Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

In that pic, it's not so much two shades of orange, as one is faded....

There were several variations over the years, but only several (as with 1959s green), but the difference wouldn't have been anything like as stark as it appears to show.

Just for clarity!

Well, if Murphy's make a 121 in lime green and tartan, I'd still be interested. As long as it's genuine LLSR tartan, of course...

I was looking at a different pic, Glenderg....

The orange in those two above is much the same, as you'd expect.

That's exactly what I'm saying JB.

They were supertrain - Then they had the white stripe added, so they were a mish mash of liveries.

There were a few of the 121's that had this whilst the majority got the lighter MK3 orange, hence why you have a situation of IR 121's looking violently different to IE 121's.

Cellulose paint doesn't fade to that extent either.

You're not wrong, dave182. I was just going to post the same thing myself. 121 is darker/orange and 129 is lighter/yellower in every shot. What would the reason for this be? One a full repaint, the other a partial repaint from previous ST livery.

Personally I thought the 121 color to be more prototypical prior to weathering of the livery

That's what I was dying to express (somewhat ineloquently, obviously) earlier. I think that the lead 121 in Glenderg's photo is in ST livery, the second is also in ST livery but has had the Tippex and IR 'points' logo added only.

I the previous photo 129 is probably also in ST livery with white additions, while 121 is likely a full respray in to 'proper' IR orange/tippex/IR points

Just looking at the vents on the sides below the walkways of the 121s, some have them and some don't.

I think I have only seen them on the right hand side of the locos and they may be on the other side of the lead 121. I might be wrong. Will try to look at some photos, and I have no idea what they were for

Edited by DiveController

I think I have only seen them on the right hand side of the locos and they may be on the other side of the lead 121. I might be wrong. Will try to look at some photos, and I have no idea what they were for

I think they were to allow cooling of the brake lines, but don't quote me on that!

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2899-MkIII-Push-Pull/page2 This thread from our site talks about the launch of the mkIII push pull set in 1988. It is mentioned that locomotive 124 was briefly painted orange on top/ Dart green on bottom (as per the mock up on the float!) Anyone here remember this? If it was did it ever make it out of Inchicore, however briefly? Another livery to contemplate?!

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2899-MkIII-Push-Pull/page2 This thread from our site talks about the launch of the mkIII push pull set in 1988. It is mentioned that locomotive 124 was briefly painted orange on top/ Dart green on bottom (as per the mock up on the float!) Anyone here remember this? If it was did it ever make it out of Inchicore, however briefly? Another livery to contemplate?!

A photo of that livery appears in the new Irish Railway Rambler book. It shows the loco at Connolly Station, so it did make it out onto the mainline.

I was fortunate to have this pair about 20 years ago in Claremorris,

130 in tippex IR livery working with the recently repainted 135 in IE livery....yet another livery combination.

[ATTACH]22067[/ATTACH]

The same pair that became the 1st 121's to visit Derry in 1996

I didn't see this here, apologies if it is already posted.

This seems to have been posted on the Murphys Models site 2nd of January

http://www.murphymodels.com/

Happy New Year from Murphy Models

As you will have noticed, 2015 was a rather quiet year for Murphy Models, mainly through circumstances beyond our control. However, we will try to make up for it in 2016 .

First, the news everybody has been waiting for - Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in

Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intendeded that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

Re-vamped MkII coaches in Supertrain livery are due to arrive mid-year. These will be an improvement on the original consignment following prolonged discussions with the factory! Note that these will have new fleet/catalogue numbers (to be advised) and are brand new models - not repaints.

Also on the horizon will be short runs of Class 201 locos in the interim livery and the latest Enterprise livery. Delivery schedule to be finalised.

Due to popular demand, we will produce the Craven restaurant car as fleet number 1509. No delivery date is available at present.

Finally, we will have a unique 1916 commemorative item. ETA June. You will have to wait for further details.

Any schedules referred to above are not cast in stone. Due to €/$ volatility, it is not possible to indicate prices at this time.

Watch this space!

Still holding out hope for 216 in Belmond livery seeing as we are getting 8209 in the interm 2015 Enterprise livery. More Mk3s will be needed and alot of modifications.

Please no more 201s :) Lets look forward to the 121 and then only after they arrive start dreaming about a quality A class RTR.

Nothing wrong with releasing more 201's, need a few more to replace the auld lima ones ;) .

Wish people would relax a bit, we re getting the 121's pretty soon, the a class will eventually come out just give it time.

Quite surprised that there wasnt a new 141/181 in the announcement as they re starting to get a little scarce ( 146 would be nice in her new Downpatrick livery ;) )

The thing is the 201 is made, the more liveries it's released in the more it sells and the more profit is made from the model overall.

Interesting about Cravens 1509, I'm assuming a different factory will be making this Cravens so seeing how it stacks up against one of the finest ever RTR 00 scale models ever released will tell a tail.

Again with the new Mk2s, they are not going to be just repaints, reading between the lines it could well be new tooling with a new mold fixing the window height. One can hope anyway.

The thing is the 201 is made, the more liveries it's released in the more it sells and the more profit is made from the model overall.

Interesting about Cravens 1509, I'm assuming a different factory will be making this Cravens so seeing how it stacks up against one of the finest ever RTR 00 scale models ever released will tell a tail.

Again with the new Mk2s, they are not going to be just repaints, reading between the lines it could well be new tooling with a new mold fixing the window height. One can hope anyway.

What out of interest makes you assume that 1509 will be made in a different factory.

Rich,

What out of interest makes you assume that 1509 will be made in a different factory.

Rich,

The fact that no other models besides the Cravens and 141/181s came from that factory. The 201s and Mk2s were made elsewhere together and that place is now gone kaput and the 071s from another factory.

Why go back to the first place now? That's what I'm getting at. The hold up with the Mk2s being sorted and the 121s going into production was PM looking for another factory that was up to standard and were not at risk of going under.

Marvellous news on the immenent arrival of a 121. Or two.. Just showed herself the link... For Chrimbo prezzzie 2016 !!!!!! . However, I do often think about workers rights in China ... And 1916 of course.... And you know.... Let's not moan on too much about a delayed model train

A limited edition boxed set to commemorate the forthcoming 40th anniversary of the 071 class would be nice too-071 in original tan livery with a couple of either Cravens or Mk2 coaches in the set.

That would be sweet, I always like to have the class leaders in the livery they were delivered in. A pack with a running number 071 in GM golden brown with 3 revamped supertain Mk2s for just under €400, it would be a great collectors item too.

That would be sweet, I always like to have the class leaders in the livery they were delivered in. A pack with a running number 071 in GM golden brown with 3 revamped supertain Mk2s for just under €400, it would be a great collectors item too.

Its a good idea, but it would not sell. When CIE 071's and Mk2's are still easily available in separate form these would sit on the shelf

The fact that no other models besides the Cravens and 141/181s came from that factory. The 201s and Mk2s were made elsewhere together and that place is now gone kaput and the 071s from another factory.

Why go back to the first place now? That's what I'm getting at. The hold up with the Mk2s being sorted and the 121s going into production was PM looking for another factory that was up to standard and were not at risk of going under.

As far as I am aware the 071's came from the same factory as the Cravens and babies. The buffers and other parts on the 071's were reused from the babies even though they (buffers) are not prototypical for the 071 class. It would be nice to have that clarified if anyone on here can confirm it.

If new tooling to correct the window positions on the MK11's (which would be surprising) is done I could see it alienating lot's of folks who bought the original models. Personally I think it would be a good move, but as I have said a very surprising one too.

Rich,