Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

Did multiple working require the presence of a physical electrical/electronic connection between the two locomotives? I'm hazarding a guess that it may be the socket inboard of the light cluster (on 144) in this photo?? It is not present on grey or B'n'T 121s but seen in general terms in IR & IE liveried 121s. Is there an extensible connector or a connecting lead kept somewhere on each loco?

Yes a cable was connected between both locos.

A pair of 141's connected

177+170.jpg

A pair of 121's connected

134+124.jpg

The same would relate to a 141-181 + 121.

Rich,

May have been that a second 121 came to assist with the train and happened to be facing the other way. Wouldn't have been a problem until they reached the other end when one would have to be turned. Only advantage in being faced opposite ways already would be to speed up the run around

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm sure that was the case. When coupled to a a baby GM it would make absolute sense that the 121 would lead one direction and the baby the other. My only observation was that when the baby led, the cab height of the 121 would be higher than the coaching stock in the 'middle' of the formation. Yes, would be a nice photo to see though.

Anyway isn't a 121 technically a baby GM too?

Dive I never said or thought you were disagreeing about anything. I thought a pic of the train would contribute to the thread as it is an interesting topic. With the standard of these fantastic models we should be running them as prototypical as we can in as many of the formations they ran in. This year some of us will be able to do that.

Rich,

Incidentally, a livery point on 121s. With no multiple fittings before the grey livery disappeared, a grey and yellow one would never have been seen paired with anything, unless it broke down and was being rescued!
Am i right in saying, in their early years the were used more often on freights? Heard that somewhere, but it could be complete nonsense

No, GSR, they were on passenger duty from the word go. One of their earliest main line forays was in fact on the (pre-DD!) "Enterprise".

At the bottom of page 24 of "Rails through the West", 122 can be seen heading B124 - both cabs forward - about 1973. Both have handrails. 122 is in "supertrain", while B124 is black'n'tan. The train of just 2 laminates and a "hot water bottle" are on the Ennis - Limerick service. While double heading of ridiculously light loads was common in later days, as "pairs" tended to remain paired (!), in those days that never happened at all unless the load warranted it. In this case, B124 has failed and 122 is towing it dead.

Yes a cable was connected between both locos.

A pair of 141's connected

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22207[/ATTACH]

Lovely shots there, Rich:tumbsup: Thanks for that and for the light and heavily weathered versions. I presume the numbers were decals on the locos. THe "1" on "177" seems to have peeled leaving just a shadow of its former self

141-181+121

Answer:

081.jpg

I wonder when Murphy Models will do the Mark2's in IR Tippex livery??

On his website it says he intends to release all 5 Mk2D variants in all liveries. So far only the Supertrain has had the 1st and composite variants. There has yet to be any IR MK2Ds released. Hopefully with the release of the re worked supertrain versions he will continue with all the rest.

Some smashing shots there, Rich. Learned a lot from this thread. I have so much more of an appreciation for 121s since it started.

Really looking forward to these babies coming out:dancing:

I agree such a unique looking loco. I'd bet the model will be stunning.

Rich,

Looks like window was replaced with some thing too?

I would say the window frame on 177 is just unpainted. NIR 112 sports a couple of cab windows replaced whilst on loan to IE, reportedly taken from a withdrawn Baby GM, and still sporting Tippex livery. The Murphy Models model of 112 has these windows in Tippex livery.

One of the replaced windows.

Snapshot 1 (17-Jan-16 17-28).png

I would say the window frame on 177 is just unpainted. NIR 112 sports a couple of cab windows replaced whilst on loan to IE, reportedly taken from a withdrawn Baby GM, and still sporting Tippex livery. The Murphy Models model of 112 has these windows in Tippex livery.

One of the replaced windows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22275[/ATTACH]

I have a MM0112 myself. That's a great move to include these minor livery 'discrepancies'. Good excuse to use her on a CIE based layout:trains:

I picked up 112 myself for the same reason,its been seen pulling tara's,cement,cravens etc so its nice to have on the layout.

It basically went everywhere and did everything except the Sligo line. 113 was no stranger either hauling bulk cements to Cork and hauling Mk2 and Mk3 sets around the same time 112 was on loan.

Edited by Railer

That's for the Hasler speedometer

For anyone whose interested I think it's this

Unknown-2.jpeg

The Hasler® Optical Pulse Generator

The design of the Hasler® Optical Pulse Generator has been made suitable to resist most extreme mechanical and thermal stress.

The technology is based on an optical system that operates in the infrared range. It is possible to have two different frequencies per revolution and up to six electrically isolated sensors.

The pulse generator delivers the signals for measuring and recording the distance as well as the speed, for wheel slip and slide sensing, for various control and safety functions, train safety system, etc.

Due to its accuracy and reliability, Hasler® Optical Pulse Generators are used for different signalling applications, e.g. ETCS.

Edited by DiveController

A couple more photos of 121s on Ballybeg. The grey/yellow one on the turntable is a model with new transfers based on the original MIR white-metal kit, the others are made from the resin kit issued by MIR from 2008.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22282[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22283[/ATTACH]

Looks great! But I don't think they had red bufferbeams in the grey livery. I might be wrong.

Looking at these pics I would say that it arrived from Waterford with 134 leading. It came off the Waterford line and pushed the train into the junction where the locos were uncoupled, ran around and re coupled at the Mallow end with 144 becoming the lead loco.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22134[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22135[/ATTACH]

Rich,

Those are two absolutely cracking photos. Good lord but the 121 must have nearly a foot over the 141 roof profile...