eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

7 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Been watching this 171 the past week or so. Looks like a junker, parts donor or a restoration project.

5 bids so far, €200 plus shipping.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/266256841867

Screenshot_20230520-144825.png

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

That 171 finished at €210 plus postage. Looked like it needed a lot of work, so that's definitely a good price for the seller.

Seller is in Germany. His auction description, roughly translated, reads:

"Locomotive runs in both directions

Light change red / white

Prepared for digital operation 21P decoder

Light traces of glue from attaching the railings. Only used in test operation.

Further accessories, manual and box."

Photos suggest not a great deal wrong with it. It might actually run perfectly. May only need a DCC blanking plug, so.

13 Euros to post form Germany to Britain.

Might be alright to convert to 21mm gauge.

Just now, Horsetan said:

Seller is in Germany. His auction description, roughly translated, reads:

"Locomotive runs in both directions

Light change red / white

Prepared for digital operation 21P decoder

Light traces of glue from attaching the railings. Only used in test operation.

Further accessories, manual and box."

Photos suggest not a great deal wrong with it. It might actually run perfectly. May only need a DCC blanking plug, so.

13 Euros to post form Germany to Britain.

Might be alright to convert to 21mm gauge.

Yeah, I read the description alright, but the photos show damaged bodywork, wierd buffers and several chunks missing out of the handrails.

Taking all of that into consideration, it would be fair to assume that it's been drop-kicked a few times.

I have one that was attacked by Catzilla, fell from 1,1m onto hard tiles and hasn't got a blemish.

So to have so many bits damaged, you know.....

4 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Yeah, I read the description alright, but the photos show damaged bodywork, weird buffers and several chunks missing out of the handrails.

The buffers aren't a problem - there are loads of oval-headed (and sprung!) options out there that will substitute adequately.

Handrails should be easy to fix - there's enough of the intact ones left to replicate them with something other than fragile plastic. 

Damaged bodywork - well, I can see some paint marks, but the photos aren't close enough to give any other clues about the seller's drop-kicking skills.

If it still runs well after all that, then it runs.

5 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

The buffers aren't a problem - there are loads of oval-headed (and sprung!) options out there that will substitute adequately.

Handrails should be easy to fix - there's enough of the intact ones left to replicate them with something other than fragile plastic. 

Damaged bodywork - well, I can see some paint marks, but the photos aren't close enough to give any other clues about the seller's drop-kicking skills.

If it still runs well after all that, then it runs.

That's my point.

To damage it that badly on the outside, the inside may not last long.

Hence I'd view it as a donor for parts or as a restautation project.

I assume that Paddy's new ones will hit the shelves this year or next at €190 or €200 odd, which should also be taken into consideration.

If it runs ok the chassis may be fine, perhaps junk the body or sell bits of the body for spares and use the chassis to drive a Silverfox C class resin kit. Years ago I bought two inexpensive damaged 141 models for €90 & €110 just to get the chassis for A class. I used one of the cab ends to house a gopro for layout cab ride videos. One day for fun might respray the body parts in 201 intercity silver and green. The other one in the photo was a badly damaged 071 donor (other side) as a chassis for a SF Sulzer 110 kit. But fairly drastic surgery and cutting needed on the chassis of that one unlike the easy 141 modification.

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

Basic compared to IMP but passes the duck test and runs like a Swiss watch on DCC. Chassis only needs about 5mm of metal sawed off at both ends for a perfect fit between the resin body and the 141 chassis. Some day I might try and Tweak the resin bogies. 

IMG_2201.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

If it runs ok the chassis may be fine, perhaps junk the body or sell bits of the body for spares and use the chassis to drive a Silverfox C class resin kit. Years ago I bought two inexpensive damaged 141 models for €90 & €110 just to get the chassis for A class.

Spot on, exactly!

The replacement buffers themselves aren't a problem on that 171 but if you look closely you can see the buffer beam has been damaged, perhaps drilled out to accomodate those replacements. I think €210 is way too much given the condition but someone was happy to pay it. I took a look myself, as being based in Germany the postage would have only been a fiver but once I saw it go over €100 I was out to be honest. It would have been for renumbering as I have the model already. I hope whoever got it enjoys it as I am sure they will. Great to see the demand is still out there all these months after the "Covid boost". 

Now bring on the new ones from PM this summer/autumn hopefully!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, amdaley said:

He must be saving up for a deposit for a house 😏

Even a yurt isn't that expensive, that said the seller must be living up my road as I am getting bombarded with requests to sell my house from so called estate agents 🤬, I don't mind since I have heavy metal music from one side and bhangra music on the other 😠     

• Funny 3

We had a term much used in NI when I was young - "He's a Chancer"!

We'll see if they're sold at that price........

There are guys who collect all Dapol commissions and I think that this outfit is hoping to kid some of them into filling gaps in their collections! They ignore that while they were Dapol wagons, what was on them WASN'T!

No, I wasn't rooting around in my garage - I was commissioning more wagons from Dapol ........

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

23 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

No, I wasn't rooting around in my garage - I was commissioning more wagons from Dapol ........

Too late, I've already commissioned a load from them!

😂

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Or buy new unpainted Dapol wagons (vans) for €8ea and paint them to CIE Livery with decals from SSM

Exactly what I did. Like £5 or £6 each, something like that.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

We had a term much used in NI when I was young - "He's a Chancer"!

We'll see if they're sold at that price........

There are guys who collect all Dapol commissions and I think that this outfit is hoping to kid some of them into filling gaps in their collections! They ignore that while they were Dapol wagons, what was on them WASN'T!

Oh goodie, a price war Weeeee! Seriously for a moment, I will wait and see what Leslie comes up with 

Meanwhile, I bought one of Wiggy's scrap chasis. Ebay (or Wiggy) had pitched import duties at STG 15 if I recall correctly - and a big postage charge of maybe twice that. But I had it shipped to Addresspal in Herefordshire for a little over 4 Euro in postage. They looked at it and assessed it import duties at a whopping €2.16.  There will be another 6 Euro to have it transshipped and maybe 4 euro more in admin fees for handling the customs end. Total Shipping including Duties is going to come in under EUR 16 - that was the import charge alone if I had let Wiggy send it directly to me.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

Great. Any pics? 

I think that I uploaded a video of @Mayner's brake vans to YT and there were some Dapols in the rake, but not fully sure, and don't want to go spamming the forum by sharing again.

First set of decals from @Weshty went missing in the post so a fresh batch were sorted five or six months ago, and they'll go on when they get here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...