Murphy Models new 201 and Mk3 coaches

Rate this topic

Bob229

5 hours ago, connollystn said:

If the Murphy Models 201[new] was bombed it'd improve its appearance, probably.

This is insulting rather than funny. You have been relentless in knocking this model and won't say what you see as wrong with it despite being asked many times to do so.  

• Agree 7

9 hours ago, connollystn said:

Nonsense comment, a fine Model like the actual locomotive looking forward to the next release from Murphy Models 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

38 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Don't know what you're getting at the there. The 201 is a very different beast from the 071.

I think Blaine is alluding to the belief that the 071 is the superior locomotive class. A tenet which I subscribe to I must admit, though I don't hate 201s.

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

nostalgia sells! 

If it didn't model railways wouldn't exist you could argue, or wouldn't be as financially viable at least.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

While I was not a particular fan of the prototype, finding the 201 class a rather boring looking shape compared to the 071 & baby GMs, but it served as a workhorse once the teething problems were sorted out in the early years and now successful on the Cork Mk4 set routes, but I do find the Murphy Models version a rather excellent model of the 201 class, way batter than the Lima version. A good runner that looks the part. Perhaps the prototype is a little long for more compact layouts, but all in all personally I find it an excellent model. I now have 3 of them (2xIntercity grey'n'green 1xOrange yellow no 201) even though they are not my modelling era, but have travelled behind them extensively over the years.

Apologies but nothing seems seriously wrong with these models to my eye.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the MM mk3 models later this year (ie

Ukraine permitting), although not my modelling era, I've travelled on them a lot.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, connollystn said:

Not a fan, I think we got that part. Entitled to your opinion of course, guess you’ll have more money left over for more IRM products or to donate to the Ukraine where that bomb would be more useful right now

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, Noel said:

Apologies but nothing seems seriously wrong with these models to my eye.

Well, other than you referring to them as peat briquettes numerous times. And the Lima version.. a door stop, if I'm not mistaken.  

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Ironroad said:

For those that say this I would ask, "As compared with what?",  besides no diesel has the character of a steam loco.

The 201s prototypes grew on me especially intercity green'n'grey. Travel on them frequently. I find in model form, they are rather long, no reflection on the model. The prototype lacks the distinctively interesting shape of the earlier GMs with their walkways and space 1999 style cabs that look like the extremities of a space station module. Not steam but a 141 had a certain presence about it. The prototype 201s and A class bodies were less interesting due to their simpler shape. I actually have two 201s, but don't operate them often. 141/181s the most used models on the layout. Singly or in consist pairs. They are still my favourite model of all time, not a critique just a personal preference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

The 201s prototypes grew on me especially intercity green'n'grey. Travel on them frequently. I find in model form, they are rather long, no reflection on the model. The prototype lacks the distinctively interesting shape of the earlier GMs with their walkways and space 1999 style cabs that look like the extremities of a space station module. Not steam but a 141 had a certain presence about it. The prototype 201s and A class bodies were less interesting due to their simpler shape. I actually have two 201s, but don't operate them often. 141/181s the most used models on the layout. Singly or in consist pairs. They are still my favourite model of all time, not a critique just a personal preference.

That about sums it up. The GMs except for the 201 have more interesting profiles than probably any other diesel prototype in Ireland or the UK. but that doesn't justify describing those less interesting profiles (long or short) as bricks or briquettes. They are what ran or still run on the railways we aspire to model and so we need to accept them otherwise what's the point. They are what they are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Ironroad said:

For those that say this I would ask, "As compared with what?",  besides no diesel has the character of a steam loco.

Sorry but I have absolutely no interest in steam locos, and could never see the attraction of them, except perhaps for those who grew up watching them.

12 hours ago, irishthump said:

Sorry but I have absolutely no interest in steam locos, and could never see the attraction of them, except perhaps for those who grew up watching them.

Steam locos are nice and all, but for me, they don't hold a candle to the diesels.

The 201 in particular, possibly because it wasn't banana shaped like the previous GM diesels, had a much bigger, more powerful presence.

Still love the 071's!

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yes, nostalgia is probably a big part of this, but steam made the railways possible and steam engines are the epitome of them. Diesels for all their practicality are pretenders.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The 201 in particular, possibly because it wasn't penis shaped like the previous GM diesels, had a much bigger, more powerful presence.

37 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

I presume the shape you refer to is in the eye of the beholder

Right, this is just getting weird now. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

The 201 shape was initially put forward to Foster Yeoman  when the class 59 was being planned. They did not go for it as we know. I might have put the photo of the planned design on here somewhere before but if you want I'll put it up again. It is in one of the books about Foster Yeoman.

Imagine if Irish Rail had gone for a stretched 071 rather than a new design.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Broithe said:

This is still the UK's warning sign for an ungated level crossing.

The red triangle with a train symbol indicates that a level crossing is approaching, and it is not closed off by a barrier or gate

I suppose it's more recognisable as a 'train' than a generic diesel silhouette would be.

It’s some sort of 4-4-0 design here in Ireland too. It’s yellow and it has a level crossing silhouette on the sign.

2 minutes ago, spudfan said:

Imagine if Irish Rail had gone for a stretched 071 rather than a new design.....

not a bad alternative, but hard to imagine in my head. Would a stretched 071 look well?

17 minutes ago, spudfan said:

The 201 shape was initially put forward to Foster Yeoman  when the class 59 was being planned. They did not go for it as we know. I might have put the photo of the planned design on here somewhere before but if you want I'll put it up again. It is in one of the books about Foster Yeoman.

FY wanted it to look more like a BR Class 52 Western than the '201' design which predated the IE one by 11 years, so FY got their wish. The 201 has the bodyside ribs which were designed to match wagons that FY had at the time

The main challenge was shrinking the SD40-2 design into the British loading gauge and keeping all of the complex electronics that allow their incredible haulage capacity

Class 59 - A brief look at the different types - British Outline Modelling  - Irish Railway Modeller

10 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Funny that regular trains haven't made a "choo choo" sound in over a half century that kids (and not a few adults) still call them that.

Yes when our grandchildren are visiting they ask can they come up and play with the choo choo train set. They think 'models' are photos of people with eating disorders. Toys they are and toys they play with howling 'choo-choo' with excitement as the trains run around the layout.  They love racing them around the loops both running in the same direction.

Edited by Noel
lexdysia
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

MM229 hauling Tony Mirolo resprays doesn't look bad even though its 40 years beyond my modelling era. Time travel is permissible on ones layout, especially when CIE B&T B121 trundles past this formation on the inside loop hauling loose coupled stock. 

IMG_9766.jpg

201 doesn't look bad when dressed properly

IMG_1265.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1