Scary the money involved

Rate this topic

Liverbird81

I was just looking at some layouts in that forum and it caught my attention the vast collection of rolling stock some modellers are privaliged to own Tara Junction being one of a few and it dawned on me how much money it must of cost some modellers. I know that there a lot of skilled modellers who can scratch build and kit build to a professional standard but still lots of money still spent I'm sure. How much has been spent if some were to think back I wonder ??😓😓😓😓

I was just looking at some layouts in that forum and it caught my attention the vast collection of rolling stock some modellers are privaliged to own Tara Junction being one of a few and it dawned on me how much money it must of cost some modellers. I know that there a lot of skilled modellers who can scratch build and kit build to a professional standard but still lots of money still spent I'm sure. How much has been spent if some were to think back I wonder ??

It's up to the person how he/she spends their money. If they didn't have it they wouldn't spend it. There are more expensive hobbies out there, classic car restoration for example. You can have fun with a set for 60 quid if that's all you can do.

I do feel a tad uncomfortable about the topic as how people spend their money to acquire their collections is ultimately their business and may not want attention drawn to it. However, I'll leave it open for now if the discussion takes a sensible route. I certainly don't want to think about what I've spent over the years personally!

Liverbird81 are you thinking as to the possible consequences of anyone modeller on here stating anything like what he has spent, "INVESTED IN " been disclosed to his partner, wife, "she who must be obeyed" & who at all times is told "it's for our future Dear" that this is "for our partnership in life's future ongoing investments Dear " & " it's only CHEAP STUFF so we'er making a saving Dear" :facepalm:

It's true that the hobby is not cheap. However the larger collections have probably been built up over very many years and the cost per year for the enjoyment that is recieved by the modeller and by others viewing the layout is also very considerable.

Many other ways to spend your money (less wisely, in MY opinion, it's just an opinion) I have not idea how much a pach of cigarettes is but I'm going to guestimate 5euro just for arguments sake, that almost Eur2,000 a year or nearly Eur18,000 over a decade. very nice layout acquired for that amount and unlikely to fall into ill health due to being run over by any model under G scale.

Diving, is equipment intensive, with consumables, boats, Nitrox, location etc.. I think trains & layouts are acquired over time depending on individual resources and level of interest, and other than causing the occasional fracas or debate on here, I think you could do much 'worse'

EDIT: As for wives, I'm pretty sure they know exactly how much most of the modellers spend and choose to turn a blind eye to it, to a greater or lesser extent. The cost of keeping you out of her kitchen, PRICELESS! (for everything else, there's Mastercard)

Edited by DiveController

I have a second job for one evening a week from which I put away a few quid for the trains. I try to keep it within that 'pocket money' ... I have become reasonable at saving up for more expensive things.

There are some things in the hobby that don't seem worth the money

however, the two best things I have bought and most rewarding and value for money are the Murphy Models 141 s and my NCE powercab. Well built, work impeccably.

I have a second job for one evening a week from which I put away a few quid for the trains. I try to keep it within that 'pocket money' ... I have become reasonable at saving up for more expensive things.

There are some things in the hobby that don't seem worth the money

however, the two best things I have bought and most rewarding and value for money are the Murphy Models 141 s and my NCE powercab. Well built, work impeccably.

Haven't selected a DCC controller yet but I think you'll have a lot of support for those choices. That a perfect example of what I mean about your level of interest or committment to your hobby; some of the time devoted to funding it from a separate pot. Well done you!

Apologies warbonnet my intention was not to make anyone feel uncomfortable just merely to strike up a conversation to help bring back fond memories from child hood through to adulthood I understand and I think that most wood agree that my intention was not to make any body uncomfortable my apologies

Funny enough I was recently chatting to a fella who gave up the smokes and spent the money collecting trains. You should see his collection!!!!

I rest my case!

As for the cigarettes £8.76p which is £10 a day as you've spent the ten pound note

Seriously?! That's at least Eur10. I'm spending more on trains;)

Edited by DiveController

As someone who makes stuff, I probably have the smallest stock collection here! Time is the enemy. That said, I know folk who have collections of stock valued in the higher margins of 5 zeroes. They don't see it as a fabergé egg investment for their dotage. They just really get a kick out of the hobby. I wouldn't trade places with any of them!

As someone who makes stuff, I probably have the smallest stock collection here! Time is the enemy. That said, I know folk who have collections of stock valued in the higher margins of 5 zeroes. They don't see it as a fabergé egg investment for their dotage. They just really get a kick out of the hobby. I wouldn't trade places with any of them!

Richie, I think your stock is in everyone's collection. PM me re the MK III when you can . No rush

EDIT: FIVE zeros, not four. That can't be all OO! G, liver steam or a light gauge railway perhaps? Are we talking Peter Waterman here?

Edited by DiveController

I don t think its anymore expensive than most other hobbies or pastimes. Some of the most contented modellers i know have a small layout with a small amount stock. Equally i know lads with huge amounts of stock and big layouts that are equally happy.

A lot of the lads have been at this hobby for years so even with a modest spend every month over a few years the amount of models build up into what you see on here & other similar sites.

As for me im content with my lot, i don t add up what i spent in past but the 'want' list never really gets shorter as the years go by especially with the unparalleled amount of excellent offerings from the suppliers at the moment.

1, Admit honestly, to yourself, just how much you do spend on model railway items.

2, Make a reasonable assessment of how much drinking, gambling and women-chasing that would cover.

3, Keep this information in reserve for when 'she' broaches the subject.....

I'm coming up on 10 years in the hobby, and even gradual purchases from Mr. Murphy and ebay curios do add up (and more than several from Glenderg...just too hard to resist temptation).

Time is the issue in terms of running and building, particularly as when I do sit down to do something, I end up designing something new instead, arrgh!

The wives have their fashion and hairdos, we have our toys. Its a fair cop guv.

You can get a nice loco for the price of a "proper hair-do"....

Hi B

I have a friend that bought a Ford Mustang a few years ago, secretly he brought it back to the house to surprise the family, when asked by the misis how much he paid for it- he replied on the basis of when he asked her how much she spent on her hair each week- the answer was €150.00!

Eoin

Probably been in the hobby longer than I remember, being more of a builder and operator than a collector my collections tend to depreciate rather than appreciate in value.

More mission creep than most military the besides the Irish stuff, expensive excursions into British OO, OO9 & EM gauge, American HO, N & On30, and now G Gauge.

Missus is fairly laid back and supportive of it, at least she knows I am unlikely to be with a Flousie if I am in the garden or workshop

A friend of mine is heavily into gardening, and recently spent just over €4500 on two ornamental trees and some plants and shrubs. He's got the money (or at least he had!).

I try to limit garden expense to a pack of border plants, two for the price of one in a sale in Woodies, maybe €10.

In answer to a question of how much a layout costs, the easiest way is to make a list of all you would think appropriate for your own plans, and cost it by looking at model railway shops' websites.

As people's financial abilities vary widely, so does the space available for a layout. If you've little money and little space, you'll have a very different layout to someone with a giant converted attic and mega-millions.

You could also have loads of money and space, but not be personally prepared to spend more than a very modest amount. A friend of mine has a very small basic layout, some of which is second hand stock, though if he wanted he could afford the best money can buy.

It's like "how long is a piece of string", really.

...... and - if you're a member of a high-end golf club, or you own a horse, or you play with model radio-controlled aircraft, your hobby will cost you thousands annually......

I got grief from a work colleague when he found out the "bleedin' ridiculous" cost of "bleedin' toy trains".

Funny though, he thought nothing of spending over ten grand on a golf club membership and then lost his goolies when the club went into receivership during the bust!