Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

You could just not make this up! What a bunch of cowboys in Dublin 12 sorting office. They obviously do not know their left hand from their right hand.  Just had two emails/text messages to pay customs charge. thought it strange as not got anything on order apart from two items previously mentioned that are supposed to be sent back. Out of curiosity I put the details in Anpost web site and the items are going to be returned to Hattons, which  I would like to see how they are going to do that as I have the items here which were delivered with no issues at all back in August. 

This Customs Charge has expired on 29 Aug 2021
The time period for paying the Customs Charge for the below item has lapsed and the item has been returned to HATTONS MODEL RAILWAYS. There is no longer a charge due for this item.

Customs reference number:

21IEDUB500274QFHR3

Description:

BLUE CIRCLE PCA WAGON - PRE-OW

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

40 minutes ago, irishmail said:

You could just not make this up! What a bunch of cowboys in Dublin 12 sorting office. They obviously do not know their left hand from their right hand.  Just had two emails/text messages to pay customs charge. thought it strange as not got anything on order apart from two items previously mentioned that are supposed to be sent back. Out of curiosity I put the details in Anpost web site and the items are going to be returned to Hattons, which  I would like to see how they are going to do that as I have the items here which were delivered with no issues at all back in August. 

This Customs Charge has expired on 29 Aug 2021
The time period for paying the Customs Charge for the below item has lapsed and the item has been returned to HATTONS MODEL RAILWAYS. There is no longer a charge due for this item.

Customs reference number:

21IEDUB500274QFHR3

Description:

BLUE CIRCLE PCA WAGON - PRE-OW

At this stage Dublin 12 Mails Centre might just as well be in outer Mongolia 🙄

People getting packages without paying any Vat, people paying Vat & not getting their packages & people being told their packages are being sent back when they've already been delivered.

They're just making it up as they go along.

An Post are getting huge flack from all quarters for their handling of this.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, amdaley said:

Things are going from one extreme to the other.

The UK retailer sent out a replacement order for the original package which I was told had failed the Customs scan & has been sitting in Dublin since Sept 17th. I paid the charges on this replacement package on Tuesday.

This morning a package was delivered but it was the original package which was supposed to be sent back to the UK. I didn't pay any charges at all on this package.

It seems An Post are just dealing with the backlog by just delivering the post without checking it at all 🙄 

I can't complain I suppose as it saved me €26 but its still crazy 😄

Spot on, amdaley. Inconsistent happenings within An Post, who seem to have gone to hell altogether, but from the evidence and experience of others, New Zealand's and Brexitstan's postal services also appear to have their moments!

I went to post several small packages in my local post office recently and was told three different prices - one in one PO, and the other two from two separate staff members (one very nice, one a surly oul wagon!) in a different PO! And we're not talking about a bit more or less - one was €9, another €18!

Wow, This is an eye opener.

My experience has been - secondhand ebay.co.uk purchase - Ouch!! on the price but it was a loco I wanted, so suffered the ebay fulfillment Irish tax etc.

two orders from Hattons - used the trunk service - delivery straight to the office - no problems

TeleRail order of some old Irish Rail DVDs from the 90's - AnPost "please pay" notice - received the DVDs about 5 working days later

Today - AnPost "please Pay" notice for Order of two small form factor "Stay Alives" from Digitrains ( couldnt find them in the EU )- no mention of Irish Vat on the website but did notice they weren't charging vat so I was expecting the AnPost notice .  Hopefully they arrive like the DVDs.

Two Lokpilot Chips from Germany - straight in the door - pity you cant buy all the kit from Marks Models, etc. - I try but often I just cant find the product in Ireland.

A German order of a bridge for some Kit bashing - anxiously waiting.........

JB

• Like 2

German stuff should not go near a customs check. I can't imagine given how overwhelmed they appear to be with GB stuff that they would do anything except wave all EU stuff through.

Welcome to the forum JB.

Perhaps there is alternative stay alive product from an EU manufacturer? I mean stay alives aren't anything particularly special.

12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

German stuff should not go near a customs check. I can't imagine given how overwhelmed they appear to be with GB stuff that they would do anything except wave all EU stuff through.

Welcome to the forum JB.

Perhaps there is alternative stay alive product from an EU manufacturer? I mean stay alives aren't anything particularly special.

Marks here, or ModelBahnUnion stock most things. 

All packages have now arrived except for an unregistered package sent by an IOSS registered company Hattons from Liverpool of Sept 17th.

No way of tracking that so no idea where it is in the system.

No reason why a package from an IOSS registered company should be held up but we are dealing with An Post here ?

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Fingers crossed they sort this for you.  Looking at getting a Western from Cheltenham Model Center. 83 slobs not a bad price 12.50 for the shipping not sure if it is An Post or not!

Be aware of the customs charge.  I got a Class 33 from Rails of Sheffield and had to pay the charge to An Post It arrived a few days later.

12 minutes ago, ak425 said:

Be aware of the customs charge.  I got a Class 33 from Rails of Sheffield and had to pay the charge to An Post It arrived a few days later.

Rails send items to Ireland without Vat so you pay the Irish Vat + An Post charge.

Tony.

Edited by amdaley

Latest on the parcel for SHMBO,  it was eventually returned to the supplier, we asked them to resend it, they amended codes that An post asked them for, it is now in Dublin and we just got text and email again for VAT which we have already paid!!   So will be onto customer services tomorrow if we can get through to talk to a human (That if Anpost have any :) ) .

And as if by magic my stuff turned up, nothing to do with charges ultimately, just the sheer amount of stuff caused it to do laps of D12 for the guts of a month

So as clearly proven, if you want it soonish, courier - DHL,DPD,UPS etc. Take the hit, its just how it is now alas, back to pre 1992 days

• Like 1

Just been looking at the Anpost FB page and came across this posting from a few days ago. 

"Sent a birthday card to my Niece in August from the UK, literally just found it in my postbox,
customs/An Post went to the bother of returning it to me here because I don’t have a declaration form attached to it, stating that it’s a “greetings card” & it’s value.
It’s just a l.o.l suprise birthday card nothing else! World is gone mad! Saying as it was in the country already they may as well have just delivered it! Cost more money for them sending it back to England."

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Angry 3

41 minutes ago, DiveController said:

1921 The British leave Ireland (more than less), chaos ensues

2021 The British have left the EU, more chaos ....  

There's one common denominator in the above, well actually there's two, British & Chaos but the first one definitely caused the second on both occasions 🙄

• Like 3

Well my Western has arrived in Dublin!  An post are waiting for payment of the customs charges but I got no email or SMS from them so chasing that up now.

This  order was from the Cheltenham Model Centre, I provided them with the Taric Code and the info need to get the customs entry sorted, The CMC never heard of a Taric code so this would of not been on the package had I not advised them and therefore it would of been returned to sender. good job I asked!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Well my Western has arrived in Dublin!  An post are waiting for payment of the customs charges but I got no email or SMS from them so chasing that up now.

This  order was from the Cheltenham Model Centre, I provided them with the Taric Code and the info need to get the customs entry sorted, The CMC never heard of a Taric code so this would of not been on the package had I not advised them and therefore it would of been returned to sender. good job I asked!

They should send you a card requesting payment but it will usually take a couple of days. I have found that sending An Post a message on Twitter is a good way of contacting them.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I actually got a letter today too. Fee of €3.50 is certainly putting them in the red with all this additional work. In the end simple enough.

Helped the CMC said the Loco was  €80!!

Good luck!

Yep, Twitter worked like a treat. Twas actually only about 70 customs on a €270 model.

ids say if your intending to order anything from the UK for the next 4 ish months get it now, they are up the walls with work 

18 hours ago, irishmail said:

Don't know if An Post have sorted their issues with incoming parcels yet,  I ordered an item from Hatton's on Tuesday 26th Oct and it was delivered today Friday 29th with out any issues.  :)     

Hopefully a sign of things to come??

Hattons are registered in Ireland for VAT so anything you order directly (not using the locker service) should arrive promptly 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blaine said:

Hattons are registered in Ireland for VAT so anything you order directly (not using the locker service) should arrive promptly 

That's the theory but as many have found out it hasn't worked like that in practice on numerous occasions. I've had the same hit and miss results in Germany where they are also registered for VAT.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1