Coronavirus

Rate this topic

spudfan

Yesterday the New Zealand Government announced that the country was going into lockdown for 4 weeks with all non essential business and public transport shut down and people expected to remain at home. Supermarkets were extremely busy on Mon. afternoon, packaged imported foodstuffs scarce though supermarkets introduced rationing last week. Fairly quiet in the supermarkets this afternoon, almost panic buying in the builders merchants, managed to load up with material for one or two non-model railway projects at home.

The next few weeks should be a good opportunity to catch up on my backlog of half finished model railway projects, even started the final assembly of a Midland 2-4-0 for myself!

• Like 3

We will probably see an increase in the no of 'reported' cases here in Ireland over next few days due to the increased testing regime, but as so many as of yet untested folks may have this with mild symptoms, the new testing regime is now picking them up, it may paint a more pessimistic picture in terms of the trend than what is actually happening. Stay safe folks and take care. Lots of plastic card, paints and wiring to catch up on. Now may be an opportune time to weather that stock that's been on the long finger since the world was normal.

• Like 2

Look after yourself and your loved ones, everybody! We are all working remotely, so are available to answer any questions, queries etc. The office is closed until further notice. 

However, the distribution centre in the UK is still open, so we can still dispatch orders if any of you fancy any wagons or bits for the layout whilst in lockdown. Thankfully our hobby is something to help us take our minds off such things. 

China is also back in full swing, so look out for Guinness kegs coming late April/early May, all going well. We will not be opening pre-ordering on them until we are certain they are able to get to customers freely. A Class is still motoring along too and on course for September. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3

thats it...... Leo n gang saw this entire post and decided to lock us all away and confiscate Daves last face mask, as its the only one left  in the whole of Ireland.

845pm,,,to-nite 27/3/2020 total shut down in Ireland for Cov-19,,,,,

9.05pm Garda arrive at notorious train robbery in Santry,

9.30 Dave arrested for hording IRM models, for having 30 boxes of cements.

10.30 pm dave released, Garda realise he will never do good behavior.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, jhb171achill said:

Just as well nobody knows about the 146,000 toilet rolls, 32,400 hand sanitisers, and 115,670 cement bubble packs I got from a man I know this afternoon.

If anyone wants to swop them for four bars of fruit'n'nut chocolate and a freshly poured pint of Guinness, I'm open to offers.

Or swop for four MM 141 models in Black'n'Tan 141, 165, 181, 188 :) 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, jhb171achill said:

Do not try this at home.....

7C200ADD-D10D-4A00-898A-E129E5E1F8FE.jpeg

I don't think there's a problem there. Are they even running in Ireland at the moment?

On 1/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Had a bit of a tiff with Granny Bracken this evening
I dont think she is talking to me
P0Lhag0.thumb.jpg.1ba4c2ce163561404af3cd35a71f7375.jpg

Yeah, it's still a respiratory disease. Coronavirus is a zoonotic respiratory disease acquired from bats (best guess) , therefore hoarding toilet tissue is just bat shit crazy! 😁

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Australian supermarket owner tells customer what to do with 5000 rolls of toilet paper and 150 packs of hand sanitiser after he asked for a refund😉

Customer asked for a refund when e-bay refused to list the toilet rolls and hand sanitiser. I wonder did he pay the 20 people he got to do the shopping?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12324944&&ref=recommended

Our supermarkets restricted customers to two packs of packaged items each, only thing that has run out is flour with a lot more home cooking.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

Australian supermarket owner tells customer what to do with 5000 rolls of toilet paper and 150 packs of hand sanitiser after he asked for a refund

Doesn't play in my region, but I have a good imagination!

Is This Train Car Carrying ‘COVID-19’? The facebook fake.
"It's puzzling why more conspirators aren't caught when they operate so brazenly"  by    David Mikkelson     Published 14 March 2020  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid19-railroad-tankcar/

19-train.jpg.d6db72a52746bf0b01ebe385f1f5216a.jpg

conclusion to page, david writes:
Most obviously, a tank car labeled ‘COVID-19’ makes no sense, as COVID-19 is not a term that identifies a virus or any other physical thing that can be carried. COVID-19 is the name of the coronavirus disease caused by a particular virus, so a tank car marked to display that it was carrying ‘COVID-19’ would be akin to a package bearing a label indicating that it contained ‘DIABETES.’ In furtherance of an alleged conspiracy to spread the COVID-19 illness, the tank car would carrying not COVID-19 but the virus known as “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2,” or SARS-CoV-2 for short.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, NIR said:

With any kind of bug the realistic objective is not to eliminate it but to slow it down and masks are effective in doing this, as are reducing social contact and avoiding international travel. If you don't feel like doing this for yourself then at least do it for the sake of others.

All pointless at this stage. I should have went skiing last year for all the difference it made

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/2/2021 at 5:24 AM, Horsetan said:

Looks like we'll all be opening up again in 2022!

Those of us that survived the pandemic will be, sure, but for those that did not, there will be no reopening at all

On 22/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, NIR said:

All pointless at this stage. I should have went skiing last year for all the difference it made

Actually you probably shouldn't have.

Everyone who has died from coronavirus acquired it from someone else, both parties being responsible for being irresponsible. Contact tracing being nothing near what it should be, many of us will have unknowingly passed virus to someone else often at their expense and not yours.

NIR original's point was correct and the laissez faire attitude of many, more privileged individuals and feckless 'leaders' has allowed the SARS-Cov-2 virus enough time and viral load for natural evolutionary changes to occur. Evolutionary change occurs slowly in mammals, almost non-existent in some homo 'sapiens' it's true.

However, over a year is more than enough time for a virus with this rate of replication to mutate. B117 variants and others will now become (are already) the dominant strains and will continue to claim even more first world lives and then continue again in underdeveloped countries long after Europe and the US has been vaccinated.

NOT going on your skiing holiday probably saved a person's life somewhere on the globe, possibly even your own.

Its just impossible to show you that non-existent data

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

I've just been to my first 'large event' on the Big Island since the Great Plague arrived - a Barry Potter toy/train fair.

Attendees are probably about 50/50 pre/post pension book age.

Masks appeared on about 15 % of the total - and about 25% of those were protecting the apparently highly vulnerable under-chin area.

Ventilation was largely non-existent, I would have thought it 'stuffy' two years ago.

If breathed-out droplets, touching and multiple handling of products are really an issue, then some people may get a 'result' from being there.

There were actually people vaping...

• Like 2
  • Angry 3

On 13/3/2021 at 2:10 AM, DiveController said:

Masks appeared on about 15 % of the total - and about 25% of those were protecting the apparently highly vulnerable under-chin area.

And there was me thinking that the crowd you get on the DART was bad - with maybe 10% NOT having them!

Rules or not, I WILL be wearing one in public for some time to come........ can't be too sure.

Sadly, several friends of mine have died of Covid-19. I don't want it to come to me and anyone around me. Imagine how any of us would feel if we had been responsible for giving it to one of our nearest & dearest!

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

And there was me thinking that the crowd you get on the DART was bad - with maybe 10% NOT having them!

Rules or not, I WILL be wearing one in public for some time to come........ can't be too sure.

Sadly, several friends of mine have died of Covid-19. I don't want it to come to me and anyone around me. Imagine how any of us would feel if we had been responsible for giving it to one of our nearest & dearest!

Having spent most of the last year on the Western Island, and the last five weeks on the Big Island, it is as though nothing has happened here - it's really odd - very similar to the Foot & Mouth scenario...

Despite there still being a death every ten to fifteen minutes here...

I look forward to escaping westwards again shortly.

• Like 2