Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

At the price point they are being sold at replacing plastic hand rails with metal ones should not be necessary. I've been in this game since 1984 so I understand about models, detailing and pricing.

Any model will need to be checked and serviced during it's lifetime so knowing how to handle a model is a prerequisite for keeping your model trains running. I run my locos so they do get used. 

My point about the plastic hand rail is that it stands out as a plastic item and takes away from the model.  I know we have been waiting on these for a long time but I do not think they should be above criticism if it is fair, appropriate and honest. 

I have not seen the item in the flesh so I am only going by my impressions gained from the photographs.

There it nothing wrong per se in using plastic rails but in this case they do seem over sized thickness wise and just do not look right. No model is perfect and compromises have to be made. Perhaps it is just the colour of the plastic contrasting with the grey body that does not gel.
I have bought 141/181, 071 and 201 locos so I have been a supporter of Murphy Models. I think I will reserve final judgement on these until I see other liveries.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, spudfan said:

At the price point they are being sold at replacing plastic hand rails with metal ones should not be necessary. I've been in this game since 1984 so I understand about models, detailing and pricing.

Any model will need to be checked and serviced during it's lifetime so knowing how to handle a model is a prerequisite for keeping your model trains running. I run my locos so they do get used. 

My point about the plastic hand rail is that it stands out as a plastic item and takes away from the model.  I know we have been waiting on these for a long time but I do not think they should be above criticism if it is fair, appropriate and honest. 

I have not seen the item in the flesh so I am only going by my impressions gained from the photographs.

There it nothing wrong per se in using plastic rails but in this case they do seem over sized thickness wise and just do not look right. No model is perfect and compromises have to be made. Perhaps it is just the colour of the plastic contrasting with the grey body that does not gel.
I have bought 141/181, 071 and 201 locos so I have been a supporter of Murphy Models. I think I will reserve final judgement on these until I see other liveries.

The handrails on the babies are also plastic as are the 071 and 111 models. I can see how it would stand out a bit more on the yellow ones. Not a deal breaker though.

Rich,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

I think they look quite good, better than some of the American outline diesels which is high praise indeed. If they are that bothersome modellers can always replace them with brass wire.

they look good on the models dont think painted wire would have worked 

i see that irm has now sold out of 5 of their 121s with the greys gone already paddy will definatly be happy

• Like 2

I have to reluctantly admit, that I am a full blown 'rivet counter' (which I receive weekly counselling sessions for). Even so, I think the handrails look fine. Looking at the photos, I think it's more to do with the yellow against the grey which gives the impression they look slightly oversized. Very impressive model overall, roll on the IR IE versions :x  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, irishthump said:

Wow! Didn't take long did it? 🙄

I am entitled to have an opinion on these models as much as any one else. I have stated that judging by the photos the hand rails in question just don't do the model justice. Hornby fitted metal hand rails in much the same place to their class 58 and they have stood the test of time with no damage to the rails on any of my class 58s. Heljan went with a plastic rail on their version and again it detracts from the model.

Fair dues to Mr Murphy for all he has done but nothing is sacrosanct. The model has see through grills as Paddy said that is what is expected of a model in today's market. Great effort went into getting the grills to look as good as they do but the high standard in that and other areas of the loco just show the hand rails up in a poor light.

I f you care to check back in the posts regarding the 121 locos you will see that I voiced these concerns as soon as I saw the photos.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spudfan said:

I am entitled to have an opinion on these models as much as any one else. I have stated that judging by the photos the hand rails in question just don't do the model justice. Hornby fitted metal hand rails in much the same place to their class 58 and they have stood the test of time with no damage to the rails on any of my class 58s. Heljan went with a plastic rail on their version and again it detracts from the model.

Fair dues to Mr Murphy for all he has done but nothing is sacrosanct. The model has see through grills as Paddy said that is what is expected of a model in today's market. Great effort went into getting the grills to look as good as they do but the high standard in that and other areas of the loco just show the hand rails up in a poor light.

I f you care to check back in the posts regarding the 121 locos you will see that I voiced these concerns as soon as I saw the photos.

It's probably more the timing of your critique, and how quickly and willing you are to do so without having the model, that is irksome.

At the same time, feedback is very important, and if there's another model released in five years featuring handrails, this feedback may help towards a manufacturers decision on hand rails.

• Like 1

To be honest, I think the prototypical original livery is the culprit here - it does not scale down well perhaps - and certainly doesn’t lend itself to detail and contrast.  The decorated samples of the 121 look fantastic in B and T but this anaemic greyness does them no favours. Some subtle weathering of panel lines etc will quickly bring out the true greatness of the model and blend the handrails in. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 7

On 9/11/2020 at 12:19 PM, spudfan said:

This I don't get. You do realise the model is MOSTLY plastic? I really don't see how this particular part on the model looks any worse for being made out of plastic.

• Funny 2

On 9/13/2020 at 2:01 PM, Galteemore said:

To be honest, I think the prototypical original livery is the culprit here - it does not scale down well perhaps - and certainly doesn’t lend itself to detail and contrast.  

Albeit a very much darker shade of grey, I would think that this is precisely the reason that grey steam locos often look odd to many people.

• Like 1

Look as consumers any of us have a right to express measured and factual disappointment with any companies products if we feel it is both fair-minded and warranted, and constructive. We are entitled to have opinions as long as they are expressed politely and it is even handed. I have had a number of minor issues with my two 121s, but chose not to expresss them on here for two reasons a) not to be negative on the very week these much awaited models had arrived and b) for risk of being flammed for pointing out anything. Overall these are really superb models and a little weathering may cure many personal tastes. I'm delighted to have them and didn't want to rain on the parade even with some minor truths. First world problems, but I do understand and am respectful of others opinions especially when moderately and fairly expressed. For me the glass is 105% full rather than the 110% I might have thought, just minor issues I managed to resolve which I won't go into. Its a nice problem to have. Been playing with B134 all morning shunting my heart out with the little beauty. Happy days. Hyper excited to get my hands on B127 and B124 when they are released.

Edited by Noel
lexdysia typo
  • Like 7

Good post. There will be plenty of time for a more in-depth discussion of mods or small improvements people may wish to embark upon (I may well replace the speakers for example for a double iPhone 6s job, for example). I'm looking forward to hearing the sound belt out of the open vents. Where is the factory speaker located within the body actually?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Albeit a very much darker shade of grey, I would think that this is precisely the reason that grey steam locos often look odd to many people.

Well quite. I well remember seeing 186 when it was first repainted like that. It just looked wrong, and yet it was actually quite accurate....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Good post. There will be plenty of time for a more in-depth discussion of mods or small improvements people may wish to embark upon (I may well replace the speakers for example for a double iPhone 6s job, for example). I'm looking forward to hearing the sound belt out of the open vents. Where is the factory speaker located within the body actually?

Not sure where the speaker is placed in the 121’s but contrary to popular belief it’s best to have a completely sealed body shell with one small speaker opening than to have large open sections in the shell.

• Informative 1

46 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Well quite. I well remember seeing 186 when it was first repainted like that. It just looked wrong, and yet it was actually quite accurate....

Indeed - because grey was such an unusual livery, especially when it covered every detail on a loco, it did look odd to those who weren’t used to it - i.e. virtually 99% of people! Despite it being grey on arrival at Whitehead, what possibly didn’t help was a belief at Whitehead that everything CIE has to be black!

186 was “passed” as accurate by at least two individuals who were very familiar indeed with 1930s - 1950s Inchicore.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Murphy Models RPSI B134 gets an outing in a theoretical 1967, but with one of two time travellers in the back ground. Supposedly on the line from Waterford to Mallow via Dungarvan.  Flying snail green coach for@jhb171achill and authenticity with that time. Must get myself some IFM flying snail green Laminates to run with this beautiful model loco. 

• Like 7

Jayzus, @Noel, you made a right mess of that. The RPSI will never forgive you for rolling their good work back 50 years 😁

I have some IFM laminates and TPO as you know but I have been holding off on getting a large order of them in the hope that we might see some top quality ones emerge. Problem is now that the 121s and As will be available in early liveries, I'll need something in several different liveries silver, green BnT 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 8/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, ganderino said:

Any updates on the rest of the 121’s coming?

On 19/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Latest news from Murphy Models is that the  CIE  black’n’tan (MM0125, MM0131) and IR 121s (MM0127, MM0130, MM0133) will ship at the end of Sept.

The CIE Supertrain (MM0126, MM0132) and IE (MM0124, MM0129, MM0134) will ship at the end of Oct.

We are still awaiting to receive our stock of chips from Murphy Models and will ship them out as soon as they come in.

order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/murphy-models-class-121-locomotive

Cheers!

Fran

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

On 19/9/2020 at 7:52 AM,  Warbonnet said:

We are still awaiting to receive our stock of chips from Murphy Models and will ship them out as soon as they come in.

order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/murphy-models-class-121-locomotive

Cheers!

IRM seem to be sold out of all the DCC and sound chips already 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Yeah, and Marks Models only have the 567's left:

https://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=36831

Seriously, that's crazy. You can only insert one per loco after all and the 121s have not sold out yet.

I'd wager that IRM and Marks have by far the largest allocation on the Irish market (especially since there are not that many model shops left).

So much for the conversations on supporting Irish retailers when they're sold out well before time, although it's possible there may be more coming from ESU not ready yet.

I guess we'll have to support the box shifters out of necessity (if they have any of course). :facepalm:

The sound chips for other locos seemed to hang around for a while. I suspect there has been an increase in the number of DCC layouts and the number of modelers interested in DCC sound previously just on DCC. I feel a sudden uptick in sound chips from wheeltappers etc.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DiveController said:

So much for the conversations on supporting Irish retailers when they're sold out well before time, although it's possible there may be more coming from ESU not ready yet.

Ah, I'm sure that there are more on the way from ESU.  It wouldn't have made sense for MM to order millions of chips in one go, then have that money tied up in something sitting on the shelves for a few years.

These chips probably would suit the 141's / 181's as well, so there are a lot more locos out there in need of chips, aside from the 121's.

Reading some of the posts on here, in particular from @murphaph
, DCC is a different animal nowadays. It's gone from being Windows 3.1 running on DOS 6 to being its own OS, so there has to be far greater demand than there was in the old days.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, spudfan said:

I am afraid judging by the photos the plastic rails just don't cut it for me.

Works for me. These are the best Irish models ever. The plastic rails are very easy to realign and easily push back into correct position if dislodged by handling or unpacking. They seem the perfect solution to me as they retain their shape when pushed back on. For weathering I took these off and then put them back on, and they were straight and square as a die when returned to position. Pristine colours on any model can look stark, but that's only because they have not spent 10-20 years out in the weather and sun. The lightest of gentle weathering can greatly help as evidenced by other models that had bright yet correct coloured plastics in the past. These handrails can be removed and put back on much easier that other locos. Just love these locos. I had a few minor issues with two or my grey 121s, but were easily resolved and Murphy Models with apologies and decency expeditiously replaced one loco which had a problem with the built in sound speaker. Superb after sales service. Happy Days and thank you Murphy Models.

IMG_7908.jpg

PS: I find the best way to handle these locos especially B134 with the walkway rails and B125 is similar is to hold and lift the loco by the fuel tank. I've had so much fun already driving these locos with early 1960s train formations both goods and passenger with sound, heavy loads, light loads, coasting, braking and really prototypical driving. So many prototypical lighting options too. 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...