Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

No, the 124 in ITG hands has little hope of running again. 134 has yet to be assessed by the RPSI until it is moved to Connolly shed along with 141 and 175. 134 has the best chance of seeing action again but it will be long, long time coming.

The ITG have no plans to run 124 at all and it's intended to just be used as a museum display piece when that gets built. It's a shame as they have acquired the last Mk3 PP driving trailer and cafe/bar coach which would have been ideal for 124 to haul on the DCDR.

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's a shame there are no preserved lines in ROI that heritage stock could be run on, even a segment a few miles long from a closed line. Ballybrophy to Limerick must be at risk of closure, hope it doesn't but if it did, it might be an opportunity for a well funded preservation movement along with some state grand aid, to preserve and operate a short section of the former line. Ballybrophy has the advantage that folks could travel to the heritage line by rail and just walk across the platform. Probably pie in the sky, as here in ROI we do not have a culture of state aid and support for such projects unlike the UK and NI.

• 1 month later...

Just recently ESU loksound have upgraded lots of there GM engine sound files for the american market. I took one and edited it to include irish 071 horn sound file and it sounds great with the new feature called full throttle. Sadly I cannot video it as I am in the middle of a house move but as soon as I get a chance I will. I think you will like it and the engine sounds are also available for the 121's.

Mr sound guy uses Zimo sound chips now.

A good few years ago he did use the ESU chips sold through DCC supplies.He sells direct now via his own site.

Thanks, Eamonn. Much appreciated.

Just recently ESU loksound have upgraded lots of there GM engine sound files for the american market. I took one and edited it to include irish 071 horn sound file and it sounds great with the new feature called full throttle. Sadly I cannot video it as I am in the middle of a house move but as soon as I get a chance I will. I think you will like it and the engine sounds are also available for the 121's.

Many thanks, NIR. Will look forward to that whenever possible.

The great thing about using ESU common sound files is that you don't have to pay for each loco's sound file. You can simply load it into the chip using the ESU Lokprogrammer and even update and modify the sound according to your needs.

Does this just give you greater access to customize the sound chips and does it make equipping ones fleet with sound any cheaper?

Incidentally, without getting too far off tread, I have a Bachmann Class 20 with a Loksound 4.0 which has an excellent sound for the Hunslet motor but I need some horns other than the BR ones. If anyone can suggest suitable files, I'm happy to get a Lokprogrammer. Thanks

Edited by DiveController

Does this just give you greater access to customize the sound chips and does it make equipping ones fleet with sound any cheaper?

. . .

Having initially been impressed and very enthusiastic about DCC sound, I have changed my own view about equipping a 'fleet' of model locos. I've found that running more than one sound equipped loco at the same time doesn't actually sound great, instead rather a confused noise blurred into one indistinctive 'din'. Also simulated 'doppler' effect not currently possible with DCC sound. The distant rumble of a GM loco and horn was very unique as was coasting 'rail' noise. So just personally speaking I won't aspire to fitting DCC sound to more than a few 'party piece' models including one of the existing 141 sound chip in a 121 when they become available. The concurrent sound issue seems a bigger barrier than cost.

Incidentally, without getting too far off tread, I have a Bachmann Class 20 with a Loksound 4.0 which has an excellent sound for the Hunslet motor but I need some horns other than the BR ones. If anyone can suggest suitable files, I'm happy to get a Lokprogrammer. Thanks

Unfortunately, the Lokprogrammer cannot alter the sound program on a decoder. To make any changes, you need to have the original sound programme, amend it, and reblow the decoder. For GM locos this is easy to do, as NIRCLASS80 says, you can download a suitable sound program from ESU, amend it as required, and load it onto a Loksound decoder. Apart from GM locos, BR locos are not available from the ESU library.

Unfortunately, the Lokprogrammer cannot alter the sound program on a decoder. To make any changes, you need to have the original sound programme, amend it, and reblow the decoder. For GM locos this is easy to do, as NIRCLASS80 says, you can download a suitable sound program from ESU, amend it as required, and load it onto a Loksound decoder. Apart from GM locos, BR locos are not available from the ESU library.

Correct. Also, each manufacturer's chip needs different equipment for re-programming. The original soundfiles are owned by the supplier companies.

What the LokProgrammer can do:

Change the sound saved on the decoder.

Setting of all digital parameters of the Loksound decoder such as address of the loco, operation speed, maximum speed, braking deceleration, brightness of bulbs etc; you can set all options with your computer very easily - no cumbersome entering of CVs (configuration variables) with your command station.

Rearrange your sounds and transfer it to the LokSound decoder.

You can use all sounds that can be downloaded to your computer hard disk.

Sound can be allocated to different events.

Additional sounds can be activated via function buttons.

Sound

With the LokProgrammer you can erase the sound data of any LokSound decoder as many times as you wish, and replace it with a different sound. To this end we offer on our homepage more than 200 different, fully matching sounds of various prototypes and locos for downloading on your computer. Also you can edit just parts of a sound project: You don’t like the decoder’swhistle? Just replace it with one of the many others. Suitable sources beside those offered by us, are in Windows *.wav format available. Sound – even voice or music is no problem for our decoders. With the LokProgrammer’s aid you use the entire flexibility and functionality offered by LokSound decoders.

What the LokProgrammer can do:

Change the sound saved on the decoder.

Setting of all digital parameters of the Loksound decoder such as address of the loco, operation speed, maximum speed, braking deceleration, brightness of bulbs etc; you can set all options with your computer very easily - no cumbersome entering of CVs (configuration variables) with your command station.

Rearrange your sounds and transfer it to the LokSound decoder.

You can use all sounds that can be downloaded to your computer hard disk.

Sound can be allocated to different events.

Additional sounds can be activated via function buttons.

Sound

With the LokProgrammer you can erase the sound data of any LokSound decoder as many times as you wish, and replace it with a different sound. To this end we offer on our homepage more than 200 different, fully matching sounds of various prototypes and locos for downloading on your computer. Also you can edit just parts of a sound project: You don’t like the decoder’swhistle? Just replace it with one of the many others. Suitable sources beside those offered by us, are in Windows *.wav format available. Sound – even voice or music is no problem for our decoders. With the LokProgrammer’s aid you use the entire flexibility and functionality offered by LokSound decoders.

I think that is what I want to do, change the whistles which are the problem. The engine sounds great and if I can leave the engine sound in there I'd be happy. I may want to fiddle with CV for momentum etc but that's another issue.

I think that is what I want to do, change the whistles which are the problem. The engine sounds great and if I can leave the engine sound in there I'd be happy. I may want to fiddle with CV for momentum etc but that's another issue.

Kevin, you can't change just part of the sound installed on the decoder, you have to reblow the whole thing, which means reinstalling ALL the sounds, which means you need a complete Class 20 sound project, which is where you can put in horns/whistles etc. of your choice.

Kevin, you can't change just part of the sound installed on the decoder, you have to reblow the whole thing, which means reinstalling ALL the sounds, which means you need a complete Class 20 sound project, which is where you can put in horns/whistles etc. of your choice.

ok, understood, David. Thank you for that. But no Class 20 is available as I understand it, so I'm stuck with it. Engine sound only I guess for the Hunslet. Thanks all for your comments and for taking this off thread a little.

Back to 121s, no word on the MM website yet, been watching for the commemorative item and the any word on the grey & yellow to appear

While sounding similar to the 141s the 121s had a bit more of a 'whine' to them in my experience. This video depicts 134+144 working a laden beet down to Mallow's Beet Factory and then subsequent shunting in very poor rail conditions.

You can also hear the knocking at the beginning of the video as the pair build brakes, this is coming from the air compressor on 134. All 121's compressors produced this 'knocking' sound as they were building air / vacuum.

While on the subject of the 121s is there any news or updates regarding the 121s or their production? Are we likely to see any pre-production photos or models by the end of the year?

Hi

In this months Railway Modeller- Rails of Sheffield are advertising an ESU decoder with Class 20 sounds for £89.50.

With the LokProgrammer one imports the sound project from the decoder, then changes or adds sounds to the project and then writes the project to the decoder.....

Eoin

Hi

In this months Railway Modeller- Rails of Sheffield are advertising an ESU decoder with Class 20 sounds for £89.50.

With the LokProgrammer one imports the sound project from the decoder, then changes or adds sounds to the project and then writes the project to the decoder.....

Eoin

You can't import a sound file from a decoder. You need to be in possession of the original file.

You can't import a sound file from a decoder. You need to be in possession of the original file.

That's correct- I installed the system last night to take a look at the software to see, I miss read their sales text!

Though you do get a lot of sound projects on the instillation disk which has plenty of diesel locos that can be edited for uploading to a decoder.

Eoin

That's correct- I installed the system last night to take a look at the software to see, I miss read their sales text!

Though you do get a lot of sound projects on the instillation disk which has plenty of diesel locos that can be edited for uploading to a decoder.

Eoin

Yes, and the website has a large selection of files from various countries which are free to download. No UK outline but there's plenty of US locos which is good if you model Irish!

Is there anything there that would work for your DART project?

Divecontroller,

DC Kits have an excellent range of soundfiles for British locos. They may be willing to write a bespoke file to your specifications if you just want to change a few horn sounds. Might be worth contacting them....

Yes, and the website has a large selection of files from various countries which are free to download. No UK outline but there's plenty of US locos which is good if you model Irish!

Is there anything there that would work for your DART project?

Eoin and IT, thanks for all of that which has ben immensely helpful

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Word is that a provisional date of Christmas 2016 has been given to the release of the first 121s which will be the first grey and yellow livery and the final IE livery with more to follow in 2017. Corrected Supertrain Mark IIS and 201s in latest livery are also on the way.

First, the news everybody has been waiting for. Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intended that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

Oh I'm getting just a shade impatient waiting to operate a 121 model.

Had been wondering if pairing one of these . .

IMG_7587.jpg

. . . with one of these might carry me over until MM (Murphy Magic) release a 121?

IMG_1829.jpg

It would be a far cry from the detail and correct precision of an injection moulded MM, but may pass the 'duck test' running around the layout in a B&T livery paired with a 141

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound: 121 class model to play with in the mean time ;)

Edited by Noel

Hi Noel, great to see you're working on a model, but not sure it fits in on this thead as it's to do with the Murphy 121 and you have also posted it elsewhere. Cross posting is discouraged. Thanks.

Apologies Fran, no prob. :) That's why I made short post here with the other 121 related posts, but a link to the long post on the workbench thread. Noel

Btw, any news on likely ship date for the Murphy Model 121?

Apologies Fran, no prob. :) That's why I made short post here with the other 121 related posts, but a link to the long post on the workbench thread. Noel

Btw, any news on likely ship date for the Murphy Model 121?

Why don't you contact Murphy Models and ask them.

Rich,