Scary the money involved

Rate this topic

Liverbird81

What is great about this hobby is that you can spend as little or as much of time or money as you have or wish, and can still get great enjoyment from it! It's as much fun turning a few printouts and a cornflakes box into a small building as it is opening an expensive sound chipped loco for a play :)

It's as much fun turning a few printouts and a cornflakes box into a small building as it is opening an expensive sound chipped loco for a play :)

Do a good job on the print out and it's almost MORE fun than the sound chip.

I love my PM Mk2 EGV, but my scratchbuilt one just has that extra zen to it, knowing every bit of research and building trick to get it to where it was.

What is great about this hobby is that you can spend as little or as much of time or money as you have or wish, and can still get great enjoyment from it! It's as much fun turning a few printouts and a cornflakes box into a small building as it is opening an expensive sound chipped loco for a play :)

+1

It's not bad compared to costs of other folks passions such as:

• Photography - decent SLR camera + lens setup > €5k plus extras!
  • Golf - clubs, membership, trips, gear, green fees, etc
  • Car restoration, Rallying - bottomless pit
  • Rugby supporter including season tickets and trips abroad for away matches, same for soccer.
  • Sailing - don't start!
  • Horse racing - too many zeros
  • Cycling, carbon fibre hi-tech bikes, gear, gear, gear
  • Skiing - trips, ski passes, accommodation, skis and bindings every few years, boots
  • Flying fixed wing, flying heli's makes collecting every MM loco ever made look inexpensive!!!
  • Surfing - gear, gear, gear, trips, trips, trips

As BK said its often the simplest mini projects that take so much enjoyable time that can be so rewarding.

+1

It's not bad compared to costs of other folks passions such as:

• Photography - decent SLR camera + lens setup > €5k plus extras!
  • Golf - clubs, membership, trips, gear, green fees, etc
  • Car restoration, Rallying - bottomless pit
  • Rugby supporter including season tickets and trips abroad for away matches, same for soccer.
  • Sailing - don't start!
  • Horse racing - too many zeros
  • Cycling, carbon fibre hi-tech bikes, gear, gear, gear
  • Skiing - trips, ski passes, accommodation, skis and bindings every few years, boots
  • Flying fixed wing, flying heli's makes collecting every MM loco ever made look inexpensive!!!
  • Surfing - gear, gear, gear, trips, trips, trips

As BK said its often the simplest mini projects that take so much enjoyable time that can be so rewarding.

Couldn't had put better myself Noel, well said

There is a lot of money that you can spend on model railways, but thats only if you want to.....

For example I was looking at motors, wheels, axles, And the price came to near £80, and I thought to myself "cor I'm going to need a job", but if you compare it to video gaming, that is dead cheap, console-£200-400 games-£30-50. So maybe model railway isn't that expensive at all, but in the end, it's your wonga and you can do what you wish.

Equally here rebelred - although mine is photography and model railways! Spent about €1000 on camera equipment over the last year, and probably got about the same amount of stock stored away, waiting for me to get some solder!

Still, you learn some great skills along the way - such as soldering!

thanks guys for the input I've enjoyed popping in to see what has been said. I myself don't have a lot of time on my hands with 5 kids so my first years of modelling have got of to a snails pace. So at present its just collecting loco's and dmus all NIR to begin with so no were near the same in collection size as Irish rail thankfully but do plan in the future to

True life savings is a step to far lol but I would imagine by the time I get 208 & 8208 both types of Caf my 101 class and my c class the little EE shutters and my 450 & 80 I will be out a pretty penny and that's before Irish model baseboards builds my York rd layout lol it's getting scary thank god my wife doesn't realise what ££££ I'm spending

When she asks how much, whatever price you paid, tell her it cost half that amount....they still go off on onr but if Mrs Rebelred ever found out i would be in my negative equity Dog house!!!! She also refers to them as 'toys' which annoys me no end!! :facepalm:

When she asks how much, whatever price you paid, tell her it cost half that amount....they still go off on onr but if Mrs Rebelred ever found out i would be in my negative equity Dog house!!!! She also refers to them as 'toys' which annoys me no end!! :facepalm:

Do'nt forget the "it's cheap Dear" & "we'll be making a saving Dear " ( I cannot believe this is still going, :dig: as I have to make sure She who must be obeyed is comfortable & watching TV)

I wonder if, sometimes, it can be better to tell 'her' that you paid twice the actual amount - and then reveal the truth?

A sort of "drawing fire" technique.

Could somebody actually try this and let us know (if they still can) what happened...

Lads, you are really making a great case for the single life on here. Only now do I see how lucky I am that I can just go and pick something or things up whenever the mood takes me and not have to hide it or justify to myself. :trains:

Lads, you are really making a great case for the single life on here. Only now do I see how lucky I am that I can just go and pick something or things up whenever the mood takes me and not have to hide it or justify to myself. :trains:

We are still talking trains here...?

My father in law rescued me there a while back. He says to herself "well wouldn't it be worse if he was out every night spending money in the bar and the bookies" .

Of course he speaks from experience being an avid amateur photographer with a lot of kit...