IRM Steam Speculation

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Well if they’re going for the “Ol’ Reliable” of Irish steam, surely it would be the J15; then again, and as @DoctorPan says, the WTs have a lot in common with the LMS/BR Tanks, and making a whole range of them for both IRM and Accurascale might work, especially with their high concentration in both countries. Revisiting the whole idea of a IRM-Accurascale range, the GSR Moguls/SECR N Class might be a good choice. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a GNRI 4-4-0 or a B1a, though.

• Like 1

I asked Facebook this question “tick which locos you would pay and buy” and the awnser was an overwhelming 21 percent of respondents saying they would buy at least 1 800 Class. 10 percent going with NCC Jeep, 8 percent would buy a J-15 and 7 percent would buy an S class. That’s out of almost 150 voters as it stands….very interesting I must say that the 800s did so well

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I asked Facebook this question “tick which locos you would pay and buy” and the awnser was an overwhelming 21 percent of respondents saying they would buy at least 1 800 Class. 10 percent going with NCC Jeep, 8 percent would buy a J-15 and 7 percent would buy an S class. That’s out of almost 150 voters as it stands….very interesting I must say that the 800s did so well

A thing like that would become THE sought-after loco of all time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, John-r said:

I did reply on Facebook, and while I would buy an 800 class, I would definitely buy at least two ncc jeeps to run with my outstandingly good rake of provincial wagons spoil wagons.

Regards John.

Splendid chap! Knows a good thing when he sees it!

This thread is great fun, but with TWO "Mogul Tanks", TWO S Class (and one building) and TWO J15s, it's academic for me (I've been around so long).

But, a Compound .........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

GSR 800 FTW!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

GSR 800 FTW!!!

I think everyone would buy one even as something that don’t run. Just a looker

10 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

After 250 responses. The results have not changed much at all. The 800 is down 1 percent

9 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

On another group I asked the same question and while a slightly lower turnout of 65 people. 17 percent still wanted an 800, 14 percent wanted a J-15 (good news for them) DSER 461 got 11 percent. 

At about 80 voters On this one the 800s stand at 19, 11 for a J-15 and DSER 461 at 10  

the big flaw in this type of questionare is the fact it does not take into account how many somone would buy of X amount of one particular loco. But for buying individually it seems there is only one that takes the cake. I imagine the numbers would be much closer otherwise 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, connollystn said:

My money is on IRM producing a model of the GSR 800 class locomotives, most people would want a few of those and ideal for anyone modeling the mid-50s.

I wont complain about that :) 

1 hour ago, Niles said:

While I won't wager money on it, a model O&K with accurate valve gear and motion would be a thing of beauty.

Would they be covered in HO?

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, connollystn said:

My money is on IRM producing a model of the GSR 800 class locomotives, most people would want a few of those and ideal for anyone modeling the mid-50s.

While it would only be ideal for a small percentage of layouts. I bet may would apply Rule 1 to get Maebh down onto there tracks. While my guess is whatever is next won’t be an 800. That Facebook survey proves its….somehow…..a viable option

Id probobly buy 800 in CIE livery and MAYBE 801 in CIE livery and get it weathered as she got west cork beet trains between cork and mallow and is shown doing so in the west cork DVD.

special edition 800 GSR 

801 GSR 

802 GSR

800 CIE

801 CIE 

802 CIE 

800 cultra edition (CIE livery with Great southern tender) 

802 Tailte would be a very interesting model for a certain tour operator 😁

not to mention radio train attachments and the USA visit attachment 

imagine a box A1 style with a repro maebh plate on the front 🤤

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 3

While it would only be ideal for a small percentage of layouts. I bet may would apply Rule 1 to get Maebh down onto there tracks. While my guess is whatever is next won’t be an 800. That Facebook survey proves its….somehow…..a viable option

Id probobly buy 800 in CIE livery and MAYBE 801 in CIE livery and get it weathered as she got west cork beet trains between cork and mallow and is shown doing so in the west cork DVD.

special edition 800 GSR 

801 GSR 

802 GSR

800 CIE

801 CIE 

802 CIE 

800 cultra edition (CIE livery with Great southern tender) 

802 Tailte would be a very interesting model for a certain tour operator 😁

not to mention radio train attachments and the USA visit attachment 

imagine a box A1 style with a repro maebh plate on the front 🤤

Theres quite a wide variety of possible variants for the 800s, though I think the most likely will be 

800, 801, 802 in GSR green

800, 801, 802 in CIE dark green with the later tender (I'm unsure if all three recieved the new tenders, 800 has 82), smokebox door wheel and additional handrail on smokebox door, and escutcheon removed from tender (immediately after CIE takeover there was a small flying snail on the escutcheon).

801 and 802 have the single chimneys from the early 50s onward (looks like Tailte may have been as early as late 40s)

Possibly variants with 801 and 802 in the lighter green also, which is what 801 wore during her last few beet seasons and the IRRS tour in 1961-2

But their are dozens of possible variants, though this is pie in the sky stuff.

800 in original shop (unlikely)

all three in GSR green (likely)

all three in CIE green, mid 50s condition (most likely)

all three in postwar CIE condition (before modification but with CIE green, variety of small modifications, unlikely)

801+802 in CIE light green (mayybe?) (From what I've seen it was unlined? Could be wrong on that)

800 in Cultra (not sure)

Alas I'd be 70% sure the 800s won't be IRMs first Irish steam locomotive, though probably in their top 5 list at least as far as Irish steam goes. 

V class or S class would be my bet. Beautiful sky blue livery (and a few other variants for both classes) preserved locomotives, one currently running. Jeeps wouldn't be bad either but ehhh. Only have to worry about 5 locomotives for the V class and S class (unless you count the S2s)

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 4

While it would only be ideal for a small percentage of layouts.

Same could be said for the British A3s, as they only ever ran on ECML (I think), but Hornby's models of them still sell well. I'd say it's probably because a lot of modellers aren't looking into the exact details of a realistic fleet and just want to run trains.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, connollystn said:

It's most likely that we'll see models of the B101 or C201 classed before anything in steam arrives. Those locomotives are most likely to sell in great numbers and I can see us all still here in five years time speculating about which steam locomotive IRM are going to produce first.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:18 AM, BosKonay said:

I agree all should be encouraged but it’s also not sensible to assume that a RTR manufacturer won’t get to a prototype that runs with the RPSI in time. I can promise several things next year, including steam, but the j15 will not be coming from IRM in the next 24 months. 
Hope that clarifies what I mean by ‘never say never’. 

Guess it went over your head the first time

C class would do quite well, natural evolution from the A's

B101s I quite like, I'm sure they'd do fine, not sure if they'd sell in great numbers though.

• Like 1

If you're creative, there was a list of names for proposed additional 800s never built... Aoife off the top of my head (my sister's name so it stuck in my memory more than the others). I think @jhb171achill might have info on them.

Re: 'Cultra' edition 800, I believe it's CIÉ dark green with GS lettering, based on what supplies Inchicore had when sending her north.

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Niles said:

If you're creative, there was a list of names for proposed additional 800s never built... Aoife off the top of my head (my sister's name so it stuck in my memory more than the others). I think @jhb171achill might have info on them.

Deirdre and Grainne, don't remember anything about Aoife

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Niles said:

Re: 'Cultra' edition 800, I believe it's CIÉ dark green with GS lettering, based on what supplies Inchicore had when sending her north.

Correct. For anyone modelling a green CIE steam loco, 800 is in absolutely standard CIE green, lined accordingly. However the “G S” on the tender is wrong for this livery, as in that green they only ever had the flying snail.

Regarding 803 and 804, thete were rumours at the time of these being planned, and tentatively named “Deirdre”” and “Grainné” (not Aoife, though). However, both official sources and memory of people who would have been involved, e.g. my grandfather, fail to show any hard evidence of this.

At the very least, though, there was likely to have been talk of it in high places, as well as of the large 820 class tank engines which got to the drawing board but no further.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Niles said:

Don't be getting too excited and creative!

Three locos, each in three liveries, plus a Cultra special edition in a wooden box, and happy days, that's enough!

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

Same could be said for the British A3s, as they only ever ran on ECML (I think), but Hornby's models of them still sell well. I'd say it's probably because a lot of modellers aren't looking into the exact details of a realistic fleet and just want to run trains.

Sorry, BL, a little correction (I've read too many books), the A3s also ran on the former Great Central and in BR days the Midland route to Scotland (including the Waverley Route).

That said, the 800s (like, sadly, the VS) were very route restricted.

This thread is better than watching TV, more entertaining by far - no sulking former Royals, Jungle Bunny ex-Health Ministers, or pouting starlets on multi-coloured carpets .....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3