Blue/Grey and NSE Mark 2B Decorated Samples Are Here

Rate this topic

Following hot on the heels of our Mark 1 Suburban announcement earlier this week, and with the modern Mark 5 coaches in production and progressing nicely, it is now time to bring you an update on our other hotly anticipated coach project, the Mark 2Bs.

As you can see, decorated samples have arrived!

GEB_0012_retouch_600x600.jpg?v=165476619

As previously explained, we insist on decorated samples of all models before production as an indicator of correct livery shades and details. Decorated samples are usually suffering from poor assembly and livery application, with fuzzy elements and poor masking before it is perfected for production.

The Mark 2Bs samples are probably the worst we've seen so far for fuzzy lines, so please excuse this and rest assured the final models will be much, much better!

GEB_0276_retouch_600x600.jpg?v=165476616

These samples are also lacking some interior and exterior parts, so once again please excuse this. These models are missing things like headrests, partitions and interior handrails in some places, while exterior is missing the brass contact strips in the bogie for interior lighting (hence bowed bogies) and etched water filler flaps that will be provided in a polybag for 1970s modellers who wish to make their coaches in “as built” condition.

The the Western Region destination boards and frames are also not fitted but once again will be included in the detail pack. We also want to improve the glazing and general fit and finish.

GEB_0382_retouched_600x600.jpg?v=1654766

Okay, so that's the drawbacks taken care of (and all will be sorted on the models that will glide along your layouts!) Well, the colours are looking good and now those interiors really pop when some paint has been applied. We went to town on them with our usual "The Accurascale Way" mantra and it is really starting to show.

GEB_0014_NEF_retouched_600x600.jpg?v=165

We are pretty excited about them as you can imagine, and production will commence in the coming weeks, keeping us on course for a Q4 2022 delivery date. While these samples are very rough, they do give us all a nice flavour of what we can expect from these models when they arrive. Overall, we're petty pleased with them at this stage!

GEB_0386_NEF_retouched_600x600.jpg?v=165

Our Mark 2B range has proven very popular indeed since we first announced them.

Prices for all this awesomeness is £59.99 per coach, with 10% off when you order two or more, as well as free postage and packaging across the UK from Accurascale direct.

If you order two or more coaches direct from Accurascale, you can now select to pay a deposit and then the balance when the coaches arrive in stock, or easy installments over six months at no extra cost! These buttons will appear in your cart ahead of check out.

You can also order them from your preferred local Accurascale stockist, now with over 130 outlets across the world and growing all the time!

Pre-order by clicking here.

View the full article

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

With all of these new wagons and locomotives announcements you are really spoiling the British Railway modeler. The Mark IIs have always been my favourite passenger wagons and you guys are doing an exquisite job. Pity the Irish Railway modeler doesn't have anything comparable. The prices are reasonable for such a detailed coach and bearing in mind that back in the mid noughties [2000s] you'd would have been paying between 55€ and 65€ for Fleischmann coaches so the prices of these Mark IIs represent great value for money.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, connollystn said:

With all of these new wagons and locomotives announcements you are really spoiling the British Railway modeler. The Mark IIs have always been my favourite passenger wagons and you guys are doing an exquisite job. Pity the Irish Railway modeler doesn't have anything comparable. The prices are reasonable for such a detailed coach and bearing in mind that back in the mid noughties [2000s] you'd would have been paying between 55€ and 65€ for Fleischmann coaches so the prices of these Mark IIs represent great value for money.

erm, they will have though? https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/mark-2-coaches

We will have an update on our NIR variants in the next couple of days.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the other customers above, it would be wonderful to have IRM/AS level of specification and superb features for Irish coaches in Irish liveries (ie GSWR, MGWR, CIE, IR/IE). The UK coaches you have announced do look absolutely stunning with their detailing, features such as close coupling, bogies, touching corridors, and features such as lighting, etc. Its not a criticism just a natural observation that NI/NIR is a limited market. I still harbour hopes that one day CIE laminates or Park Royals may emanate from your stable. Happy to wait for the right models.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's almost certain that IRM will release the 2b's in IR/IE liveries in the presumably not too distant future given the tooling will exist for it. Common sense dictates that much. Common sense also dictates, that if NIR coaching stock is viable (especially the oddball ones) then CIE laminates and Park Royals should also be viable but IRM can't release the stuff in too quick succession because well, most of us can't afford it if they do that, so releases have to be somewhat staggered. Personally I find the release cycles from IRM just about right for the sake of my marriage.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, Noel said:

Agree with the other customers above, it would be wonderful to have IRM/AS level of specification and superb features for Irish coaches in Irish liveries (ie GSWR, MGWR, CIE, IR/IE). The UK coaches you have announced do look absolutely stunning with their detailing, features such as close coupling, bogies, touching corridors, and features such as lighting, etc. Its not a criticism just a natural observation that NI/NIR is a limited market. I still harbour hopes that one day CIE laminates or Park Royals may emanate from your stable. Happy to wait for the right models.

Hi Noel,

The NIR variants of these Mark 2 coaches ran on CIE metals daily every day of their service careers, so perfectly part of the Irish scene and equally at home in our range. They also ran on railtours across the country, not to mention rugby match specials to Landsdowne Road, a direct service for the ferry at Dun Laoghaire and of course, multiple daily Enterprise services. They bring a lovely dash of colour to the orange and black scene. And also, after bringing out lots of CIE centric models, it was great to be able to serve fans of NIR with models for once, the first bespoke models for NIR ever. We have a large percentage of our customer base north of the border and they seem very happy to see these.  Also, with the sky high prices NIR liveried locomotives currently command, perhaps the demand is not as limited as you may believe? Those locos need something to go behind them too. 

They also carry what is probably the best liveries that these coaches wore, but that's perhaps a biased personal opinion. :) 

Further Irish outline coaches will be forthcoming in time too, but patience as always, is required.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair comment, and glad NIR modellers will enjoy them, they were just never part of my personal nostalgia memory of Irish trains, so not required for my modelling scene. I just never actually saw those coaches running in ROI prob because most of the rail travel in my life time was was on exGSR lines south of Athlone. Been on DD to Belfast twice, but that's about the extent of my exposure to exGNR, exUTA, NIR scene. I'm retired now so plenty of time for patience. :) All in good time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Emanations from stables - not quite the general review they were hoping for, I suspect...

😉

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi Noel,

The NIR variants of these Mark 2 coaches ran on CIE metals daily every day of their service careers, so perfectly part of the Irish scene and equally at home in our range. The Mark 2Bs also did not run in IR/IE liveries, so the only cross over possible was NIR. They also ran on railtours across the country, not to mention rugby match specials to Landsdowne Road, a direct service for the ferry at Dun Laoghaire and of course, multiple daily Enterprise services. They bring a lovely dash of colour to the orange and black scene. And also, after bringing out lots of CIE centric models, it was great to be able to serve fans of NIR with models for once, the first bespoke models for NIR ever. We have a large percentage of our customer base north of the border and they seem very happy to see these.  Also, with the sky high prices NIR liveried locomotives currently command, perhaps the demand is not as limited as you may believe? Those locos need something to go behind them too. 

They also carry what is probably the best liveries that these coaches wore, but that's perhaps a biased personal opinion. :) 

Further Irish outline coaches will be forthcoming in time too, but patience as always, is required.

Cheers!

Fran 

Just announce those 80 Class DEMU’s!  You know it makes sense!😂😂

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Broithe said:

Emanations from stables - not quite the general review they were hoping for, I suspect...

😉

Better tham insemination in the stable, I guess.

Jaysus, Noel and Connolly, give the moaning a rest.

Instead of bitching about what these aren't, how about raving over what they are, then setting up an Accurascale account and buying some?

We get a fabulous announcement like this, and you're grumbling? And the NIR coaches were in Connolly all frikkin' day, every frikkin' day!

The NIR stock made it all over the IR network. In fact some of the longest rakes assembled made it out on the GSWR as specials to things like the Irish Derby at the Curragh. Great scope for a modeller there as they ran on empty to Kildare or Portarlington so the loco could run around and drag them back to Heuston for servicing before returning to the Curragh to collect passengers for the return journey, before running around again at Kildare and heading home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

It’s also worth bearing in mind that making lots of accurascale mk2’s is the only and sole reason we can afford tO make NIR mk2’s. Leveraging the UK brand makes unviable Irish models workable. 

So how about a BR Class 20 and then use the chassis to produce a NIR Mk2 hauler!😉

• Agree 1

The MK2b coaches look stunning the level of detail is in another world every manufacturer who has tackled the MK2b seems to omit some detail , it seems that Accurascale /IRM have nailed it  , one detail such as the door bumpers is such a distinctive detail which make the model standout unfortunately this was  omitted on the Murphy Models Mk2d for example and are slightly poorer for it . 
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the IR/IE MK2b’s 4109 , 4401 & 4402 might appear at some point along with MK2c ex FO’s 4103 ,4104, 4105 , 4106 & 4107 possibly in a mix of three pack at some point in the future. Hint Hint ……….

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

The MK2b coaches look stunning the level of detail is in another world every manufacturer who has tackled the MK2b seems to omit some detail , it seems that Accurascale /IRM have nailed it  , one detail such as the door bumpers is such a distinctive detail which make the model standout unfortunately this was  omitted on the Murphy Models Mk2d for example and are slightly poorer for it . 
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the IR/IE MK2b’s 4109 , 4401 & 4402 might appear at some point along with MK2c ex FO’s 4103 , 4105 , 4106 & 4107 possibly in a mix of three pack at some point in the future. Hint Hint ……….

My money's on a late 2022 announcement and late 2023 delivery.

Three IR livery three packs and three IE livery three packs, one of each including a rebuilt Dutch van.

😁

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Three IR livery three packs and three IE livery three packs, one of each including a rebuilt Dutch van.

😁

I think the rebuilt Dutch van (EGV) would be difficult, the  ex MK2b Fk , Mk2c FO are more likely the only difference  with the BR / NIR  versions is the interiors and the blanked over windows on 4401 & 4402 . 

• Like 1

I really look forward to seeing the NIR versions in maroon and blue  and packs of Hunslets to encircle them in time. These first decorated samples look good and hopefully after factory corrections all will be good to go, certainly give these rejects a retirement home and some new clothes... 

thanks for showing and keeping the froth as the last few hours have shown at bonus production rates... 

If only BR had invested in the MK2 style of demu for the Waterloo - Exeter and Portsmouth- Waterloo then as said above the NIR 80 would be a great add on run to a British model.. 

Robert   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flange lubricator said:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the IR/IE MK2b’s 4109 , 4401 & 4402 might appear at some point along with MK2c ex FO’s 4103 , 4105 , 4106 & 4107 possibly in a mix of three pack at some point in the future. Hint Hint ……….

Sorry, you’re quite correct. There were 3 Mark 2Bs, two of which became mini buffets and 4109. If anyone has a pic of 4109 in service please share it!

Have amended my post and will sit on the naughty step. The project manger has given me a right earful. 😂

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, flange lubricator said:

I think the rebuilt Dutch van (EGV) would be difficult, the  ex MK2b Fk , Mk2c FO are more likely the only difference  with the BR / NIR  versions is the interiors and the blanked over windows on 4401 & 4402 . 

Whatever it is, I won't be complaining!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, connollystn said:

20 hours ago, Noel said:

Agree with these two posts, but on the balance of things, we are getting the RPSI coaches. I was a bit underwhelmed by the NIR variants when i seen the RPSI's i was instantly like gotta have some of those.

Grabbed some bachmann 2a in the meantime and they come highly recommended. sure they arent up there up there in the detail but they arent bad and are solid runners. will also compliment the eventual 2b IR run, we just gotta be super patient. ;) 

15 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

We get a fabulous announcement like this, and you're grumbling? And the NIR coaches were in Connolly all frikkin' day, every frikkin' day!

With me its simply a personal bias against "things that i am not modelling" and things i dont have fond memories of, for example,I  have a serious desire to model a deep tube station after a recent trip to London,  Im Mad for IR/IE stuff because thats literally what ive watched on the lines over the years and ive seen NIR stock maybe once in my whole life so it doesnt interest me, but it will interest many who seen it from day to day so thats okay..

13 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

4101 and 4102 are available by mm however they are incorrectly modelled as 2a.  4108 and 4410 are available also and correct as far as i know

12 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

😁

Good things will come to those that wait.....a dutchie is needed for the RPSI set too so it would definitely make sense on some level ;) 

Edited by Sean
  • Confused 1

Im sure ill be pleased with the RPSI set as i wait for more suitable liveries for my own applications... and that means ill need at least 2 of this eventual theoretical dutch van.... :D 

cant buy em all, unfortunately. 

I think we all have some sort of sentimental attachments to the things that we model and that by and large dictates where the modelling budget will go, of course id buy em all if I could but i have tied myself to a specific place and period for the time being and i suppose thats mostly a financial decision 😛 

Not knocking these other variants at all, they look class and I'm sure ill see a lot of them at shows. they just arent for me this time around.

The mags arent for me either, but im strongly considering shelling out for some gypsums as im finding the subject matter is a bit more interesting to me.

Edited by Sean

To be honest, they are growing a little on me, can I ask when are they due again? My credit card took a little hammering lately but a quick recovery is in progress, so I am planning my next purchase already. Also, what are we looking at in about how many have presold?

• Funny 1

Q4 this year was the original projected delivery date. Not sure if that still stands with the world in seemingly constant turmoil. I saw a nice comment over on RMWeb about these engineering samples along the lines of "they are the sort of quality other companies would ship to end customers". I thought that hit the spot. They are going to be awesome, whether BR, NSE, Trans-Penine, NIR or someday IR. I am super looking forward to the NIR corporate livery. What a great splash of colour they add to a "south of the border" layout. I always considered the NIR stock "exotic", like a little bit of BR in Ireland or something.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sean said:

4101 and 4102 are available by mm however they are incorrectly modelled as 2a.  4408 and 4410 are available also and correct as far as i 

Not wanting to go off in tangents or be too pedantic but worth pointing out as far as I'm aware that 4101,4102 and 4110 as built were Mk2a, 4108 was a Mk2 as built , the main visual difference being the Gangway on the Mk2 was the same as the BR MK1 , the Mk2a had the bi folding door, this would be changed on the Mk2 over time so by the time it came into IE ownership it was a MK2a. The other difference being Mk2 was Vacuum Braked later converted to Air Brakes.

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, BosKonay said:

It’s also worth bearing in mind that making lots of accurascale mk2’s is the only and sole reason we can afford tO make NIR mk2’s. Leveraging the UK brand makes unviable Irish models workable. 

*sees the Mk1 subs just announced...*

*Looks at Weedsprayer boxes*

I wonder....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2