IRM Steam Speculation

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

On 1/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, Ironroad said:

Please, I think you have posted negatively on this subject before and it's disappointing to have cold water being thrown on the possibility or in fact now the probability, that such a model will be announced in the near future. I understood IRM were to announce a steamer this year. Why would you want to deter them? , Not that I think you will.

I don't want to deter. It just seemed unlikely. The well is only so deep, so many models hitting the market these 24months. I'd love an Irish GSWR 0-6-4T or a GSWR 400 class, or GSWR Class 500 with DCC sound.  Would be delighted to be surprised, just not optimistic based on the economics. There's few still living who travelled on steam hauled trains here in Ireland so not much in the way of nostalgia memory. RPSI locos more exposed to the public. Great if it happens. Only time will tell.

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

I don't want to deter. It just seemed unlikely. The well is only so deep, so many models hitting the market these 24months. I'd love an Irish GSWR 0-6-4T or a GSWR 400 class, or GSWR Class 500 with DCC sound.  Would be delighted to be surprised, just not optimistic based on the economics. There's few still living who travelled on steam hauled trains here in Ireland so not much in the way of nostalgia memory. RPSI locos more exposed to the public. Great if it happens. Only time will tell.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Just for fun, and I mean no offence here, but....

On 21/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, Noel said:

We are already blessed with a bountiful supply of top class Irish model locos. I do agree the BachmannMM 141/181s would probably fly off the shelves faster than Fr Jack chasing a bottle of brandy in his turbo charged wheelchair including double flywheel, all wheel drive, keepalive and ANDAS (automatic nun detection and avoidance system). The imminent arrival of A class should put enough Irish model mojo in the market for decades to come. If I was a betting man I’d put a tote bet each way on future 141/181s, 071s and even C classes eventually coming to market from some manufacturers. The well is only so deep. Patience will yield reward.

On 30/4/2020 at 6:47 PM, Noel said:

Was just thinking the well is only so deep in the Irish market, with the A class coming after 121 and the Irish economy suffering CV-19 effect will the market demand be there for much more? After the kegs is project 42 not finished? Will yellow PW stuff sell well? There was no mention of weed spray coach to go with the tanker set? I'm sure all will be revealed at the appropriate time. Lets get the 121 and A class first, they will devour budgets. Not to mention the lovely deltic and CL 37 :) The one surplus commodity many of us have at the moment seems to be time. Great uncertainty but the IRM guys have wise heads.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Noel said:

Another few months won't make much of a difference, and probably useful anyway to space it away from the A class delivery and from Christmas too. Had both locos arrived in December as originally announced we'd all be broke and nothing else might sell for a year. The Irish market well is only so deep. It will be worth waiting for.

On 28/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, Noel said:

Hi Fran. Apologies, I wasn't being negative, as well you know I have heaped praise on these superb wagons, but there are limits to how much stock I as a modeller can buy and store on the layout. The well is only so deep and despite my appetite for more, there is a point where I need to learn to be 'content' with what I already have.  I went over the top with 141/181s and ended up off-loading some because they could not fit on the layout, were just being wasted and not put to use. Sure I have two rakes of the bubbles alone, and ballasts and taras. :) Keep producing, I for one will be glad the 'insatiable appetite' of others may fund more interesting wagon prototypes. There will be no room left on the layout for my Black'n'Tan oldies nor my CIE era goods wagons. I've already purged the layout of nearly all of my BR outline stock. Keep going you guys are playing a blinder. Noel

On 3/3/2018 at 5:18 PM, Noel said:

It sure is ambitious and yes I too have wondered just how deep the well is, but I'm sure the lads have done their home work and have used customer data from the first two projects as data input for their business plan.

Happy days we've never had it so good.

On 31/5/2017 at 10:19 PM, Noel said:

Very true TDR, but the well is only so deep. Modelling consumers will be spending significantly on Murphy Models 121 when released later this year, as well as IRM's new range of top quality RTR wagons (i.e. Ballasts, Cement Bubbles and Tara's). The small Irish market is a finite size. Noel

On 30/5/2017 at 7:33 PM, Noel said:

I suspect we are going to see more and more stunning RTR rolling stock from vendors including IRM and MM over the coming years, reducing the demand for kits, and yet the Irish modelling well is only so deep financially.

Noel

• Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Noel said:

I missed Deltics in BR service by 14 years, and closer to 20 for memory purposes. I have 6 Accurascale ones, plus 3 N gauge ones. Just because you don't remember them doesn't mean there's no market. How many remember 4 and 6 wheel carriages in use, yet plenty of models of them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

No international postage available since the Royal Mail Cyber Attack, so I'm looking for alternatives.

There are so many variants of the Next18 LokPilot that I'm confused. Looks like 59118 and 59128 are the two main ones but I can't see on the AS site which it is.

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias01.thumb.jpg.215ca5a6f2681a067062b0ea5f919851.jpg

Although, I must say that Accurascale branching out and selling tampons and advertising personal trainers is a great cross-merchandising exercise, very impressed:

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias02.thumb.jpg.11b4a14940e13fba602c8c829c6d57cb.jpg

2023-11-03AccurascaleNoShippingCanarias03.thumb.jpg.7e35eadc3613e4df663f9fd78e69a889.jpg

accurascale ships direct from Bimingham with DHL. it’s never used RM international and has only just added it as an option for local delivery.

Dhl is available there as always to the Canaries. Hope that helps. 

9 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

accurascale ships direct from Bimingham with DHL. it’s never used RM international and has only just added it as an option for local delivery.

Dhl is available there as always to the Canaries. Hope that helps. 

DHL doesn't show up for me. It just says something to the effect of "Sorry, we don't ship to this destination" when I try calculating shipping or buying.

Sorry that the screenshot was in Spanish, it keeps changing to Spanish for me.

I'll try get an English screenshot.

Again, sorry about the Spanish, it just keeps happening.

OK, on the mobile, it stays in English!

Screenshot_20231103-161145.png

Edited by DJ Dangerous
Added screenshot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Yes, Anything but 4-4-0 as they are generally awful runners. No 4 or x60 tender locos

Well if they are like the Hornby Schools Class you cant go wrong, Absolutely the best running locos I have steam wise, they glide along but know what you mean though they show up every undulation. Oxford's Adam Tank was woeful. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I think it is evident (even from your own postings) that the well is much deeper that you think it is and you shouldn't underestimate what might be offered.   I personally find the rate of releases to be excruciatingly slow and my message to IRM etc. is;- bring it on, it will sell. 

Also thinking, what about new lyrics to the old Bee Gees song retitled.  "How deep is your Well" (sorry couldn't resist)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I like to think we are slowly rolling into an era where there are enough simultaneous releases that we wont possibly be able to buy all of the upcoming irish stuff as there will just be too much.

Thats only a good thing though, except for the anorak collectors like @DJ Dangerous who buy 10-50 of every new irish release :D.

for me it would help me consolidate my interests and stick more to releases suitable to around my own era of modelling, I have one or 2 steamers here, but its not my area of interest so they dont see much use and i wouldnt be queueing up to buy a new release in that department. id much rather spend the money on a C class i think if both released together  ;) 

Edited by Sean
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

I think it is evident (even from your own postings) that the well is much deeper that you think it is and you shouldn't underestimate what might be offered.   I personally find the rate of releases to be excruciatingly slow and my message to IRM etc. is;- bring it on, it will sell. 

Also thinking, what about new lyrics to the old Bee Gees song retitled.  "How deep is your Well" (sorry couldn't resist)

Although, in all fairness to Noel, he frequently mentions getting into the hobby by chance around the time of the financial crash of 2008, during a visit to Malahide Castle.

If one were to get stuck in that austerity mindset, it's easy to understand him not seeing how the market is changing and growing.

I say this with all seriousness, but in ten or twenty years time, I see RTR O Gauge from IRM, as the market evolves further, and our eyesight deteriorates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

I like to think we are slowly rolling into an era where there are enough simultaneous releases that we wont possibly be able to buy all of the upcoming irish stuff as there will just be too much.

Thats only a good thing though, except for the anorak collectors like @DJ Dangerous who buy 10-50 of every new irish release :D.

for me it would help me consolidate my interests and stick more to releases suitable to around my own era of modelling, I have one or 2 steamers here, but its not my area of interest so they dont see much use and i wouldnt be queueing up to buy a new release in that department. id much rather spend the money on a C class i think if both released together  ;) 

We're actually at a milestone this past year, with Irish rolling stock on the shelves permanently in some form - the blue Taras and the Magnesites.

We're also seeing new locos launch every year or two.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Was just gonna say, there's been a lot of speculation over the past year or so on what the first IRM steamer will be.

The first Accurascale steamer, the Manor Class, is mind blowing. I don't have a controller to do the loco justice, but the slow speed DC running and sensitivity to introducing current is top class.

Whether it's a GSR 800 or a J15 or something else, we're in for a real treat:

Y'know, I keep thinking that I should make time to do a bit more work on my Mitchell kit "Manor" - it has taken long enough.....

20231103_221628.jpg

20231103_221656.jpg

20231103_221855.jpg

20231103_221913.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 4

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I’m certain the demand will increase. With the norm in Ireland being various 4.4.0 and 0.6.0 types, one or both will be inevitable, I feel.

A common and late-lasting GNR, MGWR or GSWR design of either type would seem the most logical.

A preserved loco is the most likely candidate given IRMs focus on accuracy and practice of "measuring up" existing locos and stock when producing a model. Designing and manufacturing a model of a MGWR or GSWR design to the same standard would be challenging involving a lot of guesswork as available drawings and information is somewhat sketchy in nature.

Also the RPSI had their loco fleet digitally scanned about 10-15 years ago apparrently for modelling purposes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

85, 800, 171, 461, most likely in my opinion. J15s would probably still sell well too but so soon after oo works, I'm not sure.

Maebh (and the 800s) would be the obvious choice but she has sat in Cultra for the last 60 years, whereas the RPSI locos have been out and about, and all the major RPSI locos have decent class numbers (apart from 461).

V class hit most of the right marks, big loco, nice livery, decent working career, and still working in preservation (good use for those RPSI coaches) and 5 of them. Very little GNRI rtr rolling stock available atm would be one minus for them, whereas a southern loco has the six-wheelers and the irm laminates coming through the pipework.

For GSR 4-4-0s, surely the go-to would be the 301s. Still think it is unlikely (at least for a good while) that we'll see a southern 4-4-0 in rtr, unless oo works decides to have a lash at it.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, connollystn said:

The best steam locomotive for IRM to produce is No. 4. It was one of the last steam locomotives to operate in the British Isles and it would be right in the middle (or end) of CIE's modernisation programme. It could run along side any of CIE's diesel traction which was in operation at the time of No.4's withdrawal from service.

It can run alongside ICRs even, on a modern image layout using RPSI livery Cravens, on RPSI specials…..

Once the very essential AEC railcar is available RTR, a “Jeep” will provide the necessary accompaniment for a UTA-era layout, now only possible - and even then to a limited extent - with kits and scratch-builds. A much neglected part of our railway history would then be covered.

I would love to see a RTR model of No.4 and who knows given IRM's propensity to look for ways to maximise use of their tooling, this might fit with the production of an LMS Fowler 2 6 4, and even an NCC class W mogul.  However, while the similarities are there, the differences would make this a challenge, not to mention a lock of rolling stock for no 4 or the class W to haul. 

On the other hand no. 461 may be a good candidate, particularly since it hauled beet trains and no doubt Park Royals, it also ticks the box of being preserved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ironroad said:

not to mention a lock of rolling stock for no 4 or the class W to haul. 

Some NCC and UTA rolling stock is there in kit form, but don't forget the RPSI has a wide range of carriages. RTR rolling stock for No 4 includes RPSI Cravens and Mark 2s. It has also hauled their Park Royals.

Edited by Flying Snail

5 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Sorry, IR, 5ft 9in drivers versus 6ft with the Irish locos. That said, there are plenty of Fowler conversions around masquerading as "Tanks".

Absolutely, but besides the drivers, at 6' v 5'9",  the WT length was 46' 5.75" , wheelbase 37'9", & leading and trailing wheels were 37" diameter. Whereas the Fowler was 47' 2.5" long, wheelbase was 38'5", and diameter of  lead an trailing wheels was 39.5".  So all in all maybe not compatible enough for IRM / Accurascale to consider as a crossover model, but who knows. 

4 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Some NCC and UTA rolling stock is there in kit form, but don't forget the RPSI has a wide range of carriages. RTR rolling stock for No 4 includes RPSI Cravens and Mark 2s. It has also hauled their Park Royals.

I acknowledge this but I'm thinking in the context of how they actually operated in normal service, not as preserved and I think what is or has been available is mostly down to Leslie.

From the perspective of IRM no 461, fits the bill of something that hauled rolling stock that they already have in the pipeline.

The talk of 461 is interesting, I proposed it at least ten years ago, using the argument of what it did in service, in preservation and how modelers/people could buy what they had seen. Interesting how the attitudes in the hobby have changed thanks to Leslie, Mayner, Studio Scale Models and Irish railway Models. I'm sure there are several I have missed. And of course all you guys who post on here fertilizing ideas. If its 461 then thats a birthday sorted!    :trains:

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Excellent interview here from Fran, with plenty of coverage of the IRM brand and mention also of the forthcoming Irish steam release:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/interview-of-the-week-accurascale-part-1/

Andy York is coincidentally a member of my local forum on the Big Island.

We have a "Today I saw..." thread. I posted  -

"... and heard Andy Y interrogating a bloke and beating some useful information out of him.

Well done!"

He responded with "All the useful information comes when the tape's turned off and there's no witnesses."

If I hear any more from him...