IRM Steam Speculation

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Yes I know many of us HATE speculation discussion and consider it a pointless waste of time but BosKonay has confirmed in the OO Works J15 thread that there will be a steam offering from IRM next year so am sorry but I can't resist a bit of musing......

So an IRM steam loco would need to have as wide an appeal as possible, timescale-wise and geographically, so I'm suggesting that it will most likely be an RPSI loco, maybe NCC No. 4 or GNR No. 171 - the latter might tie in nicely with ongoing efforts to complete the loco's restoration although if the model was announced next year then it might not appear until well into 2024 by which time I imagine the RPSI would hope to have 171 operational again.

131 might also be an option - the current livery scheme is very attractive I think.

A model of an RPSI loco would hopefully make good commercial sense and in typical IRM/Accurascale style, it might appear in a range of livery options, covering everything from original company service right through to preservation.

I don't think a J15 is an option, not after the OO Works models.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

My Christmas present for @BosKonay... 😆

oh dear….😅 didn’t think it was supposed to be top secret 

I’ll hope for a MGWR J26 or bandon….in the 2 or so years this takes to be announced cause there is  whole ICR we have to wait for yet

but if we’re being real…there is only one locomotive calling out for RTR in steam 

WCIR 4-4-2T 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

I was hoping for news on the Fintona tram fleet  traction. ... surely a no brainer for IRM. 

I'd wager my winnings from the WCIR bet on it being one of the other new announcements... but surely the only time steam was associated with that form of traction was after Dick had done his/her business on a cold morning??? 😀

Edited by Flying Snail
removing typos
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

I wager my winnings from the WCIR bet on it being one of the other new announcements... but surely the only time steam was associated with that form of traction was after Dick had done his/her business on a cold morning??? 😀

Dick was a mare

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

Considering how design savy the team have been with projects, I'd wager on a Jeep or Mogul, with their common LMS parts would be a boost to an Accurascale LMS offering.

That or Fran wants a model of Pat or Sambo.

i bet this thread came in handy in the process of choosing the locomotive….so accurascale could also have a go 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

Dick was a mare

There was more than one though, wasn't there? I don't know, were they all mares?

But getting back on track ...  I think DoctorPan is probably right. I'd say a Jeep - IRM like to be able to view and measure the prototype plus there's plenty of photos available of them in service. Could then be leveraged for an NCC Mogul and maybe elements of it for an LMS project????

Edited by Flying Snail

1 hour ago, Blaine said:

Au contrare, an IRM J15 will look better and more importantly run better than the OO Works ones.

No argument there, as that would apply to everything IRM produces. But I can’t see them standing on the toes of a relatively small manufacturer, as this might discourage them from producing further Irish models.

Taking on the big boys with a much better Deltic and class 37 is one thing but I couldn’t see IRM trying to outdo OO Works.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

No argument there, as that would apply to everything IRM produces. But I can’t see them standing on the toes of a relatively small manufacturer, as this might discourage them from producing further Irish models.

Taking on the big boys with a much better Deltic and class 37 is one thing but I couldn’t see IRM trying to outdo OO Works.

It's a competitive market ultimately, not everyone is friends and you need rivalry to make better models to higher standards. Notice Accurascale pushed on with the 37 after Bachmann quickly announced theirs and it will be available soon

Anything IRM is mass produced to a standard. OO Works are small numbers and hand assembled in the UK, basically pre-assembled whitemetal kits, compared to mass assembled IRM items. The IRM model will be a lot easier to get a hold of, along with better running and warranty backup. True RTR and not a niche manufacturer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

It would also be scale size... #justsayin! 

Yes and an IRM J15 would be DCC ready, have lights, sound and more fine scale detail. And be better runners.  I had to jump through hoops to get sound fitted in one of my 00 Works J15s.  Would not be keen on 171 as 4-4-0 models are are usually horrible runners in 00 gauge, just can't get over a set of points without stalling below the speed of sound. J15 seems logical from a commercial point of view. Enjoy my three 00 Works locos but they are not exactly fine scale and very limited livery variations.

Edited by Noel

2 hours ago, connollystn said:

Can't imagine IRM ever producing a model steam locomotive for the Irish market as the demand just isn't there.

Tell that to IRM..

2 hours ago, Blaine said:

Au contrare, an IRM J15 will look better and more importantly run better than the OO Works ones.

1 hour ago, Blaine said:

It's a competitive market ultimately, not everyone is friends and you need rivalry to make better models to higher standards. Notice Accurascale pushed on with the 37 after Bachmann quickly announced theirs and it will be available soon

Anything IRM is mass produced to a standard. OO Works are small numbers and hand assembled in the UK, basically pre-assembled whitemetal kits, compared to mass assembled IRM items. The IRM model will be a lot easier to get a hold of, along with better running and warranty backup. True RTR and not a niche manufacturer

I'm neither here nor there with this, Ireland is a much smaller market, Though I think an IRM J15 would do well, its not as safe a bet as other preserved types, even if they were the largest class of loco in the country. I think, at least for their first Irish steam model they'd go with something else, money being on GNR, maybe NCC types. I'd lean GNR for the first one. No doubt it'd be the better model though, nothing against 00 works just a fact. If IRM dropped J15s I'd buy two anyway, just as I bought two A's. 

And the silverfox A's have seemingly vanished from all layouts...

In the British market you have the numbers and arguable 'stagnation' from the big two giving room for competitors to produce better models at lower prices.

My bet would be on a V class, maybe something NCC though the time for that would surely be to coincide with the Moguls completion. Of course theres the precedent there with 4-6-0s for the 800s but I wont be holding my breath since she's not RPSI.

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 1

Properly sprung bogie, multiple pickups, and proper balancing and your 4-4-0 should be fine, especially if plastic. The OO works one is a big lump of metal struggling to balance itself. We’ll see how smart I am in a few weeks when my 4-4-0 starts her trials….😣

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

The best steam locomotive for IRM to produce is No. 4. It was one of the last steam locomotives to operate in the British Isles and it would be right in the middle (or end) of CIE's modernisation programme. It could run along side any of CIE's diesel traction which was in operation at the time of No.4's withdrawal from service.

• Like 1

Like I said earlier, Never say never. Rumors of our lack of steam are quite unfounded and in time we will make everything we can that we’d like ourselves too  

Since launch we’ve driven a lot of growth in Irish outline, even converting UK outline accurascale customers to the green side. 

We also have the benefit of a strong and growing UK outline business which can subsidize Irish models that might not be very attractive otherwise. Both models that cross borders and Irish models that can be funded through Uk activities. 
For the Irish modeller it’s a great opportunity.