New Silver Fox Models

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Via Tourneo here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2911-Dublin-toy-amp-train-sale

Silver Fox are launching an all-new version of the B101 SULZER in 5 liveries (Original Silver; Green: Black: Black/white/orange and Black/orange) and I hope to have a small number in stock for the Stillorgan show on 16/02/14. Also new from Silver Fox is the G601 Deutz original version in 4 liveries (Silver; Green; Black/white & Black/white/orange)

Anyone have more details?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have the very first few production examples from Silver Fox ( 2 x Sulzer and 2 x G601) on my stand at the Dublin Toy & Train Sale at Stillorgan on Sunday 16th. February 2014 and they will be for sale; many more to follow as a quite large order has gone in and the full range with be available for the Northdown show in April. These first ones are being completed now and sent to me early next week. I also have large stocks now of all other Silver Fox Irish products as recently, two large orders were delivered to me.

cant wait to see did john g et the curves right un the cab front....seems a little flat when i blew up the pic (hopefully its a bad camera angle!) - but time will tell.....love the Deutz!

It does look worryingly flat when the image is enlarged. It would be a pity, as otherwise it looks good. Also, it's hard to imagin that John would make an almost identical error on this model as he did on the Metrovicks.

It does look worryingly flat when the image is enlarged. It would be a pity, as otherwise it looks good. Also, it's hard to imagin that John would make an almost identical error on this model as he did on the Metrovicks.

He generally cant get many models right. As long as the gullible keep buying them and all that

Bear in mind, though - for accuracy - only G601-3 were ever silver or green. Those painted thus had chassis of the same colour, not black. And green ones had large cabside numeral, but never a "snail". G601-3 were, in black days, the only ones with the number painted of the radiator front. These three were always black - I am 99% sure only the later G611-7 ever had tan as well.

The model is of the later ones, thus silver or green is inaccurate for them, as is operation on a pre-1962 scenario layout.

Are those prototypes shown in the photos above grey or silver? Maybe just the photo......

Absolutely excellent looking models though.

Edited by jhb171achill

One thing i notice that can be picked out from the models, even at small size, on the Sulzer, is that the tablet catcher recess at the cab doors is not deep enough, and does not have the chamfered/angled edge. An odd mistake to make given the plethora of photos knocking about. Face does look flat, but some photos of the real thing suggest a flatness at certain angles, and more angular at others. Wait and see i spose...

Looking closely at the "G", it seems an accurate enough model, though there us possibly slightly to great a curve on top of the front of the bonnet. But with the windows of that design, it's a G611 he has modelled, not a G601. Thus, as stated above, both the silver and green liveries don't apply.

On a more positive note, I'd say the G611 type, as modelled, is of more use to the modeller as there were more if them, and they were used Ina wider sense, including, of course, passenger workings on the Loughrea branch. Apart from the Newmarket and Banagher goods for a short time only, the G601 trio were only used for shunting, and very little at that.

Has anyone here got the G611 from Silverfox? I don't think I've seen any mention of them on the site. Also, I know there were differences in the actual G601 and later G611 type, but was there enough difference to be noticeable in a model?
which I suspect is the same

I've got an unbuilt raw one fromDC-Kits which I suspect is from the same master. I understand the master was prepared by Mike Edge but I do wonder if that incorporated Worsley Works etches.

which I suspect is the same

I've got an unbuilt raw one fromDC-Kits which I suspect is from the same master. I understand the master was prepared by Mike Edge but I do wonder if that incorporated Worsley Works etches.

Mike Edge does knock out some really nice stuff. I wonder if that's why the G looks a cut above the rest of the Silver Fox stable?

Apart from the Newmarket and Banagher goods for a short time only, the G601 trio were only used for shunting, and very little at that.

And Castleisland!

601 v 611

601 is shorter in length, 20' 8" versus 21' 2",

cab windows front and back different,

different cab door handrails,

cab is constructed on 601 in two halves, with beading horizontally covering the join just under the cab windows,

engine exhaust cowl on front of cab is flat and square on 601 but somewhat cone shaped on 611,

no marker lights on 601 front and rear,

no vacuum pipes front and rear on 601,

as no vacuum system on 601, the isolation valve underneath the left hand cab attached to the framing on the 611 type is missing,

front footsteps are different on 601, also 611 type has a cut-out in the running plate at the front steps, but 601 does not,

front side bonnet doors are solid on 601, but have a grill on 611.

Correct!

The G611 class travelled as far as Ballina, Dundalk, Shelton Abbey, Tralee, Cork, and Galway. They covered beet shunting duties at Mallow, Thurles and Tuam from time to time, the Loughrea branch, and even PW duties on said branch. There was talk of trying them on the Ballinrobe branch before it closed but this never happened. Had it done so, there would have been two lines using them on passenger and mixed services/

G601s were less versatile due to slightly lower power and no vacuum brake. Initially, they had been tried on the Fermoy - Mitchelstown line as well as Banagher and Newmarket. The closure of all three of these lines by 1963 reduced the 601's duties. I think they might have been used to push things about inside Inchicore works the odd time.

Naturally, on a layout, there's no reason why they couldn't power a De Dietrich set!!!

Detailed differences by BSGSV there, very valuable for modellers.

One final livery detail. If you're modelling a G601, don't base the livery on G611 in Downpatrick. Apart from the fact that none of the 611 class ever carried green, the livery itself is wrong. When the initial trio carried green, the frames were green as well, not black. The cabsides carried a large number and no "snail", not the small numbers with small "snails" as depicted.

Rumours abounded in some circles that G611 was delivered in green and repainted black before entering traffic. This is not correct: I have seen a photo of all seven lined up outside Inchicore on delivery, with cardboard covers on the windows and no numerals on any of them; all in grey undercoat awaiting painting. G611 was never green, still less the ITG version it carries.