201 coming off plane

Rate this topic

201bhoy

I have video of the delivery of 201 it's about 3 hours long, has shots of inside of the plane and unloading and moving through Dublin city at all hour's of the night to inchoire,has first run and test trains as well I think.

Is that home made or was it commercially available?

• 9 years later...
13 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Phenomenal - sad to think 201 has had such a short career though.

Any chance that she will run again?

Surely it all hangs on the revival or otherwise of railfreight. Passenger services will go more and more towards multiple units I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spudfan said:

Pity they did not film loco being taken out of it's cardboard box. I wonder if it was as well packaged as the IRM "A" class loco?

Would have taken at least an hour if not two to winch it out of the plane and onto the trailer, need to keep everything reasonable level so nothing was damaged, not at least the plane

On 26/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Dempsey said:

I remember coming across a video of a MM example repainted in the rail fright livery the same as the 071s. I thought it wore it well. Could a few of the non push pulls in storage be converted to run on fright duties? 

If they were needed for freight they would all be out and about. Its a clear indication of how much freight has been lost down the years

On 26/10/2021 at 10:21 PM, connollystn said:

Considering it's historical impotance, I'm surprised that no.201 hasn't been preserved. At that time it was the heaviest single object to be transported by air.

Not that important in the bigger scheme of things, 121 was one of, if not the first EMD loco to be exported to Europe and it was not preserved for this reason, despite rumours to the contary

1 hour ago, Blaine said:

Would have taken at least an hour if not two to winch it out of the plane and onto the trailer, need to keep everything reasonable level so nothing was damaged, not at least the plane

If they were needed for freight they would all be out and about. Its a clear indication of how much freight has been lost down the years

Not that important in the bigger scheme of things, 121 was one of, if not the first EMD loco to be exported to Europe and it was not preserved for this reason, despite rumours to the contary

Absolutely agree. It was more of a general inquiry if a conversion was possible.