Silverfox D Class Shunter

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Word on the street men

This model is a RTR repaint of a Bachmann 08.

Its not supposed to be an exact replica but rather a nice representation in the absence of a high-dollar high-quality prototype.

Liveries still has to be tweeked

Any comments would be greatly appreciated but please read the post above before you sharpen your knives

P3240002_zpsavij6g30.jpg

P3240003_zpsd6fixit5.jpg

PB230003_zpsowubu1im.jpg

PB230002_zpsq4msiq0d.jpg

PB230001_zpspiytvqg2.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm slightly disappointed by this. I thought, as a hobby (Irish scene), that we were past UK model re-paints. I understand the cost involved in a creating a new model, but for me this further damages my opinion of Silverfox. It all seems a bit... Lazy.

Would a detailing kit be possible as an add-on?

Silverfox have some of the best resin casting using some of the worst masters. So if they bothered to do the research (which they don't, seemingly ) they would have a winner. Slide libraries and the IRRS would have helped get the basic livery patterns right.

Not only is it lazy Dave182, but it shows a level of contempt and arrogance toward those who model the irish scene which i find staggering. The ordinary joe who paints and decals his own is more than fine, but an established manufacturer at this kind of stroke?

There would be no point in a detailing kit either. The vent placement on the sides are vastly different from the 08. It would be but lipstick on a monkey.

A sad day for our little scene. R.

As most here would know, I'm a stickler for accuracy - especially with liveries, as a poor representation of one can destroy a model. And I have been critical of Silverfox before on account of very poorly researched and highly inaccurate liveries on their repaints of BR railcars (or should that be DMUs?) into what is supposed to be GNR livery. Even the ownership details on their blurb show little understanding of what companies actually operated these AEC cars.

But I'm going to come out in favour of this "D" class. The numerals are completely the wrong font, and surely to goodness they must know that it's BR who painted connecting rods red, not CIE. The white flashes on the end of the back version are entirely the wrong shape.

White handrails are wrong too. Surely that's obvious. Research, folks, just a little basic research. But fixable.

But these matters are easily rectified for the black version. (Red con-rods!!!!!)

The green version is a different matter. The shade of green doesn't look right.

Some people, to be fair, haven't the wherewithal to buy a scale model, or a hand made one, so I will poke my head above the parapet to suggest that there may still be a place for SOME BR "repaints".

And if the elementary inaccuracies above are fixed by the buyer, inaccuracies notwithstanding, I'm inclined to think it's not the worst sin I've ever seen. A nice enough little thing.

But - to our friends in Silverfox - really, the most basic, elementary research, like looking at a few colour photos, would eliminate this needless criticism. Otherwise, the modeller will just do his own, more accurate, "BR repaint". The above silly errors may be described as on a par with the "modelling cancer" (as far as Irish stock is concerned) of black ironwork and chassis on goods stock!

Just my tuppence worth, and please be assured that despite appearances, this is meant as constructive criticism.

Word on the street men

This model is a RTR repaint of a Bachmann 08.

Its not supposed to be an exact replica but rather a nice representation in the absence of a high-dollar high-quality prototype.

Liveries still has to be tweeked

Any comments would be greatly appreciated but please read the post above before you sharpen your knives

P3240002_zpsavij6g30.jpg

P3240003_zpsd6fixit5.jpg

PB230003_zpsowubu1im.jpg

PB230002_zpsq4msiq0d.jpg

PB230001_zpspiytvqg2.jpg

Nice. I'd buy one of each if the euro price is sensible.

Being a bachmann chassis with three all wheel pick up axels means it should be a quality runner at low speeds over point work which is essential. If it doesn't run right perfect looks matter nil.

Edited by Noel

Nice. I'd buy one of each if the euro price is sensible.

Being a bachmann chassis with three all wheel pick up axels means it should be a quality runner at low speeds over point work which is essential. If it doesn't run right perfect looks matter nil.

Hmmm! Having just watched a few YouTube videos of Hornby and Bachmann RTR class 08s running, I would now only buy the Hornby chassis models. The Hornby 08s and 09s seem to be significantly better low speed runners, smoother and more reliable at crawl speeds over insulfrog pointwork which is what one needs for a shunter. So a change of mind. It's normally bachmann chassis that run better but in this case Hornby seem to win on running quality and on detailing quality (ie for BR versions). This thread is motivating me to buy a Hornby and repainted it!!!

Hmmm! Having just watched a few YouTube videos of Hornby and Bachmann RTR class 08s running, I would now only buy the Hornby chassis models. The Hornby 08s and 09s seem to be significantly better low speed runners, smoother and more reliable at crawl speeds over insulfrog pointwork which is what one needs for a shunter. So a change of mind. It's normally bachmann chassis that run better but in this case Hornby seem to win on running quality and on detailing quality (ie for BR versions). This thread is motivating me to buy a Hornby and repainted it!!!

The problem with the Bachmann model (and it's a pity because the rest of it is sweet) is the wiper pick up arrangement. It tends to get clogged with dirt resulting in poor running. They can be adjusted and modified to make a much better runner but the Hornby model is the better one to be sure. Buy a 2nd hand Hornby, have someone paint it for you and I'd wager it could be even cheaper than the Silver Fox...

The problem with the Bachmann model (and it's a pity because the rest of it is sweet) is the wiper pick up arrangement. It tends to get clogged with dirt resulting in poor running. They can be adjusted and modified to make a much better runner but the Hornby model is the better one to be sure. Buy a 2nd hand Hornby, have someone paint it for you and I'd wager it could be even cheaper than the Silver Fox...

The Hornby on the videos also seem to be geared better for slower speeds. I'd have expected the reverse. I might even try painting it myself, but with a bit of poetic license. I like the idea of a white line down the side of the body like the 1960s B&T 141s just to give the model more visual appeal on the layout even if not prototypical it may look at home. (running for cover now) :)

Remember its only a hobby, girls

Whatever floats your boat

The Railway Police will not knock on your door and point out as they are dragging you away in handcuffs that "that loco never ran in that livery etc"

Hopefully John in Silverfox will take the more poignant points and use them to improve the model

I personally would love to see the battery boxes in the correct positions

Jaysus Richie! Take a chill pill would ya?! So long as it says on their website that it's an 08 respray they are perfectly entitled to sell it. It's a very neat spray job too!

Spot on Wrenneire, I'm putting buffers on and SD9 and spraying it Irish, the Railway Police will have me for that for sure!

Police.jpg

Well I'm not a rivet counter. :) It is only a hobby afterall. Personally I don't worry if models are not absolutely prototypical. If they look the part and more importantly run well in trains they float my boat. If we think about it most of us are in serious danger from the 'scale police' anyway by running 4mm scale models on only 16.5mm guage track!!! I do like the overall look of the black liveried D class look-a-like respray in Dave's post. As already said, if it were the Hornby chassis I would probably buy a pair (i.e. better slow speed running over insulfrog points). I'm quite happy with the look and feel of the SF models running on our layout so far. Personally speaking, they do nicely what they say on the tin, but that's just me. Perhaps I'm not a real modeller, but I do love running model trains. :) Happy days all and each on to their own.

Jaysus Richie! Take a chill pill would ya?! So long as it says on their website that it's an 08 respray they are perfectly entitled to sell it. It's a very neat spray job too!

I'll take a pill if you go to specsavers. See the wasp stripes showing through on the green one? The over spray on the eau de nil stripe? Oh a lovely job it is, my eye.

Hi Dave, only suggestion I can think of is to respray the Hornby model instead of the Bachmann chassis as the Hornby appears to be a better runner. Noel

Just spotted these interesting posts:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1574-D301-Class

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/reply/6155/Heir-Flicks-little-projects#.VS1T4qazLww

The Hornby 08 is the best one out there (super detail job mind you' date=' not the ancient old trainset one missing the outside frames!) but the Bachmann one is nearly as good. Bachmann also do the outside door strapping variation of the 08 which I believe the CIE D's had as well?[/quote']

Well I'm not a rivet counter. :) It is only a hobby afterall. Personally I don't worry if models are not absolutely prototypical. If they look the part and more importantly run well in trains they float my boat. If we think about it most of us are in serious danger from the 'scale police' anyway by running 4mm scale models on only 16.5mm guage track!!! I do like the overall look of the black liveried D class look-a-like respray in Dave's post. As already said, if it were the Hornby chassis I would probably buy a pair (i.e. better slow speed running over insulfrog points). I'm quite happy with the look and feel of the SF models running on our layout so far. Personally speaking, they do nicely what they say on the tin, but that's just me. Perhaps I'm not a real modeller, but I do love running model trains. :) Happy days all and each on to their own.

I strive to model what I see in the prototype and the real railway, does that make me a rivet counter. I want to run prototypical models of the prototype not repaints, does that make me a rivet counter. Please explain to me what or who is a rivet counter Noel. Some of us we take the hobby seriously and marginalizing people into a group and calling them rivet counters is a bit below the belt on a forum where all people of all tastes are welcome and not pigeon holed.

Rich,

It reminds me of a scene I saw many years ago with a Lima 08 tarted up to look like a D. In fairness the guy had added some extra bits like extending the roof over the cab and an attempt was made to give a good representation of the different boxes. It feels a little like if they repaint a Heljan class 33 into CIE liveries for their next Irish model. A much better looking and running model than the Lima effort, but still fictitious at the end of the day. It does nothing realistically in pushing the hobby forward in a positive way which is a bit disappointing

Rich,

I strive to model what I see in the prototype and the real railway, does that make me a rivet counter. I want to run prototypical models of the prototype not repaints, does that make me a rivet counter. Please explain to me what or who is a rivet counter Noel. Some of us we take the hobby seriously and marginalizing people into a group and calling them rivet counters is a bit below the belt on a forum where all people of all tastes are welcome and not pigeon holed.

Rich,

Rivet counter Rich :banana:

The Hornby on the videos also seem to be geared better for slower speeds. I'd have expected the reverse. I might even try painting it myself, but with a bit of poetic license. I like the idea of a white line down the side of the body like the 1960s B&T 141s just to give the model more visual appeal on the layout even if not prototypical it may look at home. (running for cover now) :)

Why not go the whole hog and add the tan band at the bottom of the D class,then it would be a prototypical livery that they carried.

Rich,

Apologies, I was merely stating that I myself am not a 'rivet counter' (i.e. accurate scale modeller) and was not casting aspersions on folks who do take prototypical scale modelling seriously, nor those who have fine scale modelling skills building, adapting and acquiring acurate models. I can assure you I was not marginalising anybody. I assumed my personal modelling preferences or tolerances would be in the minority of those who enjoy this hobby. Unfortunately, discussion on SF related topics seems to trigger polarised debate that gets misinterpreted and unintentionally causes offence. As I said 'each on to their own'. I admire those who 'strive to model real railways' accurately despite my own preference for more simple train operations. For me most models that passes the duck test 'do what it says on the tin'

Duck test: 'If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.'

Thats enough cliches for one night. :) Vive la difference

Why not go the whole hog and add the tan band at the bottom of the D class,then it would be a prototypical livery that they carried.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've only found photos of plain black versions on d'internet. The b&t is my favourite livery (i.e. black with mid level white stripe and thin lower tan band).