Just a memory - Phibsboro Modellers Shop

Rate this question

Sulzer201

Question

Hi lads, just a question - do many of you remember the old modellers shop in Monk Place (I think it was) Phibsboro. The Mater Hosp was on RTE news this evening and brought back distant memories of going out to the North Circular with my Mum when I was young - must have been 1980/81ish. I remember scourging her to take me up to find the little Model Shop that was hidden somewhere down a side street. My mother eventually brought me and in the end I bought a silly looking platform canopy which I think may have been for a continental layout. If my memory serves me correctly a little old man ran the shop at that stage? Thanks all.

There was another model shop on one of the small side streets off Aston Quay - I think it was called Travellers Fare although I cannot be sure on that. It was quite a spacious shop and also stocked cars, boats , planes, airfix etc. Anyhow I got a rush of blood in there one day and bought an N gauge green CIE set with a black steam loco. I never really ran it and that was the start and finish of my N gauge collection.

God that brings back memories. My Father used to send me up to Monck Place on the bicycle from Ringsend. Got my Lima J50 0-6-0 repaired when the funnel screw holder snapped. Think it cost IR£5 (EXPENSIVE BACK THEN) to repair. Anyone remember McBirmeys on Aston Quay? Bought my first CIE Class 33 there for IR£10 and as it was near Christmas they had this huge layout upstairs and I got to try out the Loco before taking it home. Also Easons Toy Dept. on the first floor was great for Hornby accessories.

Ger.

Edited by ak425

There was another model shop on one of the small side streets off Aston Quay - I think it was called Travellers Fare although I cannot be sure on that. It was quite a spacious shop and also stocked cars, boats , planes, airfix etc. Anyhow I got a rush of blood in there one day and bought an N gauge green CIE set with a black steam loco. I never really ran it and that was the start and finish of my N gauge collection.

I remember that, was also a post office there too. Always remeber a layout there with a bit plastic dome/bubble on top with some of the Lima push buttons that made the trains run

Spot on garfieldsghost , it was the Modeller's Den. Also I remember now there was a post office in it . Amazing to think we had no real Irish models back then and yet there were many places around Dublin that sold model railway stuff. Despite the superb range of models available to us now, is the interest not as great now in models railways as it was back then ?

Was that not called The Modellers'Den?
  • Like 1

Anyone remember Joe Molloy's on James's Street? A lot of my stuff came from there in the late 80s early 90s as a lad. My Dad had a business around the corner on Echlin Street and bought stuff in there. He sold some new and mostly second hand stuff and was also a newsagent and deli. Sadly one syringe bound robbery too many forced him to close in the mid 90s.

I remember it well , I would look down at that basement on my way to school most days and dream even when I got to class. I think that may have gone on to become Marks Models .

Anyone remember Southern Model Rail (I think that was the name), in the basement on Lower Leeson Street?

Anyone remember Southern Model Rail (I think that was the name), in the basement on Lower Leeson Street?

That brings back memories. I got my first book on Irish railways, 'Irish Railway Album' by CP Boocock, there after much saving of the pennies. It cost the princly sum of 30 shillings (about €1.90 in today's money) which doesnt seem like a lot now, but which was a fortune to a schoolboy back in 1968/69! The storeroom at the rear of the shop was an Aladin's cave of items that weren't on the shelves, a lot of which were no longer in the catalogues. As Mayner said, the assistant Eddie Elliott was extremely tolerant and helpful and he would often allow one to rumage through the stock in the storeroom to see if there was anything of interest, though these were usually out of reach of my funds.

there was a shop called Days Bazzar in Mullingar which stocked hornby railways. almost every evening on the way home from school i would drop in and stare at the stock. there was a gleaming 'Princess Elizabeth' 2-6-0 with exhaust steam sound - actually went chuff chuff! great stuff at the time .. 1970 was the year if memory serves.

I did visit it once or maybe twice. I got a little 0-4-0 set with a battery based controller from Santa but it stopped working. I remember my mam brought me there on a dull dark day. The man advised us that the battery controllers were no good and to go for mains. Saved up and bought a small black controller. Still have the 0-4-0, wagons, controller and even the track.

Hi lads, just a question - do many of you remember the old modellers shop in Monk Place (I think it was) Phibsboro. The Mater Hosp was on RTE news this evening and brought back distant memories of going out to the North Circular with my Mum when I was young - must have been 1980/81ish. I remember scourging her to take me up to find the little Model Shop that was hidden somewhere down a side street. My mother eventually brought me and in the end I bought a silly looking platform canopy which I think may have been for a continental layout. If my memory serves me correctly a little old man ran the shop at that stage? Thanks all.

I used to visit it to buy track and points for my Hornby Flying Dutchman, (Britannia), and Pulman coaches, it was called Leinster model railway, I think. I also purchased a black "Electra". It was 1965 and 1966. Happy days!!!

I visited Leinster Models as a youngster in the '70s every saturday walking from Cremore Park, Glasnevin. Collected mainly Tri-angHornby UK outline in so far as pocket money/presents would allow. When I started secondary school, the whole lot (£50 worth) was sold off for £5 through the Evening Press ads.

I last visited the shop in about 1990 having been living away from Dublin for a number of years. I purchased a Lima catalogue then but only recommenced modelling when I joined Wexford MRC in 2002. Since then I developed "Ballybeg" a OO Irish layout and am currently working on Llangollen a UK outline N gauge layout. Realising some boyhood dreams along the way...

004.jpg

I found this catalogue in my collection whilst looking for something else recently! The shop stamp is self-evident! I think it dates from 1970! I have scanned a couple of pages to give a flavour of what was on offer back then! If anyone wants to see more please let me know.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12216[/ATTACH]

I found this catalogue in my collection whilst looking for something else recently! The shop stamp is self-evident! I think it dates from 1970! I have scanned a couple of pages to give a flavour of what was on offer back then! If anyone wants to see more please let me know.

Interesting! Does anyone know what the link with W&H was? I was in W&H in summer 1994. Don't think they lasted too long after that. Maybe a distributor of kits etc?

The W&H was a bit like Walthers in the States both a manufacturer and distributor the catalogue listed most of the kits and bits available in the UK. The catalogue used to be available from both Southern Model Railways & Monch Place. Kieran McGowan used to get a bit of free advertising by stamping everything sold from Monch Place

Thanks for that George. Converting for 1984 (£1 equiv to €3.50), things haven't changed that much

Intercity set £75= €250

currently, Eurostar set €220 (but this 2 coaches not 1)

MK3 coach £9.50=€33

currently, MK3 €32

Flying Scotsman £53=€185

currently, Scotsman new version €154 (railroad version €95)

Edited by Weshty