Support the RPSI With Our New Mark 2 Coach Pack

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Our railway heritage would be nothing without preservation societies and groups. The Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) was formed in 1964 to preserve Irish steam locomotives, carriages and rolling stock and to operate them on the Irish railway network for everyone to see, appreciate, enjoy and travel on. 

Operating from bases in Whitehead, Mullingar and Dublin, the RPSI has kept the wheels of Irish steam turning for almost 60 years, funded by donations and operating rail tours across the Irish rail network. both north and south of the border. 

Due to COVID19 restrictions, the vital revenue resource of rail tours has been cut off from the organisation following two years of postponed trips on the mainline. However in recent years, the RPSI has also received funding from a series of limited edition models which have provided a vital income stream. We've been delighted to aid the RPSI in facilitating the sale of some of these models, such as the limited edition production run of Murphy Models B134. 

Image_from_iOS_94_600x600.jpg?v=16454503

With our recent announcement of our NIR Mark 2B Enterprise stock, we can now come together and produce our first model in conjunction with the RPSI; a three car pack of their Mark 2 railtour rake of coaches. 

The RPSI previously commissioned a three pack of coaches in its green livery, featuring a trio of Mark 2A coaches. We can now offer three more coaches in Mark 2B format, including the Mark 2B Grille car no. 547, as well as FK no. 181 and SO no. 300. 

AccurascaleMk.2bRPSISet1_600x600.jpg?v=1

This heritage rake has been operating on RPSI rail tour trains behind both steam and diesel power from NIR and IE since their introduction into service almost 20 years ago, on both sides of the border.

Featuring our first Irish outline coach tooling, our Mark 2B coaches look resplendent in the RPSI green livery. A high specification of full interior lighting, museum quality detailing with a wealth of separately applied parts, close coupling and prototypically correct Irish gauge B4 bogies allowing for simple conversion for 21mm gauge if desired. 

Speaking of the announcement, RPSI Chairperson John McKegney said that he is delighted to see high quality models of the Society’s Mk2 rake being produced; "After almost two years of lockdown it will be good to see both the prototypes and then models in action. The Society very much appreciates the support given by IRM to the ongoing maintenance of our Northern main running rake.  It is delighted to be able to assist in the creation of such high quality models for which IRM has become famous.”

Image_from_iOS_100_600x600.jpg?v=1645450

IRM Director Patrick Conboy expressed his delight on being able to assist the RPSI with our latest model; "We're delighted to announce this special edition of our Mk2b coaches in the widely-recognised livery of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland. Proceeds from sales of these coaches will be donated to the RPSI to aid the Society in its ongoing work to preserve and maintain its unique and historically important collection of locomotives and rolling stock.

"While locomotives may be the star attractions, its coaching stock such as the RPSI's Mk2s which allow enthusiasts to enjoy them on railtours, and where the all-important social aspect of such events is enjoyed, whether that's conversations in the saloons or a pint or two enjoyed at the bar.

"These coaches are sure to be popular as they are a familiar sight from their extensive travels across the island of Ireland, hauled by a wide variety of motive power which not only includes the RPSI's superb collection of steam locomotives but also diesels provided by both Iarnród Éireann and Translink/Northern Ireland Railways."

Image_from_iOS_93_600x600.jpg?v=16454502

We recently received a first decorated sample of the Mark 2 and took it to Whitehead to meet its big brothers. James Friel, Technical Operations Engineer with the RPSI was on hand to inspect the model and gave us a tour of the real thing, along with all the other impressive projects currently underway at the RPSI HQ. 

This special RPSI pack will feature all the high specification featured in our new range of Mark 2 coaches, including full interior lighting, close coupling system, a wealth of separately applied detail, correct widened B4 bogies to cater for 5ft 3in gauge (and allowing for conversion to 21mm) and prototype specific detailing. 

YT6X5284_copy_600x600.jpg?v=1645466835

Arriving in Q4 2022 along with their NIR counterparts, our RPSI coach packs are strictly limited to 300 sets with numbered limited edition certificates and presentation packaging. RRP is €219.95 with proceeds going to the RPSI to support railway preservation. 

Pre-ordering is advised due to the limited and special nature of these coaches, considering the recent sales for our A3r locomotive to raise funds for the ITG. Available exclusively via IRM, they can be pre-ordered by clicking here. 

View the full article

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

1 hour ago, DoctorPan said:

Has IRM removed the ability to defer payment on pre-orders? Trying to pre-order these and the direct debit option seems to be missing.

Yes. Unfortunately it was getting rather abused by people hoarding up orders and then not paying for them when coming into stock. 

If you wish to set up a payment plan please email us first and we can set that up for you.

20% of the run already accounted for folks, many thanks!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Cool, Just need to Dutch Van now in Green.

I can have the poor people in the unlit Mk.2s and the VIP in the lit ones :)

Remember to seat the timers on the left hand side on day 1, and the right on day 2, the drinkers in coach C next the bar, and the weirdos and oddballs in seats 43 to the end.........  Seats 1-8 to be set aside for IE crew, 9-12 for RPSI crew, and one seat in the first seating bay in each coach for the marshal for that coach. Seats 50-60 in coach A for the shop section and two seats in the diner marked "crew" for when they're having their break.

• Funny 3

56 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Yes. Unfortunately it was getting rather abused by people hoarding up orders and then not paying for them when coming into stock. 

If you wish to set up a payment plan please email us first and we can set that up for you.

Cheers!

Fran 

Tried to order but 'Bank Deposit' (EFT) payment option is missing. Can you please set this up in general or for my account? This is the way I have always purchased all my IRM stock in the past (ie pay immediately prior to product being delivered). Thanks.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Tried to order but 'Bank Deposit' (EFT) payment option is missing. Can you please set this up in general or for my account? This is the way I have always purchased all my IRM stock in the past (ie pay immediately prior to product being delivered). Thanks.

In the message that you quoted, it says to email the lads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I got my son to order the RPSI Set 1 pack. I prefer to pay in full as it suits my circumstances. I have the Murphy’s Models’ “RPSI Pack” and the pack my son ordered for me will extend the rake. I did pay my son, happy days. It’s great to support the RPSI as I love trains. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Remember to seat the timers on the left hand side on day 1, and the right on day 2, the drinkers in coach C next the bar, and the weirdos and oddballs in seats 43 to the end.........  Seats 1-8 to be set aside for IE crew, 9-12 for RPSI crew, and one seat in the first seating bay in each coach for the marshal for that coach. Seats 50-60 in coach A for the shop section and two seats in the diner marked "crew" for when they're having their break.

I understand there is a sound chip option for the diner consisting of gricers talking. It plays on a one hour loop, and the volume/coherency of the discussion increase and decrease respectively over that time slot. Early trials of a smoke unit gently dispensing ‘eau de gricer’ were swiftly abandoned.

• Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I understand there is a sound chip option for the diner consisting of gricers talking. It plays on a one hour loop, and the volume/coherency of the discussion increase and decrease respectively over that time slot. Early trials of a smoke unit gently dispensing ‘eau de gricer’ were swiftly abandoned.

Attempts to create the aroma of Guinness and egg sandwiches also failed to surmount the obvious health and welfare issues.

• Funny 6

33 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

If there was a sound chip, Facebook has provided the perfect gricer quote A871C8F7-6CCB-4B71-871B-C1F49040E434.jpeg.d9aae92fcc86c94ed6d31dff4fd49cb9.jpeg

these look great!

last few announcments have been a little "meh" for me but only because the models didnt fit into the greater scheme of what i have been trying to do on my layout....

that being said these more than make up for that! and reassures me a bit of more liverys coming down the pipeline.

hoping i can get a pre order in before they are all gone, on that note,  maybe the  unpaid pre order option could be resinstated on the condition that pre orders must pay a deposit? i would happily go for this and put down 25% if it meant the item was secured for a later date. (will email for a payment plan later)

also noticing how this is called "set 1" when are ye announcing set 2? ;)

Edited by Sean

4 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Cheers!

Fran 

Many thanks for the update Fran. Email sent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/44/460-mk2-brake

Will the brake get a look in as well ? 

Robert  

460 was released previously by Murphy's Models back in 2008, as part of the first RPSI liveried set of MK2 coaches

http://www.murphymodels.com/files/RPSI_MkII_Review_MR119_008-012%2C014-015.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

460 was released previously by Murphy's Models back in 2008, as part of the first RPSI liveried set of MK2 coaches

http://www.murphymodels.com/files/RPSI_MkII_Review_MR119_008-012%2C014-015.pdf

Hi thanks for that, it did occur to me as I posted the coach is a Mk2a with narrow doors and thus not part of the suite of coaches IRM is doing.  so my "bad"   but still a WT will be good !

Robert  

On 22/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, jhb171achill said:

Hey, JB, none of these remarks about the Knights of the Stop Watch - a massive percentage of the RPSI founders were timers!

All praise to the Society, who usually manage to get us on the right side for the mileposts!

The other method is to hunt in groups of EIGHT - four Timers on one side, four non-timer mates on the other, so a table for table swap is possible when the mileposts change sides!

Of course none of this is necessary in the GPS world - you start the GPS at Zero miles, glue your eyes to it, noting the speed every quarter mile and never look out of the window - gone are the days of coming home face black, shirt in need of laundering from a day of squinting into the darkness for near-invisible mileposts.

If the Lads had modelled the early diners, we could have the smell of frying steak as Galteemore's revered Dad provided a steak dinner with wine to the particpiants on a ECS run!

My justification is that whilst the coaches fit my era they did not exist in this guise until 20 years later so I can be a bit "loose" about my choice of loco. 

It can be my own little tribute to the cset locos at Downpatrick pulling flying snail coaches 

• Like 1

On 22/2/2022 at 8:12 PM, Broithe said:

Attempts to create the aroma of Guinness and egg sandwiches also failed to surmount the obvious health and welfare issues.

Ah yes, the classic combo. I'm well known for my love of both at family gatherings. Although, anyone standing within two feet of me tend to disperse as the night goes on. Can't think why. 

• Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up to say we are approaching the 75% pre-sold mark on these. Thank you to everyone who has pre-ordered a set so far and supported the RPSI. Don't miss out on these packs, surely a collectors item in the future.

1182988263_ImagefromiOS(97).thumb.jpg.1933c0d76f2aaa7870c7b5ed4f165b17.jpg

Due at the end of this year. Pre-order yours here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/mark-2-coaches/products/rpsi-set-1

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • WOW! 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great to see that they sold out. I guess, as usual, there'll be a few unpaid for sets that go on sale when the stock actually arrives.

Anybody missing out on the last of the Bachmann packs is gonna be kicking themselves. @murphaphhas a set for sale here on the forum, cheaper than Marks Models and cheaper than eBay. These will be in extra demand when the IRM packs arrive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1