eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First edition Doyle/Hirsch rolling stock book, bids starting at £2 & ends in two days if anyone is still on the look for a copy at reasonable prices:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCOMOTIVES-ROLLING-STOCK-OF-CORAS-IOMPAIR-EIREANN-NORTHERN-IRELAND-RAILWAY/264923945235?hash=item3daeb29913:g:xd0AAOSw7TNfobo-

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

First edition Doyle/Hirsch rolling stock book, bids starting at £2 & ends in two days if anyone is still on the look for a copy at reasonable prices:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCOMOTIVES-ROLLING-STOCK-OF-CORAS-IOMPAIR-EIREANN-NORTHERN-IRELAND-RAILWAY/264923945235?hash=item3daeb29913:g:xd0AAOSw7TNfobo-

Thanks I don't have a copy so I will watch this one, unless anyone else wants it.

Colin Rainsbury 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

Thanks I don't have a copy so I will watch this one, unless anyone else wants it.

Colin Rainsbury 

Good luck mate :)

14 minutes ago, murphaph said:

How many editions were there of the Doyle & Hirsch rolling stock book? I count three, up to Irish Rail in 1987. Was there a fourth covering IE?

Three.

1st - 1979, 001 Class on cover

2nd - 1981, NIR 111 on cover

3rd - 1987, DART EMU on cover 

Technically the 1987 covers IÉ in a fashion as that's when CIÉ split the rail operations into Irish Rail/Iarnród Éireann and the book reflects this by changing the title from Locomotives and Rolling Stock of Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways to Locomotives and Rolling Stock of Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways for the final edition.

For post-1987 you want the Irish Traction Group books published in four editions - 1987, 1989, 1994 and 2004.

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Hi all,

I've just seen USED copies of this book on Amazon - both UK & USA - for silly money!!😳 Is there something special about it that I'm missing? 🤔

Amazon.co.uk £146 & £219

Amazon.com $386

1 hour ago, Shane McD said:

Hi all,

I've just seen USED copies of this book on Amazon - both UK & USA - for silly money!!😳 Is there something special about it that I'm missing? 🤔

Amazon.co.uk £146 & £219

Amazon.com $386

They seem quite sought after, but really any more than £30 is utterly obscene.

They can be difficult to obtain, months can go by with none available - it took me 18 months to source all 3. After obtaining 1987 first it was 17 months until I found 1981 and then less than two weeks later I managed to get 1979! In other words it's your luck on how long it takes to source them all.

The ITG books by comparison seem easier to obtain and are usually cheaper on average, I think it's like anything - the greater the demand and rarity the higher the price but those copies at over £100 are just not going to shift. There is still, over 3 years after I first saw it, a copy of 1987 for sale at £50 no one has bought it in all that time. Copies at less than £20 do sell well though.

47 minutes ago, Noel said:

Seems a expensive alright on Amazon for what will become a dust collector once its been perused.

I often refer back to mine fairly frequently as while I can easily recall the Mk2d and Mk3 number series the older coaching stock are too numerous in type and variants to recall all the number series and types so I regularly look back for that information.

I will say I prefer the ITG books, they have more information such as preserved stock, loco working diagrams and speed restriction tables and better photos but the Doyle/Hirsch books are invaluable for the late-1970s to 1980s modeller IMHO.

Perhaps a fair comparison would be that the Doyle/Hirsch are like a Platform 5 pocket book while the ITG books are more akin to a Platform 5 Combined volume.

Edited by hexagon789
Innumerable typographical and grammatical errors
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

The Doyle tombs do however cover the freight fleets with number goups listed and small black and white photos which is a great helping hand.The ITG ones I have are passenger based but are also a great help with good colour pics.  Unless you like ICRs the latest volume might be seen as a bit of a disappointment! but that is progress I guess. 

Robert. 

I remembering getting the Doyle & Hirsch volumes relatively cheap on Amazon about 10 years ago (and they were well out of print then) - mad how they've suddenly rocketed in value. As a carriage-nerd I find them quite useful.

The ITG's Traction & Travel volumes are also quite good for listing mileage tables and the like for routes open at the time of publication, along with loco stopped & withdrawn dates.

The ITG had another title issued circa 1997, Irish Locomotives & Rolling Stock, a neat little pocket book which listed preserved locos and carriages as well as those of IÉ/NIR (including some obscure narrow gauge locations).

How would you guys rate Irish Railways Traction & Travel by Peter Jones
I have a second edition, 1989, with black & white & colour photos
Very comprehensive sections on all locos and coaching stock, including DMU's & Darts
One downside is that there is no freight sectionP1120867.thumb.JPG.2b4cd8bc1993690c845cb7d736b763dd.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

23 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Very comprehensive sections on all locos and coaching stock, including DMU's & Darts
One downside is that there is no freight sectionP1120867.thumb.JPG.2b4cd8bc1993690c845cb7d736b763dd.JPG

I think it is of great use as a reference work for what's in it. As far as I can gather (as much in it is too modern to be my PRIMARY interest), it appears to be highly accurate.

My only issue with some of these "spotter's" books is that when you've got a vehicle which was, let us say, a 1972 conversion of a vehicle originally built in 1952, it will describe it and conclude "Introduced in 1972". OK, that's accurate, but could the building date not be added too, as in "Built 1952, Converted 1972", with a footnote at the start of the book to explain what the two dates signify?

That would be of immense use to researchers / historians, and modellers.

So that's my tuppence-worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

The Doyle tombs do however cover the freight fleets with number goups listed and small black and white photos which is a great helping hand.The ITG ones I have are passenger based but are also a great help with good colour pics.  Unless you like ICRs the latest volume might be seen as a bit of a disappointment! but that is progress I guess. 

Robert. 

The freight info is why I think 1987 in particular is quite sought after.

27 minutes ago, Niles said:

I remembering getting the Doyle & Hirsch volumes relatively cheap on Amazon about 10 years ago (and they were well out of print then) - mad how they've suddenly rocketed in value. As a carriage-nerd I find them quite useful.

The ITG's Traction & Travel volumes are also quite good for listing mileage tables and the like for routes open at the time of publication, along with loco stopped & withdrawn dates.

The ITG had another title issued circa 1997, Irish Locomotives & Rolling Stock, a neat little pocket book which listed preserved locos and carriages as well as those of IÉ/NIR (including some obscure narrow gauge locations).

They are very infrequently found now, perhaps everyone into modelling atm that wanted then bought them 10 years ago!

I don't mind admitting how much I spent on them, perhaps it will demonstrate why these £100+ figures for one book are far too much in my view - I spent £35.99 on all 3 together, the 3rd edition cost me the most.

I will also admit to being a carriage-nerd too! ;)

23 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I like them, the 1987 edition is one of my most prized Irish railway stock books because it's right on the threshold between the old and the new so to speak.

1 minute ago, jhb171achill said:

I think it is of great use as a reference work for what's in it. As far as I can gather (as much in it is too modern to be my PRIMARY interest), it appears to be highly accurate.

That is one slightly concern of mine though - accuracy. I used to assume the data was 100% accurate however since obtaining them there are some discrepancies between certain coaching stock details between them and information as per IRRS journals and indeed one discrepancy, perpetuated also by Platform 5, which I found photographic evidence to disprove.

Edit: I should add I'm referring to the ITG books, I've never found any of the data in the Doyle/Hirsch books to be at odds with the Journals

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NIR said:

Great cover, happy and sad!

I never noticed that before either, but once you've had it pointed out you can't forget it! 

8 minutes ago, Niles said:

Worth noting that journals like the ITG's The Irish Mail and the IRRS Journal effectively provide a rolling update to these books for stock changes, stoppages, entries to traffic, withdrawl dates, re-numberings etc. 

I hate to have to say this, but given there are discrepancies as I've outlined, which source can one trust implicitly?

Is there one?

It's rather different now because for the present rolling stock one could simply physically go and check (ignoring the virus situation of course), but for stock which no longer operates it is of course impossible one has to trust books/magazines have their figures correct and they don't always.

If two or more sources agree I think it's reasonable to accept the data as correct but when they don't - it's very difficult to know which figure to take as correct.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:58 PM, Niles said:

This is another one which you can spend a small fortune on...

Amazon.co.uk is selling a "New" copy for.....wait for it......£907!!😳😳😳😳😳

Of if you can't quite afford that a "Used" copy from £9.80.😁

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IRISH-LOCOMOTIVES-ROLLING-MARSHALL-ANDREW/dp/B001OA82C8

Edited by Shane McD
  • WOW! 1

6 hours ago, Shane McD said:

This is another one which you can spend a small fortune on...

Amazon.co.uk is selling a "New" copy for.....wait for it......£907!!😳😳😳😳😳

Of if you can't quite afford that a "Used" copy from £9.80.😁

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IRISH-LOCOMOTIVES-ROLLING-MARSHALL-ANDREW/dp/B001OA82C8

🤯 I think I paid around a fiver or so for a new one back in the day... bargain so!

• Funny 1

From 1 January 2021, eBay will be legally required to begin collecting and remitting VAT for UK imports. From that date, eBay will have to charge buyers the applicable VAT amount directly and remit this sum to the relevant authorities.

Irish sellers trading with UK buyers and listing on the UK or any EU site will need to provide both gross prices as well as the applicable VAT rate used to calculate the gross price on all listings. If sellers do not specify gross prices and VAT rates, eBay will have to assume that the price provided is the net price, and will add VAT on top of the price displayed to buyers.

• Like 2

As a result the market will cool for a while the implications and ramifications sink in and adjustments made to the lack of  easy of purchases. I guess we just had it lucky now the pain that others around the globe trying to trade will be experienced in this bit of the globe.   Like the U boats in the early years - the happy days are over.

I am sorry that the UK has gone down this isolationist path but at least it does mean it can return albeit a poorer player in future years.   

Robert

• Like 3