Murphy Models new 201 and Mk3 coaches

Rate this topic

Bob229

a question on my lips for a while now that has piqued my interest with this thread. 

why not a regauge class 66? would that not have been cheaper than designing the 201 from scratch? i mean they are pretty similar locos under the hood right? 

in the last 20 years we have seen the 66 deployed accross europe and even into africa.

The GL8 went all over the world with only minimal modifications, how come 201 had to be a bespoke design? 

I think the Class 66 EMD Model JT42CUR  introduced 1998 have a later (more reliable) version of the EMD 710 engine and more significantly are heavier with  'self steering bogies' https://writebetter.io/examples/radial+self-steering+bogies/ .

Self Steering Bogies were introduced during the mid late 1990s on American high horsepower freight locos such as the EMD SD70Mac and EG Dash 9-44CW to reduce wear and adhesion on curves a single SD70 or Dash 9-44 was expected to do the work of 1-2 earlier 6 axle locos such as SD40-2.

The 201s are EMD Model JT42 HCW     JT---Twin cab       42---EMD loco type  H--head end power  C- 6 axle version   W  Standard to 5'6" gauge

The CUR suffix on the Class 66 JT42CUR  likely to be C-6 axle version     U  meter to 5'6" gauge bogies R---Radial bogie?

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

32 minutes ago, Mayner said:

I think the Class 66 EMD Model JT42CUR  introduced 1998 have a later (more reliable) version of the EMD 710 engine and more significantly are heavier with  'self steering bogies' https://writebetter.io/examples/radial+self-steering+bogies/ .

Self Steering Bogies were introduced during the mid late 1990s on American high horsepower freight locos such as the EMD SD70Mac and EG Dash 9-44CW to reduce wear and adhesion on curves a single SD70 or Dash 9-44 was expected to do the work of 1-2 earlier 6 axle locos such as SD40-2.

The 201s are EMD Model JT42 HCW     JT---Twin cab       42---EMD loco type  H--head end power  C- 6 axle version   W  Standard to 5'6" gauge

The CUR suffix on the Class 66 JT42CUR  likely to be C-6 axle version     U  meter to 5'6" gauge bogies R---Radial bogie?

Good point, maybe more a passenger GB Class 59 then?

14 minutes ago, spudfan said:

I think the issue was the way Irish Rail were using the HEP facility. I think a revised schedule sorted that out.

It's probably just as well the original plan to get rid of generator vans on Mk2D and Mk3 sets was shelved!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, mfjoc said:

Thought I would bump this topic up.

Any rumor's about when any of the new models are going to be released?

Last update on Murphy's website is March 2021 with just the announcements.

What I would say the status quote still remains that we are still looking at the Very least a Q4 2023 release. Paddy said at Inchicore he was still in early stages with the 201s…and that was for models aperenly due last spring 

I really hope they still do come out. Those 2021 announcements have something for everyone 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

What I would say the status quote still remains that we are still looking at the Very least a Q4 2023 release. Paddy said at Inchicore he was still in early stages with the 201s…and that was for models aperenly due last spring 

I really hope they still do come out. Those 2021 announcements have something for everyone 

This delay could be a good thing, it might allow IRM to announce a Mk4 to release in conjunction with the 201! Or at least that’s what I’m hoping.

• Agree 1

Hi everyone,

If it's any use I believe the current plan is to land the Mark 2 run first. When the time comes we will be retailing these, the 201s and other future models on the IRM website, so look out for news and updates regarding pre-ordering. We will naturally post any info re numbers, pricing and delivery etc once we get them there and on here.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Informative 4

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

If it's any use I believe the current plan is to land the Mark 2 run first. When the time comes we will be retailing these, the 201s and other future models on the IRM website, so look out for news and updates regarding pre-ordering. We will naturally post any info re numbers, pricing and delivery etc once we get them there and on here.

Cheers!

Fran 

Do please….I’m waiting for that green 201 with the new logo eagarly…and it’s about 60 years after my era!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Do you mean a "C" class in "flying snail" green? .....................................................

Sure he can want both? 😁

True story, I managed to travel behind both 201 Class No.231s on the same day, in the same province.

('Big' 231 being my motive power back to Dublin after C231's performance at the last ITG gala).

• Like 5

Or enterprise coach stock as the enterprise livery 201s much like the intercity have nothing to hual passenger wise. That being said, having returned to the hobby too late to pick up any of the originally produced mk3s I'm looking forward to their release. 

1 hour ago, K801 said:

I wonder if bringing out a model Mk4 instead of a Mk3 would of made more sense?

The 201s did haul Mk3s in the early days. However the 3 livery’s MM plans to bring out (new logo IE green, New enterprise livery, Badger livery) never hauled em. I don’t think it would be too out there to suggest that MK 4 coaches will come sooner or later however 

currently there is a whole lot of A class locomotives with no passenger rolling stock currently available RTR so it’s it out of the question to have no stock for the new 201s