Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

Fantastic model. Nose and cab shots really show how the shape and build has been captured. I think 129 might edge it for me as I like the two small windows over the bonnet. At last the 4 GM's from Illinois are modelled to the highest standard. Excluding see through grilles (though they are etched ) due to the chassis block and rotating axle cups the babies are still one of the best and to be honest we don't need an all new tooled updated model. I often thought about cutting out the chassis block to make the grilles see through. I might revisit it again as I have a spare chassis and motor. The attention to detail on the 141 -181 class models includes the side grilles which are verticle on a 141 and horizontal on a 181. The door louvers on the bonnets are in different places on both classes also captured on the models. Anyway back on topic I can see the 121 Class loco lights approaching in the distance, not to long until they arrive and it's double heading with a 141 on a Cement train.

Rich,

• Like 2

I will be buying mine local. It's more about saving a few quid and supporting local businesses especially now more than ever. I can't abide this boasting about it cost me ten or fifteen € less getting it online from abroad. If we don't support local businesses we lose them and I for one don't want to see that.

Rich

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, RedRich said:

I will be buying mine local. It's more about saving a few quid and supporting local businesses especially now more than ever. I can't abide this boasting about it cost me ten or fifteen € less getting it online from abroad. If we don't support local businesses we lose them and I for one don't want to see that.

Rich

Fair comment Richard, but in fairness the difference is about €100 on four models, and that's not boasting just stating the obvious. We as consumers benefit from competition. I normally buy local as much as possible even if the price is a little bit higher, but when the saving is more significant one has to be prudent. I noticed Hattons do not discount Accurasale products. €100 is more than 'saving a few quid'. On the subject of buying local I find often the cost of postage in Ireland can be quite high, say you need one small item for €5  but the postage is more than the item. ID models in Killcole do free postage in Ireland which is great for small orders like a tin of glue, paint, or blades, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Hopefully posting this for the last time
Try and stay with the programme Rich

1. IE Cl. 124,129,134 shipment date mid-June.
  2. CIE grey Cl. 121,135 CIE black 125,131 mid-July
  3. CIE S/train Cl.126,132.  IR Cl. 127,130, 133. End Aug.

Quick question

How long is shipping taking from China at the moment? - with PPE and medical taking all the limited airfreight slots......are we talking weeks or months by boat?

Genuinely interested!

24 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Rich

Grahams did a good deal on the 141's a few years back if you bought a few together. If the local retailers did a deal on a 'Bundle' then I am sure it would pay off and custom would stay at home, Say 5-10% of the first 3 if you buy together, custom will come back then. €65 notes is quite an amount to save on the first 3 locos if you shopped around.

Don't think anyone is boasting, Noel is just putting the info out there.

As for Sea Freight, Month and a bit depending on Rotterdam Transfer. We are not seeing any delays but Cost hikes, the urgent containers are coming by Rail.

• Like 3

The bottom line comes down to sales for Mr Murphy. If Mr Murphy gets his models sold then that is mission accomplished for him. I bought MM 071 and 201 locos from Irish suppliers and not even a thank you slip included in the order. If someone can save €20 on a MM 121 loco then that is a €20 discount on the forthcoming "A" class which they might not have been able to buy otherwise. This benefits the IRM contingent.

121 and "A" class locos will sell to a specific group of people. It does not matter how many of these models a retailer puts on the shelves they will hardly be an impulse buy. A father going into a retail shop with a son or daughter to get some "trains" is not going to buy either the 121 or an "A" class loco. They have a specific customer base.

The C19 will have had an effect on this regarding people's finances. If it comes down to buying from Rails or Hattons  or not buying at all because of the saving this is still a benefit to Irish Modelling as the sale has been made.

Edited by spudfan
  • Like 4

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about prudence or saving a few quid. I have always supported local or Irish traders and always will. I budget for what I need and if it keeps people in work then the ends justify the means for me.

Rich

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Get most of my models from Dave B, known in this parish as Wrenneire. Absolutely sound to deal with. He has sourced many long sold out MM models for me over the years, and keeps my wants list in his little black book should he come across a collection for sale. Rumour has it that he may well have a second black book, but that's for people on his hit list 😎

• Like 3
  • WOW! 2
  • Funny 1

Shop Local to Keep Local

We are privileged to have such a  wealth of of experience  and exceptional levels of individual and collective services on our own doorstep.

This  dedicated community has served us well over the years and deserves every ounce of support we can give them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

By all means shop local, but we live in a competitive world and the real question is "why is there such a disparity in price?" 

You are looking are two completely different markets  when you compare the Republic of Ireland and the UK, weather we like it or not Ireland is a high  priced economy , higher wages , higher costs , higher Vat etc. What we do however lack among a lot of dealers here  is a deal culture which is very much part of modern trade  , perhaps retailers here would do better if they were prepared to offer a better priced based on increased numbers , example if you buy six we will do a special price etc . Very similar to IRM doing there bundle deals on wagons . 

• Like 3

These are very tempting - but the question I ask myself is how many would one need to accurately model the Cork Road in ~1985-7? Particularly given the withdrawal of many 071 in '86 and consequent replacement by 'A's, Yanks and Baby GMs.

I reckon, realistically, it's the whole fleet, no? ;)

But then that would be true of all classes wouldn't it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedRich said:

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about prudence or saving a few quid. I have always supported local or Irish traders and always will. I budget for what I need and if it keeps people in work then the ends justify the means for me.

Rich

Glad to hear Mr Q that your extensive generosity and benevolence will be saving the local trade here in Ireland. Abide with me just for a moment with this thought "Look after the pennies and pounds will look after themselves". solomen.gifThere seems nothing selfish, nor disloyal about prudently saving money by shopping around for the best value. My post simply highlighted some useful and truthful information, nothing more. Good evening. :)  

PS: We'd better get used online buying cause there may be no car dealerships left in Ireland in 15 years time, when cars are bought and serviced online as Tesla have proven and done sucessfully for the past six years, disrupting an entire industry with GM, Ford, VAG and Toyota all following behind in their wake. We may not like change nor disruptive enterprises but ultimately the consumer benefits. IRM are a highly successful case in point selling their superb products direct with no distributers nor dealers between the consumer and production, no middle men. We've all been buying holidays, accomodation and low cost flights direct for years instead of supporting local travel agents. Consumers have a right to save their disposable income and do not morally 'need' to support any 'for profit' business. 

4 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Get most of my models from Dave B, known in this parish as Wrenneire. Absolutely sound to deal with. He has sourced many long sold out MM models for me over the years, and keeps my wants list in his little black book should he come across a collection for sale. Rumour has it that he may well have a second black book, but that's for people on his hit list 😎

I have a second one Noel
There is one name in it
He knows who he is, not man enough to answer me 🤬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ironroad said:

By all means shop local, but we live in a competitive world and the real question is "why is there such a disparity in price?" 

Because Irish retailers are sticking to the manufacturers RRP, while the boxshifters are slashing the price as they sell models in much higher volumes across all their product lines to a much larger market.

• Like 4

I am happy to say I have never bought from hattons or rails. Not even hornby. Ever since I started modeling 3/4years ago I have always went to Marks Models. And if I can not get the item in question u go to my local art and hobby shop. Don't think i will buy from hattons or rails probaly because I would rather wait 2/3 Months for a show for than buy it and wait less than a week even if the model I am looking for is not at the show in question.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Glad to hear Mr Q that your extensive generosity and benevolence will be saving the local trade here in Ireland. Abide with me just for a moment with this thought "Look after the pennies and pounds will look after themselves". solomen.gifThere seems nothing selfish, nor disloyal about prudently saving money by shopping around for the best value. My post simply highlighted some useful and truthful information, nothing more. Good evening. :)  

PS: We'd better get used online buying cause there may be no car dealerships left in Ireland in 15 years time, when cars are bought and serviced online as Tesla have proven and done sucessfully for the past six years, disrupting an entire industry with GM, Ford, VAG and Toyota all following behind in their wake. We may not like change nor disruptive enterprises but ultimately the consumer benefits. IRM are a highly successful case in point selling their superb products direct with no distributers nor dealers between the consumer and production, no middle men. We've all been buying holidays, accomodation and low cost flights direct for years instead of supporting local travel agents. Consumers have a right to save their disposable income and do not morally 'need' to support any 'for profit' 

Like I said above I couldn't care less about the kind of inane ramblings in certain posts like that. Maybe you can by a new skirt and heels for yourself with the money you save. 😀

Rich,

14 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Like I said above I couldn't care less about the kind of inane ramblings in certain posts like that. Maybe you can by a new skirt and heels for yourself with the money you save. 😀

Rich,

laugh.gif

In the words of dick emery "Oh you are awful but I like you"

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

Because Irish retailers are sticking to the manufacturers RRP, while the boxshifters are slashing the price as they sell models in much higher volumes across all their product lines to a much larger market.

3 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

You are looking are two completely different markets  when you compare the Republic of Ireland and the UK, weather we like it or not Ireland is a high  priced economy , higher wages , higher costs , higher Vat etc. What we do however lack among a lot of dealers here  is a deal culture which is very much part of modern trade  , perhaps retailers here would do better if they were prepared to offer a better priced based on increased numbers , example if you buy six we will do a special price etc . Very similar to IRM doing there bundle deals on wagons . 

Gentlemen, both of you are making a distinction between an Irish and an UK market when in fact there is only one market for models of Irish interest and that market is not based in a single country. And in that context the question "why is there such a disparity in price between retailers, wherever they are based? is still valid.  I can think of no reason Irish retailers cannot compete with UK retailers across the board and should be doing so in the interests of survival.  The concept of expecting RRP is long dead in retail.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

Gentlemen, both of you are making a distinction between an Irish and an UK market when in fact there is only one market for models of Irish interest and that market is not based in a single country. And in that context the question "why is there such a disparity in price between retailers, wherever they are based? is still valid.  I can think of no reason Irish retailers cannot compete with UK retailers across the board and should be doing so in the interests of survival.  The concept of expecting RRP is long dead in retail.

Hi Ironroad,

I’m sorry, but the points are valid. Compare our product line in number to any of the big British retailers and it becomes clear how they can reduce sales margin across their inventory and make money whereas a smaller retailer like ourselves cannot. It’s very simple economics. Also, VAT is 3% lower and Sterling is in flux to say the least. 

However, I’m delighted to report that many people have supported us with 121 purchases and we are very thankful for that. At the end of the day; it’s your money, it’s your choice. I’m glad people choose us, as it shows we are doing something right and we can support Murphy Models AND put the money earned into tooling new Irish outline models 🙂. That’s a win for the hobby.

Cheers

Fran

• Like 5

I’m a big believer in the idea that we’re all entitled to our opinions on what is good or bad value, whether we are prepared to pay more locally than online, or whatever.

For what it’s worth, for me - I’m a very strong believer in supporting local shops and businesses, especially in these times when a combination of the Covid and brexit are putting more pressure than ever on local businesses.

I’ve bought stuff on eBay and from Hattons, but only when it’s something that Mark’s Models, IRM, Murphy or sellers are the shows don’t have.

I do the same with household shopping.

Let’s support our own people first.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

F38A83FD-CBCF-4C1C-919A-6322D44DA26D.jpegIn all seriousness, there’s a multifaceted argument here on the economics. I don’t buy RTR because of what I model, and so it’s in my interest to support small suppliers - it’s rather inconvenient to pick up small selections of brass washers etc from the ‘box shifters’. So I don’t mind paying a small ‘insurance premium’ on purchases if you like, simply to keep shops open so I can buy a single small pot of paint when I need it rather than paying £4 postage from a large impersonal store. Large retail outlets are fine for simple big ticket items - not so handy when you want a packet of static grass or a stick of low melt solder. I am currently very fortunate in that the tiny English village we live near has a model railway shop in it - with another 20 mins away. A sound fiscal case can be made for shopping there rather than online.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Keitheg6 said:

Never mid saving 20 beans on a loco, there's a mk2 Galway livery gen van currently at 190+ postage and still getting bids also the Lima 3 mk2 Galway  livery set for nearly 500 beens as we speak, the world has gone mad 🙈😂

I’d be hanging onto my beans on that one!