Chassis for 001 Class

Rate this topic

Dhu Varren

Much has been said over the last few months about a suitable chassis for the Silver Fox 001 Class kit, and the running qualities of the Lima/Hornby Deltic chassis.

With an 001 Class kit waiting to be built, I decided not to take the easy option by using the aforementioned Deltic chassis, but to construct a chassis of my own. This was to have all wheel drive and pickup, flywheel motor and DCC sound.

The project started by constructing a chassis frame out of brass. The floor was made from brass sheet, about 1mm thick, and the sides from 6mm brass strip. The floor pieces were cut to shape, to be a snug fit into the body, and the sides soldered on. The ends of the floor were shaped to the inside profile of the body ends, so that they rested on the lip behind the buffer beams. This meant that the bottom of the floor was almost flush with the bottom of the bodysides.

Pic 1.jpg

Stage two was to prepare the bogies. They were originally from an Athearn SD40 loco, but the sideframes were from something else. A hole was drilled in the centre of what had been the Athearn swivel pad. A spacer made from a piece of 6mm brass strip was also drilled, and superglued to the swivel pad, ensuring that the holes lined up. The holes were then opened out to the size of the head of an 8BA screw, which would be the pivot pin.

Pic 3.jpg

Two lengths of 6mm brass strip were cut to fit exactly between the sides of the chassis, and an 8BA screw fitted in the centre of each. The screws were cut flush with the top of the strip, and the heads on the bottom would become the pivot pins for the bogies. Once the required height of the chassis had been decided, the cross pieces were soldered in place.

Pic 2.jpg

The bogies were then fitted to the chassis, and all dimensions checked.

Pic 4.jpg

The bogie sideframes were removed, and a brass frame, using 6mm brass strip and brass tubing, fabricated for each side. These were then fitted to each bogie. The original Athearn wheels, which are notorious for getting dirty, were replaced with Bachmann plain disc wagon wheels, which are just about the right size.

Pic 5.jpg

Although the Athearn bogies have the correct off-centre wheelbase for the 001 Class, the sideframes supplied with the kit do not. However, the difference is not too noticeable, and, despite the fact that I have a ‘thing’ about axleboxes not lining up with axles, I can live with the discrepancy.

The sideframes were then tidied up, and bits that should not be there were removed. More bits made from plasticard will be added later, once the mechanical part of construction is fully finished, and the cosmetic part of construction is under way.

The sideframes were then temporarily fitted to one bogie with double sided tape, the frame marked, and which has yet to be trimmed to shape.

Pic 6.jpg

The chassis was then assembled, the motor being placed in a bed of silicon sealer using bits of plasticard under the flywheels to support the motor with about 1mm of silicon under it, until the silicon cures. This provides a good solid rubber mounting for the motor, and absorbs any vibration from it. If needs be, the motor can be easily removed at a later date, and refitted with fresh silicon. Any excess silicon can be removed by cutting with a craft knife.

The motor is from an unknown Bachmann loco. The driveshafts are Athearn, with one end fitted with the end of a Bachmann driveshaft.

Pic 7.jpg

The chassis was then fitted with some flat steel strip from B&Q for weight. This was cut to length and screwed in place. Countersunk screws had to be used as the sides of the chassis were a snug fit inside the loco body. Due to the width of the motor, there was only enough clearance for a single strip each side, but at the ends, clearances allowed a double thickness. The extra steel strips were fixed in place with superglue.

Pic 8.jpg

Finally, the chassis was fitted with a 21 pin circuit board from a Bachmann locomotive, and a speaker in a suitably modified enclosure.

Pic 9.jpg

The chassis was tested on DC, without a decoder, on a rolling road, and performed well with no excessive noise. The following road test on DCC was also very good, and the chassis (not yet fitted with couplings) propelled seven coaches up a 1 in 75 gradient with ease. It also traversed complex pointwork without any hesitation. More weight will be added once the underfloor fittings are in place, as I will fill the space in between with a solid lead block. Then we will see what it’s maximum hauling power is.

Not sure yet IT. I am working my way through the ESU library looking for something that sounds remotely like an 001 class, and then add horns recorded at Downpatrick. Have you any suggestions?

I've spent some time looking too, to me the A class didn't really sound like the other EMD locos. There are 2 files that I could find that have Sulzer prime movers that I think are in the ballpark anyway. Try files no: 56451 and 54457.

The ESU sound files for the EMD 12-645 non-turbo 74443 is probably the closest you will get to an 001 Class. The As were rebuilt with a 12 cylinder non-turbo engine similar to that used in EMD American Switchers and some export diesels. The tone of the engine is noticeably different to the 16-645 engines used in American road locos.

Its good to see a model A Class with correct unequal wheelbase trucks. I assembled a whitemetal MIR A Class about 20 years ago using the trucks and drive from an SD9 I did not realise that the SD40 trucks were closer.

The ESU sound files for the EMD 12-645 non-turbo 74443 is probably the closest you will get to an 001 Class. The As were rebuilt with a 12 cylinder non-turbo engine similar to that used in EMD American Switchers and some export diesels. The tone of the engine is noticeably different to the 16-645 engines used in American road locos.

Its good to see a model A Class with correct unequal wheelbase trucks. I assembled a whitemetal MIR A Class about 20 years ago using the trucks and drive from an SD9 I did not realise that the SD40 trucks were closer.

I'm assuming the difference between the engine note on the A's compared to EMD in house products is down to the different exhaust set ups? Did the A's use what was already in place when re-engined? Alternatively it could be the genny it was mated to. The English 57s for instance sound different to our 071s despite having the same engine down to Brush alternators and silencing. They seem to idle at a much higher RPM for instance.

The chassis is a great job btw, simple but very effective.

I'm assuming the difference between the engine note on the A's compared to EMD in house products is down to the different exhaust set ups? Did the A's use what was already in place when re-engined? Alternatively it could be the genny it was mated to. The English 57s for instance sound different to our 071s despite having the same engine down to Brush alternators and silencing. They seem to idle at a much higher RPM for instance.

The chassis is a great job btw, simple but very effective.

Yep, the As retained their original exhausts after the engine transplants. :)

That is a lovely and smart piece of engineering work on that chassis.

Would there be any interest in an version of same in 0.4mm brass? Along with the bogie bits and whatever else? I could do both c and A classes.

That would be great Des, but what did you have

in mind as regards motors.I don't know much about

the motor bogies such as Black Beetle and Tenshodo

bug.Could these work for the Co Co A class?.

That would be great Des, but what did you have

in mind as regards motors.I don't know much about

the motor bogies such as Black Beetle and Tenshodo

bug.Could these work for the Co Co A class?.

Great work, David! I'd be interested in an A/C chassis, Des. Have held off on buying them for now. Same concerns as Eamonn, would have to be reasonably idiot-proof to mesh with a motor for me.

Superb job David,really fantastic piece of work.Would love to see this in the flesh at the Perth show in June if you are down

Yes, I will be at the Perth show with the Moray MRG and 'Craigellachie'. Will bring along the 001, and maybe give it a whirl on a Scottish layout. That should raise some eyebrows.

Yes, I will be at the Perth show with the Moray MRG and 'Craigellachie'. Will bring along the 001, and maybe give it a whirl on a Scottish layout. That should raise some eyebrows.

Great stuff David,look forward to seeing it. Bring your NIR GM and coaches and really get the tongues wagging!

Thanks for the suggestion about file 74443. As it happens I had already tried that one, but did not like the overall sound, and how it was put together, so I dumped it. I found that file 74460 sounds much better, and is put together much better, even though it is a 12-567. It will have to do for now anyway.

I checked up on the SD9 bogies and found them to be 46mm wheelbase, with the centre axle 23mm from each of the outer axles. The SD40 bogies are 47.5mm wheelbase with the centre axle 23mm from the leading axle, and 24.5mm from the rear axle. Just a shame the sideframes supplied with the kit have the centre axle exactly mid way, and not offset.

I've spent some time looking too, to me the A class didn't really sound like the other EMD locos. There are 2 files that I could find that have Sulzer prime movers that I think are in the ballpark anyway. Try files no: 56451 and 54457.

I checked up on those sound files, and although the sounds were reasonable, the sound programme was pants, with only 2 notches, and very little else. As I said earlier, file 74460 is much more comprehensive with 8 notches, even though the sound is not quite right, but I am working on that. As you say, the A class just don't sound like the other GMs.

I checked up on those sound files, and although the sounds were reasonable, the sound programme was pants, with only 2 notches, and very little else. As I said earlier, file 74460 is much more comprehensive with 8 notches, even though the sound is not quite right, but I am working on that. As you say, the A class just don't sound like the other GMs.

I didn't realise they were so limited notch-wise, I only listened to the files using the virtual throttle on the Lokprogrammer software. But like you say the sounds aren't too bad.

I just think 74460 just sounds completely wrong for the A class.

Are you thinking of modifying the sound file?

Drifting slightly off, but having watched many hours of DVDs on Irish railways to jog my memories of GM and MV loco sounds, I could not help but notice A class locos sounded rather tame and nondescript compared to the evocative and distinctive sound of the baby GMs notching up and down.

Drifting slightly off, but having watched many hours of DVDs on Irish railways to jog my memories of GM and MV loco sounds, I could not help but notice A class locos sounded rather tame and nondescript compared to the evocative and distinctive sound of the baby GMs notching up and down.

That's what I was thinking. The notching seemed much more gradual, maybe the throttle arrangement is different on the A class.

I didn't realise they were so limited notch-wise, I only listened to the files using the virtual throttle on the Lokprogrammer software. But like you say the sounds aren't too bad.

I just think 74460 just sounds completely wrong for the A class.

Are you thinking of modifying the sound file?

I agree that the sound is not right for the A Class, but it is better than nothing for the time being. I certainly would not buy a decoder with that sound on it.

I am experimenting with copying each individual sound file and running it through a Graphic Equaliser to change the sound of it, then rebuilding the sound programme. Have had limited success so far, but it is a time consuming task, and not high on my list of priorities at the moment.

I agree that the sound is not right for the A Class, but it is better than nothing for the time being. I certainly would not buy a decoder with that sound on it.

I am experimenting with copying each individual sound file and running it through a Graphic Equaliser to change the sound of it, then rebuilding the sound programme. Have had limited success so far, but it is a time consuming task, and not high on my list of priorities at the moment.

I look forward to hearing any results you come up with. And that's the beauty of having the Lokprogrammer; you can chop and change to your heart's content! And in the end the sound only really has to make YOU happy.

I totally agree Noel. I have spent hours myself listening to A Class locos, but still can't describe the sound. It is a much more mellow and deeper sound than the other GM engines.