Ballinacraig

Rate this topic

• 6 months later...

Have you also used the arklow road bridge for inspiration? the one you go over before esmonde street if on a train going into gorey.

as someone who passes under these bridges every day i really do think you have captured the essence of both of them excellently depending on what photo I am looking at.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 5:15 PM, Sean said:

Have you also used the arklow road bridge for inspiration? the one you go over before esmonde street if on a train going into gorey.

as someone who passes under these bridges every day i really do think you have captured the essence of both of them excellently depending on what photo I am looking at.

No, I exclusively used the Esmonde Street bridge as my main reference, Sean. Although, I was aware of the Arklow Road bridge from previous visits to Gorey.

• Like 2

Its deadly, from the side with the billboard and the 071 picture angle due to the left turn and embankments its a real reminder of the arklow bridge.

the shots where you are standing street level looking straight under the bridge is 100% esmonde street with the small few shops just to be seen underneath the bridge.

I showed these photos to my parents a few months ago when you were at an earlier stage and they were able to tell me the location without any prompts,  they are not railway people. :D 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, Bob229 said:

Hi Paddy,  lots of progress great work and detail fantastic layout, just wondering where did you get the platforms lamps? thanks

Thanks, Bob. They are all scratch built from bits of plastic sprues and wiring. I spent ages looking for similar donor lamps online, but there just wasn't anything close available, so I made my own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fiacra said:

Outstanding layout! The bridge in particular is stunning - how was the stonework created?

Thanks, Fiacra. The main stonework was created using Slaters 7mm dressed stone sheets of plastikard. The coping stones were created by applying Polyfilla over balsa wood strips. Polyfilla is very easy to shape and score once set.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

• 5 months later...

Absolutely lovely stuff here!

I agree with the sentiments of everybody, the layout, the scenery, the era, the background modelling, the Tinnelly truck hiding by the warehouse, the main street, the bridge, the platform lamps, the photography and videography, everything is top notch.

• Agree 2