IRM Steam Speculation

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

When this link arrived in my inbox this morning, I thought that if these guys can do something as obscure as this, then almost anything is possible. Mind you, the Festiniog (all 14 miles of it) has more followers than the all the railways in Ireland.

Robert Shrives will be over the Moon!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5499/peco_products_oo9_ffestiniog_4_wheel_quarryman&utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=modvehid5499-pecoquarrymanfrgreyinstock#models

Yep banged by head many a time (slow learner) on the door from the balcony on van no6. As a passenger guard and as freight guard on engineering trains over many years. tooling costs hopefully not too bad for a "simple" box. 

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I've just had another Hattons e-mail -

Rapido Trains are doing the famous Scottish loco the "Jones Goods" (a 4-6-0 in YELLOW (or green) for you youngsters!) - we should all stop speculating - just live long enough, and EVERYTHING will appear!

Certainly the Highland Railway modellers will be reaching for the 20 year old Malt this Christmas in celebration of what is to come!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Rapido Trains are doing the famous Scottish loco the "Jones Goods" (a 4-6-0 in YELLOW (or green) for you youngsters!) - we should all stop speculating - just live long enough, and EVERYTHING will appear!

As a paid up member of the 'Hacking Club' I have to ask did not the GS&WR build some similar looking locomotives at the turn of the century? A narrow boilered 4-6-0 which were called "Long Toms" for some reason. Page 121 of the 'Bible'. Class 362, only three built and all withdrawn by 1928. Not my era but might float someone's boat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

As a paid up member of the 'Hacking Club' I have to ask did not the GS&WR build some similar looking locomotives at the turn of the century? A narrow boilered 4-6-0 which were called "Long Toms" for some reason. Page 121 of the 'Bible'. Class 362, only three built and all withdrawn by 1928. Not my era but might float someone's boat.

Sorry, Steve, the GSWR loco was inside cylinders and appears to have had a more highly pitched boiler.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Wonder would PM do another release of those at some stage. 

Doubt there is enough demand for an Irish Steam loco to make a production run of sufficient size to be economic and profitable.  Perhaps folks buy a current DCC ready bachmann in one of the BR liveries and respray to GSWR/CIE grey. Its an easy paint job, there is no lining needed just logo transfers.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Doubt there is enough demand for an Irish Steam loco to make a production run of sufficient size to be economic and profitable.  Perhaps folks buy a current DCC ready bachmann in one of the BR liveries and respray to GSWR/CIE grey. Its an easy paint job, there is no lining needed just logo transfers.

You never know :) At least one of the new tools underway at irm towers is steamy. 

24 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

You never know :) At least one of the new tools underway at irm towers is steamy. 

Was just gonna say, there's been a lot of speculation over the past year or so on what the first IRM steamer will be.

The first Accurascale steamer, the Manor Class, is mind blowing. I don't have a controller to do the loco justice, but the slow speed DC running and sensitivity to introducing current is top class.

Whether it's a GSR 800 or a J15 or something else, we're in for a real treat:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Excellent news. Looking forward to that! Sound one duly ordered already in the head. 

36 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Was just gonna say, there's been a lot of speculation over the past year or so on what the first IRM steamer will be.

The first Accurascale steamer, the Manor Class, is mind blowing. I don't have a controller to do the loco justice, but the slow speed DC running and sensitivity to introducing current is top class.

Whether it's a GSR 800 or a J15 or something else, we're in for a real treat:

My Buddy bought a Manor from IRM at the show, Bargain price too, I dithered too much given that it was GWR, Looking forward to seeing his one go!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Excellent news. Looking forward to that! Sound one duly ordered already in the head. 

My Buddy bought one from IRM at the show, Bargain price too, I dithered too much given that it was GWR, Looking forward to seeing his one go!

I chose Cookham Manor because I think that's the eighties preserved livery, so ties in with the BR blue that I remember.

A tech question for @BosKonay's boys:

Will an A Class LokPilot damage Cookham Manor or will she run well on one with no damage? I'd like to be able to try her on DCC and that's the only option for the foreseeable future.

Original IRM Steam Speculation thread:

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Please, I think you have posted negatively on this subject before and it's disappointing to have cold water being thrown on the possibility or in fact now the probability, that such a model will be announced in the near future. I understood IRM were to announce a steamer this year. Why would you want to deter them? , Not that I think you will.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

Please, I think you have posted negatively on this subject before and it's disappointing to have cold water being thrown on the possibility or in fact now the probability, that such a model will be announced in the near future. I understood IRM were to announce a steamer this year. Why would you want to deter them? , Not that I think you will.

Very well put, couldn't have done it so well myself.

I suspect that it's a case of "when" rather than "if" for an IRM-spec Irish steam loco, and I find that prospect very very exciting!

• Like 2

Talking of the Accurascale "Manor", when Richard McLachlan and I noted that the lads had done "ANTHONY Manor", we knew just had to buy one for Oisin, the Great Man's (ANTHONY McDonald, RIP) son. So we presented the appropriately named engine to the young man on Sunday at Blackrock.

IMG_7071copy.thumb.jpg.fad1e1d23222c25344da267be2b4dff1.jpg

Thanks, IRM / Accurascale for producing the perfect memorial to a simply super guy, who we all miss.

• Like 16

On 1/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

I chose Cookham Manor because I think that's the eighties preserved livery, so ties in with the BR blue that I remember.

A tech question for @BosKonay's boys:

Will an A Class LokPilot damage Cookham Manor or will she run well on one with no damage? I'd like to be able to try her on DCC and that's the only option for the foreseeable future.

Original IRM Steam Speculation thread:

The Manor needs a next18 lokpilot as a 21 pin wouldn’t fit unfortunately 

16 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

accurascale.com ? :) 

No international postage available since the Royal Mail Cyber Attack, so I'm looking for alternatives.

There are so many variants of the Next18 LokPilot that I'm confused. Looks like 59118 and 59128 are the two main ones but I can't see on the AS site which it is.

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias01.thumb.jpg.215ca5a6f2681a067062b0ea5f919851.jpg

Although, I must say that Accurascale branching out and selling tampons and advertising personal trainers is a great cross-merchandising exercise, very impressed:

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias02.thumb.jpg.11b4a14940e13fba602c8c829c6d57cb.jpg

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias03.thumb.jpg.7e35eadc3613e4df663f9fd78e69a889.jpg

Edited by DJ Dangerous
Added screenshots
  • Funny 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, murphaph said:

Medium term I would not rule out an IRM J15 given how numerous they were.

Yep, OO works was limited in numbers. As good as it was for its time a proper one, Slightly more affordable with DCC Sound,  Controllable Lamp lights, Flicker in the Firebox, Animated crew with wave and a bit more finesse would be great, or anything in Blue!!

• Like 4