the lads to renumber or repaint it or do it yourself .

It's going to be a difficult figure to estimate but that may have been the correct number several years ago and that number may have expanded spurred by the increased availability of Irish outline. Exposure is the key, I think:trains:

Which brings up the point of limited runs. I understand that it would not be wise to produce far more product than could be expected to sell in any given market but there are clearly items that are sold out and obviously in demand that have not had a second run for newer modelers. This happened with the original 201s.

Should new runs be larger if the modeling market has expanded and wouldn't it be good business sense to do some re-runs when design and tooling has already been made??:confused:

The runs are limited, but on the other hand, all the hard work in producing those models, such as research, development, castings and so on has been done, which means that further runs of any given model can be produced in the future with little effort if the market demands it. In fact, extra runs of the 141's have already happened. A couple of model shops commissioned a batch of 171 after MM had released all that were planned, and then a further batch of 141 was produced after that loco was preserved...

Nearly all Paddys range from the cravens to the mk2's are available so hes producing the right amount . The lima 201's is possibly the worst example as they were available from 2001 to 2005 & they couldn t be given away. All the 201's are available bar maybe river shannon, all the 071's are still available , most of the cravens and mk2's. If your looking for aparticular loco or coach that isn t available buy the nearest one to it and get one of the lads to renumber or repaint it or do it yourself .

Mark 2 Gen Van in intercity is nigh on impossible to get, the restaurant car is hard to come by & bachmann's auto ballasters are sold out to name a few Tom. i was referring to doing re-runs of models which have sold out or are running low as has been mentioned all the groundwork has already been done

I'm not sure you're correct with regard to availability. When you say available, you mean in the used marketplace not new, where price would be determined by availability in the new and used markets

I agree with DiveController on that one because there is only a limited run on some models but there are guys buying them up in the hope that they can make a hefty profit on them when they are all sold, preventing genuine modellers & collectors from getting any. Hats off to Paddy though as was said- for a one man operation he's doing an outstanding job & long may it last. Bachmann on the other hand can afford to take a punt & do re-runs. PIMP

So in support of your answer on this, posts on this site speak for themselves. When you look back over old threads you can clearly see that this is the case with some individuals gathering more than for individual layout or collectors use. Yes, we are all grateful to Paddy Murphy but I'm still collecting some of the old stuff for my own use and it can be hard to source at times

Edited by DiveController

The runs are limited, but on the other hand, all the hard work in producing those models, such as research, development, castings and so on has been done, which means that further runs of any given model can be produced in the future with little effort if the market demands it. In fact, extra runs of the 141's have already happened. A couple of model shops commissioned a batch of 171 after MM had released all that were planned, and then a further batch of 141 was produced after that loco was preserved...

That's what I was alluding to, all the tooling etc. should be there for a re-run. Who commissioned extra models? Were they disatributed under the individual shops logo, Bachmann, not MM I'm sure?