A First Look At Our IR and IE Mark 2 Coaches

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

On 17/2/2024 at 10:35 PM, Horsetan said:

According to the GLS parcel tracking, the RPSI set I ordered has made it to Britain, but then the trail goes a bit cold.

I have a Parcelforce track number which claims the parcel was subjected to an attempted delivery on Valentine's Day, and then left at the local post office. My friend and I went to that post office today, only to be told that the parcel was not there!!

Hope it hasn't been stolen....

Update: the local post office has found the parcel and we have retrieved it!

It does look like it has either been drop-kicked or partly crushed in transit....

IMG-20240219-WA0010.jpg

• WOW! 3
  • Angry 3

On 16/2/2024 at 12:23 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

We have done up a wee formation guide on these to give you some idea on traction and set up!

AccurascaleIRMk.2formations(2).thumb.jpg.f1b8343d3ef84e2369d0d3e0468859e7.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

This is excellent, as a relatively new modeler I'd love to see more of these for the Goods , Containers and Tara Mines formations etc etc.. I find these to be invaluable when making up my trains for my layout. 

Edited by Keano30
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

The parts diagrams are spectacular....

20240224_210709.jpg

....and so are the full-width bogies....

20240224_211036.jpg

20240224_211120.jpg

One thing I note is that the conversion to 21mm gauge (P4 profile wheels) may not be completely straightforward, as the IRM bogie wheels work on a split-axle principle, with the wheels being an interference fit on 1.5mm dia stub axles which then plug in either side of the insulated centre tube. Conventional P4 wheels are generally mounted on 2mm dia axles and if these were swapped straight in, then the lighting function will be lost as the P4 wheels tend to be plastic-centred.

Somewhere in the bombsite that is my worktop, I have a pack of the old Exactoscale P4 coach wheels which - unlike the conventional type - were designed to mount on their own 1mm dia axles. This is going to require a bit of lateral thinking....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Informative 3

34 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

The parts diagrams are spectacular....

20240224_210709.jpg

....and so are the full-width bogies....

20240224_211036.jpg

20240224_211120.jpg

One thing I note is that the conversion to 21mm gauge (P4 profile wheels) may not be completely straightforward, as the IRM bogie wheels work on a split-axle principle, with the wheels being an interference fit on 1.5mm dia stub axles which then plug in either side of the insulated centre tube. Conventional P4 wheels are generally mounted on 2mm dia axles and if these were swapped straight in, then the lighting function will be lost as the P4 wheels tend to be plastic-centred.

Somewhere in the bombsite that is my worktop, I have a pack of the old Exactoscale P4 coach wheels which - unlike the conventional type - were designed to mount on their own 1mm dia axles. This is going to require a bit of lateral thinking....

Interesting HT.How do the brake shoes work for 21mm? When I convert 6w chassis to 5’3” in 7mm scale I have to cut the brake hanger and shoe etches off and resolder 2.5mm further out - how does it work out in this scale and medium ? 

Edited by Galteemore

5 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Interesting HT.How do the brake shoes work for 21mm? 

They won't work on 21mm gauge without cutting and splicing-in new inserts to take up the wider spacing.

However, that's relatively minor compared to what will be required to install new wheels (and axles).

The Murphy Models Mk2s are much more straightforward in that respect, but will themselves need to have the bogie frames widened to match the IRM overall width.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Horsetan said:

They won't work on 21mm gauge without cutting and splicing-in new inserts to take up the wider spacing.

However, that's relatively minor compared to what will be required to install new wheels (and axles)

Thanks - thought that would be the case unless separate 21mm brake mouldings were included. It’s worth it all in the end, we tell ourselves….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks - thought that would be the case unless separate 21mm brake mouldings were included. It’s worth it all in the end, we tell ourselves….

When all's said and done, it all helps to make you think a bit harder and develop your own methods to get round the problem. That's modelling.

Having said that, when Dapol brought out their Class 52 Western diesel-hydraulic, the bogies worked on the same split axle / stub axle principle. To convert it to P4, Ultrascale produced a limited batch of P4 wheels with the stub axles already fitted, and the wheels themselves were non-insulated. They weren't cheap, at 60 quid for 12 specially-produced disc wheels, but they worked. Thereafter the model performed the same way that Dapol designed it to.

I'm not sure Ultrascale would do the same again for a limited number of 21mm gauge coach conversions - I can see it would be an expensive exercise.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

...One thing I note is that the conversion to 21mm gauge (P4 profile wheels) may not be completely straightforward, as the IRM bogie wheels work on a split-axle principle, with the wheels being an interference fit on 1.5mm dia stub axles which then plug in either side of the insulated centre tube. Conventional P4 wheels are generally mounted on 2mm dia axles and if these were swapped straight in, then the lighting function will be lost as the P4 wheels tend to be plastic-centred.

I think we might have a partial solution in the form of this brass tube - conventional P4 coach disc wheels could be mounted on this, and the 1.5mm pinpoint axle (if IRM have spares of part no.84 available) would telescope inside it.... Alternative insulated centre tubes cut to the wider gauge could then finish off the converted set.

• Like 1

On 24/2/2024 at 10:11 PM, Horsetan said:

I think we might have a partial solution in the form of this brass tube - conventional P4 coach disc wheels could be mounted on this, and the 1.5mm pinpoint axle (if IRM have spares of part no.84 available) would telescope inside it.... Alternative insulated centre tubes cut to the wider gauge could then finish off the converted set.

I've discovered that Alan Gibson Workshop produces electrically conductive coach wheels, plus bushes for 1.5mm axles (hopefully the bushes are 2mm o/d, which means they can be pressed straight into the wheels).

• Like 1

Digging into the wheelsets a bit further, I found the wheel diameter to be a consistent 12.06mm, with a standard back-to-back set at around 14.57mm...

20240303_153249.thumb.jpg.d179a78737e9e066eefe25689d68064e.jpg20240303_153748.thumb.jpg.c0c56f2989d1122710a454afdd9671cf.jpg

Pinpoint stub axles came out at 1.53mm:

20240303_153945.thumb.jpg.13087ed55d4c3de8f886e4974495af2f.jpg

...and the insulated axle muff was found to be virtually the same as the back-to-back measurement:

20240303_154731.thumb.jpg.120733943ed17bebf582e9c00dd71b13.jpg

Quite encouraging so far...

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Hopefully the bottom line after the coaches go out will be enough to see some heating vans from IRM.  I have two silver fox ones but would hope an rtr one would help many of the new converts to 5` 3."  

My RPSI rake now complete - diesel hauled for now ... 

Robert  

• Agree 2

Interesting post about the Colour used on the Blue striped one NIR, I am not expert on these for sure but was there a later darker blue used?

Colin's post querying this has not been answered as of yet, but the UK lads Querying the UK outline ones have?

Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM! - Page 42 - Accurascale / Irish Railway Models - RMweb

No news on the Bogies issue either? all gone quiet, CNY ended on the 26th of Feb.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 15/3/2024 at 1:26 PM, BosKonay said:

Not long now..

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 13.25.53.png

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

Love the ITG style packaging!

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Interesting post about the Colour used on the Blue striped one NIR, I am not expert on these for sure but was there a later darker blue used?

Colin's post querying this has not been answered as of yet, but the UK lads Querying the UK outline ones have?

Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM! - Page 42 - Accurascale / Irish Railway Models - RMweb

No news on the Bogies issue either? all gone quiet, CNY ended on the 26th of Feb.

Think that the IRM lads are for more present on RMW than here the past year or two, bigger market so probably demands a lot more attention.

I missed Colin's post, will go have a look for it, now.

EDIT: Found Colin's post, for anybody interested:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/166677-mark-2b-by-accurascale-and-irm/page/42/#comment-5463113

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Hi George,

Greetings from London where we’re recovering from the Alexandra Palace show. It’s been one busy weekend for us with a record attendance at the show, including some familiar faces from our side of the pond.

The NIR we believe to have correct following our research and looking at photos too. I cannot vouch for Murphy Models loco colours as we never researched colours for Class 111 locomotives.

As for bogies, this is still being sorted with the factory and we will bring news as when we have it. Despite Chinese new year being over, a factory cannot just blast out an order for new bogies in a week or two. It has to be confirmed, slotted into production schedules, packaging designed and created and shipped. We appreciate the patience as we work to resolve the issue.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

On 18/3/2024 at 8:13 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi George,

Greetings from London where we’re recovering from the Alexandra Palace show. It’s been one busy weekend for us with a record attendance at the show, including some familiar faces from our side of the pond.

The NIR we believe to have correct following our research and looking at photos too. I cannot vouch for Murphy Models loco colours as we never researched colours for Class 111 locomotives.

As for bogies, this is still being sorted with the factory and we will bring news as when we have it. Despite Chinese new year being over, a factory cannot just blast out an order for new bogies in a week or two. It has to be confirmed, slotted into production schedules, packaging designed and created and shipped. We appreciate the patience as we work to resolve the issue.

Cheers!

Fran

Cheers for that Fran. Irish Railways seems to be bit of a nightmare with all the Colours, Variants!! I  hope you had a lovely weekend over there at the London show. Watch the Vids and some lovely layouts there.

FYIL See a report of an 'Wide' Irish Bogie on the UK based coach on RMWEB recently, Dunno if ye missed it. 

• Thanks 1

If it helps with the re-gauge discussion I just took the easy route (P4 modellers look away). The pic has before and after wheelsets.

Take the half axles, put pinpoint side upwards in a vice, and use a few taps of a hammer or similar object to push the axle down, leaving just enough to allow the wheels to slot back in. Join the pair of half axles with the plastic sleeve, use a wheel gauge and all is done bar putting the wheels back in the bogie frame.

Works for me, and the lads on IRM/Accurascale stand at Alley Paley seemed to like it as well. (The Bulleid opens looked lovely, and have 28mm length axles, ready for proper gauge modelling)

You do have to discard the brake blocks, but if needed you could probably glue them in place. 

IMG_6817.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Cheers for that Fran. Irish Railways seems to be bit of a nightmare with all the Colours, Variants!! I  hope you had a lovely weekend over there at the London show. Watch the Vids and some lovely layouts there.

FYIL See a report of an 'Wide' Irish Bogie on the UK based coach on RMWEB recently, Dunno if ye missed it. 

Cheers for that, @Georgeconna. I avoid RMW, even though I have an account, as there are just so many angries on there. I'd spend my whole time arguing and defending people, never actually getting anywhere.

2 hours ago, Brendan8056 said:

If it helps with the re-gauge discussion I just took the easy route (P4 modellers look away). The pic has before and after wheelsets.

Take the half axles, put pinpoint side upwards in a vice, and use a few taps of a hammer or similar object to push the axle down, leaving just enough to allow the wheels to slot back in. Join the pair of half axles with the plastic sleeve, use a wheel gauge and all is done bar putting the wheels back in the bogie frame.

Works for me, and the lads on IRM/Accurascale stand at Alley Paley seemed to like it as well. (The Bulleid opens looked lovely, and have 28mm length axles, ready for proper gauge modelling)

You do have to discard the brake blocks, but if needed you could probably glue them in place. 

IMG_6817.JPG

So the brake blocks are redundant for 21mm running? Are they glued on or friction-fit?