Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Heres the Latest on the Brakes, All the Side Strakes or T Section as Des Calls them are on,

The End ones were soldered on first,4 per van, A tab had to be cut off of one and as there was no hole in the End of the Veranda to sit it into. No big deal just some extra time taken.

435_3513_zps7a2e923a.jpg

435_3515_zps5bb1173b.jpg

The last of the Strakes in the Side of the Body were soldered on, There are four lengths that you have to cut to size yourself and this took a wee bit of time but all good fun!!

435_3516copy_zps21a47f9d.jpg

435_3517_zps7fc663e0.jpg

bit more of a update on the Brake Vans. Got the Lamp Irons Soldered one, Side lamps, Ash vent, Window Frames, and door ends. good bit of time on these spent, the vans look pretty bad at this stage but one I give em a little love and a wash they should come up nicely.

Heres the Lamp Irons on

435_3518_zpsf9ea718f.jpg

The I tackled to Duckets, It would be great to have these cast in Resin so you can just glue em on!! Handy too for Scratch building. I et the solder flow out of the Joins so I can sand them flush and the join will be filled. Thats the plan anyhow!!

435_3519_zps9acfa938.jpg

435_3520_zpsa1c5ec22.jpg

Next was the Door ends and to solder these in place and the window Frames, Pretty straighforward to do this.

435_3522_zpsf71e2494.jpg

Frames in place

435_3523_zpse7ba1b4f.jpg

Door ends in place

435_3526_zps0de3ebf2.jpg

Ashpan flap soldered on, This is a 2 part piece

435_3525_zpsc7c3c299.jpg

Here with have the little Side lamps soldered on.

435_3529_zps5d8e5369.jpg

Also on the go is an SSM MK.3 EGV. I have this a long way through the build and just spraying the Dayglo on the ends. Need to fix back on a step by the looks of it.

435_3532_zpsd4a23923.jpg

435_3531_zps2b66a8fb.jpg

Finally not everything goes to plan, I had these mark 3s sprayed up and Decalled, 95% complete, just needed to glue on Etch Window surrounds and the Shawplan Windows and they were done however I used y own mix of orange which was a tad too light when matched up to another EGV I had so I soaked them in oven cleaner and fairy power spray and now have re-primed them again and will used the Phoenix precision CIE Orange which is back on sale in Marks, Big and Small tins. Big tins E9.99.

435_3533_zpsd5e99184.jpg

435_3534_zps7d4f0d9c.jpg

All the soldering done with the handrails taking the most time, 2 hours spent tonight and the last 8 rain strips will be done tomorrow if my shed is still there!! Then a prime and the chassis to build.

The roof dims I used were:Width 36mm x Length 83mm is used some KS brass at work which is very thin and easy to bend while soldering.

435_3542_zps4f803f6a.jpg

435_3541_zps45e7ad2a.jpg

435_3543_zps292367bd.jpg

Lovely clean work on the brake vans your really after mastering the soldering. I can't believe you striped back the paint on the mk3's having nearly finished, that would do my head in, your a perfectionist all right.

The chap they are going to is!!. But they were bugging me big time. The Burnt fingers have their won tale to tell Sean!!

Slowly losing the will to live, Maybe Solder poisoning...anyhow another 2 hours tonight doing the handrails on my own one and the Chimneys and a general tidy up, Definately plastic fix tomorrow I can smell the glue form here!!

The Chimney collar is plastic Tube widened out with a mini File and brass Tube used for the Chimney available from all goodish model shops....

435_3545_zpsf83fd302.jpg

435_3546_zps59e3f6b6.jpg

435_3544_zpsa97f893d.jpg

Well got all of the Chassis down last night and they bodies are being primed right now. Used Liquid lead to weight them down and sealed off the gap in the chassis floor to get as much lead in as possible. Glued in with wood glue watered down with soap and water. O took the wheels out and adjusted the ballast and gave them a clean up before the glue set.

435_3557_zps59f018f4.jpg

435_3558_zps5eec9ec8.jpg

435_3560_zpsd2eefbff.jpg

435_3561_zpsc5b6f218.jpg

435_3563_zpscc834bd4.jpg

Oh!! Will Take note on this bit of info. Had not heard of it before but thanks for the Gen.

On a footnote I added deluxe Liquid lead to a brake van about a year ago and no expansion has taken place. It is the Deluxe stuff that I am using and there is no reports if that Expanding.Maybe the Traditional lead shot causes that issue.

Edited by Georgeconna

Oh!! Will Take note on this bit of info. Had not heard of it before but thanks for the Gen.

On a footnote I added deluxe Liquid lead to a brake van about a year ago and no expansion has taken place. It is the Deluxe stuff that I am using and there is no reports if that Expanding.Maybe the Traditional lead shot causes that issue.

The acetic acid in the PVA reacts with lead to cause the expansion. It happens when a large amount of weight and glue are added, so it's more common in larger scales. Using it in an enclosed space such as a loco boiler is also a factor, so using it on the underside of a wagon shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I know the Deluxe Liquid Gravity is not pure lead so doesn't react the same way. Mind you they recommend using thin CA glue to fix it in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Decals on the Van this week, One Decal which has the Weight restriction is a little too big lengthwise for the van side, Nothing I could do about that now. Its there to stay. Roof is now on Permanently but not in these photos. The Glazing has been adjusted as well as this was a dry run. I used Non odour Superglue to stick those in.

435_3592_zpsc269f6aa.jpg

435_3594_zpsf7afd162.jpg