Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

On 6/21/2014 at 1:10 AM, richrua said:

I want to get an 071 . Funds only just allow for one. My heart says black and orange. Or maybe black and silver. BUt my head keeps saying grey. Cant decide.

I had the same dilemma regarding the forthcoming “A”s and 121s.....

They’re all good!

Personally, what would decide it for me would be a comparison with what else was on my layout - whichever livery fitted best to suit what I already had....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

Just wondering as we are nearing the end of May if a price for the 121s had been announced anywhere?

Both Rails and Hattons are quoting £145.50 which equates to €162.38 at today's rate. Rails say the full MMRP is £167.5 which equates to €186.95.

Edited by spudfan
More info...

19 minutes ago, spudfan said:

Both Rails and Hattons are quoting £145.50 which equates to €162.38 at today's rate. Rails say the full MMRP is £167.5 which equates to €186.95.

Marks Models suggested models may not arrive until July due to CV-19 shipping. 

51 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I reckon the price will be nearer €200 people
Hattons cannot know the price yet as MM has not got his final invoice from China

Ouch! €200 may not go down too well in a post CV19 world in recession. 

1 hour ago, Noel said:

The problem is that the dollar always gets stronger in times of global turbulence and crisis ..............the dollar being the world reserve currency of choice - how long that situation will survive the Tango Kid is another question - but that is the situation for now.

China demands payment in dollars - which are costing us Eurozone and sterling dwellers more now. Also throw in the fact that transportation of any means is selling at a premium too..............

I had budgeted about 200 yoyos per model from the start - so Im not surprised - it not that much more - they'll sell grand anyway

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Too right or they will be shelf sitters for a bit after the rush of the people still working pick theirs up. 

I hope Dave's getting us ready and flying a kite for the future Mr Dyer stall Prices LOL!

Best price will win my bid, here or over the water.

• Like 2

Dunno if you know but Kernow operate a Loyalty Scheme. I am in that and its handy when you have some points built up so can take it some coin off the next big purchase. Check their website for more info.

How does it work?

Every time you make a purchase through your loyalty account, a point is awarded for each pound that you spend.  For example spend £1 and receive 1 point, spend £53 and receive 53 points.  Each point is worth 1p of loyalty credit.  Once you have reached 500 points this is automatically converted to a loyalty credit.  You can spend this credit immediately or you can continue to collect points and let your credit build.  Please note that points are not awarded for postal charges.

I would imagine around the €200 mark can’t be far off nowadays. Look at the prices of Uk and North American models, these markets are massive compared to the Irish one yet the prices have been rising well above inflation for the last few years. 

We can’t expect Paddy to be produce models at 2014 prices. I for one will buy what I can afford and support this fantastic effort by a one man band. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know/have been informed as what is to happen regarding those who have placed pre-orders 'in-store' in Marks Models? 

Many of you maybe aware that old practice (before all current restrictions) was that you could put your name on a list in-store at the Hawkins Street branch (and maybe the others) to pre-order a specific MM loco and the kind staff would put one aside for you and  call you when it came into stock and you would then go into pay for/collect it. 

Given the bricks and mortar shops will most likely continue to be closed when the first batch come into stock (and maybe beyond) is the advice to pre-order on their website now or are they going to operate/honour this list format somehow? 

I have 121's on preorder with Marks.

I gave them a call in Greenogue last week - just to check in - I placed the order over a year ago - There is no problem - They will be contacting everybody who placed preorders with them and are on the list - when your particular models arrive in stock.

I'd say Marks will open their stores from June 8 in the Phase 2 with suitable arrangements for trading in the Covid 19 era - Even if - god forbid  - the stores are still closed - Greenogue is HQ and everything will be distributed from there

Be Patient as while the guys have given us shipping dates - arrival dates are another thing altogether with the demand massively outstripping capacity in Shipping - the models Im buying are in the 2nd and 3rd batches so realistically Im not expecting to hear from Marks until the end of August at the earliest.

Give them a call in Greenogue on 01-4124829.

Edited by Edo

So, six years on from the start of this thread we finally have sight of the 121 class locomotives,

I certainly am delighted that they did make it into production and Paddy Murphy must be highly commended for his perseverance with the project through difficult times,

Thank you Paddy for producing such an iconic Irish locomotive, 2020 for me will be one of the best years for Irish railway modelling and again thank you to the lads at IRM for continuing on producing such fine rolling stock to compliment all the Irish locomotives, roll on the 001 class.....:cheers:

:dancing:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Edo said:

I have 121's on preorder with Marks.

I gave them a call in Greenogue last week - just to check in - I placed the order over a year ago - There is no problem - They will be contacting everybody who placed preorders with them and are on the list - when your particular models arrive in stock.

I'd say Marks will open their stores from June 8 in the Phase 2 with suitable arrangements for trading in the Covid 19 era - Even if - god forbid  - the stores are still closed - Greenogue is HQ and everything will be distributed from there

Be Patient as while the guys have given us shipping dates - arrival dates are another thing altogether with the demand massively outstripping capacity in Shipping - the models Im buying are in the 2nd and 3rd batches so realistically Im not expecting to hear from Marks until the end of August at the earliest.

Give them a call in Greenogue on 01-4124829.

Thank you very much for that Edo. This is why I asked, just incase someone here had queried already and you have been most helpful. 

I'm also quite happy to give them more time, as you say even once they arrive, it's another story getting things ready for collection/dispatch/shelves. 

10 hours ago, Blu Bianco said:

Does anyone know/have been informed as what is to happen regarding those who have placed pre-orders 'in-store' in Marks Models? 

Many of you maybe aware that old practice (before all current restrictions) was that you could put your name on a list in-store at the Hawkins Street branch (and maybe the others) to pre-order a specific MM loco and the kind staff would put one aside for you and  call you when it came into stock and you would then go into pay for/collect it. 

Given the bricks and mortar shops will most likely continue to be closed when the first batch come into stock (and maybe beyond) is the advice to pre-order on their website now or are they going to operate/honour this list format somehow? 

According to Mark's Models June newsletter, which I recieved today. They are planning to reopen both Dublin stores on Monday the 8th of June, and Cork on the 9th.  

16 hours ago, JasonB said:

According to Mark's Models June newsletter, which I recieved today. They are planning to reopen both Dublin stores on Monday the 8th of June, and Cork on the 9th.  

Thanks Jason. 

Can imagine the queues when they come into stock!

If I was them I'd try to arrange an approx collection time at the time they're calling people, to try and space things out for everybody. But then we know human nature and understandably most will want to get their hands on them as soon as possible 😁

20 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

Does anyone know the dimensions the model will be? Is it about 16cm if it is sticking to 1:76 strictly or a bit off from this?

I only have a tight little shunting layout so trying to plan around extending headshunts etc. if needs be.....

I will fit anywhere a Murphy Model baby GM 141/181 fits. Similar length if not a shade shorter.

Edited by Noel
  • Thanks 1